Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
25 crawler(s) on-line.
 56 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

OlafS25,  pixie

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 pixie:  2 mins ago
 OlafS25:  3 mins ago
 BigD:  42 mins ago
 chloeneelson:  51 mins ago
 VooDoo:  52 mins ago
 agami:  1 hr 17 mins ago
 jakiv:  1 hr 35 mins ago
 jPV:  1 hr 50 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  2 hrs ago
 pavlor:  2 hrs 40 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga News & Events
      /  Status Update on OS4 TIMBERWOLF?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
winnetcom 
Re: Status Update on OS4 TIMBERWOLF!
Posted on 26-Oct-2010 21:17:57
#41 ]

@EntilZha

Sounds Great to me, Thanks.

Profile     Report this post  
samo79 
Posted on 26-Oct-2010 21:19:35
#42 ]
Elite Member

@virgolamobile

Quote:
- W3C standards conformance

Well OWB/WebKit is conformed too ...

http://www.betatesting.it/backforthefuture

Sam440ep Flex 800 Mhz 1 GB Ram + AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6
AmigaOne XE G3 800 Mhz - 640 MB Ram - Radeon 9200 SE + AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6

elatour 
Posted on 26-Oct-2010 21:39:49
#43 ]
Cult Member

@bitman

Quote:
Friedens: "Add to that that we're both busy with the x1000 development, so we don't have a lot of spare time to do Timberwolf. Progress will be slow for a while."

One more reason to go open source and hand the batton to someone else, but I know that this is wishful thinking on my part given what they have said regarding open source in the past.

Richi 
Posted on 26-Oct-2010 21:45:55
#44 ]

@EntilZha

Quote:
Started to migrate to 4.0beta, but noticed that the betas still have rendering problems on some systems, even on Windows. Therefore, the whole migration is put on hold until Firefox 4.0 final source code is available.

I've been using the latest pre beta for weeks now under Windows and i can say that it works really well. Also the latest public beta (6 i guess) is pretty good. In fact I haven't seen any major visualization problem recently.

bitman 
Posted on 26-Oct-2010 22:09:13
#45 ]
Cult Member

@elatour

Quote:
One more reason to go open source and hand the batton to someone else

The FireFox sourcecode is freely avaialble if anybody wants to give it a go......

nubechecorre 
Posted on 26-Oct-2010 22:18:48
#46 ]
Cult Member

@Rogue Enthizilla

thanks for the infos really appreciated

@Samo79

Evvaiiiiii

Bitplane

Troels 
Posted on 26-Oct-2010 22:29:27
#47 ]
Elite Member

@Richi
Using Beta6 here, when using my winblows machine.

I never encountered any rendering problems but I can see it only get's 97 in Acid3 test
Apart from that it's damn fast compared to 3.6x and feels at least on par with Chrome.

Richi 
Posted on 26-Oct-2010 22:50:01
#48 ]

@Troels
I wouldn't be worry about the Acid3 test score, the few lost points are related to the missing support of the video codec. The codec war is still going on. It doesn't affect usability though.

I've seen some small rendering problem here and there (some of them even disappear reloading the page), nothing major though. Yes i agree the difference between 3.6 and 4.0 is huge. And wait to see what they introduced in beta8...

Fab 
Posted on 26-Oct-2010 23:24:56
#49 ]

@Richi

The acid3 test doesn't use video at all. But this test is also quite old by now (even if Firefox still doesn't comply fully).

You might also want to check html5test.com: OWB scores 198/300 there (on MorphOS), and FireFox 3.6 scores 139/300 (and IE9 something like 30 :)).

But let's not forget it's mostly about HTML5, which is still not even a 100% defined standard yet.

Last edited by Fab on 26-Oct-2010 at 11:43 PM.

redfox 
Posted on 26-Oct-2010 23:52:47
#50 ]
Elite Member

@EntilZha

Thanks for the update.

---
redfox

Tomppeli 
Posted on 27-Oct-2010 1:52:36
#51 ]

@EntilZha

Quote:
Started to migrate to 4.0beta, but noticed that the betas still have rendering problems on some systems, even on Windows. Therefore, the whole migration is put on hold until Firefox 4.0 final source code is available.

That might take long time. Could you consider fixing few bugs from the current public release and make a new release of that version ? (Pretty please.) I tested 4.0 beta 6 quickly on Ubuntu and those very few websites I tested worked nice.

samo79 
Posted on 27-Oct-2010 2:01:04
#52 ]
Elite Member

@nubechecorre

@Fab

Quote:
You might also want to check html5test.com: OWB scores 198/300 there (on MorphOS), and FireFox 3.6 scores 139/300 (and IE9 something like 30 :)).

OWB on OS4 scores 154/300, i think the difference with yours is the HTML5 things

http://www.betatesting.it/backforthefuture

Sam440ep Flex 800 Mhz 1 GB Ram + AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6
AmigaOne XE G3 800 Mhz - 640 MB Ram - Radeon 9200 SE + AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6

elatour 
Posted on 27-Oct-2010 4:11:44
#53 ]
Cult Member

@bitman

Quote:
The FireFox sourcecode is freely avaialble if anybody wants to give it a go...

Yeah, but that's the problem isn't it though. Too many people are working alone instead of working together/collaborating and learning from each other. This does nothing for the plaform as whole and keeps it from moving forward any faster, IMHO.

Last edited by elatour on 27-Oct-2010 at 04:12 AM.

realize 
Posted on 27-Oct-2010 4:39:38
#54 ]

@Rogue

Well I've ALWAYS had an interest in Amiga os4 since the begining. Being a former dealer I wanted to carry the A1/OS4 but costs were way too high and compared to what genesi/morphos was offering with peg with prices/features had to go that way. I helped MANY people in the various Amiga clubs I was in build or configure there A1s though.

I have a peg2 and have kept it all this time to run OS4 and Morphos side by side. So i've been rooting for os4 the whole way (even before it was avail for peg) I would have had it purchased already if it wasnt so much with exchange rates (like $160 + us) if it was $100 i'd probably go for it but cant really justify using it over morphos YET. There is a couple of cool features but I would need more to justify the expenditure. I was hoping for Os4.2 news or some new software for x1000 or something...

Now, many idiots have labeled me a "troll" I just give my honest opinions about the technologies. I may be wrong at times i'll admit. The bulk of this reputation came when I criticzed the A1 aka "Teron" and all of that was true and speaking from a very informed perspective. ( like directly talking to motorolla execs, devs, and engineers for example!)

thank you so much to both you and your brother for the updates.

realize 
Posted on 27-Oct-2010 4:41:26
#55 ]

@Troels

Well kind of ironic that Fab does it for FREE and its MILES ahead of os4 version. I see the point. The developer took the $$ of amigans and the hopes and it really hasnt gone too far..

drHirudo 
Posted on 27-Oct-2010 6:10:28
#56 ]

@realize

Quote:

realize wrote:
@Troels

Well kind of ironic that Fab does it for FREE and its MILES ahead of os4 version. I see the point. The developer took the $$ of amigans and the hopes and it really hasnt gone too far..

OWB for Amiga is FREE project, with the option for people to donate if they wish. When the Sputnik bounty was cancelled, some of the money were transferred to OWB (AmigaOS 4). People were free to decide if they want their Sputnik money back and transfer them to MOSOWB if they wish.

What do you mean by MILES ahead of AmigaOS 4 version? Flash? Working RSS client? ActiveX? On the fly HTML editor? Autofill Forms? E-mail client? Compatible plugins? Themes? 3D Bookmarks previewer? Spellchecker? Please elaborate.

cha05e90 
Posted on 27-Oct-2010 6:52:27
#57 ]

@realize

Jörg never ever demanded any money for OWB - nevertheless a lot of people (some of them ex-Sputnik-supporters) donated some bucks for his work. I did this twice, for the things he *did* and not for features from the future.

Fairdinkem 
Posted on 27-Oct-2010 7:19:07
#58 ]
Cult Member

@Hypex

Quote:

Hypex wrote:
@Fairdinkem

IMHO Timberwolf was too early to released to us. Okay it was Alpha and we kept asking. But it was buggy and just unsable for surfing. Without a Beta following it's still just a blimp on the radar and I went back to OWB after five minutes.

As you said it was alpha but it was offered to us to show what has been done and to silence the critics and the "It will never happen" people.

Quote:

I'd much prefer the features of FF adapted to OWB. Timberwolf gave me a warning, of what is to come to have a modern browser on the Amiga, and I didn't like it. When I use an Amiga application I like to have the look and feel of a real Amiga application. Timberwolf just didn't do this. It had it's custom GUI designed for Windows trying to work on Amiga and it doesn't look like it will get much better with the Gecko interface. But I have used FF on Windows and it looked and felt like a Windows application so why does it still have to look and feel like a Windows application on Amiga. If I wanted to use a Windows application I switch on the PC.

Of course the interface was buggy Hyperion made mention of that in there disclaimer but that does not mean they won't have those things ironed out for the beta. I am running firefox on my PC and I think the GUI is very Amiga like due to its massive customization features ie it is skinable and themeable there is not much that can't be changed in its look and function which to me is very Amiga like. Also Hyperion have stated that they will include a few AmigaOS4.x features to it.

Quote:

In any case, when I used FireFox on the PC recently to sde what we were getting, I wasn't that impressed. I expected more features from the download manager. And IIRC it annoyed me by not remembering past sites or history or something lie that. I'd only used it three or so times so where did it go? I expcted better for a big Windows-beats-all application.

I find the download manager adequate but if that doesn't satisfy then the beauty of firefox is that you can customize it by the inbuilt addons feature under the tools menu where you can select from any number of applications such as download manager which gives you a variety of options with your downloads but aslo extracts embedded files from sites like youtube much like clipdown but it is embedded in the browser as a pluggin.

As for history being remembered under the tools menu you have options which you can set up firefox with, there is a myriad of options including three settings for remembering history. I fear you have used OWB for so long that you aren't use to having a menu with options

Bearing all this in mind I think Firefox (Timberwolf) is worth you spending a little more time with after all it is fighting the war against Micro$oft$ Internet Explorer

Last edited by Fairdinkem on 27-Oct-2010 at 07:28 AM.
Last edited by Fairdinkem on 27-Oct-2010 at 07:25 AM.
Last edited by Fairdinkem on 27-Oct-2010 at 07:24 AM.

Fab 
Posted on 27-Oct-2010 8:33:39
#59 ]

@drHirudo

Quote:

What do you mean by MILES ahead of AmigaOS 4 version? Flash? Working RSS client? ActiveX? On the fly HTML editor? Autofill Forms? E-mail client? Compatible plugins? Themes? 3D Bookmarks previewer? Spellchecker? Please elaborate.

Well, there is plugin support, with swfdec as external flash plugin, though you would prefer HTML5 Video for youtube&co. WebInspector allows to edit the page on the fly and browse page resources, logins/passwords are autofilled and handled by a password manager, extensions are possible through userscripts.

But more basicly, there's also rudimentary features you can expect from a browser, such as a download manager with resume and history support, history, session support (restore browser state on demand or after a crash), cookie manager, bookmarks (in a tree), fastlinks, favicons support, network activity window/leds, configurable contextmenus, configurable mimetype actions, configurable search engines, ad/content blocker, drag'n'drop support (even for picture/text), info/error/warning messages window, pdf export, on-the-fly settings per tab (for javascript, images, plugins, user-agent, ...), ...

Last edited by Fab on 27-Oct-2010 at 08:35 AM.

gregthecanuck 
Posted on 27-Oct-2010 8:39:34
#60 ]
Cult Member

@thread

Oh come on, stop it. A question on Timberwolf has evolved into a bunfight over OWB and who did the most work on it and whether or not they got donations. Give me a break.

Grow up guys!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle