Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
49 crawler(s) on-line.
 41 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

zipper,  Beajar

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Beajar:  24 secs ago
 zipper:  4 mins ago
 AmigaPapst:  14 mins ago
 AndreasM:  58 mins ago
 kiFla:  1 hr 4 mins ago
 Hypex:  1 hr 13 mins ago
 Templario:  1 hr 16 mins ago
 Karlos:  1 hr 31 mins ago
 BigD:  1 hr 33 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 41 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga News & Events
      /  AMIGA Name bought by Commodore!
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 Next Page )
PosterThread
WolfToTheMoon 
Re: AMIGA Name bought by Commodore!
Posted on 8-Sep-2010 12:15:53
#521 ]

That would be nice... a powerful desktop workstation for audio and video editing, graphics, simulations... Since Amigas used to be good at that there could be a market in those ex amigans that used to use old 68k to do that.

Profile     Report this post  
Dandy 
Posted on 8-Sep-2010 12:17:15
#522 ]
Elite Member

@eXec

Quote:

eXec wrote:

You got the Amiga name, next stop, Workbench.
I want you to take over the Workbench as well...

Won't work.
"Workbench" is part of "the software" AmigaOS3.x, which has been assigned to Hyperion, IIRC...

Quote:

eXec wrote:

You gout yourself a real Jackpot then....
no one can stop you!

Take it all!

What did you smoke to become so euphoric?

Dandy

marko 
Posted on 8-Sep-2010 14:06:50
#523 ]
From: Gothenburg, THE front side of Sweden ;), (via Finland), EU

@WolfToTheMoon

Quote:
What's a BAF?

*cough* *cough* Blind Amiga Follower *cough*

m4rko.com/AMIGA

eXec 
Posted on 8-Sep-2010 14:33:58
#524 ]
Cult Member

@Dandy

Too bad it won`t work! ;)

I took nothing... I just want something big to start...
Till now, too small steps... C= bundled together
with Amiga is a huge step forward...

At least I think so! ;)

nimrod7 
Posted on 8-Sep-2010 18:44:57
#525 ]

@eXec

it's not a step forward, it's a giant leap. i suggest C=USA to bundle Deluxe Paint IV AGA and Final Copy disk images with the new Amiga models, so we get an extra retro-feeling referencing original A1200 bonus.

btw. X1000 smells like... vapour, so i'm waiting for Comodo OS running on AIO Amiga or...maybe...tower/desktop Amiga ? or i don't know, let's brainstorm !

EDIT : i wonder what should i do to convince my friends that the newly purchased C=Amiga is not an ordinary PC...

Last edited by nimrod7 on 08-Sep-2010 at 06:49 PM.
Last edited by nimrod7 on 08-Sep-2010 at 06:49 PM.

"Marxism must abhor nothing so much as the possibility that it becomes congealed in its current form. It is at its best when butting heads in self-criticism, and in historical thunder and lightning, it retains its strength" - Rosa Luxemburg.

warrenb 
Posted on 8-Sep-2010 19:39:05
#526 ]

@eXec

that is what commodore paid to tulip in 2004 for trademark and all the patents..who ere valid until 2014

Rob 
Posted on 8-Sep-2010 19:58:41
#527 ]
Elite Member

@nimrod7

Quote:
i suggest C=USA to bundle Deluxe Paint IV AGA and Final Copy disk images with the new Amiga models

That could be disastrous given their tendency to do first and resolve license issues later.

Daemon 
Posted on 8-Sep-2010 20:07:05
#528 ]

amazing how people just are willing to throw everything in the hands of people who has
already used pictures without permission, ripped apples describtions on computers, used trademarks as their own without even resolving the licensing first..

personally i see that as a warning sign, is this what commodore should be , stickers on ready made computers,

old REAL commodore died long time ago but just because someone has cash to spend and uses an already known trademark doesnt mean they are any kind of saviour.

praising a company that hasnt delivered anything..

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 8-Sep-2010 20:36:12
#529 ]

@Dandy

Quote:
Wutt??? I thought C= only has a license to brand the AIOs "Amiga"? Do you really plan to sell "Amiga"-branded desktops/towers?

That could probably be the 3rd brand they're talking about, unless the original deal gets expanded...

Last edited by WolfToTheMoon on 08-Sep-2010 at 08:36 PM.

eXec 
Posted on 8-Sep-2010 22:11:19
#530 ]
Cult Member

@Daemon

Some people are successful, some are not...
The one who was first to grab the Amiga and C= name, and
bundle it togeather on the wery same case, with present and top
actual hardware is a winner to me. It is not a problem of C= USA
that those "other" were not the first ones. Basically , the same thing
as in sports, faster is always the winner. I just don`t get it why has not
the Hyperion managed to grab the Amiga name first? It would cost
them now.... Aros will jump forward a huge distance...
If the C= Amiga thing goes good, Hyperion has no other choice but to
port OS4 to x86... I saw somewhere that someone predicted Intel inside
everything.... well, this looks like that ;)

Last edited by eXec on 08-Sep-2010 at 10:20 PM.

Leo 
Posted on 9-Sep-2010 8:36:21
#531 ]

Quote:

I just don`t get it why has not
the Hyperion managed to grab the Amiga name first?

Because, but I'm not really sure he he Hyperion have been sued by Amiga, Inc., the (supposed) owner of this trademark ? :)

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 16-Sep-2010 11:02:49
#532 ]

Hmm, starting to look more serious...

Quote:
Commodore USA Appoints Korey Kay

NEW YORK and FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla., Sept .15 /PRNewswire/ -- Commodore USA announced the selection of Korey Kay & Partners as its Agency of Record for Branding and Creative Development. Projected budget: $30 million. After a lengthy agency search, Commodore USA President and Chairman Barry Altman selected the New York based agency to create and produce integrated marketing programs for all Commodore USA brands, including Commodore and Amiga.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/commodore-usa-appoints-korey-kay-102977849.html

Leo 
Posted on 16-Sep-2010 11:08:10
#533 ]

@WolfToTheMoon

Marketing program for... what ? :) You need to have a product before even thinking about marketing.

Last time I heard, the only thing they had was some chinese all in one computer, and a stolen concept design picture of an Amiga-like all in one computer...

Nice joke :) Reminds me of Jim Collas' Amiga who contracted a company to work on some useless cases :)

Can't they let the Amiga requiesta in piece ? and stop trying to make waves out of its name ?

Last edited by Leo on 16-Sep-2010 at 11:11 AM.

phoenixkonsole 
Posted on 16-Sep-2010 11:14:14
#534 ]

hmmm....
do you know that you can buy already amiganoid PC's? They come with Kickstart and Workbench too (legal).... the only difference is the name.... + you know that there is progress being made. So you can "now" support them....

And if someone thinks that X1000 smells like Vapor.... hmm i could even touch it(=no vapor).... so what is something based on a years old rendering??

What i can say is that there are people allready really working (because they can) and they do it without money to buy a NAME. The opposite is someone who has money but has no possibility to bring something up. Well this sentences is not direct about C=USA.... they have still time to show something...

Best Regards

Last edited by phoenixkonsole on 16-Sep-2010 at 11:15 AM.

clusteruk 
Posted on 16-Sep-2010 12:05:12
#535 ]

@phoenixkonsole

Do not be concerned, if they market the Amiga massively we then have a market to introduce the Amiga Flavoured OS's in all flavours including its x86 flavour Aros and can ride that wave.

phoenixkonsole 
Posted on 16-Sep-2010 12:21:49
#536 ]

@clusteruk
Well i'm a bit pessimistic and have fear that they will harm....(like a i - point on the long list of bubble-boys but i will make a "salto mortale" (with my fingerboard) if you are rigth : )
Well they will harm only if there will be no real product. So if they show up with what they told us i will hug them. It is just feeling wired if you do 1 year all you can (a*** aufreißen) and ..... and then someone with money pays (much) for a Sticker....
mankind give the money to poeple with talent / visions / enthusiasm and AMIGA is back....
Or please talk to them at least!

eliyahu 
Posted on 16-Sep-2010 12:33:18
#537 ]

@WolfToTheMoon

Quote:
Commodore USA Appoints Korey Kay

NEW YORK and FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla., Sept .15 /PRNewswire/ -- Commodore USA announced the selection of Korey Kay & Partners as its Agency of Record for Branding and Creative Development. Projected budget: $30 million. After a lengthy agency search, Commodore USA President and Chairman Barry Altman selected the New York based agency to create and produce integrated marketing programs for all Commodore USA brands, including Commodore and Amiga.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/commodore-usa-appoints-korey-kay-102977849.html

now this is more like it. it certainly points to actual offerings in the pipeline. this is the first competent thing any of the non-announcements to date have actually pointed to. i am genuinely pleased to see things actually progressing in the right direction. in all sincerity: good luck to you, barry and leo.

i'm also staggered at the capitalization which is hinted at by the 'proposed budget' number included in the release. this suggests the resources to create something genuinely yours. hopefully we'll be hearing about the hiring of developers and engineers next, in addition to marketing. but given the debacle of your 'launch,' i can certainly understand the priorities -- and it seems the right call, at least from someone on the outside.

one other tip, though: you might want cybernet to acknowledge some relationship with you guys. their sales people -- multiple sales people -- swear they have no relationship with you whatever and they have no idea why their marketing images and manual would be copied by you. either they aren't in the loop or you guys are just buying these things retail from cybernet, slapping on your logo, and including an unauthorized copy of the cybernet manual with their copyright mysteriously reassigned to you. makes it look a bit, what was the word thom used? ah yes, shady. might want to get on this.

-- eliyahu

Last edited by eliyahu on 16-Sep-2010 at 01:41 PM.
Last edited by eliyahu on 16-Sep-2010 at 12:44 PM.
Last edited by eliyahu on 16-Sep-2010 at 12:43 PM.

BigBentheAussie 
Posted on 16-Sep-2010 12:55:05
#538 ]

Why must so many people assume that what they have seen will be all there will ever be?
Companies and products evolve, and as we're a start-up we are nimble enough to change directions completely if we need/want to.
Nothing is set in stone right now and everything can change, especially in the beginning.
We only got the trademarks a couple of weeks ago and we're not doing a real launch until next year. There is no rush. Next year is when we start.
I only post here on behalf of C=USA because I've been a member here for 7 years and lurked around for even longer. I don't care what you buy, I'm just a forum member, with an exciting project, and if you aren't as excited about it as I am, then I guess that's too bad.
How many posts have we all read over the years that dream about winning the lottery and buying the brand/s out? Well, sorry....I'm getting to live that dream, without even winning the lottery.
It's a real pity that I can no longer talk to the community about what we're doing because all I seem to get when I try to involve the community is grief. Oh well. Your loss.
I guess we'll take a leaf out of Hyperion's playbook and be super secretive from now on.

One of the first rules of a start-up is don't dawdle, get something out there and evolve your product/s iteratively. Otherwise you might never start. It is impossible, at this stage, for all things to come out fully realised. Rome was not built in a day.
The Phoenix was put out there to test if there was a market.
Now that we are satisfied that there is a market we feel confident in investing in new models and advertising.
For instance, we're not even 100% sure we're going to even continue with the Phoenix.
Maybe, maybe not, it depends on a number of factors.

The pieces are starting to come together.
The website is just a place-holder, there's a new one by a professional web company being worked on right now.
You may not like particular developments or agree with our strategy but there are reasons why things must be the way they are....So please, have some patience..or not.
If you get a kick out of incessantly belittling our efforts that says more about you than us.

bitman 
Posted on 16-Sep-2010 13:04:04
#539 ]
Cult Member

@BigBentheAussie

Quote:
and we're not doing a real launch until next year. There is no rush. Next year is when we start.

But the press release states this:

Quote:
Multi-media advertising for the brand, appearing primarily on national television, will be breaking in time for the holiday season.

So your gonna advertise for the brand without having any products at that time?

eliyahu 
Posted on 16-Sep-2010 13:06:35
#540 ]

@BigBentheAussie

Quote:
I only post here on behalf of C=USA because I've been a member here for 7 years and lurked around for even longer. I don't care what you buy, I'm just a forum member, with an exciting project, and if you aren't as excited about it as I am, then I guess that's too bad.
How many posts have we all read over the years that dream about winning the lottery and buying the brand/s out? Well, sorry....I'm getting to live that dream, without even winning the lottery.

let's be careful here. at the moment you have no product. you have a rebadged cybernet PC. now the PC64, on the other hand; if that ever comes to fruition, then, yes, i'd be interested in it. exciting? dunno -- but possibly....

Quote:
It's a real pity that I can no longer talk to the community about what we're doing because all I seem to get when I try to involve the community is grief. Oh well. Your loss.
I guess we'll take a leaf out of Hyperion's playbook and be super secretive from now on.

on the contrary, leo, it's a net gain for both of us. by refraining from posting about your business efforts, you keep off the radar screen until you have something to offer. then you return. if you turn out a good product and a successful company, i will be the first to 'switch over' and cheer you on. i think it is a very good idea to keep quiet until you have something to show. keeps the drama out of the picture, so to speak.

Quote:
For instance, we're not even 100% sure we're going to even continue with the Phoenix.
Maybe, maybe not, it depends on a number of factors.

if you do, would you please get the cybernet guys to quit saying they have no contact with you people? makes you guys look a bit bad, you know? especially with the find-and-replace manual for the 'phoenix.'

Quote:
You may not like particular developments or agree with our strategy but there are reasons why things must be the way they are....So please, have some patience..or not.
If you get a kick out of incessantly belittling our efforts that says more about you than us.

i don't think folks are getting a kick of it; well, maybe some of them. but we're tired of hearing talk. a little less talk and a little more action, please. you'll prove yourself one way or the other when you have a product that is yours. you seem insistent that such a product is in the works. good. but you cannot blame people for being skeptical given the behavior of your company's principals over the past two months. please stop posting platitudes such as 'rome wasn't built in a day' or lecturing us about startups. just leave the fora alone for a while until you have something to show. then we can get on barry's bandwagon or not based on product, and not a rebadged, off-the-shelf OEM PC and press releases.

is any of this making sense?

-- eliyahu

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle