Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
10 crawler(s) on-line.
 136 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 zipper:  7 mins ago
 matthey:  11 mins ago
 Luc:  52 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 14 mins ago
 amigakit:  2 hrs 26 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  2 hrs 28 mins ago
 pixie:  2 hrs 49 mins ago
 BigD:  4 hrs 7 mins ago
 AndreasM:  4 hrs 51 mins ago
 OlafS25:  5 hrs 23 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  Posting from VCF Show
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
PosterThread
amigang 
Re: Posting from VCF Show
Posted on 19-Jun-2010 22:31:33
#81 ]
Elite Member

Interest in an Amiga?!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2RR8zhg4MM

imica aros computer at vcf
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTMsatUvnfk

Amiga 25th Anniversary show
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_wYiPfsPHs

And thats it from me, I wish I took more vidoes and photos but you know while you are there you just want to see it all for your self. A personal thanks for a great show to all involved it must of taken a lot of arranging and hard work but I think it was worth it, I really hope there is another VCF and another Amiga show like it next year! good luck with Sunday.

PS: photos
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b168/amigang/Photo140.jpg - AmigaOne Keyboard wraped up with a nice A-eon seal.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b168/amigang/Photo139.jpg - X1000 motherboard far better shots than this one out there now.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b168/amigang/Photo138.jpg - the A-team ...I mean A-eon.

Last edited by amigang on 19-Jun-2010 at 10:50 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
Rob 
Posted on 19-Jun-2010 23:25:48
#82 ]
Elite Member

@klx300r

Quote:
i knew the eyemotion was a samflex addon eventually but for what use excactly??

The Eyemotion is a mini pci graphics card which features the same Silicon Motion SM502 GPU as the Sam460. I think the best way to describe it in simple terms is to liken it to a next generation Picasso IV.

It has seven different video layers comprising of 2 hardware cursors, two graphics layers, a video layer, an alpha layer and an alpha video layer. These layers can be merged together with transparency and alpha blending. According to Max they have already got a picture in picture mode working under OS4.1.

It has a ZV port for add on devices. Max said they are currently working on an mpeg decoder card, I assume this can also be plugged directly into the Sam460.

The SM502 also has its own micro controller built in and has a number of different I/O including USB and IRDA. I'm not sure whether or not these features are available on the Eyemotion or Sam 460, maybe someone can ask tomorrow as I didn't think to ask at the time.

Tomas 
Posted on 20-Jun-2010 0:21:25
#83 ]
Elite Member

@amigang
I really want that keyboard
Would go nicely with my Sam even though i cannot afford the X1000.

thinkchip 
Posted on 20-Jun-2010 1:55:09
#84 ]

@Thread

Any new software at the show?

Last edited by thinkchip on 20-Jun-2010 at 03:22 AM.

umisef 
Posted on 20-Jun-2010 2:22:25
#85 ]

@TrevorDick

Quote:
And the good news, the brother's have just arrived, installed the board

Could you humor my curiosity, and provide some info on the shiny black mystery case that's sitting to the right of the monitor, and which seems to be hooked up to an internal 6 pin header on the X1000 board (via that light-coloured cable which exits the case through the missing slot cover on the back)?

What *is* that header? What does the mystery box *do*? And what monitor is it hooked up to?

(I suspect the answers are "something to display debug output", "an internal serial port debug header", "wait patiently for data to come across the serial link" and "the second input of the X1000's" --- but suspecting and knowing are far from the same :)

SHADES 
Posted on 20-Jun-2010 3:46:52
#86 ]
Cult Member

@CodeSmith

North of 1500 Pounds!!

There is no way in HELL I can justify $3800.00 for a computer in hobby/enthusiast/developer form.
It took me 3 years back in the 90s to buy a Amiga 4000 and I didn't have a family then!

Have you seen the Value of the pound compared to Australian dolours?

It's time that OS4 became available under Emulation!

Sorry Trev, that is not going to be affordable for most people.

meet.mrnrg 
Posted on 20-Jun-2010 5:11:55
#87 ]

@SHADES

2220USD - 3000USD is close to the real and most current conversion rate. If you subtract VAT
it could be close to the 2200USD price.

Last edited by meet.mrnrg on 20-Jun-2010 at 05:12 AM.

tonyw 
Posted on 20-Jun-2010 5:40:37
#88 ]
Elite Member

@SHADES

What did you expect, old trout? EU 1500 is about AU$2500, that's what I've been expecting all along and the new estimate is not far from that. If you expected less, you're going to be disappointed.

Hyperion Support Forum: http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/index.php

SHADES 
Posted on 20-Jun-2010 6:36:18
#89 ]
Cult Member

@tonyw

He said POUNDS not Euro not US dollars.

North of 1500 Pounds. That's worse than Euros for me here in Australia.
North of 1500 Pounds in Australian Dolours is how I took it closer to 1600 Pounds.

I think everyone is in for a shock.

Last edited by SHADES on 20-Jun-2010 at 06:37 AM.

tommysammy 
Posted on 20-Jun-2010 6:54:52
#90 ]
Cult Member

@Trevor that is too much for the most people.Now i dont't want it anymore.I go to buy a Sam 460.Sorry but i'am not a millionar

ChrisH 
Posted on 20-Jun-2010 7:24:50
#91 ]
Elite Member

@all
Tommo1975 wrote Quote:
They made reference to the beta testers having it for the summer, but yes the talk was of "before Xmas"

Careful how you interpret "before Xmas", because the guy asking Trevor about this (1) literally asked him whether it would be "before Xmas" or not, and (2) I believe the intention was for it to mean the same as "this year".

Basically Trevor didn't want to commit to a specific date, in the same way he didn't want to commit to a specific price. (So "north of £1500" could mean £1501, we just don't know, and even A-Eon may not know yet for sure, given variable exchange rates, etc.)

ChrisH 
Posted on 20-Jun-2010 7:32:39
#92 ]
Elite Member

@Spectre660 Quote:
Will Hyperion take a gamble and fork the Amiga OS at this point ?

Don't be daft. They wouldn't do that, nor do they need to.

@opi Quote:
BTW: how many people attended and where there any non-Amiga media coverage?

There were a lot of people coming in & out of the marquee through out the day, and that was just Saturday. That makes this the biggest Amiga show (in the UK anyway) for a long time.

I couldn't say how many listened to Trevor/etc speaking about the X1000 though, but it looked like "a lot".

ChrisH 
Posted on 20-Jun-2010 7:35:05
#93 ]
Elite Member

@umisef Quote:
What *is* that header? What does the mystery box *do*? And what monitor is it hooked up to?

Previously we have been told that OS4 on the X1000 has to boot over the network (until they finish the "BIOS"), so it may have had something to do with that.

EDIT: I am probably wrong, since Trevor said (in the video) that OS4 has only been booting for a few days on the X1000. I guess he meant booting directly off the HD. But since he said it was running "debug software" your guess is probably right.

@Shades Quote:
Sorry Trev, that is not going to be affordable for most people.

Welcome to reality! I've been saying it's going to cost circa £1500 for a long time. A-Eon only expect to sell X1000 to a few people, because it is a *high end* Amiga (remember how much an A4000 cost relative to an A1200!). If you want something (relatively) cheap, then the aSam460 or Sam440 is a much better idea.

Last edited by ChrisH on 20-Jun-2010 at 07:45 AM.
Last edited by ChrisH on 20-Jun-2010 at 07:44 AM.
Last edited by ChrisH on 20-Jun-2010 at 07:37 AM.

Hyperionmp 
Posted on 20-Jun-2010 8:02:15
#94 ]
Hyperion

@ChrisH

Pricing is very indicative yet at this stage and certainly not set in stone.

We still need to go through the exercise of cost shaving.

We certainly expect to realise some savings on peripherals and some components.

Because of the very volatile currency markets, it is very hard to nail this down now.

TrevorDick 
Posted on 20-Jun-2010 8:48:11
#95 ]
Elite Member

@umisef

Well spotted! It was indeed a serial cable with debug output from the A1-X1000. The OS4 build was only completed the day before and contained a lot of debug code. I expect it to be up to full speed the next time in A1-X1000 is shown in public at the Essen show next month. However, Blender was running on it at various times during the day. One cool thing I need spot was the ability to change the processor speed on the fly, and at one stage we stepped down to 500Mhz then up to 1,8GHz. Whether that makes it into the final version?

Sorry to everyone all for the sound quality at the presentation. I only found out 10 mins before we were down to give one. It was all very last minute, although I found out later that it was in the actual Event programme. Unfortunately, no one told me! The Amiga "tent"was always busy, especially around the A-EON/Hyperion/ACube area, the suddenly the tent seemed to fill up and it seemed that 100's of people crowded around the A-EON area.

I also apologise if everyone who tried to talk to me couldn't get access. As you will see from the videos that have been posted I almost lost my voice.

Finally, if the network was down it was probably because we were given a conflicting static address. I will try and sort that out today. My thanks go to Stephane, Costel and the Friedens who did so much work over the past few weeks to bring this all together in time for the show.

Also thanks to Mikey C & team for all the organisation. Great job AS a thankyou for all their effort we had many of the A1-X1000 hardware and software developers and A-EON management signed a "Boing Ball" tie. Unfortunately we didn't have a dog's paw print but Paul Gentle's 2 year old son added his mark! Mikey will be auctioning the tie to raise money for his Amiga group.

TrevorD

Last edited by TrevorDick on 20-Jun-2010 at 08:50 AM.

Krischan76 
Posted on 20-Jun-2010 9:00:01
#96 ]

@tommysammy

Quote:
@Trevor that is too much for the most people.Now i dont't want it anymore.I go to buy a Sam 460.Sorry but i'am not a millionar

I considered myself a safe buyer but since the price is "north of 1500 GBP" (not quite meeting my 1500 EUR limit) it seems the situation is like it has been before in AmigaOne times - I am too poor. Again.

Mrodfr 
Posted on 20-Jun-2010 9:08:13
#97 ]

@TrevorDick

Hope not too rain on the tent

This is very great to have you for making good communications between us, everywhere and also on the forum.

Thats a great feeling to have now one amiga user at the head of the X1000 board who make contact with us. Thats make good feeling on the heart of the amiga users

It's important to explain the relatively slow X1000 on the show because some comments aid, after viewing some youtube video is that x1000 seemded to be slow and also some comments about PCI-E or SATA or other hardware compoment doesn't seemed to work. It's not easy to show well on video how could work the X1000.

- also about the CPU, soldered directly on the MOBO or removable ???
- also a FAN on the CPU or not ???

As AOS4.1 just run on the X1000 verry verry recently, I understand now the board will finally be available around xmas this year. The betatesters will have lots of job since this futur date.

This is great to see show like this one with lots of people who show their interest on the X1000 and for the AOS4. Thanks to all involved.

EDIT: Could you give lessons or advices about hyperion and Acube to communicate as the same level as you, thanks in advance

Last edited by Mrodfr on 20-Jun-2010 at 09:24 AM.
Last edited by Mrodfr on 20-Jun-2010 at 09:08 AM.

-A1200+Mediator+VooDoo3+060/50+96mo+SCSI-KIT
-SAM440EP-667mhz-on MapowerKC3000+AOS4.1

Amiga Docs Disks Preservation Project

Stephen_Robinson 
Posted on 20-Jun-2010 9:26:08
#98 ]

@Mrodfr

No there is no fan on the CPU.

To be honest, OS4.1 ran slower than on my µA1 one, but it was running in debug mode, so that to be expected.

Has anyone mentioned that Trevor mentioned that the test board would be sold with the MB only, not the case/keyboard etc?

CodeSmith 
Posted on 20-Jun-2010 9:37:00
#99 ]
Elite Member

@Krischan76

Yeah, I can afford it (barely) but I can't justify it to myself, especially when the 460 is going to be about as capable and it will cost half the price. It also seems like they'll go on general sale at about the same time. Both machines will use the exact same OS, both can use the same SATA drives and PCIe gfx cards, both can take DDR2 RAM (the X1000 can take 4GB, but anything over 2GB won't be usable by OS4, and the SAM can take 2GB). The X1000 has a dual core 1.8GHz CPU and the SAM will have a single core 1GHz, but at those speeds the difference becomes less noticeable for normal day to day tasks - I predict the X1000 will feel faster than the 460, but nowhere near 3.6x as fast. The X1000 has Xena, but the 460 will have an FPGA and the kind of coder who would be interested in programming Xena probably already knows VHDL anyway (it's not a difficult language to learn in any case). For non-coders who just run programs the difference between xena and the fpga will be zero.

Unless a-eon can figure out how to shave at least 30% off that price, acube's going to eat their lunch.

steril606 
Posted on 20-Jun-2010 9:47:00
#100 ]

@Trevor:
Awesome Tie!!!

Seems you people had a great time. Wish I could have been there.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle