Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
14 crawler(s) on-line.
 121 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OneTimer1:  7 mins ago
 BigD:  50 mins ago
 OlafS25:  52 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 12 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 21 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  1 hr 23 mins ago
 Gunnar:  2 hrs 2 mins ago
 Frank:  2 hrs 8 mins ago
 MickJT:  2 hrs 47 mins ago
 A1200:  3 hrs 11 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Website feedback and suggestions
      /  [Poll] Commodore USA's Amigas and Amigaworld.net
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )
Poll : How should AW.net handle Commodore USA's Amigas?
Treat it as off-topic except in General Technology, Alt Amiga OS, & Free for all.
Create a new forum for Commodore USA Amigas.
Allow it to be discussed in Amiga general chat like any other Amiga (classic, AmigaOne etc).
Some other option (explain in a post).

PosterThread
jas_mc 
Re: [Poll] Commodore USA's Amigas and Amigaworld.net
Posted on 17-Oct-2010 10:36:29
#61 ]

@BigBentheAussie

Quote:
WE ARE AMIGA NOW! No matter what your take on that is.

This isn't so much a question about what is or isn't an Amiga as what should or shouldn't be the subject matter of this forum.

If Commodore USA succeeds then I'd rather these venues continued to discuss operating systems that seek to recreate the AmigaOS/ Workbench experience - even if that means them rebranding and even renaming themselves to make that clear - because I don't think that manufacturer/ brand alone is a sensible starting point for discussion.

Although a successful Commdore Amiga-branded Windows PC might be an attractive proposition to Amiga fans who use PCs for productivity, the computing experience (Windows or Linux on PC) isn't really connected to the discussion interests of the community here. It feels like something that should get a whole new forum (although to be honest, I think brand/manufacture is an odd thing to form an online community around, unless you're a complete brand fan). If the existing forums have to rename themselves to avoid confusion (even to "concede the battle" if the new Commodore Amiga succeeds) then so be it.

My two pence:

If you want to do something unique with this opportunity, then I'd sell attractive PCs that dual boot Windows and an Amiga-branded Linux distro, which a) should be based on something like Ubuntu for usability and b) have a tweaked desktop to resemble the Amiga Workbench navigation as closely as possible.

It should look like Workbench and feel a bit like it too.

Maybe incorporate something like the Rox Filer so you're opening windows and clicking on icons as your main way of opening files and running programs. Preferably, I'd include some kind of emulation so people can emulate Amiga software seamlessly in this Linux Amiga Workbench environment.

I'd then investigate taking open source apps and forking them to make a suite of Amiga-branded, also open source stuff. E.g., a GIMP- and Inkscape-based graphics studio with the "Deluxe" branding (if you can get it) and the same icons/ palette layout (including the dot-on-a-bar foreground and background colour). Obviously you'd have to add some new features to justify the fork beyond being a mere gimmick, but not a huge amount.

Also a good Amiga-branded Office suite and browser, again based on forking existing open source projects and adding enough new features to justify the fork.

Sell your boxes dual booting this Amiga Linux Workbench with Windows, and if you end up with a nice, usable, attractive, Amiga-branded (Amiga-like) Linux environment, you can look at selling slightly cheaper versions of your Commodore Amigas that don't have Windows on. Make it an option for the customer.

To me it would still be cheating :P but the fact is I do have to use Linux and I do use Windows, so if Commodore USA could slap a superficially Amiga-ish user experience on top of Linux, and sell it in an attractive box at a good price, I would be tempted.

Profile     Report this post  
Shufflepuck 
Posted on 17-Oct-2010 10:41:02
#62 ]
Cult Member

@BigBentheAussie

Quote:
WE ARE AMIGA NOW! No matter what your take on that is.

You're "Commodore USA Amiga", I got it.
Best of luck, if you'll ship a Commodore USA Amiga with Aros next year I'll buy one, so it will gather dust along with my SAM/eMac/AspireOne. I love dust.

DAX 
Posted on 17-Oct-2010 11:04:50
#63 ]
Elite Member

@Paolone
It's not about names but about that OS evolving for the last 25 years, and the possibility/philosophy/paradigm of having "different" custom computers built specifically for it.
Yes the X1000 is expensive and blah blah blah, but if your read TD transcript of the RT interview (or listen to it) you can realize it is meant for some, and that it will eventually lead to newer products (even cheaper ones).

As for the OS, you might have missed the news, but Carl Sassenrath is bringing its work to it, and Alinea is once again developing new versions of their software (including Art Effect) for it. Jamie Krueger is back developing its tools, with other projects going on underneath thanks to the HW loaning program (which will include X1000 beta boards too by the way).

This is a new beginning for AOS make no mistake.

Till there will be people that believe in that definition of Amiga (like myself) and companies making such products will exist, it will be hard not to consider x86 chinese PCs running a plethora of OSs (including an Amiga-Like clone) as nothing more than a Chinese x86 PC with a label on it.

Last edited by DAX on 17-Oct-2010 at 11:06 AM.

Nimrod 
Posted on 17-Oct-2010 11:12:11
#64 ]

@BigBentheAussie

Quote:

2011 will *likely* see CommodoreUSA release AMIGA desktops, an AMIGA laptop and an AMIGA tablet.

Forgive my cynicism but I have been hearing claims like this from various sources for far too long. When you have made as much notable progress as Trevor Dickinson I may start to take notice, until then there are only three relevant topics . AROS(x86), MorphOS(retired Mac), and OS4.x(Up to SAM 'likely' soon A1X1K).
Quote:

This will lead to a renaissance in terms of the AMIGA brand.

The AMIGA brand will dissapear from sight swamped under by the likes of Dell, Packard Bell, Acer and other large volume manufacturers
Quote:

Our AMIGA machines will have an unmistakable AMIGA flavour and should be competitive in the mainstream.

Your AMIGA machines will be indistinguishable from any other x86 based hardware running Windows, and will only become relevant to this site if the buyer puts AROS on to it, something CommodeUSA has already turned its back on

Nimrod 
Posted on 17-Oct-2010 11:13:28
#65 ]

Sorry. Double post.

Last edited by Nimrod on 17-Oct-2010 at 11:15 AM.

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 17-Oct-2010 11:27:24
#66 ]

@jas_mc

That's very similar to what I was proposing back when the x86 Amigas first hit the news. But prepared to be flamed with "it's not an amiga if it is not running an amiga os or amiga-like OS" and "linux is not amiga" retorics...

I guess we will know more about this in the future... for now it's all theoretical and we cannot know what are they going to do.

Hammer 
Posted on 17-Oct-2010 12:11:21
#67 ]
Elite Member

@andres

Quote:

andres wrote:
C=USA's PCs wont use AROS, but W7 or Ubuntu.

It would be easy to preload W7 boxes with AmigaForever 2010.

Instead of Splashtop(e.g. ASUS Expressgate) why about AROS?

Last edited by Hammer on 17-Oct-2010 at 12:16 PM.

terminills 
Posted on 17-Oct-2010 12:15:40
#68 ]
AROS Core Developer

@Nimrod

The Amiga brand has already disappeared. Just over 1000 users left. Even 10 years ago there was about 10 times that... We are on life support as it is...

"AROS is prolly illegal ~ Evert Carton" intentionally quoted out of context for dramatic effect

Nimrod 
Posted on 17-Oct-2010 12:25:58
#69 ]

@terminills

True. C=Amiga disappeared years ago.
The disappearance I was referring to was CommodeUSA Amiga, which is a nonexistent entity as far as PC users are concerned.
It will enter the market with the explosive force of a soggy firecracker.

damocles 
Posted on 17-Oct-2010 12:37:14
#70 ]

@BigBentheAussie

Will accessories like keyboards, mice, cases be sold to the public?

eliyahu 
Posted on 17-Oct-2010 12:42:29
#71 ]

@damocles

Quote:
Will accessories like keyboards, mice, cases be sold to the public?

that would actually be a great idea. since the machines themselves will just be OEM PCs, the only real value 'commodore USA' brings is the brand. so those of us who use amigaOS or morphOS could buy the cases and have the name as well. after all -- that's all the crew in fort lauderdale brings to the table anyway.

in all honesty the idea that the amiga brand will end its days this way is hugely disappointing to me. just a sticker on some bog-standard PC from a company adding no value to the machine itself whatsoever. that hardly seems in keeping with the amiga tradition.

-- eliyahu

Last edited by eliyahu on 17-Oct-2010 at 12:47 PM.

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 17-Oct-2010 12:58:28
#72 ]

@eliyahu

Excuse me, but what amiga tradition?

Are you saying that there is a continued amiga tradition to date? If there is, I cannot see it. The only amiga tradition in the last decade is that of overpriced, underpowered, unreliable, uncompetitive products that are usually late to the market.

edit:typos

Last edited by WolfToTheMoon on 17-Oct-2010 at 01:01 PM.

Wizzard_o 
Posted on 17-Oct-2010 13:05:42
#73 ]
Cult Member
From: UK, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Solar System, Alpha Quadrant, The Milky-Way, Universe. 1.1.1.3.44.HP

@BigBentheAussie

That's allot of bluster for a company that just produces stickers.
Instead of just badge-engineering other manufacturer's PC's why not invest in REAL Amiga Technology and build an OS4 capable (Power PC) machine?

@Thread
I used to like coming here until the user-base got infested with AROS & MOS users, the site changed to include them and now any OS4 news is treated with utter contempt by these users.
This WAS a Pro OS4 site, now it seems to have barely anything to do with real Amiga's at all.

So, why not call the website AROS World instead? and OS4 users go to Amigans.net instead.

There's no place for OS4 on Amigaworld.net any more.

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 17-Oct-2010 13:13:55
#74 ]

@Wizzard_o

Quote:
why not invest in REAL Amiga Technology and build an OS4 capable (Power PC) machine?

Because there is no market for that... Power PC is dead on desktop computers.
Would be much better to just port OS4 or use AROS as a base for a licensed x86 OS4 clone, but even so, highly unlikely to happen because there is no profit in that.

Last edited by WolfToTheMoon on 17-Oct-2010 at 01:14 PM.

Shufflepuck 
Posted on 17-Oct-2010 13:14:20
#75 ]
Cult Member

@WolfToTheMoon

To me Amiga's legacy still lives in the OSes (AmigaOS and MorphOS), not in the hardware. Same could be applied - to a lesser extend - to AROS, which aims at being compatible with AmigaOS at the API level. As DAX pointed out things are still moving, both for AOS and MOS. As much as I am "platform agnostic" these (eventual) AmigaPCs are somewhat a slap in the face for community members who breathed and lived the Amiga soap opera of the past 10+ years but I understand there might be a market for these (as there was - apparently - a market for Commodore Gaming PCs a while back). I'd buy one if it comes out with Aros, but this is just me being masochistic, not because I feel they have something to do with AMIGA "as intended".

Wizzard_o 
Posted on 17-Oct-2010 13:17:07
#76 ]
Cult Member
From: UK, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Solar System, Alpha Quadrant, The Milky-Way, Universe. 1.1.1.3.44.HP

@WolfToTheMoon

I didn't ask you for a reply, please don't put words in someone else's mouth.

Last edited by Wizzard_o on 17-Oct-2010 at 01:19 PM.

g01df1sh 
Posted on 17-Oct-2010 13:18:35
#77 ]

@_Steve_

We need a recyle bin forum that way we can just drag and drop the crap into the bin and not hear about it again.

Last edited by g01df1sh on 17-Oct-2010 at 01:20 PM.

Wii with Amiga emulation
Vampire v4 SA

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 17-Oct-2010 13:21:57
#78 ]

@Wizzard_o

I just told you what Leo would also... note that he says

Quote:
your suggestions have to be viable in the mainstream, and not be purely hobby related. We are selling x86 machines....period.

so no PPC possible. And OS4 doesn't run on x86... connect the dots.

If you want a OS4 machine, your choice is pretty clear.

Last edited by WolfToTheMoon on 17-Oct-2010 at 01:22 PM.

DAX 
Posted on 17-Oct-2010 13:26:18
#79 ]
Elite Member

@Wizzard_o
Excellent suggestion.

As for those that says PPC tech is dead and too expensive, it would seem a change will happen. Trevor Dickinson in his latest RT interview mentioned a big movement in the Power scene, a movement that will lead to 32 cores PPC CPUs and the availability of lower cost components.
IBM just declared they are back at further developing both the Cell and new Power8 cpus, moreover FreeScale, rumored to exit the Power market, just renewed its trust, by releasing a powerful family of new CPUs that will scale from 2 to 8 cores (like their previous generation already avaialble in 8 cores version, the difference this time is the focus on new powerful FPUs).
Then there is also AMCC, don't think Titan will be their last chip either.

All in all PowerPC is getting a come back.

Last edited by DAX on 17-Oct-2010 at 01:27 PM.

Wizzard_o 
Posted on 17-Oct-2010 13:28:13
#80 ]
Cult Member

@WolfToTheMoon

Re-read my post again, I don't care about your opinion, I want to hear from Ben. (The organ grinder, not the dancing monkey!)
(unless your the same sad little guy with four accounts here)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle