Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
22 crawler(s) on-line.
 161 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

zipper

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 zipper:  4 mins ago
 Templario:  10 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  24 mins ago
 RobertB:  29 mins ago
 Gunnar:  31 mins ago
 GPTNederlands:  45 mins ago
 janelancy:  46 mins ago
 -Sam-:  55 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 37 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 38 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  LOTS OF AmigaOS4 NEWS!
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
Dandy 
Re: LOTS OF AmigaOS4.1 NEWS!
Posted on 10-Dec-2010 8:11:22
#41 ]
Elite Member

@ChrisH

Quote:

ChrisH wrote:

We heard that OS4.1 will be released for Classic users.

Have you got any information about what USB version will be supported in OS 4.1 for Classics?
Will it be USB 1.1 or will it be the "virtually ready USB2"?

Will more networking cards be supported?
(Mine has a newer RTL chip onboard than the one supported in OS 4.0 classic and doesn't work with OS 4.0 classic...)

Has a sort of "feature list" for OS 4.1 classic been published somewhere?

Dandy

Profile     Report this post  
Troels 
Posted on 10-Dec-2010 8:42:21
#42 ]
Elite Member

@zerohero

No promises has been made in regards to Firefox/Timberwolf. No deadline was ever announced, please stick to facts.

(sort of) working alpha release is here, when we get a new version only the brothers (might) know.

ChrisH 
Posted on 10-Dec-2010 8:51:49
#43 ]
Elite Member

@all
In my first post I had forgotten to mention the demos of OS4.1 on X1000 & Sam460 (now added!). I think these make it VERY clear that Hyperion has been busy all year round:

Oct 2009 - Jan 2010 (and perhaps earlier) = Update 1 for OS4.1, and some stuff that will appear in Update 2.

Jan 2010 - May 2010 = Update 2 for OS4.1 (which IMHO really should have been called OS4.2 due to the major improvements).

May - Jun 2010 - working on getting OS4.1 to run on both X1000 & Sam460.

Jun - Oct 2010 - getting OS4.1 to run well on both X1000 & Sam460. AND also start work on Gallium & SMP for OS4. And probably some stuff that will come in Update 3.

Oct - Dec 2010 - Working on Update 3, Gallium, SMP, and probably polishing OS4.1 for X1000 & Sam460.

Of course this is somewhat speculative, being based upon the *actual* news given in my first post, but I think it gives some idea that Hyperion have been fairly busy the whole time. And most probably they have been working on MORE stuff that has not been reported yet.

Last edited by ChrisH on 10-Dec-2010 at 09:30 AM.
Last edited by ChrisH on 10-Dec-2010 at 09:22 AM.

opi 
Posted on 10-Dec-2010 8:57:17
#44 ]
Team Member

@samo79

Quote:
USB 2.0 support is done, a new shell is done too,

PoverVixxen is ready, we're just waiting for manuals printouts.

SCNR

ChrisH 
Posted on 10-Dec-2010 9:06:13
#45 ]
Elite Member

@zerohero Quote:
I generally respond quite badly to being called daft in public. Also I can't recall I have ever insulted you personally.

"Don't be daft" is NOT an insult, at least here in the UK. It was meant as a friendly "now you're being silly", or something to that effect.

Sorry if you found it offensive.

ChrisH 
Posted on 10-Dec-2010 9:08:48
#46 ]
Elite Member

@zerohero
First you write this (in another thread):
Quote:
Regarding Hyperion not revealing much these days, they never did. From my point of view that's a mistake they've made throughout the years.

And then you say this (in this thread):
Quote:
USB v2, new shell, updated gfx drivers, firefox, springs to mind. What I mean is that regarding to what has been promised in the future there is very little actual news.

Please make up your mind! Do you want Hyperion to announce what they are working on, or do you want them to keep quiet until it is ready?

You surely don't want them to release stuff, just because they announced they were working on it a while ago?!? Hyperion has been working on A LOT of stuff, and so just picking out a few things that didn't make it into Update 2 (USB2 & new shell) seems unreasonable. No idea what "updated gfx drivers" you mean.

I think you are being unreasonable with Firefox/Timberwolf, as it is a MAJOR project done in the devs spare time (as not official Hyperion thing), which Amizilla failed to achieve in 10 years. Point of fact *you can run Timberwolf right now* (some even find it usable), so it is clear they are keeping-up with their promise to get it working. We also know they delayed it while Mozilla fix the major bugs in Firefox 4.0 (which is hardly the Frieden's fault).

Last edited by ChrisH on 10-Dec-2010 at 09:20 AM.

ChrisH 
Posted on 10-Dec-2010 9:12:47
#47 ]
Elite Member

@realize Quote:
Wow big deal. about time. YOu call that news? lol
(snip)

You are doing a good job of proving right the people who called you a troll.

And I note that you failed to respond to my criticism of your thread title (presumably since I was correct & you didn't want to draw attention to it).

Last edited by ChrisH on 10-Dec-2010 at 09:32 AM.

realize 
Posted on 10-Dec-2010 9:39:52
#48 ]

@ChrisH

Quote:
Point of fact *you can run Timberwolf right now* (some even find it usable), so it is clear they are keeping-up with their promise to get it working. We also know they delayed it while Mozilla fix the major bugs in Firefox 4.0 (which is hardly the Frieden's fault).

Run it? Yeah run it and look at it. But as you know, completely UN usable. More proof of concept we all know this. so since we have established this fact, we have another staring us in the face. If it took this long to get a Firefox proof of concept alpha, now that they are starting from SCRATCH with new codebase, how long will it take to have the proof of concept alpha of FF4? 2 years?

With the X1000 coming I was hoping for a next release of os4 with new featuresand a working FF. But this is not to be. :(

People kept calling me a troll when I was starting a productive thread, i'm being real and honest not blinded by propaganda. I support the os4 effort and always have. I'm particular about os4 web browsers as its one of the main reasons i havent bought it yet.

Oh , and BTW to all THE MORONS who attacked me the Last Time I started a thread like this WE got an update of status from Hyperion. Or do you ALL HAVE AMNESIA?

I want Hyperion, Aeon, and OS4 to succeed. Period.

The minute anyone criticizes or questions these entities the fanboy freak out and label them. Its quite facist..

It looks to me that Hyperion is taking on too many platforms with too little resources. I am rooting for them though

AND
I also remember retards here BANNING me for Criticizing Amiga INC isnt that quite a popular thing to do here now? Do you see your own insanity?

Birbo 
Posted on 10-Dec-2010 10:23:06
#49 ]
Cult Member

@realize

Hey man, whats up?

To behave properly - you know what that means?

C'mon:

You know, We know: Even as a young student you knew how to provoke...

djrikki 
Posted on 10-Dec-2010 10:38:50
#50 ]
Elite Member

@realize

Quote:
With the X1000 coming I was hoping for a next release of os4 with new featuresand a working FF. But this is not to be. :(

He does have a point, although its still unclear when the X1000 will be available for the general public. I've been considering buying a X1000 for well over 6 months now, not having a fully-working version of FF/TW bundled in as part of the deal even if its an older version makes the whole platform seem less appealing. A browser is central to a platform's overall success.

zerohero 
Posted on 10-Dec-2010 11:08:43
#51 ]
Team Member

@ChrisH

Quote:
Please make up your mind! Do you want Hyperion to announce what they are working on, or do you want them to keep quiet until it is ready?

Personally I want them to announce what they're working on. In reality though, it's probably better if they don't.

Quote:
You surely don't want them to release stuff, just because they announced they were working on it a while ago?!? Hyperion has been working on A LOT of stuff, and so just picking out a few things that didn't make it into Update 2 (USB2 & new shell) seems unreasonable. No idea what "updated gfx drivers" you mean.

I think USB2 is quite important today, and should have been a priority, the shell is just a convinience in comparison. With updated gfx drivers I mean the new RadeonHD drivers, haven't heard anything about those in quite some time.

Quote:
I think you are being unreasonable with Firefox/Timberwolf

Well, maybe, and maybe I shouldn't have mentioned it here, since it's a Frieden's project and not Hyperion.

Quote:
Point of fact *you can run Timberwolf right now*

Have you tried it? It's not something I'd consider usable, but whatever floats their boat I guess...

zerohero 
Posted on 10-Dec-2010 11:09:53
#52 ]
Team Member

@Troels

Agreed, also mentioned to ChrisH it shouldn't have been in the list. The rest of my post is still valid, IMO.

zerohero 
Posted on 10-Dec-2010 11:11:25
#53 ]
Team Member

@samo79

Quote:
USB 2.0 support is done

What do you mean with done? There have been no reports of fully working USB2 anywhere?

Quote:
a new shell is done

Same here, it's been shown on AmiWest, but is it done?

wawa 
Posted on 10-Dec-2010 11:25:07
#54 ]
Elite Member

may someone explain to me why is this neccessary to have new shell? vnc shell wasnt good enough? i dont remember if it was included in os4 but if thomas richter was a part of the team then it must have been. it is his fork, isnt it? and in general i dont think any amiga shell is something we have to be ashamed bout in comparison to linux or windows for that matter.

Rogue 
Posted on 10-Dec-2010 12:10:17
#55 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@realize
Quote:
If it took this long to get a Firefox proof of concept alpha, now that they are starting from SCRATCH with new codebase, how long will it take to have the proof of concept alpha of FF4? 2 years?

You do realize (no pun intended) the achievement behind the firefox port, do you? That nobody EVER got that far? We've been waiting for the Firefox 4 codebase to stabilize, it had render issues on Windows and that is not a good point to start. We're not starting from scratch, most of the code is exactly the same

Dandy 
Posted on 10-Dec-2010 12:14:34
#56 ]
Elite Member

@ChrisH
Quote:

ChrisH wrote:
@realize Quote:
Wow big deal. about time. YOu call that news? lol
(snip)

You are doing a good job of proving right the people who called you a troll.

And I note that you failed to respond to my criticism of your thread title (presumably since I was correct & you didn't want to draw attention to it).

Sorry for intercepting your fruitful discussion with realize.

Maybe you overlooked it - but in post #41 I directed some questions to you regarding OS 4.1 classic.

If you (or someone else here) have the information to answer my questions, please share it!

I want to get an A1X1000 with the latest OS 4.x - but until then I would like to expand my old A4k/CSPPC with 256 mB ZoRam and OS 4.1 classic - if it makes sense.

And it would make sense if I wouldn't have to downgrade from USB 2.0 highspeed in OS 3.9/WarpOS to USB 1.1 in OS 4.1 and if I wouldn't have to look for an old RTL networking card to be able to connect to the web with the brandnew OS 4.1 classic, while the old OS 3.9/WarpOS already supports the new RTL chip.

Dandy

Rogue 
Posted on 10-Dec-2010 12:19:57
#57 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@zerohero

Quote:
firefox

Firefox is not a Hyperion project, and I thought we made this abundantly clear. Considering though that any effort so far failed to produce anything but hot air, I can safely say that Thomas and me have done more in that respect than ten years of Amizilla or other projects in that direction.

As I pointed out elsewhere, we've been waiting for the codebase of 4.0 to stabilize. Since we have committed outselves to bringing you the latest version instead of simply going with a specific version, that's a setback that should be quite understandable.

It is beyond me how you could demand this to be finished by now. If at all, people that have donated to the project are entitled to ask for it, and that was exactly the reason why we released the Alpha.

Quote:
I'd say Hyperion == A-Eon, but I'll give you that one.

That's plain and simple wrong. They're different entities.

Rogue 
Posted on 10-Dec-2010 12:25:31
#58 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@realize

Quote:
a troll ...

Quote:
all THE MORONS

Quote:
I also remember retards here BANNING me

How could anybody ever think you are a troll?Seeing how unoffensive you can argue your points.

zerohero 
Posted on 10-Dec-2010 12:30:55
#59 ]
Team Member

@Rogue

Quote:
Firefox is not a Hyperion project

Yes, you'll see I corrected myself above as well, when ChrisH questioned it.

Quote:
It is beyond me how you could demand this to be finished by now.

I don't think I have demanded it to be finished, but I did add it to a list of things I personally consider as future promises. From my point of view, as a user, that list is already quite big, and it seems all we do is wait.

The new shell is a good example. First time I heard about must have been about three years ago. This year I saw a screenshot of it, and heard they showed it at AmiWest. That's about it. Long wait there.

I'll not use FireFox in my next post though, I'll admit it shouldn't have been on the list to begin with.

zerohero 
Posted on 10-Dec-2010 12:31:49
#60 ]
Team Member

@Rogue

Quote:
How could anybody ever think you are a troll?Seeing how unoffensive you can argue your points.

This time he was attacked first, though.

EDIT:
Changed "In this thread" to "This time".

Last edited by zerohero on 10-Dec-2010 at 12:34 PM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle