Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
12 crawler(s) on-line.
 87 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  58 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 26 mins ago
 Maijestro:  1 hr 39 mins ago
 Hypex:  1 hr 40 mins ago
 fingus:  2 hrs 1 min ago
 dirkzwager:  2 hrs 5 mins ago
 Karlos:  2 hrs 20 mins ago
 amigagr:  2 hrs 27 mins ago
 MagicSN:  2 hrs 35 mins ago
 pixie:  2 hrs 49 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  Posting from VCF Show
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
PosterThread
Mrodfr 
Re: Posting from VCF Show
Posted on 20-Jun-2010 9:52:18
#101 ]

@all

I would like k to have more explanations about Acube:

- just seen that they manage to make a card for mpeg decoding ????

the point that disturb me for the sam46 are:

- one sata slot ???
- low resolution miniPCI card on the SAM460 ???

Where are the explanations/comment/pictures for Acube and their SAM460 board ???

Last edited by Mrodfr on 20-Jun-2010 at 09:53 AM.

-A1200+Mediator+VooDoo3+060/50+96mo+SCSI-KIT
-SAM440EP-667mhz-on MapowerKC3000+AOS4.1

Amiga Docs Disks Preservation Project

Profile     Report this post  
DAX 
Posted on 20-Jun-2010 10:33:26
#102 ]
Elite Member

Nice to see progress in the Amiga scene, a year ago THIS kind of crowd would have been just a dream, not to mention all these happenings (both low-end and hi-end HW options in the making), which simply corroborates the obvious: if it stands still, interest in the platform fades, when it starts moving again things might change.

Big kudos to all that are making this happen.

pavlor 
Posted on 20-Jun-2010 10:37:40
#103 ]
Elite Member

@CodeSmith

Quote:
I predict the X1000 will feel faster than the 460, but nowhere near 3.6x as fast.

In comparison to 1 GHz G4, PA6T could be 3 times faster (in sense Y=3*X) in integer operations and probably 8 times faster in FPU operations (based on the SPEC CPU 2000 numbers estimated by PA Semi).

However, we don´t know the CPU yet.

SHADES 
Posted on 20-Jun-2010 11:18:45
#104 ]
Cult Member

@ChrisH

Quote:

ChrisH wrote:
@umisef Quote:
What *is* that header? What does the mystery box *do*? And what monitor is it hooked up to?

Previously we have been told that OS4 on the X1000 has to boot over the network (until they finish the "BIOS"), so it may have had something to do with that.

EDIT: I am probably wrong, since Trevor said (in the video) that OS4 has only been booting for a few days on the X1000. I guess he meant booting directly off the HD. But since he said it was running "debug software" your guess is probably right.

@Shades Quote:
Sorry Trev, that is not going to be affordable for most people.

Welcome to reality! I've been saying it's going to cost circa £1500 for a long time. A-Eon only expect to sell X1000 to a few people, because it is a *high end* Amiga (remember how much an A4000 cost relative to an A1200!). If you want something (relatively) cheap, then the aSam460 or Sam440 is a much better idea.

Hello??? The 4000 back then wasn't a hobby PC, it COMPETED and was used for Big end graphics manipulation / multi media applications and work horse scenarios. You can't even start to compare a $3800.00 AUS AMIGA with a similar spec x86 PC and this is for a HOBBY!
You're sure right in saying they only expect to sell a few! They will have to charge a fortune cause no one but someone with cash to burn is going to buy one.
A SAM can't compete with my OS3.9 Win UAE computer, why the hell would I spend $1500 or above on a SAM when I can do more under emulation.

Seriously not right. I love my AMIGA, I even am rebuilding a 4000 out of spares in my shed atm, I donated for Timberwolf and to help give developer boards to people who can help develop the AMIGA base even though I can't even run OS4! but this??? this is not reasonable.
Why oh why the hell didn't they pick a standard Intel board or something ad port like that. I will seriously need to wait till OS4.1/4.2 get run by Next Generation WinUAE or other emulator so I can enjoy playing with AMIGA. This is far beyond hobby, it's like trying to buy a Mercedes look alike for the same price as an actual! minus the performance mind you.
AMIGA is fast turning in to RICH man's hobby only.

I'm not happy at all. *Folds arms and frowns.

Last edited by SHADES on 20-Jun-2010 at 11:21 AM.

Valwit 
Posted on 20-Jun-2010 11:24:28
#105 ]

Quote:

cv643d wrote:
What is "north of 1500", Is it 1599 or 1999?

for me it means that it's like getting a porsche 911 but with a 30 mph limit and a 5 litres tank. sorry but as long as the OS does not support the hardware (64 bit, both cores running) and does not have wifi, BT fully running usb i won't even consider it, at least not if it supposed to cost so much.

DAX 
Posted on 20-Jun-2010 11:45:06
#106 ]
Elite Member

@ALL-------------> "PRICE"

Much ado about "NOTHING" really.
I see much fuss done for a post made by user Tommo1975 but nobody cared for user djrikki who in the very same thread (over at Amigans) says he heard "less than ¤1500" and with all THAT CONFUSION where everybody is saying they couldn't clearly hear a thing, it's quite understandable.

I'm not quoting any of the two with any attendibility as when the same questions were answered yesterday by Hyperionmp here at AW, he said they are still shaving the price searching savings for several parts and that they cannot know the final price until they do that.

Last edited by DAX on 20-Jun-2010 at 11:45 AM.

yoodoo2 
Posted on 20-Jun-2010 11:45:07
#107 ]

@SHADES

Quote:
This is far beyond hobby,

Depends on your hobby. I have many friends who have season tickets to their fav football club: £500 per year, plus replica shirts (£50 per year) plus food/drink for each match (min £20 x 20), plus travel etc : total is approx £80 per month. I have other friends interested in classic cars who spend a lot, lot more on their hobby and another who spends more than that on a week's holiday in a country cottage each year.

If the X1000 lasts 3 years, it would work out at about half that amount.

So, yes, expensive for a computer, especially if it's just going to be used for internet and running 15+ yr old 68k apps that can be done on commodity hardware.

But expensive for a hobby? Not really.

The X1000 has always been aimed at the higher end of the market and no-one has ever said it is meant to sell in the thousands. The SAM boards fill the lower end of the market and are reliable, proven hardware that run OS4 with very acceptable performance - the 460 version will provide a good middle ground between the 440 and the X1000. Plus, I imagine there will be a few second hand boards around when the X1000 is available.

We ran 5 Recursion Computer Fairs before hitting the exit condition

pavlor 
Posted on 20-Jun-2010 11:50:12
#108 ]
Elite Member

@SHADES

Quote:
A SAM can't compete with my OS3.9 Win UAE computer, why the hell would I spend $1500 or above on a SAM when I can do more under emulation.

I don´t think that emulated eviroment is faster (or better) than SAM...
Sure, on Core i7 you can have little bit faster emulated CPU than SAM. But no (working) 3D accelleration and almost no basic applications. Where is modern web browser for OS3? Or MS Word compatible word processor? Or useable DVD player? Or PDF reader (no aPDF is not acceptable)?
I still use and love my emulated OS 3.9 on computer of my brother, but this OS is nearly 10 years old and I would like to play with something more recent. Although X1000 will be probably too expensive for me, SAM460 could be interesting.

However, X86 port would be (more than) nice.

SHADES 
Posted on 20-Jun-2010 12:14:31
#109 ]
Cult Member

@pavlor

Quote:

pavlor wrote:
@SHADES

Quote:

I don´t think that emulated eviroment is faster (or better) than SAM...
Sure, on Core i7 you can have little bit faster emulated CPU than SAM. But no (working) 3D accelleration and almost no basic applications. Where is modern web browser for OS3? Or MS Word compatible word processor? Or useable DVD player? Or PDF reader (no aPDF is not acceptable)?
I still use and love my emulated OS 3.9 on computer of my brother, but this OS is nearly 10 years old and I would like to play with something more recent. Although X1000 will be probably too expensive for me, SAM460 could be interesting.

However, X86 port would be (more than) nice.

@pavlor

Plays DVD mpeg on my quad core AMD. No I7 there.
MPEG, not an issue.

WordsWorth 7 is word compatible and I use it.
Haven't looked for a PDF reader, I'll check aminet and let you know.

You must run a very old version of WinUAE to get that kind of terrible performance.

Last edited by SHADES on 20-Jun-2010 at 12:15 PM.

SHADES 
Posted on 20-Jun-2010 12:18:36
#110 ]
Cult Member

@yoodoo2

Quote:

yoodoo2 wrote:
@SHADES

Quote:
This is far beyond hobby,

Depends on your hobby. I have many friends who have season tickets to their fav football club: £500 per year, plus replica shirts (£50 per year) plus food/drink for each match (min £20 x 20), plus travel etc : total is approx £80 per month. I have other friends interested in classic cars who spend a lot, lot more on their hobby and another who spends more than that on a week's holiday in a country cottage each year.

If the X1000 lasts 3 years, it would work out at about half that amount.

So, yes, expensive for a computer, especially if it's just going to be used for internet and running 15+ yr old 68k apps that can be done on commodity hardware.

But expensive for a hobby? Not really.

The X1000 has always been aimed at the higher end of the market and no-one has ever said it is meant to sell in the thousands. The SAM boards fill the lower end of the market and are reliable, proven hardware that run OS4 with very acceptable performance - the 460 version will provide a good middle ground between the 440 and the X1000. Plus, I imagine there will be a few second hand boards around when the X1000 is available.

I would say, yes it is expensive. That's your opinion. 3 years is an eternity in the PC sector! have you done any market research? 6 months is the tops for a PC!
I very much doubt, they will sell more of these x1000 than they do football tickets.
Holy cow, do you remember how hard SONY have found the console market with PS3 and it's pricing??? Seriously, it's not hard to see, this IS expensive as far as hobbies go.
You may not find $1599 expensive, but a truck load of people will.

Shall we put this to a POLL perhaps and see what users, the people apparently to buy it think??? Let's see how right you are there.

I think it's a fortune and just about unaffordable as it can get for me and I DONATE to the community so don't start with the "don't buy it then garbage." I'm upset. This is NOT the way for AMIGA to continue in to the future.
Dare I say it, most can't justify to "play" like that.

Last edited by SHADES on 20-Jun-2010 at 12:22 PM.
Last edited by SHADES on 20-Jun-2010 at 12:21 PM.

shortcircuit 
Posted on 20-Jun-2010 12:19:24
#111 ]

@SHADES

Quote:

You can't even start to compare a $3800.00 AUS AMIGA with a similar spec x86 PC and this is for a HOBBY!

How exactly did you conjure up this figure of AUS$3800.
At todays exchange rate £1500 is about AUS$2550.

Spectre660 
Posted on 20-Jun-2010 12:23:22
#112 ]
Elite Member

@ChrisH

How do you take advantgage of a computer with 64bit dual core processor ?
Especially when the motherboard was designed with input from the OS developers ? .
Do you take the OS from 32Bit to 64Bit and support multiple cores and more .?
This to me sounds what would be a complete MAP.

Quote:

ChrisH wrote:
@Spectre660 Quote:
Will Hyperion take a gamble and fork the Amiga OS at this point ?

Don't be daft. They wouldn't do that, nor do they need to.

SHADES 
Posted on 20-Jun-2010 12:24:02
#113 ]
Cult Member

Quote:

shortcircuit wrote:
@SHADES

Quote:

You can't even start to compare a $3800.00 AUS AMIGA with a similar spec x86 PC and this is for a HOBBY!

How exactly did you conjure up this figure of AUS$3800.
At todays exchange rate £1500 is about AUS$2550.

@shortcircuit

they said north of 1500 that to me means over. Not less than, the low end or they would have said south of 1500. Maybe 3800 was a little overboard but 3000 isn't far off. I wonder if that includes shipping

Last edited by SHADES on 20-Jun-2010 at 12:26 PM.
Last edited by SHADES on 20-Jun-2010 at 12:24 PM.

Tommo1975 
Posted on 20-Jun-2010 12:36:11
#114 ]

@DAX

No confusion about the price at all.

Amiga1Productions YouTube video allows you to see the answer yourself;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EaSN3IuZII

at 5:20 into the video the exchange ls;

Question : "How much is it gonna cost?"
Answer : "I dunno, I really don't know. It's gonna be north of £1,500. Definatly. It can't be any cheaper"

Last edited by Tommo1975 on 20-Jun-2010 at 12:37 PM.

DAX 
Posted on 20-Jun-2010 12:36:56
#115 ]
Elite Member

@SHADES
3.9 environment on Windows is just pointless. The aim is modernizing the platform and these are incredible first steps made in a few months.

I won't start talking about modern browsing, FLASH, what kind of 3D is possible today etc. etc. (and don't start with "i do that in windows" silly argument, the point is doing that ON AMIGA) I will instead point your attention to the fact that after porting OS4.1 to the X1000, they will start modernizing the OS in order to take advantage of it.

The whole thing is about modernizing Amiga for 2011-2012-2015 and so on, not running 3.x on WinUAE .

@Tommo:

Last edited by DAX on 20-Jun-2010 at 12:38 PM.

SHADES 
Posted on 20-Jun-2010 12:41:35
#116 ]
Cult Member

@DAX

Quote:

DAX wrote:
@SHADES
3.9 environment on Windows is just pointless. The aim is modernizing the platform and these are incredible first steps made in a few months.

I won't start talking about modern browsing, FLASH, what kind of 3D is possible today etc. etc. (and don't start with "i do that in windows" silly argument, the point is doing that ON AMIGA) I will instead point your attention to the fact that after porting OS4.1 to the X1000, they will start modernizing the OS in order to take advantage of it.

The whole thing is about modernizing Amiga for 2011-2012-2015 and so on, not running 3.x on WinUAE .

@Tommo:

What the hell is the point of "Modernising" anything if hardly anyone can afford to use it huh?
Seriously.

DAX 
Posted on 20-Jun-2010 12:44:41
#117 ]
Elite Member

@Tommo1975
Thanks for that.

But I'll give you another piece too: Balmer used to state things that were later corrected and in fact later than that video (this morning actually) Hyperion MP in this very thread posted (look for it on the previous page),

Quote:
Pricing is very indicative yet at this stage and certainly not set in stone. We still need to go through the exercise of cost shaving. We certainly expect to realize some savings on peripherals and some components. Because of the very volatile currency markets, it is very hard to nail this down now.

So they might squeeze it somewhat

yoodoo2 
Posted on 20-Jun-2010 12:45:59
#118 ]

@SHADES

Quote:
6 months is the tops for a PC!

You buy a new PC every 6 months?

Personally, I like to get at least 3 years out of a PC/laptop - and that's one I use every day for work and takes some pretty serious usage.

My A1 has been running for 7 years and is still going strong. That works out at less than £10 per month - pretty cheap for a hobby, I reckon.

Of course the X1000 is expensive and of course many people who might buy one won't be able to. That doesn't make it an expensive hobby though in relation to many, many others.

It is all about choices. Soon, there will be a high-end choice as well as a mid-range choice. Will we ever see a low range, ultra cheap choice to run OS4? Probably not.

We ran 5 Recursion Computer Fairs before hitting the exit condition

Tommo1975 
Posted on 20-Jun-2010 12:46:16
#119 ]

@SHADES

Quote:

What the hell is the point of "Modernising" anything if hardly anyone can afford to use it huh?
Seriously.

Hopefully, X1000 allows them to begin the modernisation process of the O/S, then in the years down the line, cheaper hardware appears with dual core 64bit processors etc that the ordinary Amiga loving person can afford.

The tricky thing now is how Hyperion straddle the divide between the dual core 64bit X1000 community and the single core SAM community, without forking the user base, but allowing the OS to make maximum use out of both hardware platforms.

Last edited by Tommo1975 on 20-Jun-2010 at 12:51 PM.

SHADES 
Posted on 20-Jun-2010 12:49:41
#120 ]
Cult Member

@yoodoo2

Quote:

yoodoo2 wrote:
@SHADES

Quote:
6 months is the tops for a PC!

You buy a new PC every 6 months?

Personally, I like to get at least 3 years out of a PC/laptop - and that's one I use every day for work and takes some pretty serious usage.

My A1 has been running for 7 years and is still going strong. That works out at less than £10 per month - pretty cheap for a hobby, I reckon.

Of course the X1000 is expensive and of course many people who might buy one won't be able to. That doesn't make it an expensive hobby though in relation to many, many others.

It is all about choices. Soon, there will be a high-end choice as well as a mid-range choice. Will we ever see a low range, ultra cheap choice to run OS4? Probably not.

PCs are considered out of date in 6 months. I didn't make those rules.
1 core, 2 cores, 3 cores 4 cores 6 cores.......dirext x 8, 9, 10 11 on the gpu
ddr2 ddr3 usb 1 usb2 usb3. sereo sound, quad sound 5.1 sound 7.1 sound
the list goes on. It's market based assessment.

I have never spent $2000 > on a PC appart from an AMIGA 4000 years ago, when I was single and it took years to get.
The PCs I get are never "High End" I can't afford them

Gee, does this sound familiar?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle