Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
22 crawler(s) on-line.
 143 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

OneTimer1

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OneTimer1:  38 secs ago
 matthey:  14 mins ago
 pavlor:  31 mins ago
 VooDoo:  31 mins ago
 OldFart:  1 hr 8 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 29 mins ago
 kolla:  3 hrs 4 mins ago
 michalsc:  3 hrs 13 mins ago
 amigang:  3 hrs 23 mins ago
 gryfon:  3 hrs 39 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  X1000 CPU clue :)
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
PosterThread
koft 
Re: X1000 CPU clue :)
Posted on 22-Jun-2010 15:26:28
#121 ]

@Mechanic

Quote:

Mechanic wrote:
@koft

[quote]
koft wrote:

Here is an opportunity for you. Design a mainboard for the OS of
your choice, produce it, and sell it as a complete system for under
400 USD with OS. I'll buy one. Good luck.

Design a mobo? Why? I tell you what, I'll put an MSI motherboard in a little box and install Ubuntu on it and change the iconset and background, put a 1500 GBP price tag on it. Tons of profit for me and it will blow the A1X1K out of the water, and as a plus, firefox won't tear down the kernel, also, the icons will draw instantly, even with the SVGA driver and a debug build of the kernel. it's win win.

Profile     Report this post  
Troels 
Posted on 22-Jun-2010 15:28:22
#122 ]
Elite Member

@Mechanic
Do you really think Koft would be capable of designing anything... Doing anything beneficial for the community? I think all the talk about his own experiences is just made up, perhaps Koft could tell a bit about what he did for AmigaOS recently?

Real or not it seems his only priority is to spread FUD about the X1000. Unfortunately it seems he's got way to much time on his hands.

billt 
Posted on 22-Jun-2010 15:36:53
#123 ]
Elite Member

@koft

Quote:
Design a mobo? Why?

There ain't nobody else making me a laptop...

koft 
Posted on 22-Jun-2010 15:46:54
#124 ]

@Troels

Quote:

Troels wrote:
@Mechanic
Do you really think Koft would be capable of designing anything... Doing anything beneficial for the community? I think all the talk about his own experiences is just made up, perhaps Koft could tell a bit about what he did for AmigaOS recently?

Real or not it seems his only priority is to spread FUD about the X1000. Unfortunately it seems he's got way to much time on his hands.

I've done absolutely nothing for "AmigaOS", ever. Too busy working on things that yield profit and making love with my wife. Perhaps in a few decades I'll retire and contribute to AROS or MorphOS.

Also. I just got off the phone witha guy I found on craigslist selling a 1.25GHz E-Mac. I'll have it in an hour. Later today I'll "contribute" to MorphOS by buying a license. Half the power of the A1X1K for under 300 dollars. Gotta love progress.

Last edited by koft on 22-Jun-2010 at 03:49 PM.

-Sam- 
Posted on 22-Jun-2010 15:47:57
#125 ]
Elite Member

@koft

Quote:
I like the reg too, thanks for bringing them up, I haven't been there in a while. Too bad that article was written by a chimp.

Quote:
256 loosely coupled cored? Say what!? This author knows nothing about what he writes.

From the X1000 page: 'Reference designs have been made with 256 cores, offering a theoretical processing power of over 100,000 MIPS.'

I think the author may well have genned up by a bit of skim reading.

Rudei 
Posted on 22-Jun-2010 15:50:54
#126 ]
Elite Member

@koft

Quote:
I've done absolutely nothing for "AmigaOS", ever.

Except slate it and HW associated with it

Rude!

-Sam- 
Posted on 22-Jun-2010 15:51:40
#127 ]
Elite Member

@koft

Quote:
I've done absolutely nothing for "AmigaOS", ever. Too busy working on things that yield profit and making love with my wife.
...and winding people up on Amiga forums...

I'd be fibbing if I said I haven't been entertained though.

Last edited by -Sam- on 22-Jun-2010 at 03:52 PM.

Framiga 
Posted on 22-Jun-2010 15:58:47
#128 ]
Elite Member

come on guys! why don't you simply leave him alone? its quite clear he is here for baiting. Have you seen his curriculum?

-Sam- 
Posted on 22-Jun-2010 16:00:15
#129 ]
Elite Member

@koft

Quote:
Later today I'll "contribute" to MorphOS by buying a license. Half the power of the A1X1K for under 300 dollars.

Yeah - the future!

-Sam- 
Posted on 22-Jun-2010 16:01:08
#130 ]
Elite Member

@Framiga

Quote:
come on guys! why don't you simply leave him alone? its quite clear he is here for baiting.

We're having too much fun.

koft 
Posted on 22-Jun-2010 16:02:08
#131 ]

@Framiga

Quote:

Framiga wrote:
come on guys! why don't you simply leave him alone? its quite clear he is here for baiting. Have you seen his curriculum?

I'm not baiting anyone. I just dropped my opinion like anyone else would. Believe it or not, not everyone on the Amiga scene thinks that the A1X1K is the next reincarnation of Jesus Christ.

-Sam- 
Posted on 22-Jun-2010 16:05:17
#132 ]
Elite Member

@koft

Quote:
I'm not baiting anyone.

Hypex 
Posted on 22-Jun-2010 16:07:13
#133 ]
Elite Member

@All

Gee that doesn't look good. The PCI-Express Port is faulty!

Must be an A1Dev machine! Hehe.

Framiga 
Posted on 22-Jun-2010 16:08:11
#134 ]
Elite Member

@koft

opinions? you are constantly spitting on everyone face here and there.

What i don't understand is why mods haven't give you some vacation yet?

amigang 
Posted on 22-Jun-2010 16:09:54
#135 ]
Elite Member

@koft

I must admit krof you very good with your word, you just say enough to annoy people but not enough to get removed.

If you have fun on Aros and planing to get MorphOs, then why do you feel the need to attack AmigaOS4 and its hardware, you might not agree with everything Hyperion, Acube or A-eon are doing, but I pretty sure there doing what they can in providing a good solid OS. Just like Aros and MorphOS are doing.

-Sam- 
Posted on 22-Jun-2010 16:10:44
#136 ]
Elite Member

@TrevorDick

Quote:
Have you ever seen AMCC & Freescale NDA's ?

This guy has seen every NDA ...ever. In between being profitable and doing his wife.

Quote:
PS good to see you posting again

You are now allowed to change your opinion.

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 22-Jun-2010 16:13:47
#137 ]
Team Member

@Fransexy

Quote:

Fransexy wrote:
@koft

you have a childhood trauma of any type. true?

I understand that you are frustrated. But please don't engage anyone like this. Your post generated an abuse report (and no not from koft) which I have no choice but to approve.

Amiga 1200

DAX 
Posted on 22-Jun-2010 16:20:20
#138 ]
Elite Member

@koft
Quote:
'm not baiting anyone. I just dropped my opinion like anyone else would. Believe it or not, not everyone on the Amiga scene thinks that the A1X1K is the next reincarnation of Jesus Christ.

yes but as anything you post gets countered 10 times in 10 different angles, you should understand by now that you have a wrong opinion /about the conspiracy theory I mean) and that you are just hijacking the thread with a godzillion of OTs.

As the latter proved to be BS in so many ways it boggles the mind, now it's time to either change it or as a person with some dignity, you should admit that you are very confused.

Either that or you are very smart Troll

Last edited by DAX on 22-Jun-2010 at 04:21 PM.

vidarh 
Posted on 22-Jun-2010 16:44:39
#139 ]
Cult Member

@koft

Quote:
You'd have to do what the A1000 did. Something nobody has seen or imagined yet. The a1000 delivered kick ass graphics and an OS that cut corners but ran fast on low cost processor while providing a better multitasking system than what was available at the time on micros that weren't running unix. It's easy to identify what was awesome in the past, what stood out above the crowd. What would be the same today? I don't know, the things I've mentioned are standard and pervasive. What would knock your socks off today? I don't know, if I did know, I'd be a wealthy guy perhaps.

Fair enough. Though I did ask for something "reasonably realistic" :)

I was thinking more in terms of what OS features and apps do you need before you'd be happy to use any of MOS, AROS or AmigaOS (assuming suitable hardware is available) full time. What would need to be fixed/added before the advantages of [any of the above] beat out the advantages of whichever you prefer of OS X, WIndows or Linux for you?

I don't consider an A1000 like step forward possible at this stage (if it was truly revolutionary, it'd get copied instantly by people with more money), but I do consider it possible to get an AmigaOS variant to the level where it is a viable alternative OS for more than just the Amiga faithful and something that's more enjoyable to use than the alternatives for enough people that it can actually grow again to a reasonably sized community. Personally I don't care about huge market share - the market today is so big that even 1%-2% would be fantastic and be viable for the long term.

The OS's need to take a few step further (this is where I harp on memory protection again), but beyond that it is largely down to 1) getting better development tools together, 2) people who want to see these OS's succeed churning out more new apps, or "salvaging" old apps (I've just started maintaining/cleaniung up/porting FrexxEd from classic AmigaOS, for example) that are worthwhile.

But this needs to happen largely *before* we can expect to get any fantastic new hardware at prices that are remotely in line with those of commodity hardware. The best we can hope for is probably a slow dance where each new project like the SAM 460 and X1000 (or Natami and FPGA Arcade or IMICA for that matter) brings in a few more users and makes it viable to aim a tiny bit higher in the next round.

The main thing is to actually get to an upwards trajectory, and I think we are pretty much there.

Until, hopefully, this community shows enough growth again to reduce the cost gap, at least some of us with the money and inclination will keep paying high premiums to play with what is - I admit - going to largely be an expensive toy. Other people buy sports cars when they start feeling old, I pick up my expensive Amiga habit again...

The way I see it in any case, don't get disappointed or annoyed with new entrants like A-Eon.

They may not turn out to be "salvation" for the Amiga community by themselves, but any new sales they generate means more hardware in play, more license money for Hyperion to update OS4, and makes it slightly more interesting for a few developers (most likely ex-Amiga users like me) to start writing some software again.

And while some of that may end up OS4 only, I suspect quite a few others like me would prefer to target as much of the community as possible. Even if the X1000 proves unsuccessful and only draws a small number of people, *any* additional resources will in the end benefit the entire community.

And people don't need to be developers to contribute. Bounties, constructive ideas, beta testing, graphics design, running websites, or just making the community more fun and enjoyable will all help making it more attractive for developers who are either scratching their own itches or are in it for the fun.

umisef 
Posted on 22-Jun-2010 17:17:58
#140 ]

@xeron
Quote:

The ShowConfig tool was completely replaced with one that just printed a message.

I am not convinced.

By now, I have seen photos of three different screens with full ShowConfig output (plus a second photo of the screen that started this thread). In addition, Rob has stated that he has a photo which shows the 12th PCI entry as "working" rather than "defective", so that would be a fourth screen. So if we were to believe that "someone found a full ShowConfig", then it appears as if at least 4 separate people "found" it --- which would suggest a rather poor effort at hiding it.

A more likely explanation would be that the ShowConfig icon has some tooltips or command line options set which caused the suppression of output to fail; Considering the people who would have done the hobbling are likely to be very comfortable with the command line, it's quite understandable that something like that could have been missed in testing[1].

So, applying Occam's razor, I will go with the most likely explanation until further information surfaces.

[1]: Good testers are highly skilled experts. Most programmers are lousy testers, whose personal preferences result in things going untested. And I include myself in that group --- Amithlon was distributed with an awful bug related to the right control key. Guess which control key I personally never use...

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle