Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
20 crawler(s) on-line.
 104 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 zipper:  17 mins ago
 matthey:  33 mins ago
 amigakit:  47 mins ago
 Hypex:  1 hr 12 mins ago
 1Mouse:  1 hr 21 mins ago
 Allanon:  1 hr 26 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 33 mins ago
 VooDoo:  1 hr 46 mins ago
 Mr_Capehill:  1 hr 51 mins ago
 outlawal2:  2 hrs 17 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Website feedback and suggestions
      /  [Poll] Commodore USA's Amigas and Amigaworld.net
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )
Poll : How should AW.net handle Commodore USA's Amigas?
Treat it as off-topic except in General Technology, Alt Amiga OS, & Free for all.
Create a new forum for Commodore USA Amigas.
Allow it to be discussed in Amiga general chat like any other Amiga (classic, AmigaOne etc).
Some other option (explain in a post).

PosterThread
WolfToTheMoon 
Re: [Poll] Commodore USA's Amigas and Amigaworld.net
Posted on 17-Oct-2010 22:40:29
#161 ]

@vox

Quote:
But then again, capitalism sais any competition is good, now when Mac is just IBM PC compatibile with MacOS X, this seems to be last real "difference" (different CPU, different OS).

Please... amiga os or any other amiga-like OS is not competition... it's a retro OS with a tiny community. And there are other OSes out there that also run on other hardware and have more and better features then any amiga-like os. So it is not last real "difference" after all...

Profile     Report this post  
H_Celine 
Posted on 17-Oct-2010 23:03:31
#162 ]

Well, what if Atari had bought the rights to the Amiga brand around 1989? And released the Atari 520STE only under the name Amiga 520STE, while Company X had bought the Amiga OS and Hardware rights and would release the A3000 only by the name X3000?
What would be the real Amiga then?? Would this place even exist as "amigaworld.net" then?
An x86 PC with Linux and/or Windows actually have less in common with an Amiga than the Atari 520STE had....
If it has NO attachment whatsoever to legacy Amiga technology I really do not see any reason it should be treated as one on Amiga forums.

I reject your reality,
and substitute my own.

vox 
Posted on 18-Oct-2010 0:11:08
#163 ]
Elite Member

@WolfToTheMoon

Oh I agree AmigaOS is yet not competitive, but isn`t that faraway as it was with AmigaOS 3.x competing to Windows NT. A lot of effort has been done, and your only fault is to ignore the progress.

Even PPC chips are last comparable to x86, ARM is even weaker. What saved the x86 was the competition among several chip producers that we benefit.

From x86 perspective both look bad, but you have to take story as separate.

Back in history PPC was developed to replace old 486 arhitecture and was supposed to be both Windows NT, MacOS X and OS/2 host hardware. However, this failed to materialize more then some version and simple betatesting for all but MacOS, which switched back to x86. So Amiga was late in PPC jump, but its good to be here, much better then if it remained 68k.

Like people say - its a PC - meaning a component system, too. Yes, dual core and newer Radeons have yet to come, but they will.

And no doubt X1000 and SAM 460 hosting Linux and AmigaOS can be both usable and user experience similar to the CBM USA Amiga that you see as revelation, as it will be low specs PC that Windows 7 and Office 2010 can eat in a day.

So, again, Amiga is survivor, this time in PPC camp.

ruben 
Posted on 18-Oct-2010 0:31:43
#164 ]

@number6

Quote:
How much traffic is AW getting presently vs Commodore USA?

This may give some info:

http://siteanalytics.compete.com/amigaworld.net+commodoreusa.net/

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 18-Oct-2010 0:40:38
#165 ]

@ruben

WOW!!! Nice find...

Some interesting details, if I'm reading this correctly...
The announcement/guessing game of X1000 in 12/2009-01/2010 generated less visitors for AW.net then C=USA actions in the months after....
Also, C=USA got almost 100 000 visitors in the month they announced Amigas and C64x...

So, yeah, no interest in x86 Amigas

number6 
Posted on 18-Oct-2010 0:50:52
#166 ]
Elite Member

@ruben

Thank you.

I'll let others interpret this.

Last edited by number6 on 18-Oct-2010 at 12:51 AM.

vox 
Posted on 18-Oct-2010 1:20:03
#167 ]
Elite Member

@number6

Its not traffic coming from one site to the other, as they are not interlinked,
so CBM USA website is not generating any traffic to AW.net as mentioned,
but CBM USA has more visitors, since they have made announcement to make
new CBM Amiga (that will not be CBM Amiga as people know it, but All-In-One PC running Linux, with option to buy Windows 7).

Announcement of new producting in public brings visitors.

However, we do not know of their opinion, since website is not very informative,
and announced product is not yet on sale. I have myself visited CBM USA couple of times over time from different computer and will do so to see "their progress"

vox 
Posted on 18-Oct-2010 1:49:36
#168 ]
Elite Member

@H_Celine

If you get to read comments on news like
http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/31/commodore-usa-to-relaunch-amiga-brand-with-series-of-aros-deskto/

You will see people (that mostly don`t know for AROS, MorphOS, Amiga OS 4)
believe its some kind of Amiga continuation, and are willing to buy it.
Name sounds proper.

Unless they make some AmiKit + OS 3.9 very nice remake, a lot of them will be dissapointed. As usual with shady advertising, but it`s good that real Amiga community is a bit used to it, is not a target to it. AROS is limited reacreation altough good and fast but then again they have to face AROS issues, and they do not want to stimulate its development.
http://www.lamerexterminator.com/35/commodore-usa-and-aros-its-not-a-love-story/

So against time, it will bring some profits, but we will see how long.

CBM USA is kind of continuation of Amiga Inc, and their last customer.
So good luck in this joint endeavour to NOT produce new Amiga.

Chuckt 
Posted on 18-Oct-2010 2:56:16
#169 ]

@terminills

Quote:

terminills wrote:
@rebraist

That would be counter productive ... even if CommodoreUsa Doesn't give a dime to Aros ... If we gain 500 users because of CommodoreUsa that's more Users that could donate to Aros bounties etc.

Unless it is made by Microsoft, why would they care?

vrana 
Posted on 18-Oct-2010 3:01:02
#170 ]

@vox

Quote:

vox wrote:
@H_Celine

If you get to read comments on news like
http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/31/commodore-usa-to-relaunch-amiga-brand-with-series-of-aros-deskto/

You will see people (that mostly don`t know for AROS, MorphOS, Amiga OS 4)
believe its some kind of Amiga continuation, and are willing to buy it.
Name sounds proper.

I think that is part of the problem which has people a bit upset. I work in the IT field and a number of people I work with have seen things like the slashdot announcement and they do not realise that the 'x86 Commodore Amiga' doesn;t really have anything to do with past or present Amiga or Amiga like OS's and ask me since they know I have some Amiga's if I am excited because the Amiga is back! :P These are people who work with computers for a living and most of them have no clue about the Amiga except for the name.

Then you also get posts like this one from another forum http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=54807 which ties in with the confussion aspect a few people have already mentioned and I think is another area where people are getting a bit frustrated/upset with.

terminills 
Posted on 18-Oct-2010 3:16:24
#171 ]
AROS Core Developer

@Chuckt

I wasn't talking about the majority of CUSA's customers ... I was talking the few users who may be interested in an amiga like OS.

So as I said if we gain 500 users what's the harm. =]

"AROS is prolly illegal ~ Evert Carton" intentionally quoted out of context for dramatic effect

Chuckt 
Posted on 18-Oct-2010 3:49:38
#172 ]

@terminills

Quote:

terminills wrote:
@Chuckt

I wasn't talking about the majority of CUSA's customers ... I was talking the few users who may be interested in an amiga like OS.

So as I said if we gain 500 users what's the harm. =]

What you really need to do is run a poll asking how many Amiga users are deeply into their PCs without running Amiga like operating systems and then you will see how much support there is for Commodore USA. How many of you want to buy one?

I have an Amiga 500 which isn't working. I had an Amax II with it. I ran them for ten years and the internal drive stopped working and the monitor died. I sent the monitor out and the company that was supposed to fix it and wanted to charge me $60 for not fixing it. I bought a used monitor and I saw smoke come out of it after using it a while.

I use a DELL for word processing, picture keeping and surfing the internet.

I like the old philosophy of computers that the original Commodore built. I probably should have switched to Atari when Jack bought Atari. I probably would have been happier.

I'm not really interested in Microsoft, IBM or the X86. I'm into microcontrollers and other processors because I won't appreciate it unless I build it. I have several possible designs for micro computers that I will find more interesting than special cases from Commodore USA or whatever they can do for me.

I keep Amiga around thinking that someone will do something with the technology. I might buy a Natami or a Minimig but that will be the end of Amiga for me unless there is new Amiga (non 86) hardware and that includes the new company with X86 hardware.

What Commodore USA needs to do is a new hardware design that is unique for me to even consider them. I'll buy another cheap $300 throwaway Dell before I buy a PC from Commodore USA because of price. The barrier of buying a Commodore USA computer is that X86 hardware isn't compatible with the 68000 or 6510 so therefore it isn't a Commodore or Amiga to me and I'm willing to put the past to rest and have closure without the Commodore / Amiga brands.

So whatever you want to do. Whatever you think is best for the community. I would see what similarities or what benefits you can offer each other but there has not been anything here that has been offered to Amiga users that I would stay around for. Let Commodore USA make the first offer and don't budge beforehand. I plan to be respectful; I'll stay around for possible sales, possible Amiga 500, or other support and then I will leave. Others who left the Commodore platform think that people like me are beating a dead horse and it is my opinion that it pretty much is.

Last edited by Chuckt on 18-Oct-2010 at 03:50 AM.

eniacfoa 
Posted on 18-Oct-2010 7:58:14
#173 ]

@_Steve_

Quote:

_Steve_ wrote:
@number6

Worst case is having another sub topic area just for that. If it runs AROS though, as others have said it should then go in the Alt-OS area.

@Wizzard_o

That Research OS is based on the 3.0/3.1 APIs and so has its roots firmly entrenched in the Amiga world. Besides that, the code written to create it was then incorporated into various parts of the updates TO the ofiicial Amiga OS releases (3.5/3.9). It may not be an Amiga (classic sense) or binary compatible (as it isn't an emulator like WinUAE), but it maintains a source level compatibility through the API.

As such, (and given there are even ports of AROS for 3.x machines anyway), it deserves a place on the site irrespective of how some people see it.

yeah boiiiiii!!!!

http://ozconspiracyhouse.myfastforum.org

nimrod7 
Posted on 18-Oct-2010 8:06:39
#174 ]

@ruben

Quote:

http://siteanalytics.compete.com/amigaworld.net+commodoreusa.net/

what's the point comparing these two sites ? how about a-eon site ?

"Marxism must abhor nothing so much as the possibility that it becomes congealed in its current form. It is at its best when butting heads in self-criticism, and in historical thunder and lightning, it retains its strength" - Rosa Luxemburg.

eniacfoa 
Posted on 18-Oct-2010 8:19:33
#175 ]

@BillE

Quote:

BillE wrote:
@BigBentheAussie

Quote:
WE ARE AMIGA NOW!

That is just not true. You bought a name.

You do not make Amigas but poor quality PCs that no one is interested in. There is no way that what you produce can be an Amiga, it simply isn't.

Would you buy a flock of sheep and market it as venison ?

I am sorry but just because some lawyer has sold you a name, it does not mean that you produce the actual product.

and what did bill mcewen buy? his A1's were cheap ppc garbage - practically every pc built is far more reliable than that...why is hyperions AOS so much more amiga than AROS? its not really. They are both amiga-like. I dont see bill mcewens crap as any more amiga than AROS. probably less so actually. People just wanna rag on x86 like its 1987 again. Get over it. Any real amiga computer now would be x86. Any successful commodore computer company now would be x86 - including if the original cbm hadnt gone bankrupt...I can only hope that in the not too distant future c=usa throw a little cash AROS's way...

PPC = 'FAIL' as the kiddies say today...I dont recall ever owning a CBM PPC amiga either hmmm...

http://ozconspiracyhouse.myfastforum.org

pavlor 
Posted on 18-Oct-2010 8:33:49
#176 ]
Elite Member

@eniacfoa

Quote:
why is hyperions AOS so much more amiga than AROS? its not really. They are both amiga-like. I dont see bill mcewens crap as any more amiga than AROS.

Oh no, not again...

See AmigaOS Twenty-Five for more info.

cha05e90 
Posted on 18-Oct-2010 9:05:32
#177 ]

@eniacfoa
Quote:
why is hyperions AOS so much more amiga than AROS? its not really.

Of course you are a long time AmigaOS3.1-, 3.5-, 3.9-, 4.0-, 4.1-User (OS3.1/4.1 as a minimum) who has in parallel used AROS since it's beginnings, aren't you? If not, I strongly doubt your competence in this regards.

DAX 
Posted on 18-Oct-2010 10:27:57
#178 ]
Elite Member

@eniacfoa
Read Olaf Barthel interview (or ask Olsen) and do realize AmigaOS 4 IS the one and OLD Amiga OS running on PPC (binary compatibility included) which still has lines of code commented by the original team in its source (and with the main OS guy of the original team porting his work to it by the way).
Aros is a built from scratch clone. Nothing bad about it, just one is the the Amiga Operating System, others are just clones, live with with that, as I said there is nothing bad about it.

paolone 
Posted on 18-Oct-2010 10:47:47
#179 ]

@DAX

Quote:
Read Olaf Barthel interview (or ask Olsen) and do realize AmigaOS 4 IS the one and OLD Amiga OS running on PPC (binary compatibility included) which still has lines of code commented by the original team in its source (and with the main OS guy of the original team porting his work to it by the way).

And, by the way, this is both the best advantage and the worst enemy of AmigaOS codebase itself. Among the other things, I read in Olaf's words that porting it to other, little-endian architectures would be extremely difficult. Hyperion would just meet exactly the same problems the AROS team had to resolve from day 1. As you can see, being clones is not only "nothing bad", but maybe better.

cha05e90 
Posted on 18-Oct-2010 10:54:09
#180 ]

@paolone

This is what I never understood in regards of "API compabilty" in AROS: You have to handle all those byte order fixed external data structures as well - not an easy task. And what to do with output of data? This is not a single problem for AmigaOS - other platforms have/had similar occasions: I suppose a lot of people can still remember that 'ol-days "TIFF desaster" - was it an "Intel-TIFF or an "Mac-TIFF"...

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle