Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
18 crawler(s) on-line.
 137 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  35 mins ago
 Hammer:  1 hr 25 mins ago
 Rob:  2 hrs 3 mins ago
 billt:  2 hrs 11 mins ago
 amigang:  2 hrs 22 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  2 hrs 24 mins ago
 agami:  2 hrs 48 mins ago
 matthey:  2 hrs 54 mins ago
 kolla:  3 hrs 1 min ago
 Tuxedo:  4 hrs 10 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Website feedback and suggestions
      /  [Poll] Commodore USA's Amigas and Amigaworld.net
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 )
Poll : How should AW.net handle Commodore USA's Amigas?
Treat it as off-topic except in General Technology, Alt Amiga OS, & Free for all.
Create a new forum for Commodore USA Amigas.
Allow it to be discussed in Amiga general chat like any other Amiga (classic, AmigaOne etc).
Some other option (explain in a post).

PosterThread
number6 
Re: [Poll] Commodore USA's Amigas and Amigaworld.net
Posted on 21-Oct-2010 19:50:19
#341 ]
Elite Member

@marko

Quote:
So where are you from anyway, Australia?

Since this show is in PDT which is 3 hours behind east coast, It's probably the Europeans who will have the most difficulty arranging their waking hours to view the real time streams.
Fortunately the goal is still to record all of this, so nothing will go unseen by those who wish to view it.

Profile     Report this post  
Snuffy 
Posted on 21-Oct-2010 23:14:30
#342 ]

Hi @cha05e90
#314 If there will some day be a real buyable "chinese-x86-Amiga" from "CommodoreUSA..."
Rick Snyder is running for governor of Michigan this November 2. He was in charge of Gateway when it sold to the Chinese. A lot of Amiga stuff went with Gateway. So, your idea of a real products is not that far-off the mark!! If Gateway would have attempted some Amiga products, maybe they wouldn't have gone bust!

vox 
Posted on 22-Oct-2010 1:33:43
#343 ]
Elite Member

@WolfToTheMoon

Nice approach to Apple community, however Amiga was ment to go PowerPC and PowerPC went dead ended because no one but Apple supported it (thus, making x86 transition by big company that could make a OS rewrite to x86 and include PowerPC emulator).

About your remeraks: All triple approaches taken (MOS, OS4,AROS) are continuation and made a living substance +UAE for emulation and has made Amiga talkable in 21st century. Lots of discredit for company that has done very little (at this moment bought the licences for Commodore and Amiga names).

However, all you promises sound nice, even the design of CUSA Amiga is not finished and confusion with marketing it as Commodore Amiga (and not as Commodore USA Amiga that it is) is already great. We ll talk more when
a) machine is complete and comparable
b) We see your way of thinking x86 AmigaOS that is not simply using AROS
At this time, CUSA website doesn`t mention AROS or anything Amiga related but old CBM Amiga logo (Classic trademark, replaced by Boing Bag) and DreamAmiga design (without any contact or respect to original author that wanted this case to be for PPC AmigaNGs)

At this moment, ACube SAM EP440/460 and even X1000 are more real then CUSA Amiga. They are demonstrated, tested and SAM`s are on sale.

Also, trying to undermine peoples desire to continue using MOS, OS4 and even AROS
is bad and sad. The way you handled the OS.news saying "its bad timing", "creating confusion in real Amiga world" and AROS community request
for your aid in developing OS for your CUSA Amiga, is glorious and to be remembered.

No, Acube or Hyperion are not cheritish but they delivered their products from scracth and did not just purchased the fancy names and then started preaching as new cult. What they have made is that AmigaOS actually developed (also MOS and AROS teams). All you did is fancy talk and triple boot demo so far.

As I said before, I call all AW.net users to simply stop discussing your "arguments"
as at the moment you are just a "chatty chatty mouth". Wihout respect for people who actually did something. And not to mention that you have got a licence from a dubious company AmigaInc that I hope someone will investigate one day in USA
in probably their desparate try to earn something. All they needed is you, but we don`t as we know we can run AROS and Linux on x86. Who wants the case can buy it if you make it good and put to a separate sale (which you are not announcing).

Good look, and I am just hoping for all those Amiga lovers you gonna get to ask you about your product, once is out. See you in 10 years, and I hope someone will purchase the name for exhausted company. Or a millionaire, like Bill did a great deal with taking percent of each DOS instead of selling it to IBM?

Amiga name is in your hands, but not those "traditional" users that were interested in further development even when CBM is dead. And now with CUSA, names are ressurected, both "failures" as you say.

vox 
Posted on 22-Oct-2010 1:42:08
#344 ]
Elite Member

@vox

Also I believe you should read the Amiga Inc mambo jumbo, since its heavily dependent to your copyright ownerships.

http://sites.google.com/site/freeamiga

vox 
Posted on 22-Oct-2010 8:17:17
#345 ]
Elite Member

@vox

I am not a conspiracy thepry master, but I was able to see
that even their Commodore name licence is dubious ...

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/12/commodore-gaming-disavows-commodore-usa-and-its-decals/

Commodore Gaming disavows Commodore USA (and its decals)
By Joseph L. Flatley posted Apr 12th 2010 6:18PM

Remember back in March, when Commodore USA CEO and longtime Commodore user Barry Altman excitedly told us about how he'd spent "the better part of a year" untangling the red tape, finally getting the rights to the Commodore name? As far as we are able to tell, Yeahronimo Media Ventures acquired the rights to the Commodore brand back in 2004, when it changed its name to Commodore International Corporation. Among its many projects are a joint venture with Amsterdam's Content Factory called -- you guessed it! -- Commodore Gaming. Today we received an email from Commodore Gaming's Global Product Manager Taco van Sambeek, informing us that Commodore USA has not been granted a license to use the Commodore name, and that "Commodore USA Ltd. has no legal rights to be using the Commodore trademark." When we went back to the old Commodore USA site, we found a few updates, including this line in the fine print:
Commodore trademark logo used pending licensing rights, used above for illustrative purposes only.
In case you're curious, the company has also started shipping its "barebones and configured systems" (also known as the Cybernet all-in-one PC). But there's a catch! Your purchase, according to the site, "will not be branded with the Commodore logo or markings. These self-adhesive logo label plates will be shipped to you at no charge when they are available." Thanks for clearing that up. Now, if you'll excuse us, we have to go order some Silicon Graphics decals to put on our Toshiba Satellite laptop.

Hammer 
Posted on 22-Oct-2010 10:58:28
#346 ]
Elite Member

@vox

Commodore® trademark used under exclusive worldwide license by Commodore USA, LLC for its line of AIO (All-In-One) keyboard computers, and is the trademark of Commodore Licensing, BV, registered in the United States and other countries. Amiga® trademark used under exclusive worldwide license by Commodore USA, LLC for its line of AIO (All-In-One) keyboard computers, and is the trademark of Amiga Inc., registered in the United States and other countries
-------------
http://www.commodorecorp.com/News-center.html

Friday Sept. 24, 2010,

NEW YORK, NY – September 24, 2010 – Asiarim Corporation (OTCQB Symbol: ARMC) (“Asiarim”) announces that its subsidiary, Commodore Licensing B.V. (“Commodore”) in the Netherlands has entered into a Trademark Licensing Agreement for Build-in Keyboard Computer with Commodore USA, LLC, (“Licensee”), an independent third party unrelated to Asiarim and any members of Asiarim

More info from http://www.marketwire.com/mw/rel_us_print.jsp?id=1324494
------------
Asiarim's homepage from http://www.asiarim.net/

Last edited by Hammer on 22-Oct-2010 at 11:08 AM.
Last edited by Hammer on 22-Oct-2010 at 11:04 AM.
Last edited by Hammer on 22-Oct-2010 at 11:03 AM.

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 22-Oct-2010 11:06:00
#347 ]

@Hammer

leave it be... Some people just cannot be talked with reasonably. Those of us who followed C=USA's business for the past 2 or 3 months are well aware of what happend with Commodore trademark and also how it ended.

It seems vox, with a few other members here, is on a mission against C=USA, mind you, without knowing ANYTHING about their plans.

I wish we would all refrain from further posting on this matter until things are clearer.

Hammer 
Posted on 22-Oct-2010 11:15:39
#348 ]
Elite Member

@WolfToTheMoon

Just follow http://www.commodorecorp.com/announcements.html

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 22-Oct-2010 11:16:57
#349 ]

@Hammer

Yeah, I did, a long time ago.

vox 
Posted on 22-Oct-2010 11:23:40
#350 ]
Elite Member

@WolfToTheMoon

I just know what is publicly announced and that is:

a) no final product yet
b) change od product name (Amino, Commodore Amiga)
c) Obvious confusion created by using exact name as Amiga Classic line
d) Dubious changes in list of OS`s from many to just one Ubuntu
e) Only case design presented is other peoples design without paying hommage or copyright
f) Problems with copyright of CBM name, as well as Amiga Inc that transfered trademark had a solvency and other problems in the past
e) Discrispect in communication to existing Amiga community and products
and agressive propaganda of not yet existing hardware and not planned software

Call it a crusade, but I call it result of CBM USA actions. Signature explains it best.

However, today is Amiwest day, come back with something for sale.

Meanwhile recommendations for all interested in AROS and WinUAE is AresOne,
clean and powerful design that just hasn`t got fancy name and propaganda
http://www.vesalia.de/d_aresone2010.htm

All as One

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 22-Oct-2010 11:30:18
#351 ]

@vox

Like I said, I'll keep my mouth shut until further details are revealed.
Then we will see just what is what and I do believe that most of the current amiga community will be well pleased

Hammer 
Posted on 22-Oct-2010 11:32:41
#352 ]
Elite Member

@vox

Quote:

vox wrote:
@WolfToTheMoon

I just know what is publicly announced and that is:

a) no final product yet
b) change od product name (Amino, Commodore Amiga)
c) Obvious confusion created by using exact name as Amiga Classic line
d) Dubious changes in list of OS`s from many to just one Ubuntu
e) Only case design presented is other peoples design without paying hommage or copyright
f) Problems with copyright of CBM name, as well as Amiga Inc that transfered trademark had a solvency and other problems in the past
e) Discrispect in communication to existing Amiga community and products
and agressive propaganda of not yet existing hardware and not planned software

Call it a crusade, but I call it result of CBM USA actions. Signature explains it best.

However, today is Amiwest day, come back with something for sale.

Meanwhile recommendations for all interested in AROS and WinUAE is AresOne,
clean and powerful design that just hasn`t got fancy name and propaganda
http://www.vesalia.de/d_aresone2010.htm

All as One

I prefer mobility i.e. tablet/netbooks/laptops (max 16 inch and less than 1 inch thick).

Last edited by Hammer on 22-Oct-2010 at 11:37 AM.
Last edited by Hammer on 22-Oct-2010 at 11:37 AM.
Last edited by Hammer on 22-Oct-2010 at 11:36 AM.

T-J 
Posted on 22-Oct-2010 12:32:53
#353 ]
Cult Member

@WolfToTheMoon

I also was aware of commodorecorp.com. It didn't strike me as anything special when I first located it ages ago (before all this CUSA stuff), but looking at it now, its Asiarim. Or at least, a subsidiary or licensee thereof. More than likely this is the company that Asiarim intends to use to release the Commodore-branded tablets, all-in-ones and laptops in the coming years.

Quote:
I do believe that most of the current amiga community will be well pleased

But what do you mean by that? I'd like two definitions. One, what do you consider to be the current Amiga community? Two, in what way will it be pleased?

Last edited by T-J on 22-Oct-2010 at 12:59 PM.

T-J 
Posted on 22-Oct-2010 12:42:02
#354 ]
Cult Member

@WolfToTheMoon

Oh, and just for laughs, how about this flash of inspiration I've just had: You've already said you're not connected with CUSA. But that still leaves one other possibility...

Hello Asiarim!

Well, maybe.

djrikki 
Posted on 22-Oct-2010 12:44:06
#355 ]
Elite Member

@T-J

Miss Asiarim.

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 22-Oct-2010 13:13:21
#356 ]

@T-J

Not ASIARIM either...

T-J 
Posted on 22-Oct-2010 14:29:14
#357 ]
Cult Member

@WolfToTheMoon

Well, it was worth a guess.

Anyway, my questions? What's the existing Amiga community? I ask because I don't currently see how CUSA can please the existing Amiga community as I understand it.

persia 
Posted on 22-Oct-2010 15:20:22
#358 ]

@WolfToTheMoon

The only thing that would please the Amiga Community would be the reuniting of the Amiga computer brand with the AmigaOS brand. If there were Amiga PCs in addition to Amiga X1000s and Amiga SAMs I suspect everyone would be happy.

C=USA's approach has be to question the intelligence of folks in the Amiga community. Assuming that just because we like "old stuff" we are a bunch of know-nothing luddites, when in reality the collective experience of members of this community in modern technology is extremely impressive. We are by and at large highly skilled IT professionals that happen to like Amiga and Amiga-like OSs as a hobby. Nobody expects world domination, just a continuation of our hobby. C=USA would create a ton of good will to non-exclusively license the Amiga name to Hyperion and Hyperion related companies and then get on with it's Amiga PC business.

tomazkid 
Posted on 7-Nov-2010 20:27:20
#359 ]
Team Member

Guess this poll is done.

The winning option:

Treat it as off-topic except in General Technology, Alt Amiga OS, & Free for all.
got 52% of the votes.

So, the future guidelines regarding C=USA.

Start threads in Alt Amiga OS forum if it concerns AROS on C=USA IBM-PC clones.

Otherwise; use General Technology or Free for All.

Poll closed.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle