Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
23 crawler(s) on-line.
 145 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

kolla

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 kolla:  2 mins ago
 amigakit:  23 mins ago
 Rob:  38 mins ago
 Tuxedo:  1 hr 8 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 12 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 15 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  1 hr 17 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 36 mins ago
 RobertB:  2 hrs 54 mins ago
 pavlor:  3 hrs 27 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Website feedback and suggestions
      /  [Poll] Commodore USA's Amigas and Amigaworld.net
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )
Poll : How should AW.net handle Commodore USA's Amigas?
Treat it as off-topic except in General Technology, Alt Amiga OS, & Free for all.
Create a new forum for Commodore USA Amigas.
Allow it to be discussed in Amiga general chat like any other Amiga (classic, AmigaOne etc).
Some other option (explain in a post).

PosterThread
Hammer 
Re: [Poll] Commodore USA's Amigas and Amigaworld.net
Posted on 18-Oct-2010 11:33:09
#181 ]
Elite Member

@cha05e90

Quote:

cha05e90 wrote:
@paolone

This is what I never understood in regards of "API compabilty" in AROS: You have to handle all those byte order fixed external data structures as well - not an easy task. And what to do with output of data? This is not a single problem for AmigaOS - other platforms have/had similar occasions: I suppose a lot of people can still remember that 'ol-days "TIFF desaster" - was it an "Intel-TIFF or an "Mac-TIFF"...

Refer to http://emumiga.com/about/

Quote:

Emumiga is a Motorola MC68000 emulator and a system interface proxy for AROS. Our goal is to run AmigaOS 3.x applications directly in AROS without emulating the Amiga chipset and without a copyrighted Amiga ROM image. These two things are what separates it from the noble effort of integrating UAE into AROS.

http://emumiga.com/images/dir_091130.png
AmigaOS 68k's DIR command running directly on AROS X86.

Last edited by Hammer on 18-Oct-2010 at 11:38 AM.
Last edited by Hammer on 18-Oct-2010 at 11:34 AM.

Profile     Report this post  
WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 18-Oct-2010 11:41:04
#182 ]

@nimrod7

Quote:
what's the point comparing these two sites ? how about a-eon site ?

http://siteanalytics.compete.com/amigaworld.net+commodoreusa.net+a-eon.com/

As you can see, the X1000 probably failed to attract bigger numbers of outsiders judging by the numbers.

Fransexy 
Posted on 18-Oct-2010 11:46:50
#183 ]
Elite Member

@paolone

Quote:

paolone wrote:
@Shufflepuck

Quote:
As much as I am "platform agnostic" these (eventual) AmigaPCs are somewhat a slap in the face for community members who breathed and lived the Amiga soap opera of the past 10+ years but I understand there might be a market for these

Perfect. So a company which hopes to sell thousands (in order of 100,000+) exemplars of their "replicas" should stop their plans only to respect the feelings of a few hundreds of people? I'm sorry to say this, but Barry Altman and C=USA just saw a business opportunity and caught it: maybe those few hundreds should get back to reality, shouldn't them?

15+ years of progressive shrinking of this community, and perpetual lack of competitive products weren't enough to prove them being wrong?

15 years maintaining a pattaform alive without big players help is not wrong in my diccionary.

I bet CUSA will have the same destiny as Acorn computers (2006 company*). They did the same as commodore want to do, put a recognisable brand on standard Windows PC. The ironical thing is that this company is dissolved but the OS (RISCOS) and the custom boards to run RiscOs (the ones that acorn computers 2006 ignored) are alive. Yes, in the same tiny market as we are, but alive after all

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acorn_Computers_%282006%29

Last edited by Fransexy on 18-Oct-2010 at 11:51 AM.

Hammer 
Posted on 18-Oct-2010 11:48:45
#184 ]
Elite Member

@vox

Quote:

vox wrote:
@WolfToTheMoon

Oh I agree AmigaOS is yet not competitive, but isn`t that faraway as it was with AmigaOS 3.x competing to Windows NT. A lot of effort has been done, and your only fault is to ignore the progress.

Even PPC chips are last comparable to x86, ARM is even weaker. What saved the x86 was the competition among several chip producers that we benefit.

From x86 perspective both look bad, but you have to take story as separate.

Back in history PPC was developed to replace old 486 arhitecture and was supposed to be both Windows NT, MacOS X and OS/2 host hardware. However, this failed to materialize more then some version and simple betatesting for all but MacOS, which switched back to x86. So Amiga was late in PPC jump, but its good to be here, much better then if it remained 68k.

Like people say - its a PC - meaning a component system, too. Yes, dual core and newer Radeons have yet to come, but they will.

And no doubt X1000 and SAM 460 hosting Linux and AmigaOS can be both usable and user experience similar to the CBM USA Amiga that you see as revelation, as it will be low specs PC that Windows 7 and Office 2010 can eat in a day.

So, again, Amiga is survivor, this time in PPC camp.

Advanced Computing Environment (ACE)'s MIPS and Alpha was the migration path.

Refer to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Computing_Environment

The Advanced Computing Environment (ACE) was defined by an industry consortium in the early 1990s to be the next generation commodity computing platform, the successor to personal computers based on Intel's 32-bit instruction set architecture
The consortium was announced on April 9, 1991 by Compaq, Microsoft, MIPS Computer Systems, Digital Equipment Corporation, and the Santa Cruz Operation.[1] [2]

Other members of the consortium included Acer, Control Data Corporation, Kubota, NEC Corporation, NKK, Olivetti, Prime Computer, Pyramid Technology, Siemens, Silicon Graphics, Sony, Sumitomo, Tandem, Wang Laboratories, and Zenith Data Systems

The arrival of Intel Pentium Pro (P6) reduced the need to move towards "RISC" processors.

Last edited by Hammer on 18-Oct-2010 at 11:49 AM.

Hammer 
Posted on 18-Oct-2010 11:56:40
#185 ]
Elite Member

@vox

Quote:

vox wrote:
@H_Celine

If you get to read comments on news like
http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/31/commodore-usa-to-relaunch-amiga-brand-with-series-of-aros-deskto/

You will see people (that mostly don`t know for AROS, MorphOS, Amiga OS 4)
believe its some kind of Amiga continuation, and are willing to buy it.
Name sounds proper.

Unless they make some AmiKit + OS 3.9 very nice remake, a lot of them will be dissapointed. As usual with shady advertising, but it`s good that real Amiga community is a bit used to it, is not a target to it. AROS is limited reacreation altough good and fast but then again they have to face AROS issues, and they do not want to stimulate its development.
http://www.lamerexterminator.com/35/commodore-usa-and-aros-its-not-a-love-story/

So against time, it will bring some profits, but we will see how long.

CBM USA is kind of continuation of Amiga Inc, and their last customer.
(SNIP)

Not much different to Eyetech's pre-AmigaOS 4.X LinuxPPC installed AmigaOne SE.

Hammer 
Posted on 18-Oct-2010 12:10:07
#186 ]
Elite Member

@Chuckt

Quote:

Chuckt wrote:
@terminills

Quote:

terminills wrote:
@Chuckt

I wasn't talking about the majority of CUSA's customers ... I was talking the few users who may be interested in an amiga like OS.

So as I said if we gain 500 users what's the harm. =]

What you really need to do is run a poll asking how many Amiga users are deeply into their PCs without running Amiga like operating systems and then you will see how much support there is for Commodore USA. How many of you want to buy one?

I have an Amiga 500 which isn't working. I had an Amax II with it. I ran them for ten years and the internal drive stopped working and the monitor died. I sent the monitor out and the company that was supposed to fix it and wanted to charge me $60 for not fixing it. I bought a used monitor and I saw smoke come out of it after using it a while.

I use a DELL for word processing, picture keeping and surfing the internet.

I like the old philosophy of computers that the original Commodore built. I probably should have switched to Atari when Jack bought Atari. I probably would have been happier.

I'm not really interested in Microsoft, IBM or the X86. I'm into microcontrollers and other processors because I won't appreciate it unless I build it. I have several possible designs for micro computers that I will find more interesting than special cases from Commodore USA or whatever they can do for me.

I keep Amiga around thinking that someone will do something with the technology. I might buy a Natami or a Minimig but that will be the end of Amiga for me unless there is new Amiga (non 86) hardware and that includes the new company with X86 hardware.

What Commodore USA needs to do is a new hardware design that is unique for me to even consider them. I'll buy another cheap $300 throwaway Dell before I buy a PC from Commodore USA because of price. The barrier of buying a Commodore USA computer is that X86 hardware isn't compatible with the 68000 or 6510 so therefore it isn't a Commodore or Amiga to me and I'm willing to put the past to rest and have closure without the Commodore / Amiga brands.

(SNIP)

"Meet the Commodore Family" from the original CBM...
http://www.commodore.ca/gallery/brochures/commodore-family-c64-c128-pc10-pc20-pc40-amiga.jpg

Last edited by Hammer on 18-Oct-2010 at 12:14 PM.
Last edited by Hammer on 18-Oct-2010 at 12:11 PM.

paolone 
Posted on 18-Oct-2010 14:11:26
#187 ]

@Fransexy

Quote:
15 years maintaining a pattaform alive without big players help is not wrong in my diccionary.

It depends. What do you mean with "alive"?

There are many fellow fans of the old cheer Commodore 64, who brought modern interfaces and operating systems (Lunix, conticki, ecc), not talking about homebrew games and demos, until today. But this doesn't make the Commodore 64 less dead than it is.

Alive in a microscopic, miniaturized community of survivors like ours is not "alive" to me, whereas Linux, Windows and MacOS X are. An "alive" platform goes outside the hobby market and attracts big players, convincing them to sell their software to users in order to gain money. So no, Amiga is not alive but it gives the illusion it is to a little crown of people.

Amiga is alive for us, it's alive for the AmigaOS/MorphOS and AROS people, but we have to deal with a hard, cold reality, where far bigger numbers have won. We can go on this road as we want, we can try to perpetuate our little ancient world of .info files and dos assigns, but we can't deny that users of other plafroms live better. And for many many years now.

persia 
Posted on 18-Oct-2010 14:41:32
#188 ]

@Hammer

I'd consider buying C=USAs PC64 for giggles if it came in around AU/US $300 or so. I do have a weakness for well-done kitsch.

Fransexy 
Posted on 18-Oct-2010 14:45:04
#189 ]
Elite Member

@paolone

Quote:

paolone wrote:
@Fransexy

Quote:

It depends. What do you mean with "alive"?

There are many fellow fans of the old cheer Commodore 64, who brought modern interfaces and operating systems (Lunix, conticki, ecc), not talking about homebrew games and demos, until today. But this doesn't make the Commodore 64 less dead than it is.

Alive in a microscopic, miniaturized community of survivors like ours is not "alive" to me, whereas Linux, Windows and MacOS X are. An "alive" platform goes outside the hobby market and attracts big players, convincing them to sell their software to users in order to gain money. So no, Amiga is not alive but it gives the illusion it is to a little crown of people.

Amiga is alive for us, it's alive for the AmigaOS/MorphOS and AROS people, but we have to deal with a hard, cold reality, where far bigger numbers have won. We can go on this road as we want, we can try to perpetuate our little ancient world of .info files and dos assigns, but we can't deny that users of other plafroms live better. And for many many years now.

You deliberately ignored the second part of my post, isn't you? is better that than disappear.As in the example of Acorn (the 2006 company), others than tried failed miserably while the original project althroug slowly continues to develop

Commodore64 is not a good example because there are no new commodore64 hardware avaliable (except fpga implementations of the *original* hardware) not the original OS (c64 basic) is being actualized

by your reasoning then there are a lot of technologies that are dead because is not know outside their small and specialized environment (example very especialized military, scientific, medical...... tools)

elatour 
Posted on 18-Oct-2010 16:07:10
#190 ]
Cult Member

@thread

I find it quite amusing that there is such a crisis about this C=USA topic when I'm sure that no such crisis existed when the Amiga PPC Linux forum was discussed, created and intruced on AW.NET, which is amusing, because the only thing even remotely Amiga about this was that it ran on Eyetech's AmigaOne and MicroA1 systems, or does that also now include all other PPC boards which are not even Amiga branded but run AOS4 as well?

Last edited by elatour on 18-Oct-2010 at 06:20 PM.

elatour 
Posted on 18-Oct-2010 16:31:17
#191 ]
Cult Member

@_Steve_

Quote:
Even if I were to create two separate places for MorphOS and AROS right now, I doubt it would solve the in-fighting that still takes place in other threads unrelated to them - that is sadly human nature.

I agree with you there. People that want to cause a disturbance will always try to continue to do so. However, more focussed forums might help make moderators' lives a bit easier in that detecting and dealing with frequent hijacking of threads by the usual suspects of posts that were clearly in different topic areas from the direction that some were clearly and deliberately steering the conversation in. And perhaps in addition to this, the solution to this is to no longer have new/recently contributed to discussion forum posts displayed on the front page at all, or at least so prominently disaplayed, and instead focus on news items, thereby removing the temptation to add their disaproving one liner comment to topics they clearly have no interest in, but would nevertheless like to derail. Constantly hijacking posts in other topic discussion forums would clearly indicate the people that are more interested in throwing cow dung at others than actually discussing a topic of interest, at least IMHO. It would force people to be more selective about what they read and the discussions they participate in. Troublesome users would have to seek out the forums they clearly want to derail, and it would make them stick out more by the simple fact that they did this. Anyway, just my two cents on this.

elatour 
Posted on 18-Oct-2010 16:35:06
#192 ]
Cult Member

@paolone

Quote:
So yes, it will be a time for confusion. But a solution will be necessary, and closing doors or badly treating people that could easily become "the majority" in few months, is extremely short-sighted.

Could not agree more with this.

elatour 
Posted on 18-Oct-2010 16:36:14
#193 ]
Cult Member

@clusteruk

Quote:
Agreed

If we get people from sales of C=USA sales arriving they should be welcomed and then convinced that using Aros, (which is there only choice) will be fun. It could be the start of something good and I for one look forward to there arrival as long as they do not ask for Windows or Ubuntu advice

This is a chance to spread the Amiga philosophy and way of computing.

I could not agree more.

elatour 
Posted on 18-Oct-2010 16:38:49
#194 ]
Cult Member

@ruben

Quote:
The definition of "Amiga" must be broad, petty intra-community discussions about "The True Amiga" must end.

+1!!!

persia 
Posted on 18-Oct-2010 16:44:33
#195 ]

@elatour

I tend to agree, the worst C=USA can do for the community is nothing, at best they can get the name on people's tongues again. Say they did bring 500 more users to AmigaOS type systems, that would be huge!

elatour 
Posted on 18-Oct-2010 17:01:31
#196 ]
Cult Member

@Wizzard_o

Quote:
Instead of just badge-engineering other manufacturer's PC's why not invest in REAL Amiga Technology and build an OS4 capable (Power PC) machine?

Because the words "invest" and "PPC hardware that runs OS4" just don't go together to form any business sense anymore, for C=USA and for many others. I can't say that I blame them either. Look at Eyetech and others that have done so, they're hardly flush with cash from AOS4 targetted systems, and that's not likely to change any time soon, but I'd love to be proved wrong there.

ssolie 
Posted on 18-Oct-2010 17:05:05
#197 ]
Elite Member

@fairlanefastback
In all honesty, if C-USA hits the numbers they require the users will number in the tens of thousands and I doubt they will care about this tiny web site nor its current inhabitants.

In the mean time, just treat it like any other AROS box.

elatour 
Posted on 18-Oct-2010 17:58:15
#198 ]
Cult Member

@NathanH

Quote:
As such, I expect the content posted in a Commodore USA forum on this enthusiast site to be similar to that in other forums; how to advance "Amiga" in whole but from a differing perspective of what "Amiga" means to that person. Especially in their beginning I think that it is in everyone's interest to have a place to discuss their gameplan and how we can mutually benefit each other.

+1

Fransexy 
Posted on 18-Oct-2010 18:12:57
#199 ]
Elite Member

@elatour

Quote:

elatour wrote:
@Wizzard_o

Quote:
Instead of just badge-engineering other manufacturer's PC's why not invest in REAL Amiga Technology and build an OS4 capable (Power PC) machine?

Because the words "invest" and "PPC hardware that runs OS4" just don't go together to form any business sense anymore, for C=USA and for many others. I can't say that I blame them either. Look at Eyetech and others that have done so, they're hardly flush with cash from AOS4 targetted systems, and that's not likely to change any time soon, but I'd love to be proved wrong there.

Acorn computers (2006 company) also thought that bussines sense was to put the brand on a X86 machines instead of invest in ARM computers running RiscOS.Do you know what? the 2006 Acorn computers have disappear whereas RiscOS and their custom ARM based machines are still between us

Last edited by Fransexy on 18-Oct-2010 at 06:14 PM.
Last edited by Fransexy on 18-Oct-2010 at 06:14 PM.

cha05e90 
Posted on 18-Oct-2010 18:24:12
#200 ]

@Fransexy

Yes. Maybe I will someday replace my Acorn RiscPC 600 with a nice BeagleBoard based equipment...

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle