Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
20 crawler(s) on-line.
 136 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

AndreasM,  kolla

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 AndreasM:  9 secs ago
 kolla:  1 min ago
 zipper:  7 mins ago
 OlafS25:  32 mins ago
 Swisso:  36 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 11 mins ago
 amigang:  1 hr 43 mins ago
 clint:  2 hrs 9 mins ago
 ppcamiga1:  3 hrs 16 mins ago
 VooDoo:  3 hrs 36 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  red vs blue: why?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
PosterThread
Re: red vs blue: why?
Posted on 30-Jul-2010 15:33:11
#221 ]

Everything was much easier and fun before when it was third-party applications that fought and not the OS.

edit: And I see no problems with custom chipset, all game consoles use it, and of course the real Amiga.

Last edited by 1970 on 30-Jul-2010 at 04:22 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
ChrisH 
Posted on 30-Jul-2010 18:28:46
#222 ]
Elite Member

@jahc Quote:
Well done on keeping the thread civil so far.. but no one has explained yet why people come onto these forums just to bait.

Because these people are so guarded they're afraid of revealing why they feel and act the way they do. I think if the real reasons came out, then progress could be made.

I think you'll be disappointed by their real reasons, which include (but are not limited to) :

* Some get enjoyment from the reactions they see (yes, there really are some sad individuals who have nothing better to do in life than upsetting others - a bit like the kids who want to make a mark in the world but don't know how, so all they can do is draw graffiti to prove they exist). Perhaps they even get some kind of feeling of achievement, which shows how how low their real-world standards/capabilities are.

* Some still live in the past, and think the red vs blue war is still going on. (Well, it is still going on - in their minds anyway. I feel "Zombie" by The Cranberries would be appropriate to play here.) Or they want to re-ignite the red vs blue war, cos them ####s can't be allowed to get away with it (which is another way of saying the war didn't end for them - see above).

* Some (not many) are genuinely naive or inexperienced or just plain rude, and don't realise they are baiting.

P.S. I am surprised to see this thread (up to the point I've read it) hasn't degenerated into a flame fest yet, although I'm not convinced it's actually achieved anything useful either.

Last edited by ChrisH on 30-Jul-2010 at 07:12 PM.

ChrisH 
Posted on 30-Jul-2010 18:31:35
#223 ]
Elite Member

@Chain-Q Quote:
I don't see a difference. These people are still here, and waving the flag they've used to spread their lies and FUD against MorphOS.

And there you have it, some people simply aren't prepared to bury the hatchet & let bygones be bygones. And that's why they still think a war is going on.

(Edit: And in case you think I am trying to gloss over "war crimes", I believe some top people in the MOS team said some lies & FUD too. If you defend them by saying "but OS4 guys started it first", well, maybe they did, and maybe they didn't, but it doesn't actually matter now! BOTH sides did some bad things which they should not have done (provocation is not an excuse), and the only way to ever move on is to forgive & to forget. That or you become the "Zombie" that The Cranberries describe.)

Last edited by ChrisH on 31-Jul-2010 at 10:34 AM.
Last edited by ChrisH on 31-Jul-2010 at 10:33 AM.

ChrisH 
Posted on 30-Jul-2010 18:34:21
#224 ]
Elite Member

@Minuous Quote:
Finally found the link you wanted, it is:

http://www.amigans.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=540

Note that this was from OVER TWO YEARS AGO. Things have changed a lot in the last few years. (Not to everyone's tasted admittedly, but I think it has been an improvement overall. For example, we can now actually have discussions that mention MorphOS without being censored to oblivion - they just can't be on the front page).

Edit: And from a quick glance, I didn't see anything actually bad said in that thread. Simply polite statements (1) that the site's main focus is OS4, (2) that they don't think a quick'n'dirty port to OS4 would qualify, and (3) an opinion from a *user* (not moderator) that something which works on all Amiga flavours won't be able to take advantage of OS4-specific features. That doesn't seem to fit your characterisation of the discussion.

Last edited by ChrisH on 30-Jul-2010 at 07:11 PM.
Last edited by ChrisH on 30-Jul-2010 at 07:10 PM.
Last edited by ChrisH on 30-Jul-2010 at 06:58 PM.

persia 
Posted on 30-Jul-2010 20:44:30
#225 ]

@ChrisH

It seems to be largely OS4 users. I personally have nothing against OS4, and if they offered a *reasonably priced* way to try it I would. I think it's time to lay down the weapons of war and make peace. We're one community that happens to have four flavours. Let's appreciate our differences.

pavlor 
Posted on 30-Jul-2010 20:46:03
#226 ]
Elite Member

@persia

Peace-monger...

jahc 
Posted on 31-Jul-2010 1:37:32
#227 ]
Elite Member

@persia

Quote:
It seems to be largely OS4 users. I personally have nothing against OS4, and if they offered a *reasonably priced* way to try it I would. I think it's time to lay down the weapons of war and make peace. We're one community that happens to have four flavours. Let's appreciate our differences.

Do you really feel that way? It often looks like you're baiting.

persia 
Posted on 31-Jul-2010 4:40:48
#228 ]

@jahc

Perhaps but perhaps too there is a desire in the AOS 4 world to try to bring us "back" into the fold. It would be a natural outcome of the settlement of the court case and not a malicious intention on their parts. But lets just end with the fact that there are people in all camps that look upon the other camps with more than a little suspicion. I've settled into the AROS camp, but I have no reason to wish the other camps to fail. If there are still four camps in 2035 that would be fine with me....

ChrisH 
Posted on 31-Jul-2010 10:40:59
#229 ]
Elite Member

@persia
It's a bit difficult to tell whether you are just being naive, or are intentionally baiting, when you bring-up touchy subjects like "reasonably priced (hardware)", particularly if you do it relatively frequently.

To me this seems a bit like moaning that some classic cars (e.g. an old Jaguar) are expensive, and you'll only buy one when they become "reasonably priced": Saying such things will have absolutely no effect on the reasons for the prices being what they are, but it could easily upset some people.

Last edited by ChrisH on 31-Jul-2010 at 10:42 AM.

damocles 
Posted on 31-Jul-2010 11:21:26
#230 ]

@ChrisH

Quote:
It's a bit difficult to tell whether you are just being naive, or are intentionally baiting, when you bring-up touchy subjects like "reasonably priced (hardware)", particularly if you do it relatively frequently. To me this seems a bit like moaning that some classic cars (e.g. an old Jaguar) are expensive, and you'll only buy one when they become "reasonably priced": Saying such things will have absolutely no effect on the reasons for the prices being what they are, but it could easily upset some people.

They need to get over it then, the economy for many people is a dark and scary place. People are reluctant to spend any considerable cash on just about anything. This entire decade we just got into has a real chance of being "lost" as if it was a replay of the 1970s if not the 1930s. Cost is a major issue and people have to stop being sensitive to it because it's going to be apart of life for many years to come. It's like buying used hardware, some people won't do it and express that which could upset the MOS supporters. In the pasted, I've bought used hardware before, I'll probably do it again. However, if I have real issues with it, should I be politically correct and not mention it in fear of annoying a MOS supporter? I can see not wanting pay way too much as much as I can not buying used hardware as both have legitimate points to make while discussing the issues of hardware. Another point, I can't see paying but a few extra dollars ($5-$10) for a system that is multi core for a OS that is none SMP. I'm not doing it. That effects two camps but why should I be politically correct in fear of annoying someone in the AROS or OS4 camp and self censor a fact about myself?

DAX 
Posted on 31-Jul-2010 12:32:25
#231 ]
Elite Member

@damocles
"Non Amiga" OT: I don't think this decade will be bad at all, this is just the first year of a new decade and if you look at 1980's numbers they were crappy as well (coming out from a similar crisis in the late 70s). But the decade tunrned for the better as it progressed through the years and we are already seeing good signs (industrial orders were up 30% compared to last year in many G8 countries, and all PIL estimates are on the rise for both this year and even more for next).
I think the effect of the economical crisis won't be felt for more than another year in G8 countries (and let's not forget other healthy economies such as Norway and Sweden to name just a couple) the rest will follow their trail soon after (we are all connected in one way or another nowadays).

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 3-Aug-2010 22:51:27
#232 ]
Elite Member

@1970

Quote:
And I see no problems with custom chipset,

When programmers write programs for OCS and it does not work for AGA,
this is the problem we have, developers that do not support common software API's that enable users to upgrade there machines.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 03-Aug-2010 at 11:15 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 03-Aug-2010 at 11:13 PM.

Darth_X 
Posted on 3-Aug-2010 23:42:19
#233 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

ChrisH wrote:

To me this seems a bit like moaning that some classic cars (e.g. an old Jaguar) are expensive, and you'll only buy one when they become "reasonably priced"

The classics cars are not cheap electronic junk made in China then sold in the rest of the world without a warranty for a high price.

Posted on 4-Aug-2010 0:05:43
#234 ]

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:

NutsAboutAmiga wrote:
@1970

Quote:
And I see no problems with custom chipset,

When programmers write programs for OCS and it does not work for AGA,
this is the problem we have, developers that do not support common software API's that enable users to upgrade there machines.

This is the HW/OS developer's responsibility. Wii is 100% backwards compatible with Game Cube I have read.

samo79 
Posted on 4-Aug-2010 2:03:22
#235 ]
Elite Member

@Minuous

Indeed nobody was aggressive with you, that thread is also too old, since than many things are changed in both camp (but also in AROS world), today there are a lot of new features/API on NG system that can give real benefits when running (created as specific target) native instead to just use AmigaOS 3.9 as base for the various PPC port ...

Aniway i suggest you to follow as Shinkuro do for NoWinED, he add specific features for all system supported, maybe it could be a right way for people that like to support all Amiga platform in the same time without sacrify the new specific features

http://www.betatesting.it/backforthefuture

Sam440ep Flex 800 Mhz 1 GB Ram + AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6
AmigaOne XE G3 800 Mhz - 640 MB Ram - Radeon 9200 SE + AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6

cha05e90 
Posted on 4-Aug-2010 7:45:09
#236 ]

@samo79

... or jahc's Wookiechat...

Develin 
Posted on 4-Aug-2010 9:10:01
#237 ]

@cha05e90

...Or our Annotate, ZoomIT, WiiLoader etc. ;)

pixie 
Posted on 4-Aug-2010 9:20:42
#238 ]
Elite Member

@Darth_X

Quote:
The classics cars are not cheap electronic junk made in China then sold in the rest of the world without a warranty for a high price.

Ouch!

KimmoK 
Posted on 4-Aug-2010 9:21:27
#239 ]
Elite Member

AW could have a fame page for developers who have managed to support all Amiga flavors with their products.

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

Karlos 
Posted on 6-Aug-2010 23:25:57
#240 ]
Elite Member
From: As-sassin-aaate! As-sassin-aaate! Ooh! We forgot the ammunition!

@Rogue

Quote:
Even if an Amiga company would invent a machine that has 1024 cores and teleports hookers into your living room

Damn it! I knew there was a reason for the "sex and free beer" jumper that we were all advised never to mess with if we ever saw one.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle