Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
8 crawler(s) on-line.
 151 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 CosmosUnivers:  8 mins ago
 pixie:  12 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  38 mins ago
 AmigaPapst:  38 mins ago
 RobertB:  43 mins ago
 jPV:  57 mins ago
 ppcamiga1:  1 hr 3 mins ago
 matthey:  2 hrs 47 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  3 hrs 46 mins ago
 djnick:  4 hrs 6 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  red vs blue: why?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
PosterThread
KimmoK 
Re: red vs blue: why?
Posted on 8-Aug-2010 12:30:26
#261 ]
Elite Member

@Plexus

I agree on the first part, not fully on the second part (even though also I am fond of the old legacy OS codebase evolution more than AOS3 API remakes, I would love to see AOS3API sandbox + NG AOS API, but so far I have not seen it ... hopefully during my lifetime I will).

IDEA:

Let's all blame Amiga Inc / Aminoboys and be friends!!!!!

As people can see, Amiga Inc's (especially) Fleecys's incapability to handle the AOS issue was the core reason of the blue vs red division. If Amiga Inc had the balls and competence to manage the AOS project we would have had "purple" AOS.
http://www.biclodon.com/misc/amigafarm/benhermans/20011104_usingos31sourcecode.html

Ben and Ralph are only minor players there, Amiga inc had the ball but no balls.

((Ralph was not independent because he had bplan around his little finger and Ben was not independent because he had Hyperion interests to consider. Amiga Inc should have used their own brains or (preferably) asked from the community.))

Last edited by KimmoK on 08-Aug-2010 at 12:56 PM.
Last edited by KimmoK on 08-Aug-2010 at 12:51 PM.

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

Profile     Report this post  
PulsatingQuasar 
Posted on 8-Aug-2010 12:42:00
#262 ]
Cult Member

Holly crap. After all these years and people are still going on about all of this. Useless.

persia 
Posted on 8-Aug-2010 13:38:43
#263 ]

@PulsatingQuasar

It's basically "Lord of the Flies" but with more feeling....

Boot_WB 
Posted on 8-Aug-2010 13:41:46
#264 ]

@Karlos

Quote:
All I ever coded, all I ever needed
Is here, in C plus plus.
BASIC is very unnecessary,
it can only suck ass...

Depeche Mode fan!

Anonymous 
Posted on 8-Aug-2010 14:23:58
# ]

@Rogue

Quote:
LOL nice page. It's interesting to see that "your" side presents facts while "our" side is spreading FUD?

No wonder there's arguments if you can't denounce quotes from a member of your company saying that MorphOS is based on stolen source-code.

It doesn't matter whether "they started it" or "look what they said about us". Those are by far the most serious allegations in this thread, and either you support them or you don't.

Your aggressive response sucks when so many of your customers talk about reconciliation. Very disappointing.

Chris

Last edited by clebin on 08-Aug-2010 at 02:24 PM.

Report this post  
djrikki 
Posted on 8-Aug-2010 14:29:37
#266 ]
Elite Member

@Boot_WB

Depeche mode.. yeah brilliant, maybe it wasn't intentional, but I had that song in my head after the first line. :D

Boot_WB 
Posted on 8-Aug-2010 14:39:45
#267 ]

@djrikki

It took me about 5 minutes racking my brain, thinking 'I know that from somewhere...'

You can take the boy out of the 80's, but you can't take the 80's out of the boy...

pavlor 
Posted on 8-Aug-2010 15:41:00
#268 ]
Elite Member

@clebin

Quote:
Your aggressive response sucks when so many of your customers talk about reconciliation. Very disappointing.

After nearly 10 years it makes no sense to argue, who was good and who worse.

Borders are drawn and in the end both parties will not admit any faults they did. They will only repeat: We Didn't Start The Fire

You wrote about reconciliation. Nice idea. But look at the other side: there are even some "members" of this community, who are very angry when Hyperion writes or speaks about its own OS (Amiga OS). Very disappointing.

eliyahu 
Posted on 8-Aug-2010 15:53:33
#269 ]

@jingof

Quote:
jingof wrote:

Good points, and happy to see more Amigans, like yourself joining the community again. Are you a former Amigan looking to get back into Amiga, as a result of the recent X1000 new items?

nope. my SAM440ep-flex machine is my first, and so far, only amiga.

Quote:
Regarding your post, it's a sad commentary that a new member, such as yourself, just joining the Amiga community is immediately confronted by all the trolling and infighting. It can be pretty in your face at times.

in truth i have never seen an active computing community -- whether vintage or otherwise -- that didn't have a few 'old fights' still being waged by the faithful. that said i have never, ever seen anything remotely as venomous as what i have read looking back at ann.lu comments and moobunny posts. after a few minutes looking through various threads, i gave up. death threats? accusations regarding the 'personal preferences' of various developers' private lives. unreal. the reason i started this thread was not to re-hash the arguments themselves, just to know what the arguments actually were.

it seems there were and are quite a few.

i genuinely enjoy using my SAM. i use it every day for those things that are not work-related (i'm in the computing industry). i hope that, whatever their flavor of choice, that other OS4 users, MOS users, AROS users, and classic hold-outs enjoy their systems as much as i have thus far.

-- eliyahu

eliyahu 
Posted on 8-Aug-2010 15:55:16
#270 ]

@Daniel

Quote:
Daniel wrote:

Because some people just hang around Amiga forums to argue, I suspect they get some pleasure out of it.

yup. based on the past few months, i think i can point out two or three already.

-- eliyahu

recedent 
Posted on 8-Aug-2010 18:31:58
#271 ]

Quote:

Plexus wrote:

The probems is that the userbase is to small, red and blue camp fight for their existens in long run ( IN LOOOONG RUUUN)...

Of course the userbase is too small. And both sides try to address this problem. OS4.x camp tries to simplify porting from Linux (at a cost of being less and less AmigaOS-alike as we know it) - 'cause more apps makes more users/developers. MorphOS camp tries to gain new users by giving them access to affordable hardware and free demo version. Which way is better - only future will tell.

Quote:
But problem now a day is not if Morphos or Amigaos is the best choice . The big problem is Development speed of both platform or OSes. 3D drivers are too slow on both platform, usb 1.0/2.0 not 100% working etc.

That's your opinion. I personally want faster 3d and better USB support on more affordable hardware. Of course all I write is my opinion. I don't care too much what I write if I feel angry over it, to use your words.

Quote:
Both platform have too slow hardware and too slow 3D support to run their oses and 3d applications.

Too slow to do what? To run their OSes?! Seems your "SAM 440EP FLEX 733 MHz" is a pain to use, right?

Quote:
We need The best we can get out of Amiga systems. Fast, Robust och extremly userfriendly system we all love. And most important Funny system to use, we all know Win never be the same in funny level.

I agree. That's why I use MorphOS (OK, I don't agree it's funny. It's fun to use, but not funny at all)

Quote:
(A-ONE X1000 on the way with AOS4.x) is my way too go in future (...) Not because Morphos is bad with mac... But i want exclusive Amiga hardware with real OS incarnation of real AmigaOS. The property of AmigaOS4.x and above only Hyperion Entertainment can give us! feels more Mos team only try too compete with its lookalike Morphos.

That exclusive Amiga hardware is something yet to be seen. As far you do have some prototypes of exclusive AmigaOne hardware. And that "lookalike" part - that's a good one. Seems almost like you've never seen MorphOS, mate.

Quote:
But the fact is: Morphos is morphos and can never be AmigaOS, in property, in name in real incarnation of real Amigaos,,, thats it....

If you'd read carefully through this very thread you'd know that MorphOS was at the time very close to beeing AmigaOS, in property, in name and in real incarnation,,, thats it....

Hondo 
Posted on 8-Aug-2010 18:49:16
#272 ]

@recedent

Quote:
MorphOS was at the time very close to beeing AmigaOS, in property, in name and in real incarnation,,, thats it....

And I'm sure it would have been a very good OS for nextgen amiga machines...if faith would have wanted it so. Apparently it didn't, and AmigaOS survived and became the official OS, as it probably was meant to be from the very beginning.

I salute MorphOS devs for trying to do something about the situation at that time. (even though others were still fighting for AOS solution, and you perhaps should have been more patient before starting something like a new OS up)

I wish you guys luck with your fine OS - it looks awesome

pampers 
Posted on 8-Aug-2010 20:50:27
#273 ]

Don't destroy MorphOS trying to make it AmigaOS.

Karlos 
Posted on 8-Aug-2010 20:58:07
#274 ]
Elite Member
From: As-sassin-aaate! As-sassin-aaate! Ooh! We forgot the ammunition!

@Boot_WB

Quote:

Boot_WB wrote:
@Karlos

Quote:
All I ever coded, all I ever needed
Is here, in C plus plus.
BASIC is very unnecessary,
it can only suck ass...

Depeche Mode fan!

Yep. I think that signature dates back to an old programming language flamewar :)

I recognise that it has it's uses, but it's fair to say, I don't like BASIC...

Last edited by Karlos on 08-Aug-2010 at 08:59 PM.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 8-Aug-2010 22:34:56
#275 ]
Elite Member

@pampers

Progress only comes form improving on what you have, not from trying to imitate some thing else, and think this is natural progress.

Fab 
Posted on 9-Aug-2010 0:38:56
#276 ]

@NutsAboutAmiga

Is this definition of progress compatible with reusing linux concepts or toolkits like QT, btw? :)

pavlor 
Posted on 9-Aug-2010 7:58:43
#277 ]
Elite Member

@Fab

Quote:
Is this definition of progress compatible with reusing linux concepts or toolkits like QT, btw? :)

Why not? Good to have them.

KimmoK 
Posted on 9-Aug-2010 8:11:53
#278 ]
Elite Member

If Amiga Inc had managed to do their business, MOS team would have gained the access to AOS3 code. And MOS would have then been the true successor of AOS3, and would have been named accordingly.

That did not happen, hence the split & war. Lets blame the * Inc and get over it for common SW & community. Please.

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

itix 
Posted on 9-Aug-2010 8:50:29
#279 ]
Elite Member

@KimmoK

Quote:

If Amiga Inc had managed to do their business, MOS team would have gained the access to AOS3 code. And MOS would have then been the true successor of AOS3, and would have been named accordingly.

AFAIK this was not the case. MorphOS would have reused AmigaOS source code but AFAIK there were no plans to rename MorphOS to AmigaOS. MorphOS was never supposed to be new AmigaOS but new OS altogether.

To my knowledge the MorphOS team never had interest on the name. They were only interested in source code to boost MorphOS development. MorphOS would have used Workbench as its default desktop and Ambient wouldnt exist.

Quote:

That did not happen, hence the split & war. Lets blame the * Inc and get over it for common SW & community. Please.

It was not really Amiga Inc. per se although people like Gary Peake, Hermans, Moss and others affiliated with Amiga Inc. tried to make it difficult. The split has existed since PowerUp vs WarpUp wars and OS4 vs MorphOS split is nothing but continuation of this old kernel war.

At some point WarpOS was supposed to be new AmigaOS 4. It would not have been possible if MorphOS team had deal with Amiga Inc. but H&P couldnt get fair deal with Amiga either.

Last edited by itix on 09-Aug-2010 at 08:54 AM.

cha05e90 
Posted on 9-Aug-2010 10:49:39
#280 ]

@itix

Quote:
MorphOS was never supposed to be new AmigaOS but new OS altogether.

phase5 had the hardware (PPC boards), phase5 had the software foundation (PowerUP) and phase5 had the reputation. Of course their aim was to "overtake" the Amiga market as it's main HW and SW vendor. And it was nothing wrong with this business idea! History in "Amiga" would have been different if they had succeded to become the offcial partner for "Amiga Whatever Inc.". But - as we all know - they didn't.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle