Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
23 crawler(s) on-line.
 131 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

matthey

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  4 mins ago
 zipper:  16 mins ago
 Luc:  1 hr 1 min ago
 kolla:  1 hr 24 mins ago
 amigakit:  2 hrs 35 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  2 hrs 37 mins ago
 pixie:  2 hrs 58 mins ago
 BigD:  4 hrs 17 mins ago
 AndreasM:  5 hrs ago
 OlafS25:  5 hrs 33 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  red vs blue: why?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
PosterThread
Ruud 
Re: red vs blue: why?
Posted on 28-Jul-2010 14:58:21
#41 ]

@Rogue

Quote:

Rogue wrote:

I am quite sure any number of people will jump on my posting here and tell me that I am a rabid red troll that is actively doing what I was saying up there. I don't care. Contrary to what you might think, I *really* don't care about MorphOS, or AROS for the matter. I do not care whether their OS is better or worse at something. I only care to make our product as good as possible. Things would be nicer if everybody thought that way, but what I heard in Essen last weekend implies it is not going to be that way.

Oh well...

Don't take this the wrong way, but shouldn't you care what Morphos and AROS are doing better than your product? Do you think that Sony pays no attention to what Nintendo or Microsoft are up to? It is always wise to pay attention to the competition and learn from where they get things right but also where they get things wrong. But maybe you only count Linux as your competition?

Profile     Report this post  
Colin_Camper 
Posted on 28-Jul-2010 15:01:34
#42 ]

@Hypex

Quote:
Who gave them the sources and when?

I am afraid I cannot answer that. And the people who know may not want to!

It's common knowledge that Amiga Inc didn't get any sources from H&P and I also heard the rumour that they couldn't even lay their hands on the sources for OS3.1.

cha05e90 
Posted on 28-Jul-2010 15:02:01
#43 ]

@Rogue

I am rather sure that if someones takes your text(s) and switches all references of "AmigaOS/MorphOS" and "Red/Blue" it could have been written by *some* developers from MorphOS ..

Sometimes I really think you have much more in common than the "outsiders" like me or the "communities" think...

tonyw 
Posted on 28-Jul-2010 15:02:07
#44 ]
Elite Member

@Colin_Camper

That's an excellent summing-up of the history.
Just one little complaint: I don't remember when Bill Buck and Rachel became involved with the Phoenix Consortium, but it wasn't at the start of its (the Consortium's) life. I was there at the outset and hung on for some time (as did Bill McEwen and Fleecy). Bill & Fleecy became involved with Tao and left the Consortium about mid-2001. The partnership with Tao finished abruptly when the "IT bubble" burst in the US early in 2001, and I think that the relationship with Bill B must have started well after that time.

Hyperion Support Forum: http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/index.php

DiscreetFX 
Posted on 28-Jul-2010 15:02:13
#45 ]
Elite Member

@bitman

I don't believe the less than 1000 active Amiga users either. While I don't know what the traffic is to great sites like amigaworld.net, MorphZone, EAB and others. I do know that bandwith use on Amiga.org is around 60-70 GB per month. That is not just 1000 people or less interested in Amiga. It is much more.

Fab 
Posted on 28-Jul-2010 15:02:13
#46 ]

@Colin_Camper

May i suggest you reformulate this "The Morphos development team spectacularly fall out with Bill & Raquel Buck.", because the MorphOS story certainly doesn't end like this.

Thank you. :)

Anonymous 
Posted on 28-Jul-2010 15:02:59
# ]

@Rogue

Quote:

To this date, no one ever asked me whether we would consider Timberwolf for MorphOS or AROS. They just flung more mud.

Yes, that was a bad approach and not helpful. As per my previous post, can I ask if there's any technology in AROS which you might consider porting to AmigaOS and contributing back changes and/or bug-fixes, and perhaps even helping to improve? Honestly, I have no particular bad agenda in asking that.

Chris

Report this post  
Colin_Camper 
Posted on 28-Jul-2010 15:06:10
#48 ]

@tonyw

Thanks. I forgot they came in later.
I must admit my memory is a bit woolly from those 'Greenboy' days. Thanks for the correction -As you say Bill McEwen or Fleecy or both were in the Pheonix.

Last edited by Colin_Camper on 28-Jul-2010 at 03:09 PM.

Colin_Camper 
Posted on 28-Jul-2010 15:07:28
#49 ]

@Fab

Sorry. I ran out of steam a bit at the end!
I'll edit!

Hypex 
Posted on 28-Jul-2010 15:10:25
#50 ]
Elite Member

@Rogue

Quote:
There's no going back. There is not going to be any reunion. It just drifted apart, and nobody will want to give up what they have. And why should they?

I very much agree! It's nice to parade hippie notions about how OS4, MOS and AROS should join in world peace Amiga style. But that's just fantasy!

I'm not a core developer of any but I know the technical differences that just wouldn't make this posible, even if all the programmers for each got together every night for their Amiga family dinner.

Fact is here the Amiga computer and OS is the root founder of all these Amiga denominations. If anything at all this is what they all share in common. Against a lack of survival the Amiga was forced to split up into different offsprings. This is what we ended up with, in order that the Amiga could keep on living, Amiga of sorts anyway.

So it is strange that we would be fighting each other. Since all of us are part of the survival. Perhaps not quite the revival. But without any of us the Amiga would be dead.

Funny that we don't live together in peace with a common ground but instead just seem to be fighting eachhother. Would we prefer to fight eachother for Amiga brownie points and survival rather than letting the Amiga die in peace?

Well, it's got me thinking.

Last edited by Hypex on 29-Jul-2010 at 04:13 PM.

kudlaty 
Posted on 28-Jul-2010 15:12:41
#51 ]

@clebin

Quote:
Honestly, I have no particular bad agenda in asking that.

It's a pity disclaimers like that need to be appended in the first place.

kudlaty 
Posted on 28-Jul-2010 15:17:50
#52 ]

@Hypex

Quote:
It's nice to parade hippie notions about how OS4, MOS and AROS should join in world peace Amiga style. But that's just fantasy!

But Clebin's suggestion would work, I think. AROS comes with a licence that allows to share code with the other two, just let them pick the parts they like, re-contribute what they improved, and in the end everyone gains. That's not only a hippie notion, it actually works.

Last edited by kudlaty on 28-Jul-2010 at 03:20 PM.
Last edited by kudlaty on 28-Jul-2010 at 03:19 PM.
Last edited by kudlaty on 28-Jul-2010 at 03:19 PM.

itix 
Posted on 28-Jul-2010 15:20:39
#53 ]
Elite Member

@Rogue

Quote:

That's actually not quite true. I never had anything to do with either PowerUp or WarpOS. At the time they came up I couldn't care less. The initial implementation of Warp3D and the drivers were 68k. Sam Jordan ported to PowerPC, and yeah, he chose WarpOS. A choice I neither supported nor opposed. I was told at that time that WarpOS was faster, but since I didn't have PPC hardware, I didn't know and didn't care.

Pretty much everyone who was making WarpUp chose OS4 and everyone who was making PowerUp chose MorphOS. After all, WarpUp was supposed to be new AmigaOS 4 at some point and MorphOS was going to support PowerUp only. There was lot of fighting at ANN about it... oh well, memories...

Quote:

Of course, my involvement with Warp3D meant I was branded as one of the bad guys by the PowerUP crowd. When I finally got PPC hardware, I actually had considered porting Warp3D over to PowerUP. However, all the flames I got from the blue camp convinced me to stay away from it.

And other camp never flamed anything? I have seen emails certain magic steffen was sending to Amiga companies supporting PowerUp So much fight for something which resulted in... nothing. After all PUP and WUP were only temporary solutions which maybe wouldnt exist if ESCOM didnt fail

Quote:

There's no going back. There is not going to be any reunion. It just drifted apart, and nobody will want to give up what they have. And why should they?

Indeed. Both "camps" can enjoy what they have done and continue to do so.

Posted on 28-Jul-2010 15:21:09
#54 ]

@Rogue

Quote:

Rogue wrote:
@1970

I am not quite sure what you mean with that, but if you think that AmigaOS or any of its clones can go up against the "rest of the world" (i.e. Windows, Mac, Linux), then I can only advice you to make a reality check.

Many of the serious amiga users (non-gamers), disappeared in 1998-2002.
They liked the Amiga Workbench. But they need updated third-party applications that are quite common today in other systems. I should not complain, though I am unpatient.
Of course, I do not think Windows or Linux is a reasonable goal.

well, my personal opinion is that Hyperion and A-eon is on the right track.

Last edited by 1970 on 28-Jul-2010 at 03:28 PM.

TrevorDick 
Posted on 28-Jul-2010 16:11:01
#55 ]
Elite Member

"Imagine" - John Lennon

TrevorD

ShadowSun 
Posted on 28-Jul-2010 16:15:38
#56 ]

The real Amiga is not AROS, MorphOS or AmigaOS4, it's just AmigaOS 68k...

Or is it Amithlon ?

HammerD 
Posted on 28-Jul-2010 16:21:27
#57 ]
Cult Member

@ShadowSun

Well Amithlon isn't an OS. It's just a way to run a slightly modified OS 3.9 on a Linux core. Smells and feels like an Amiga, though :)

Amithlon had a lot of potential....and there is a full story behind that sad saga, too.

:(

Posted on 28-Jul-2010 16:25:20
#58 ]

To repeat myself from another forum. I like Workbench, MUI and Diropus magII file transmission system. I do not like the rest of diropus magII. MUI should have been an alternative GUI included in AmigaOS.

Last edited by 1970 on 28-Jul-2010 at 04:25 PM.

Hypex 
Posted on 28-Jul-2010 16:25:39
#59 ]
Elite Member

@ShadowSun

Quote:
The real Amiga is not AROS, MorphOS or AmigaOS4, it's just AmigaOS 68k...

Only partially true, you forgot about the Amiga computer!

Rogue 
Posted on 28-Jul-2010 16:25:58
#60 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@Ruud

Quote:
Don't take this the wrong way, but shouldn't you care what Morphos and AROS are doing better than your product?

"better" or "worse" are very subjective.

I don't care what they do. I want a good product, and not copy another.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle