Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
7 crawler(s) on-line.
 164 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 pixie:  22 mins ago
 CosmosUnivers:  45 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  1 hr 14 mins ago
 AmigaPapst:  1 hr 14 mins ago
 RobertB:  1 hr 19 mins ago
 jPV:  1 hr 33 mins ago
 ppcamiga1:  1 hr 39 mins ago
 matthey:  3 hrs 23 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  4 hrs 22 mins ago
 djnick:  4 hrs 42 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  red vs blue: why?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
PosterThread
Rogue 
Re: red vs blue: why?
Posted on 7-Aug-2010 0:10:48
#241 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@Fab

Quote:
You can understand the bitterness it caused, can't you? And a couple years later, you see some of the individuals who participated in this doing it again with OS4...

Doing what "again"?

And maybe it's time to get over your self-righteous bitterness.

Profile     Report this post  
gregthecanuck 
Posted on 7-Aug-2010 6:54:00
#242 ]
Cult Member

Hey guys, listen, you can have this philosophical to-and-fro all you like. At the end of the day you aren't going to change any minds or perspectives This endless bashing each other over the head with your unchangable P.O.V. (legitimately based on your individual experiences, beliefs and principles) is getting old.

Much like the ongoing Republican vs. Democratic non-stop crapfest in the USA that benefits nobody, this is heading the same way.

My only input is to spend less time with fruitless bickering and get on with developing a better mousetrap.

You get much better return on investment showing cool things such as the 25 year Gource timeline.

jingof 
Posted on 7-Aug-2010 8:55:02
#243 ]

@Rogue, Metalheart

Quote:

Quote:

@Rogue
Quote:
teleports hookers into your living room

You rock !!

,,, yeah and if Rogue actually implements this feature, the Amiga community really will be back on top again!

Last edited by jingof on 07-Aug-2010 at 08:56 AM.

jingof 
Posted on 7-Aug-2010 9:25:03
#244 ]

@eliyahu

Good points, and happy to see more Amigans, like yourself joining the community again. Are you a former Amigan looking to get back into Amiga, as a result of the recent X1000 new items?

Regarding your post, it's a sad commentary that a new member, such as yourself, just joining the Amiga community is immediately confronted by all the trolling and infighting. It can be pretty in your face at times.

And you know, all those new to the community don't really care if we didn't get our t-shirts all those years ago, or whatever decade-old gripe the trolls are still hung-up on.

Like most of us, I really wish the trolls and drama queens would just take their negativity to their nearest Linux forum and leave us "optimist", whom are encouraged about Amiga's future (in all its forms), alone. It's high time we leave the past in the past, and instead focus on the good work Hyperion, A-Eon, MorphOS and AROS are doing.

The real question IMO, is will all the trolling, waring factions, and apparent "fracturing" of the Amiga line, send a significant percentage of would-be converts packing.

Hope not. Probably not. I dunno.

Last edited by jingof on 07-Aug-2010 at 09:34 AM.
Last edited by jingof on 07-Aug-2010 at 09:30 AM.
Last edited by jingof on 07-Aug-2010 at 09:28 AM.

Daniel 
Posted on 7-Aug-2010 10:16:43
#245 ]

@eliyahu

Quote:

red vs blue: why?

Because some people just hang around Amiga forums to argue, I suspect they get some pleasure out of it.

Wizzard_o 
Posted on 7-Aug-2010 10:21:12
#246 ]
Cult Member
From: UK, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Solar System, Alpha Quadrant, The Milky-Way, Universe. 1.1.1.3.44.HP

@Daniel
I also suspect they they don't even have an Amiga...

Leo 
Posted on 7-Aug-2010 10:55:07
#247 ]

Quote:

When programmers write programs for OCS and it does not work for AGA,
this is the problem we have, developers that do not support common software API's that enable users to upgrade there machines.

Of course, people directly programmed the hardware at that time... There was no API. The OS was killed right after the boot.

Deniil715 
Posted on 7-Aug-2010 11:45:56
#248 ]
Elite Member

@eliyahu

My understanding about the "bad blood" between MOS and OS4 is this:

Those who developed MOS did it because noone else actually got their thumb out and did it. And being a hobby project(*) from start it didn't have to have a complete business plan to do it and the hardware was already available (Amiga+PPC accelerators).

Those clinging to AmigaOS (like me) didn't like the idea that the future of Amiga would be developed by hobbyists(*) but wished for a proper business plan. We had to wait very long.

(*) I have no facts about this. Perhaps Phase5 really did have some kind of business plan and actually hired and payed people to develop MorphOS. I don't know. Later of course Genesi came into play.

Now the problem *IMO* is that the MOS people felt screwed over when the new "official" OS4 did not take advantage of all their 5 years of hard work but a bit stubbornly decided to do it all from scratch. There is a very good reason why they did start from scratch though, because they could use the actual sources of AmigaOS and did not have to write a lot of other stuff from scratch. It is also my picture that those who use and like MorphOS like the idea of it being open and not controlled and may argue OS4 people let themself be lead like sheep and as some say "AmigaOS4 is really HypeOS".

OS4 users on the other hand like the idea of running the official AmigaOS and believe it will have a better future and therefore think that MOS is just another side branch. Since MOS also happen to be better in areas (it does have 5 more years behind it) (and the hardware eventually had fewer bugs) the OS4 users feel the need to scream louder to compensate for lacks in their official OS4. OS4 do have some distinct advantages such as it ditched the ancient library system for a new OO system.

Now keep that flame burning, it is in fact part of what drives the development by keeping the competition!

Last edited by Deniil715 on 07-Aug-2010 at 11:49 AM.

Boot_WB 
Posted on 7-Aug-2010 12:42:49
#249 ]

@Rogue

Quote:

Rogue wrote:
@Fab

Quote:
You can understand the bitterness it caused, can't you? And a couple years later, you see some of the individuals who participated in this doing it again with OS4...

Doing what "again"?

And maybe it's time to get over your self-righteous bitterness.

Fab is one of the best developers around, and as far as I can see holds no 'bitterness' towards anyone.

Given how things have degenerated on the '25 years' news item (thanks to two individuals) I can understand your frustration, but there's no need to have a go at Fab for it. Throughout this thread he has been civil and pretty dispassionate about (what could be) a divisive and inciteful subject.

Regards

Rich

Leo 
Posted on 7-Aug-2010 13:22:01
#250 ]

Quote:

because they could use the actual sources of AmigaOS and did not have to write a lot of other stuff from scratch.

Of course they had to do it from scratch: lots of things were written in assembly (starting with the kernel), other things in BCPL,... most things have been rewritten anyway.

And my understanding is that some people from Hyperion lied about MorphOS, causing lots of troubles (at least from an image point of view, since it doesn't went further). Yes, I'm referring to the "it's a well known fact that MorphOS is using OS3.1 source code". And since then, no apologies have been done. With these quotes, MorphOS guys could be seen as thieves, out-law people.

Now, knowing that, why do you think they would cooperate now ? Especially knowing that the people that spread these lies are still part of Hyperion (and even E-On)...

Users just follow their "leaders"... Feeling the same hanger. And spreading the same bad thoughts.

Last edited by Leo on 07-Aug-2010 at 01:53 PM.
Last edited by Leo on 07-Aug-2010 at 01:23 PM.

jacadcaps 
Posted on 7-Aug-2010 15:06:08
#251 ]

@Rogue

Quote:

Doing what "again"?

Having rather short memory, aren't we? Surely you must remember all the FUD Hyperion's Ben Hermans spread about MorphOS. Perhaps you just chose not to remember... Well you can refresh your memory with http://www.biclodon.com/misc/amigafarm/benhermans/

acefnq 
Posted on 7-Aug-2010 15:59:11
#252 ]
Cult Member

@All
I have OS4 x 2 and MOS x 2 and my son is battling for his life and has been for the past 3 years and all is not looking well . Build bridges, get a grip. It is not really that important.

ace

klx300r 
Posted on 7-Aug-2010 17:00:19
#253 ]
Elite Member

@acefnq

sooo true ace.............may God give your son & family strength !

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

KimmoK 
Posted on 7-Aug-2010 19:20:29
#254 ]
Elite Member

@klx300r

+1

"red vs blue: why?"

See "Matrix" the movie.

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

Rogue 
Posted on 8-Aug-2010 0:50:44
#255 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@jacadcaps

LOL nice page. It's interesting to see that "your" side presents facts while "our" side is spreading FUD?

If you read the question again, however, I merely asked for a qualification, not for a supposed justification for your self-righteous bitterness.

Karlos 
Posted on 8-Aug-2010 1:02:25
#256 ]
Elite Member
From: As-sassin-aaate! As-sassin-aaate! Ooh! We forgot the ammunition!

Perhaps we should just put all the red and blue trolls in a blender and see if they come out purple...

Seriously, why do people still go on about this crap? It's 2010 for crying out loud. Haven't they got anything better to do?

jacadcaps 
Posted on 8-Aug-2010 10:09:10
#257 ]

@Rogue

I kind of hoped you'd put some distance between you and those lies (those claims that we recompiled AmigaOS source code are still making me laugh after all those years). Seems I was hoping for too much.

Oh well... at least more people had a chance to visit this site now. It's the best answer for the question in the topic of this thread that I can think of.

Plexus 
Posted on 8-Aug-2010 11:10:38
#258 ]

@eliyahu

The probems is that the userbase is to small, red and blue camp fight for their existens in long run ( IN LOOOONG RUUUN)...
But problem now a day is not if Morphos or Amigaos is the best choice . The big problem is Development speed of both platform or OSes. 3D drivers are too slow on both platform, usb 1.0/2.0 not 100% working etc. Both platform have too slow hardware and too slow 3D support to run their oses and 3d applications. of course all i write is my opinion not care too much about what i write if feel angry over it. We all need Amiga simple because we are addicted to Amiga from childhood. We Need Amiga to evolve. We need The best we can get out of Amiga systems.
Fast, Robust och extremly userfriendly system we all love. And most important Funny system to use, we all know Win never be the same in funny level.

I think we soon reach to a point when Amiga Rulez like never before at least in our community.
(A-ONE X1000 on the way with AOS4.x) is my way too go in future and I hope your way too!
Not because Morphos is bad with mac,,, But i want exclusive Amiga hardware with real OS incarnation of real AmigaOS. The property of AmigaOS4.x and above only Hyperion Entertainment can give us! feels more Mos team only try too compete with its lookalike Morphos. But the fact is: Morphos is morphos and can never be AmigaOS, in property, in name in real incarnation of real Amigaos,,, thats it....

AmigaOne X5000, AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition Update 2 special super 2 cores prepared super edition v75 christmas speciale uniqe quadro prepared AmigaOS... TWO MORE YEARS IS NOTHING IF YOU BEEN WAITING SINCE 1994..

djrikki 
Posted on 8-Aug-2010 12:04:56
#259 ]
Elite Member

@Plexus

Well put. /applauds

djrikki 
Posted on 8-Aug-2010 12:05:58
#260 ]
Elite Member

@jacadcaps

There so much smoke around here, I guess there must be a fire somewhere.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle