Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
8 crawler(s) on-line.
 132 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 A1200:  37 mins ago
 michalsc:  42 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 18 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 41 mins ago
 clint:  1 hr 45 mins ago
 amigang:  2 hrs 56 mins ago
 Tpod:  3 hrs 36 mins ago
 pixie:  3 hrs 41 mins ago
 Birbo:  3 hrs 55 mins ago
 Hammer:  4 hrs 2 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  Posting from VCF Show
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
PosterThread
bernd_afa 
Re: Posting from VCF Show
Posted on 20-Jun-2010 12:49:50
#121 ]
Cult Member

http://www.sguidetti.net/wp-content/gallery/vcf2010/dscf1531.jpg

and thats the X1000 ?
The heatsink look realy small on the CPU, if it should be a pa6 CPU it have a TDP of 17 Watt.

When look at passive Heatsink specs, a 53 mm * 53 mm *16 mm Heatsink have a rate of 7,3 Kelvin /Watt.

http://www.conrad.de/ce/de/product/188549/PGA-CPU-KUeHLKOeRPER-53-X-53-MM/SHOP_AREA_27805&promotionareaSearchDetail=005

Its a german page, but you can look at the value R th .... 7.3 K /W

This mean a CPU that use 1 Watt increase the temperature in the Heat sink of 7,3 Kelvin.

A CPU with a TDP of 10 Watt increase temperature of 73 Kelvin of the heatsink.To get real temperature in the CPU, you need add the Kelvin of the surrounding temperature too.
Airflow give better values.so there are use Fans on the Heatsink, when TDP get over 10 Watt.

I think the X1000 CPU can not have more TDP as 6 Watt CPU with this HeatSink and a pa6t as X1000 CPU is maybe then not possible.

maybe somebody that have see the X1000 can give more precise info about the HeatSink size of the X1000.

But because the X1000 Heatsink is not so high and have not so much free space, i think it have higher Kelvin /Watt as 7.3

the better cooler is of course this with lower Kelvin /Watt.

Last edited by bernd_afa on 20-Jun-2010 at 12:54 PM.
Last edited by bernd_afa on 20-Jun-2010 at 12:52 PM.
Last edited by bernd_afa on 20-Jun-2010 at 12:51 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
SHADES 
Posted on 20-Jun-2010 12:53:05
#122 ]
Cult Member

@Tommo1975

Quote:

Tommo1975 wrote:
@SHADES

Quote:

What the hell is the point of "Modernising" anything if hardly anyone can afford to use it huh?
Seriously.

Hopefully, X1000 allows them to begin the modernisation process of the O/S, then in the years down the line, cheaper hardware appears with dual core 64bit processors etc that are affordable to the ordinary Amiga loving person can afford.

The tricky thing now is how Hyperion straddle the divide between the dual core 64bit X1000 community and the single core SAM community, without forking the user base, but allowing the OS to make maximum use out of both hardware platforms.

hey, all for it, but they got to SELL them to get them cheaper and if they are so expensive that no one ever buys them, well, where do they make their money? how are they going to modernise in the future?

Why not just take a cheap already available platform. why.why. There is 3d there too and other stuff, you could modernise it, it would be fast.
Ahh man, I want one! I want to play with AMIGA I want it to go forward but this isn't helping the cause! This is making it harder for anyone to "buy in"

Last edited by SHADES on 20-Jun-2010 at 12:55 PM.

DAX 
Posted on 20-Jun-2010 12:54:01
#123 ]
Elite Member

@SHADES
I know it's frustrating that this initial one is expensive, but they stated in the past it is meant for developers and "power-users" that happen to have the money (or that are willing to get a small personal loan, i got one for my Pioneer Kuro plasma costing much more, for example).

If everything goes according to plan they might invest in more main stream products, this is a small niche after all we cannot expect to have everything from day one as per magic.

drHirudo 
Posted on 20-Jun-2010 12:55:05
#124 ]

@SHADES

And what is the problem to buy SAM 460, if you can not afford AmigaOne X1000?

Or you want AmigaOne X1000 at the price of SAM 460? Sorry, but in the small Amiga market, this is impossible.

P.S.
@bernd_afa
Please shorten your URLs, because they are breaking the page layout.

Last edited by drHirudo on 20-Jun-2010 at 12:55 PM.

SHADES 
Posted on 20-Jun-2010 13:00:07
#125 ]
Cult Member

@drHirudo

Quote:

drHirudo wrote:
@SHADES

And what is the problem to buy SAM 460, if you can not afford AmigaOne X1000?

Or you want AmigaOne X1000 at the price of SAM 460? Sorry, but in the small Amiga market, this is impossible.

Utter nonsense!

There are PLENTY of non PPC main boards that are cheap and readily available. Even EONs partner uses 1. an Intel I think it is.

It IS possible but obviously NOT on PPC. That's for darn sure! Just look at that quoted price. :( oh cry :(
SAM is totally under powered and doesn't even have the XMOS chip that is supposed to re-ignite the dreams of AMIGA into something of out of the ordinary. Like I previously said, I get the AMIGA experience faster on my WinUAE PC. Why would I go get something with less features, less power and no way to use modern HW for a grand.
Thank GOD for the dedication of talented programmers creating wonderful emulation that makes AMIGA OS really useable on modern hardware, or else, I wouldn't be able to have a hobby in AMIGA today and actually use it for anything.

My poor old 4000 doesn't even play .mp3 at any real quality :( I have a handheld device that does that though, it's the size of a key chain.

I am sad.

Last edited by SHADES on 20-Jun-2010 at 01:04 PM.

Tommo1975 
Posted on 20-Jun-2010 13:02:51
#126 ]

@SHADES

Hopefully the initial batch sell out as all the "rich" people by them. A-EON make a nice profit and see there is a viable market, then buy twice as many components and build twice as many X1000's as before, benefiting from economies of scale, thereby enabling them to drive down the price.

Until I either win the lottery, or the price comes down however, I'll go for a SAM460. Hopefully the drivers will be there to enable to plug in a SATA card into the PCI slot, a decent graphics card into the PCI-E x4 slot and a sound card into the PCI-E x1 slot - all this would give me the Amiga platform I want.

SHADES 
Posted on 20-Jun-2010 13:04:55
#127 ]
Cult Member

@Tommo1975

Quote:

Tommo1975 wrote:
@SHADES

Hopefully the initial batch sell out as all the "rich" people by them. A-EON make a nice profit and see there is a viable market, then buy twice as many components and build twice as many X1000's as before, benefiting from economies of scale, thereby enabling them to drive down the price.

Until I either win the lottery, or the price comes down however, I'll go for a SAM460. Hopefully the drivers will be there to enable to plug in a SATA card into the PCI slot, a decent graphics card into the PCI-E x4 slot and a sound card into the PCI-E x1 slot - all this would give me the Amiga platform I want.

Hope so.

I really want one :( and a future in AMIGA

Last edited by SHADES on 20-Jun-2010 at 01:06 PM.

drHirudo 
Posted on 20-Jun-2010 13:07:22
#128 ]

@SHADES
Quote:

Like I previously said, I get the AMIGA experience faster on my WinUAE PC. Why would I go get something with less features, less power and no way to use modern HW for a grand.

So you admit that you are not going for any PPC based Amiga hardware. You post here just for the bitching around. But say no more - there is a solution for you - it is called iMica. It was presented at the fair as well. It's your dreams of Amiga - it's Intel based. It does not run AmigaOS 4, but as you said that you get the AMIGA experience with WinUAE PC, then the iMica may be just right for you.

See on the Amiga market there is choise to suit almost everyone, except the one who will whine over and over again and turn everything to look like a PR disaster.

Me points at Dammy.

SHADES 
Posted on 20-Jun-2010 13:09:24
#129 ]
Cult Member

@drHirudo

Quote:

drHirudo wrote:
@SHADES
Quote:

Like I previously said, I get the AMIGA experience faster on my WinUAE PC. Why would I go get something with less features, less power and no way to use modern HW for a grand.

So you admit that you are not going for any PPC based Amiga hardware. You post here just for the bitching around. But say no more - there is a solution for you - it is called iMica. It was presented at the fair as well. It's your dreams of Amiga - it's Intel based. It does not run AmigaOS 4, but as you said that you get the AMIGA experience with WinUAE PC, then the iMica may be just right for you.

See on the Amiga market there is choise to suit almost everyone, except the one who will whine over and over again and turn everything to look like a PR disaster.

Me points at Dammy.

You're either baiting me for an argument or LOADED with cash dude.
How about you buy me one if they are sooooo affordable.

pavlor 
Posted on 20-Jun-2010 13:18:21
#130 ]
Elite Member

@SHADES

Quote:
Plays DVD mpeg on my quad core AMD. No I7 there.

I don´t say that you can´t play DVD. What application do you use? I use ffplay and it is CLI only - you really can´t compare it to the DvPlayer or MPlayer with GUI.

Quote:
WordsWorth 7 is word compatible and I use it.

Nice joke. Can it load/save word compatible documents with footnotes?

Quote:
Haven't looked for a PDF reader, I'll check aminet and let you know.

I will save you work. There are Ghostscript or aPDF, both unusable (either too old or not user friendly).

Quote:
You must run a very old version of WinUAE to get that kind of terrible performance.

Performance is good (I can play DVDs in WinUAE, only some frames are missed), however SAM is still little bit faster (in my humble estimation) and runs more productive software than WinUAE. That was my point.

drHirudo 
Posted on 20-Jun-2010 13:19:50
#131 ]

@SHADES

The AmigaOne X1000 price was said to be very high at the very beginning. Nobody expected $300 computer. I am not LOADED with cash. But since the announcement of the X1000 at the beginning of the year, I started transferring every month small amounts of money to my savings account, just in case the X1000 materializes (and it did). I subscribed for slower/cheaper Internet, stopped buying movies and CDs and some other little saving, which helped me have the money. It does not need to be rich to afford X1000, just good planning and ...desire.

DAX 
Posted on 20-Jun-2010 13:22:26
#132 ]
Elite Member

@SHADES
x86 possibilities were discussed to end (even with Rogue), no need to start all over it again.

SHADES 
Posted on 20-Jun-2010 13:28:45
#133 ]
Cult Member

@pavlor

Wordsworth 7 does what I need and I can export in RTF. That's enough to do some real work.
it uses True Type fonts, so that's great too.

You have answered the rest yourself. Yeah, some DVD features are missing, but it plays full speed. Uses the Direct X stuff in windows for other things.

Heck QuarkTex is a Warp3D & StormMESA to OpenGL wrapper for WinUAE.
It provides hardware accelerated 3D graphics in an emulated AmigaOS environment.

But, you're right. It's not the same as real hardware. It's fast for me, real fast. I have a nice ATI 4850 and it's a big deal over my Amiga 4000 and Opalvision card.

Pitty the future is too expensive for any real mass adoption of new hardware!

Emulation seems to be the way of keeping the experience alive as a hobby for most. Doubt they will write improvements for an old OS that needs to run in another OS, then again, why continue to write for Hardware that most can't afford or can't keep up.

SHADES 
Posted on 20-Jun-2010 13:33:14
#134 ]
Cult Member

@DAX

Quote:

DAX wrote:
@SHADES
x86 possibilities were discussed to end (even with Rogue), no need to start all over it again.

Did I start anything up again? Obviously PPC is out of the reach of the majority of people in price, I gave PPC base the benefit of the doubt, now I have seen what has come of it. Is it the way of the future?

As for x86 being possible, it darn well is possible. It's just another different CPU. Yes yes, we all know they said it won't be done. So what's left? overly expensive, unaffordable AMIGA experience.

Awesome.

Spectre660 
Posted on 20-Jun-2010 13:33:16
#135 ]
Elite Member

@SHADES

Most of us who run Amiga OS 4.1ux enjoy the performance.
We are in a position to wait and see what happens with the Amiga X1000.
We are also in a position to be confident that the performance will be better than what we have now and take the plunge.

That level of fustration in waiting is not there.

DAX 
Posted on 20-Jun-2010 13:35:40
#136 ]
Elite Member

@SHADES
Wait till the beast falls in the hand of our best developers (not only the Friedens, but also Hans De Ruiter, Stephen Fellner, Davy Wentzler, Andrea AFXGroup Palmatè and many more,) and you WILL see improvements, it's unavoidable

SHADES 
Posted on 20-Jun-2010 13:37:33
#137 ]
Cult Member

@Spectre660

Quote:

Spectre660 wrote:
@SHADES

Most of us who run Amiga OS 4.1ux enjoy the performance.
We are in a position to wait and see what happens with the Amiga X1000.
We are also in a position to be confident that the performance will be better than what we have now and take the plunge.

That level of fustration in waiting is not there.

i'm frustrated cause I can't buy in. That's ALL.
The way things are going, AMIGA will never have a large enough userbase to make future revisions of AMIGA affordable.

Whatever. Maybe i have to accept it. Go solder up my amiga 4000 play on that, use my fast WinUAE or wait 3 more years to try buy one on ebay cheap. I wonder if they will still be making them by then.

SHADES 
Posted on 20-Jun-2010 13:38:58
#138 ]
Cult Member

@DAX

Quote:

DAX wrote:
@SHADES
Wait till the beast falls in the hand of our best developers (not only the Friedens, but also Hans De Ruiter, Stephen Fellner, Davy Wentzler, Andrea AFXGroup Palmatè and many more,) and you WILL see improvements, it's unavoidable

I hope you're right. Seriously. I hope you are right.
I admit, I'm a little in shock atm.

SHADES 
Posted on 20-Jun-2010 13:54:18
#139 ]
Cult Member

@drHirudo

Quote:

drHirudo wrote:
@SHADES

The AmigaOne X1000 price was said to be very high at the very beginning. Nobody expected $300 computer. I am not LOADED with cash. But since the announcement of the X1000 at the beginning of the year, I started transferring every month small amounts of money to my savings account, just in case the X1000 materializes (and it did). I subscribed for slower/cheaper Internet, stopped buying movies and CDs and some other little saving, which helped me have the money. It does not need to be rich to afford X1000, just good planning and ...desire.

It's 3 grand dude. Or there a bouts. 3 grand is 3 grand and I have a family to consider.
My last PC cost me $700 and I saved away for that!
Hell even my work laptop is 2nd hand!

I can see it now *dreams..... hoards of people saving for it right now, banging on the AEon doors ready to by one .. ... ... .. then the alarm clock goes off, drop kids off to school, go to work, come home, reply to you on another post from my x86 PC ...

Last edited by SHADES on 20-Jun-2010 at 01:59 PM.
Last edited by SHADES on 20-Jun-2010 at 01:57 PM.

eliyahu 
Posted on 20-Jun-2010 14:14:54
#140 ]

@TrevorDick

Quote:
TrevorDick wrote:

Sorry to everyone all for the sound quality at the presentation. I only found out 10 mins before we were down to give one. It was all very last minute, although I found out later that it was in the actual Event programme. Unfortunately, no one told me! The Amiga "tent"was always busy, especially around the A-EON/Hyperion/ACube area, the suddenly the tent seemed to fill up and it seemed that 100's of people crowded around the A-EON area.

I also apologise if everyone who tried to talk to me couldn't get access. As you will see from the videos that have been posted I almost lost my voice.

Finally, if the network was down it was probably because we were given a conflicting static address. I will try and sort that out today. My thanks go to Stephane, Costel and the Friedens who did so much work over the past few weeks to bring this all together in time for the show.

Also thanks to Mikey C & team for all the organisation. Great job AS a thankyou for all their effort we had many of the A1-X1000 hardware and software developers and A-EON management signed a "Boing Ball" tie. Unfortunately we didn't have a dog's paw print but Paul Gentle's 2 year old son added his mark! Mikey will be auctioning the tie to raise money for his Amiga group.

one of the main reasons for my joining the amiga world earlier this year -- in addition to the exotic hardware and terrific OS -- is the community spirit. this show exemplifies that kind of pioneer energy: i haven't seen a product introduction like that since the 80s, when the industry was young and small shows and homebrew societies were the norm. i know i'm not part of this directly, but as a user, i am immensely proud of this effort.

guys: we don't know the price, so there is no point arguing over whether or not it will be a commercial success. the product is still very early in the development stage, and apparently the suppliers haven't been fully shaken out yet on component pricing. that's normal, especially for a small firm such as this. i don't know if i can afford the machine because i don't know the price -- and neither does anyone else at this point.

for a couple of guys to take on the financial risks involved for such a small market speaks of a huge faith and dedication to the platform. trevor, et al, please know that there are a bunch of us that purposely do not post on threads dedicated to bashing this and that and mindless speculation on future developments because we don't see the point. we're waiting for the final product and we're excited about the possibilties.

we're pulling for you.

-- eliyahu

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle