Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
13 crawler(s) on-line.
 158 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 DiscreetFX:  7 mins ago
 Hypex:  15 mins ago
 AndreasM:  16 mins ago
 kolla:  24 mins ago
 Gunnar:  37 mins ago
 saimo:  1 hr 25 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 44 mins ago
 OldFart:  1 hr 44 mins ago
 _ThEcRoW:  2 hrs 4 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  2 hrs 31 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga Inc. offshoot
      /  The New Commodore Amiga 500x and Commodore 64x
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 Next Page )
PosterThread
persia 
Re: The New Commodore C500 and Commodore PC64
Posted on 15-Aug-2010 1:15:31
#161 ]

@Amiga_3k
In the end Homecraft & Hooker Furniture have a license to the Commodore name and it really doesn't matter what we think. There are precious few computer manufacturers outside of China, that's where the innovation is....

Profile     Report this post  
persia 
Posted on 15-Aug-2010 1:23:30
#162 ]

@Amiga_3k
In the end Homecraft & Hooker Furniture have a license to the Commodore name and it really doesn't matter what we think. There are precious few computer manufacturers outside of China, that's where the innovation is....

So Hooker buys it, stick a Commodore label on it and resells it. It's no different from furniture.

Last edited by persia on 15-Aug-2010 at 01:25 AM.

WillKar 
Posted on 15-Aug-2010 8:07:30
#163 ]

@BigBentheAussie:
Is it my understanding only, or are you "discreetly" avoiding an answer to phoenixkonsole's question?
"Is it now really really really really official that you (CommodoreUSA) have the rights for the Name "commodore" ? "

Argosy 
Posted on 15-Aug-2010 10:38:07
#164 ]

@WillKar

Quote:

WillKar wrote:
@BigBentheAussie:
Is it my understanding only, or are you "discreetly" avoiding an answer to phoenixkonsole's question?
"Is it now really really really really official that you (CommodoreUSA) have the rights for the Name "commodore" ? "

In his first post on this thread, BigBentheAussie wrote....

Quote:
P.S.
Oh, and one more thing..... read the small print at the bottom of the Commodore USA home page.

And if you do go on the Commodore USA page, you'll find that it says

Commodore® trademark used under exclusive worldwide license by Commodore USA, LLC for its line of AIO (All-In-One) keyboard computers, is the trademark of Commodore Licensing, BV, registered in the United States and other countries worldwide.

We'll go to that forbidden land.

Manu 
Posted on 15-Aug-2010 11:31:22
#165 ]

@WillKar

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/04/15/commodore_name_kerfuffle/

WillKar 
Posted on 15-Aug-2010 11:39:03
#166 ]

Thanks folks, it's become a really long thread, and i guess i'm just lazy to read the whole thing...
Nice to know!

padrino 
Posted on 15-Aug-2010 14:08:54
#167 ]

@BigBentheAussie

Quote:

BigBentheAussie wrote:
@clebin

BTW the rendering is getting updated tomorrow.
Stay tuned.

So,

where is it?

CU,
Mario

Chuckt 
Posted on 16-Aug-2010 1:50:17
#168 ]

@BigBentheAussie

I can do better than $700-$1300 with a throw away Dell computer. The C-64 broke the price barrier for the classes and offered computing for the masses.

The Commodore 64 was one of the last home brew computers for hobbyists:

Will the Last Computer Hobbyist Please Turn Out the Lights?

The Commodore 64 ran Basic. Basic no longer comes with Windows. The PC is not easy to program because C will take a programmer two years to learn on that architecture.

The Commodore 64 was easy to program. Fewer people program for a Windows computer anymore. In fact, I liked the Commodore because it was a home computer that could be programmed at home while the PC has been taken over by programmers that sit in a room to write code that takes your hard drive hours to install and uninstall.

In my opinion, it is tacky to take a Commodore logo and put it on and sell it on a PC. You can look at it as a business opportunity all you want but I look at it as an absurdity.

The PC is for someone who wants to spend money on virus checkers, hundreds of dollars on word processing programs, hundreds of dollars on other software.

The PC is made for someone who has money ; schools that are scrapped for cash will have One Laptop Per Child rather than several children sharing a PC.

TheDungeonDelver 
Posted on 16-Aug-2010 4:04:13
#169 ]
Cult Member

@Chuckt

You're so wrong it hurts.

Amiga_3k 
Posted on 16-Aug-2010 5:29:14
#170 ]
Cult Member

@Chuckt

Actually, if you want to learn programming on Windows, Microsoft has Small Basic on offer for free. It's not too bad as a start-language. Once you master it, you can evolve towards VB Express, which is free as well.

So far the Microsoft advertising...

When it comes to brand computers you simply pay for the badge, that's nothing new.

Manu 
Posted on 16-Aug-2010 6:42:30
#171 ]

@TheDungeonDelver

+1

http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?c=905&st=1
Quote:

Commodore launched its range of PC-compatible systems at the height of the company’s popularity, with home and business systems being sold in over 50 countries. Commodore was the largest seller of computer systems in the world with sales in excess of $1 billion. Regardless, Commodore eventually suffered from permanent financial and structural problems.

The range of Commodore PC-compatible computers offered several different models:
- PC-1 A very small PC-compatible with a 4.77MHz 8088 processor (without turbo clock), a single 5.25” FDD, 512KB of RAM, and Hercules/GCA video board. The PC-1 lacked any internal expansion slots or cooling fans.
- PC-10 A basic 8088-based PC-compatible system with 1 or 2 floppy drives (page photo).
- Colt A re-branded version of the PC-10 system.
- PC-20 Identical to the PC-10 system, but included a 20MB hard disk.
- PC-30 PC-AT 12 MHz 80286-based system including a 20MB hard disk. Probably the same machine as the PC-35 but only sold in Europe.
- PC-35 Same features as the PC-30.
- PC-40 PC-AT 10 MHz system with 1 MB RAM, Hercules/CGA video card, and a 20MB to 80MB hard disk. A jumper setting allowed the memory to be configured between 640KB or 512KB + 512KB of extended memory.
- PC-50 80386SX 16 MHz system with a 40MB to 100MB hard disk.
- PC-60 80386 25 MHz system with a tower case and a 60MB to 200MB hard disk

So next up is Commodore PC-64 eh ?

Chuckt 
Posted on 16-Aug-2010 17:24:47
#172 ]

@Amiga_3k

Quote:

Amiga_3k wrote:
@Chuckt

Actually, if you want to learn programming on Windows, Microsoft has Small Basic on offer for free. It's not too bad as a start-language. Once you master it, you can evolve towards VB Express, which is free as well.

So far the Microsoft advertising...

When it comes to brand computers you simply pay for the badge, that's nothing new.

I didn't know about that but thank you. Their Small Basic example reminds me of Pilot for the C-64 which didn't do well. The turtle is a product of Logo (Lisp).

Bordland's Turbo Pascall is free as well but you won't see a lot of excitement about that.

Last edited by Chuckt on 16-Aug-2010 at 05:28 PM.

Chuckt 
Posted on 16-Aug-2010 17:27:08
#173 ]

@TheDungeonDelver

Quote:

TheDungeonDelver wrote:
@Chuckt

You're so wrong it hurts.

I don't know why but ok. I accept your point of view.

TheDungeonDelver 
Posted on 16-Aug-2010 17:55:41
#174 ]
Cult Member

@Chuckt

Because you could literally fill a hard drive with all of the free apps, games and system utilities - again, free, not costing you a single dime - for the PC.

My anti-virus software? Free. One of many. Ever hear of OpenOffice? Google Docs? Free games ranging from RPGs to platformers to sims to first person shooters. Don't like IE? Use Firefox. Opera. Google Chrome.

The idea that the PC is a platform that you can only get apps if you throw loads of money at it is patently ridiculous.

On the contrary, the PC is one of the most inclusive, easy-to-enter computing platforms, period.

Chuckt 
Posted on 16-Aug-2010 18:20:01
#175 ]

@TheDungeonDelver

We tried free antivirus programs and our computer kept getting taken over. We paid for Malwarebytes.

As far as public domain, Cnet and Tucows offer some free programs but most of it is cripled shareware offered as "free". Program writers weren't making any money so everything is advertised as "free" as in "free download" but it is cripled until you pay which means that "free" doesn't mean "free". In other words, I'll go through a day worth of searching for files that are free and only find files that are advertised for free when it is only a free download. A lot of free stuff also has spyware in it.

Due to security concerns, I wouldn't use google products and I tend not to let other companies do the thinking for me. When the software comes with a contract that the only information they will collect is non identifiable then how do I know they are keeping their word?

I will look into Open Office but I have my reservations.

Chuckt 
Posted on 16-Aug-2010 18:40:36
#176 ]

@TheDungeonDelver

This is in response to my last post about why I won't trust google chrome or products that send information over the internet.

The Laptop spycase by Lower Merion School District gives me enough pause. Just because we trust people doesn't mean that all people are honest. They photographed their school children in their bedrooms. Imagine your children being photographed at various stages of undress.

As far as Google is concerned, their morals of censoring people in China as well as helping the government find out things about you is really an invasion of privacy even though we have nothing to hide.

And then there is the case of Wikileaks blowing the whistle on people. There has to be laws for privacy because the police will use the color of law to protect their buddies against whistleblowers. I've allegedly seen it happen.

Last edited by Chuckt on 16-Aug-2010 at 06:41 PM.

Amiga_3k 
Posted on 16-Aug-2010 19:12:41
#177 ]
Cult Member

@Chuckt

Small Basic is an pure entry level BASIC designed to give kids a go at programming. I must admit that I still like the good old ACE version of AmigaBASIC (yes, I am the guy who actually liked programming AmigaBASIC ). But still it should be possible to write the odd game of MasterMind on Small Basic. Or some version of Penthouse Hotnumber Deluxe as both are do-able in JavaSCRIPT.

Oh, I did mostly calculation tools in AmigaBASIC. The only thing looking like a game was a MasterMind clone. Biggest thing I've done in (ACE) AmigaBASIC is a calculation tool for optimizing gearbox-settings in Formula One Grandprix for the Amiga.

So far, my off-topic rant about the past

Last edited by Amiga_3k on 16-Aug-2010 at 07:17 PM.

TheDungeonDelver 
Posted on 16-Aug-2010 20:35:51
#178 ]
Cult Member

@Chuckt

No offense intended but I don't know what you were doing wrong: I used AVGFree for years, never got hit. I prescribed it to all my customers, got 'em off of Norton Virus and macafee and other for-pay-only anti-virus apps that were nothing but boatanchors on system performance. For cleaning up systems, the free version of malwarebytes works just fine.

As to "free to download but must pay for"...man, am I going to have to start busting out links? I mean free. Free free. I use free DVD mastering tools on my XP notebook. (The Win7 bundled one is fine otherwise). There's a ton of free games on Steam. You can get blender for 3d, GIMP for image processing, the list goes on and on.

There's a whole wide world of free apps - truly free, mind you - that work just fine.

SHADES 
Posted on 16-Aug-2010 21:55:32
#179 ]
Cult Member

@ChuckT

I agree with DungeonDelver.
Appart from the OS, I use a majority of free software.
I have had a few troubles with AVG and viruses, so I use AVAST now.
Also free. and I have been fine since. As for Open Office, it's not Microsoft, sure, but it does work and it works well once you get used to it. Not to mention the countless games and utilities on offer.
I wanted a nice 1080P silent home cinema but didn't have much to spend. I did this on an old Athlon AGP mainboard I had spare with ATi AGP 3850HD ...annnnd.... MediaPlayer Classic Home Cinema which does DXVA acceleration for .x264 bluray decodes on my GPU and ffdshow, ffdshow audio etc etc for 7 ch surround sound decoding,.
Then there is firefox, flash, 7-zip, g-split, e-mail under Thunderbird (which is awesome) ....all....free :) The Athlon is good enough for Internet browsing and some older games so it's now a Media Center for entertainment for the kids as well.

Last edited by SHADES on 16-Aug-2010 at 11:16 PM.
Last edited by SHADES on 16-Aug-2010 at 11:15 PM.
Last edited by SHADES on 16-Aug-2010 at 11:12 PM.

Amiga_3k 
Posted on 17-Aug-2010 5:18:29
#180 ]
Cult Member

@SHADES

Recently I discovered AIMP2 for XP as a free MP3 player. Far quicker than Winamp and Mediaplayer. Microsoft ICE for creating panorama-pictures is free and does the job rather nice. Notepad++, nice little text-editor. For pretty much all commercial software there is a good freeware alternative. Best game discovery for me in the past months: Pingus. Or what about TrackMania (sure, their is a pay-for version but the free version is fun for days in a row).

So, there is no real need to pay tons of money into software. There's just one application that I'm missing in the 'free-zone' and that is a good FLASH builder.

So I agree with you, if you have the OS then for most tasks there is a good freeware alternative. Is it all joy? Nope. I truly mis a grammar check-function in OpenOffice.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle