Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
10 crawler(s) on-line.
 97 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

number6

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 number6:  2 mins ago
 Karlos:  23 mins ago
 matthey:  35 mins ago
 Rob:  47 mins ago
 kolla:  51 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  1 hr 19 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 53 mins ago
 pixie:  2 hrs 6 mins ago
 outlawal2:  3 hrs 12 mins ago
 zipper:  4 hrs 9 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga News & Events
      /  Status Update on OS4 TIMBERWOLF?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
Hypex 
Re: Status Update on OS4 TIMBERWOLF!
Posted on 26-Oct-2010 15:04:55
#21 ]
Elite Member

@drHirudo

Quote:
Recently I have been late to work up to 55 minutes thanks to my addiction to OWB.

Now this is interesting. So it was OWB you were addicted too,. and not the internet?

Quote:
Of course with OWB I don't use the others any more.

I still do. I use OWB when I need CSS and IBrowse for eveything else. Sometimes I like a password filler, download manager, history, cache, ... If OWB at least had a hoptlinks bat at the top it would be more bearabll. But OWB is not a desktop browser, it's a mobile browser. Still, until OS4 I'd never heard of it! Maybe they should port OpenWave to OS4.

Profile     Report this post  
Tomppeli 
Posted on 26-Oct-2010 15:26:57
#22 ]

I agree that the thread title is misleading without a question mark in it !

@Kronos

Quote:
but than we have Fab claiming that the MorphOS-OWB is pretty much a sperate WebKit-browser with very few OWB-leftovers these days

Wasn't Sputnik WebKit based as well ? If true, makes one wonder why not concentrate on Sputnik all this passed time instead of OWB at all.

@drHirudo
Btw. The latest AmigaOS OWB version is 3.30. And because OWB bug tracker is closed, I guess, it means it really is discontinued. (I personally hope a new Timberwolf release is around a corner and waiting for a new OS update. Or something like that...)

Last edited by Tomppeli on 26-Oct-2010 at 03:30 PM.
Last edited by Tomppeli on 26-Oct-2010 at 03:27 PM.

Hypex 
Posted on 26-Oct-2010 15:29:09
#23 ]
Elite Member

@Fairdinkem

Quote:
OWB to provide AmigaOS4.x with a CSS HTML5 capable browser,

I tested some apparent HTML5 video with OWB and it worked! But I couldn't get anywhere with the youtube HTML5 betatest program. (Haha.) It just brought back flash.

Quote:
Realistically you have to be honest, OWB on AmigaOS4.x is soooooooo behind the times and practically featureless.

I agree. If it didn't have an interface we'd use it for a dongle.

Here's an idea. We need a modern HTML datatype. Something that does the hardwork while MultiView provides a GUI.

Quote:
OWB on MorphOS

It seems now they've dropper Voyager, and adopted OWB. And I wonder, why is theirs in better development? Perhaps Hyperion should pay the coder for an OS4 port!

Quote:
AmigaOS4.x needs to move on and into the future when it comes to web-surfing, and Timberwolf is the answer.

IMHO Timberwolf was too early to released to us. Okay it was Alpha and we kept asking. But it was buggy and just unsable for surfing. Without a Beta following it's still just a blimp on the radar and I went back to OWB after five minutes.

I'd much prefer the features of FF adapted to OWB. Timberwolf gave me a warning, of what is to come to have a modern browser on the Amiga, and I didn't like it. When I use an Amiga application I like to have the look and feel of a real Amiga application. Timberwolf just didn't do this. It had it's custom GUI designed for Windows trying to work on Amiga and it doesn't look like it will get much better with the Gecko interface. But I have used FF on Windows and it looked and felt like a Windows application so why does it still have to look and feel like a Windows application on Amiga. If I wanted to use a Windows application I switch on the PC.

MUI is better, and kind of in-between. But Timberwolf reminds me of using AmiCygnix. Like an emulated program on another OS. Well, AbiWord spins my HD for 30 secs before coming up. Except it's like an AmiCygnix program on the Workbench. Well I not looking forward to that!

In any case, when I used FireFox on the PC recently to sde what we were getting, I wasn't that impressed. I expected more features from the download manager. And IIRC it annoyed me by not remembering past sites or history or something lie that. I'd only used it three or so times so where did it go? I expcted better for a big Windows-beats-all application.

Then again. WindowsXP can't even view a PDF. It doesn't know what one is! And needs t download a viewer. Even if it's old, OS4 has PDF viewer built in! So OS4 wins that race!

Tomppeli 
Posted on 26-Oct-2010 15:36:44
#24 ]

@Hypex

WebKit rendering engine inside IBrowse and actually released to public/us all ?

djrikki 
Posted on 26-Oct-2010 15:45:00
#25 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

The friedens already confirmed that FF *cough* I mean Timberwolf will have Amiga menus and such other Amiga-like features so there is no need to worry about. Just the long waiting game huh...

My oh my so much banter about TW all caused my some wally typing a ! instead of a ? on the thread title... if you ask me it was delibrate =P

Last edited by djrikki on 26-Oct-2010 at 03:45 PM.

opi 
Posted on 26-Oct-2010 15:56:13
#26 ]
Team Member

@Hypex

Quote:
I tested some apparent HTML5 video with OWB and it worked! But I couldn't get anywhere with the youtube HTML5 betatest program.

To use HTML5 [video] tag you'd need some codecs and a browser that's capable of using it. MorphOS OBW supports [video] tag thanks to ffmpeg.

Fab 
Posted on 26-Oct-2010 15:56:22
#27 ]

@kronos

OWB was mainly a "reorganization" of WebKit in a couple places:
- rewritten CMakeFiles
- platform (os-dependant) files copied and renamed in another directory
- cloned WebKit-windows API
- Embedded device additions for the Pleyo products
- a SDL backend (slow, buggy, incomplete), but useful as a proof of concept.

At each merge, WebKit can be substancially changed regarding platform files and makefiles, so the OWB part that remains is actually more a burden to me. I think i'll start on a fresh WebKit checkout someday. That will save me time when merging.

Last edited by Fab on 26-Oct-2010 at 04:15 PM.
Last edited by Fab on 26-Oct-2010 at 03:59 PM.

Hypex 
Posted on 26-Oct-2010 16:08:09
#28 ]
Elite Member

@Tomppeli

Yes that will do.

Though I think the honour belongs to AWeb.

Fab 
Posted on 26-Oct-2010 16:12:21
#29 ]

@Hypex

Quote:

I use OWB when I need CSS and IBrowse for eveything else. Sometimes I like a password filler, download manager, history, cache, ... If OWB at least had a hoptlinks bat at the top it would be more bearabll.

OWB MorphOS has all that (except disk cache).

Quote:

But OWB is not a desktop browser, it's a mobile browser. Still, until OS4 I'd never heard of it! Maybe they should port OpenWave to OS4.

But OWB *is* WebKit, and a WebKit-based browser can obviously be as feature-rich as one would expect from a desktop browser (but that'sobvious, considering Safari and chrome). This argument that OWB for OS4 should stay as limited as a mobile browser is just an excuse to slack (which is morally questionable when you have received sputnik bounty and several donations before).

EntilZha 
Posted on 26-Oct-2010 17:04:08
#30 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@realize

Started to migrate to 4.0beta, but noticed that the betas still have rendering problems on some systems, even on Windows. Therefore, the whole migration is put on hold until Firefox 4.0 final source code is available.

"I don't have a frigging clue. I'm norwegian" -- Ole-Egil

All opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Hyperion Entertainment

EntilZha 
Posted on 26-Oct-2010 17:06:16
#31 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@drHirudo

Quote:
Who cares about Timberwolf, when OWB is so cool nowadays?

Just shows that you don't think beyond the browser. Firefox is not only a browser, it's technology.

Quote:
I can hardly say this about Timberwolf

That's why it's called a pre-alpha. It's hardly fair to compare pre-alpha with anything that has been stable for a while.

Quote:
Timberwolf is just a proof of concept to me, nothing more

See above. Pretty short-sighted.

"I don't have a frigging clue. I'm norwegian" -- Ole-Egil

All opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Hyperion Entertainment

TheDungeonDelver 
Posted on 26-Oct-2010 17:25:12
#32 ]
Cult Member

@EntilZha

Quote:

EntilZha wrote:
@drHirudo

Quote:
Who cares about Timberwolf, when OWB is so cool nowadays?

Just shows that you don't think beyond the browser. Firefox is not only a browser, it's technology.

Everyone read this. This is pretty much the truth.

Plus, I'm entirely sure Hyperion understands the absolute need for a technology like Firefox if the platform to advance. Under-developed "home grown" browsers won't cut it when it comes to bringing back users. You go out there with OWB, WebKit, etc. and 90% of people will say "oh, that's nice, where do I download Firefox for it?"

Truth.

Rogue 
Posted on 26-Oct-2010 18:37:08
#33 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@realize

Since I never had the impression you cared anything about AmigaOS 4.x, I have to wonder why you ask that question? I also see you started some other threads on AmigaOS 4.x.

Why?

samo79 
Posted on 26-Oct-2010 18:37:52
#34 ]
Elite Member

@Fab

Quote:
But OWB *is* WebKit, and a WebKit-based browser can obviously be as feature-rich as one would expect from a desktop browser (but that'sobvious, considering Safari and chrome). This argument that OWB for OS4 should stay as limited as a mobile browser is just an excuse to slack (which is morally questionable when you have received sputnik bounty and several donations before).

I totally agree with you, it's a shame ... OWB can be an excellent and complete web browser, having a minimal UI is only an ideological choice :-/

@EntilZha

Thanks for the news, i'm really looking forward for it, good luck !!

BTW: is there any other things that you are able to show ? I mean about the "integration" with the AmigaOS style UI, i think about the actual Windows's style menu and so on ..

http://www.betatesting.it/backforthefuture

Sam440ep Flex 800 Mhz 1 GB Ram + AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6
AmigaOne XE G3 800 Mhz - 640 MB Ram - Radeon 9200 SE + AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6

delshay 
Posted on 26-Oct-2010 18:46:10
#35 ]

what are the system requirements needed to run this browser?

memory & processor speed.

TheDungeonDelver 
Posted on 26-Oct-2010 18:54:55
#36 ]
Cult Member

@delshay

This is a bad example, but I ran FF3 (at least I think it was 3, it may have been late in the life of FF2) on a P133 with 96mb RAM (win '98SE). It was an old "emergency" notebook I had pulled out when my main system died.

Make of that what you will.

virgolamobile 
Posted on 26-Oct-2010 18:55:19
#37 ]

@Rogue

All people that do web development everyday have clearly in mind the advantages of having the Mozilla platform available.
Amonga others:
- W3C standards conformance
- javascript interpreter performance (well, version 4 will boost that)
- available plugins
- XUL (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XUL) technology

Just as a curiosity I want to mention that XUL supports fully featured applications, for example the Komodo editor.

So: keep it up Rogue!

Last edited by virgolamobile on 26-Oct-2010 at 06:55 PM.

Troels 
Posted on 26-Oct-2010 18:57:21
#38 ]
Elite Member

@Fab
Quote:
...(which is morally questionable when you have received sputnik bounty and several donations before).

Just to clarify this: As the remains after the refund was divided between Jörg and Chris (Netsurf), Jörg only got part of the Sputnik bounty money.

Everyone who requested a refund got their money back.

Donations made to Jörg was of course for the work he already did, not for stuff that might never happen.

billt 
Posted on 26-Oct-2010 20:57:38
#39 ]
Elite Member

@EntilZha

Quote:
Started to migrate to 4.0beta, but noticed that the betas still have rendering problems on some systems, even on Windows. Therefore, the whole migration is put on hold until Firefox 4.0 final source code is available.

IMHO this is well worth waiting for, and is fantastic news!

kas1e 
Posted on 26-Oct-2010 21:06:08
#40 ]
Elite Member

@billt

Quote:

IMHO this is well worth waiting for, and is fantastic news!

Did you mean its cool that whole migration is put on hold until Firefox 4.0 final source code is available ?:)

Why it looks not so cool for others: its that always will be new versions of FireFox, and better to have 3.6 working fine, than every year have only alpha of every major-new version of FF.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle