Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
11 crawler(s) on-line.
 110 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

Allanon,  Beamish2040

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Beamish2040:  1 min ago
 Allanon:  2 mins ago
 Hypex:  6 mins ago
 amigagr:  14 mins ago
 OlafS25:  38 mins ago
 AmigaMac:  46 mins ago
 amigakit:  53 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 27 mins ago
 Maijestro:  1 hr 36 mins ago
 Rudei:  1 hr 49 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  [Poll] Is X1000 vaporware?...take 2
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Poll : Is X1000 Vaporware by Wikipedias definition?
Yes
No

PosterThread
jas_mc 
Re: [Poll] Is X1000 vaporware?...take 2
Posted on 27-Jan-2011 20:52:11
#121 ]

@AmigaHeretic

Not sure I get it... what's the problem with the photoshopped image of the boing ball case?

The custom case wasn't real when they released the image, but it's real now, and it looks pretty much exactly like the image showed it would. Here it is at the Amigazoom event in Switzerland.

I can't imagine anyone who was "fooled" by the concept art being disappointed by the real thing. The only difference I can see is that the Amigaone logo goes directly on the surface of the case, rather than being a shiny stuck-on badge (which looks better, imho).

I think you should retract this particular complaint against A-Eon. They released some concept art that has turned out to be fair and releastic. I think most people who have an interest in the X1000 are pleased that they got an accurate (albeit photoshopped) preview of the case.

Profile     Report this post  
AmigaHeretic 
Posted on 28-Jan-2011 1:45:17
#122 ]

@jas_mc

Twist my words however you guys want. I'm saying it was in poor taste to take someone else's photo, in this case a picture directly off another website, and then Photoshop it and then pass it off as yours. Many people thought that case was real. Then came to find out it was the exact photo ripped from a website with the led light color photoshopped and logo embossed. Whether they made a version of the case is a moot point. Taking others work and posting it as your own (albeit modified) is not a great process to take.

Double talk all you want but this forum was throwing a hissy fit when Commodore USA did the same thing.

Samwel 
Posted on 28-Jan-2011 2:37:26
#123 ]
Elite Member

@AmigaHeretic

Difference being A-eon is doing business with the owner of the original picture.
So maybe they are allowed to use some pictures of the case and even manipulated
ones?!? Seems reasonable to me anyway.
Can't even compare with what CUSA did.

[SOLD] µA1-C - 750GX 800MHz - 512MB - Antec Aria case

trans 
Posted on 28-Jan-2011 4:32:30
#124 ]

@AmigaHeretic

I don't see how it can be anything but vaporware since Apple bought PA-Semi. The PWRficient chip is awesome, no doubt. But it's pretty clear that it's run won't last. So at best the X1000 as designed will have a very short shelf life; and if it's not released soon... well the availability window of that CPUis only getting smaller. In fact, I'm wouldn't be surprised if it's already on the verge of closing.

What will they do when they can't get CPU anymore?

AmigaHeretic 
Posted on 28-Jan-2011 4:38:46
#125 ]

@trans

Quote:

trans wrote:
@AmigaHeretic

I don't see how it can be anything but vaporware since Apple bought PA-Semi. The PWRficient chip is awesome, no doubt. But it's pretty clear that it's run won't last. So at best the X1000 as designed will have a very short shelf life; and if it's not released soon... well the availability window of that CPUis only getting smaller. In fact, I'm wouldn't be surprised if it's already on the verge of closing.

What will they do when they can't get CPU anymore?

Photoshop something else?

AmigaHeretic 
Posted on 28-Jan-2011 5:18:51
#126 ]

@jas_mc

And just to set the record straight those images are of a "home made" case that Relec brought. Nothing to do with A-Eon.

jas_mc 
Posted on 28-Jan-2011 22:52:40
#127 ]

@AmigaHeretic

Oh, really? My mistake, how disappointing - I hope the final case looks as smart as that :) Since I don't know any better (and wasn't at the AmigaZoom event) I will retract that claim/ eat my words.

Back to your other points briefly - namely, the photoshopped case:

"I know people thought it was real (still think?) and no effort was made to say otherwise."

Not true - here's a frank response from TrevorDick in May 2010, shortly after the images were circulated:

"The 'Boing Ball' graphic is obviously a mock up"

Just pause to digest that :P

"...but it's the artwork that was sent to the case manufacturers to enable them to assess the practicalities and cost the design."

So, that at least is one for you to retract (fair's fair - I retracted mine).

You also said:

"Double talk all you want but this forum was throwing a hissy fit when Commodore USA did the same thing."

Claiming that this is the same as Commodore USA's misapppropriation of the Fantasy case graphic is pretty much a prime example of "double talk" (which I'm taking to mean nonsense).

Before I launch into this by the way, I'm absolutely baffled that you're choosing to fixate on this when there are genuinely debateable things to do with the whole X1000 project (namely the price, the decision to stick with PPC, the fact that the CPU has already gone the way of the dinosaur, the slipping dates, and the wire transfers of money for the beta testing scheme). The fact that they released a mock-up of the case really is a non-issue :)

But anyway, for what it's worth...

A-Eon proved at the Vintage Computing Festival that they really are working on a single project: a custom motherboard that fits inside a particular commercially available PC case. They have said that they are going to stick their own embossed logo on the case. The claim at the heart of the photoshopped image - that they are going to put a custom logo on a normal PC case - is hardly unrealistic, as proven by the fact that someone has already done it!

To show the manufacturer what they wanted, A-Eon roughed up some concept art using an existing image of the case combined with their logo. We would have all done exactly the same. They later released the same image to the public, and when there was discussion about it, quickly clarified that it was just a mock-up. They didn't do anything that other companies don't do, except be honest about the photoshopping! :)

So we're talking about a real mock-up from real business discussions associated with a realistic proposal to stick a logo on the front of a case.

Compare and contrast to CommodoreUSA. CommodoreUSA were not in talks with the owner of the image that they used. The image was a piece of fan art (to my knowledge), not a promotional image attached to a real product that they may or may not have been working with. CommodoreUSA were not (and still aren't) actively working on making a case that even remotely resembles that (at best, it's on their notional things-to-do list; at worst, they literally just took a picture that someone had had made and stuck it on their site, to create the illusion of a non-existant project).

CommodoreUSA are pulling together and starting to look more credible, but at the time, they seemed to be just trawling the web for anything that looked remotely like an all-in-one PC or an Amiga, calling it a Commodore Something, and sticking it on their site. That is NOT the same as posting a mock-up that you've photoshopped yourself, in consultation with the copyright owner, and then quickly clarifying that it's only a mock-up when people aren't sure.

For the record, I do have goodwill towards A-Eon and TrevorDick especially, but I'm not a potential customer for the X1000 since the price started to creep up.

On the other hand, I am an occasional Linux user and would like a dedicated Linux box, and the idea of a strongly branded Commodore Amiga PC with a custom Workbench-like Linux distro/gui would normally be very appealing. Sadly, the company alienated me so I won't be a potential customer for that either :(

wawa 
Posted on 28-Jan-2011 23:05:37
#128 ]
Elite Member

in the meantime, the gap narrows... hmm..

Kicko 
Posted on 28-Jan-2011 23:13:26
#129 ]
Elite Member

who cares about the case. i would happily buy the mobo only with os4

Last edited by Kicko on 28-Jan-2011 at 11:13 PM.

sundown 
Posted on 28-Jan-2011 23:42:05
#130 ]
Elite Member

Can't wait....

AmigaHeretic 
Posted on 29-Jan-2011 4:20:56
#131 ]

@jas_mc

Quote:

jas_mc wrote:
@AmigaHeretic

Not true - here's a frank response from TrevorDick in May 2010, shortly after the images were circulated:

"The 'Boing Ball' graphic is obviously a mock up"

Just pause to digest that :P

Link to an official quote?

It's funny how you claim no one was misled, yet you posted that same pic over at Amiga.org and the very first response was that it looked different then the "real A-Eon" case.

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showpost.php?p=585259&postcount=71

sundown 
Posted on 29-Jan-2011 4:44:55
#132 ]
Elite Member

@AmigaHeretic

It's called "proof of concept"

"A proof of concept or a proof of principle is realization of a certain method or idea(s) to demonstrate its feasibility,[1] or a demonstration in principle, whose purpose is to verify that some concept or theory is probably capable of being useful. A proof-of-concept may or may not be complete, and is usually small and incomplete."

Many companies do it, so give it a rest.

AmigaHeretic 
Posted on 29-Jan-2011 5:54:06
#133 ]

@sundown

Quote:

sundown wrote:
@AmigaHeretic

It's called "proof of concept"

"A proof of concept or a proof of principle is realization of a certain method or idea(s) to demonstrate its feasibility,[1]

I read your quote and it makes total sense. Just saying, "prove your concept" *before* announcing release date after release date after release date.

Amigo1 
Posted on 29-Jan-2011 6:25:56
#134 ]

@AmigaHeretic

I'm really wondering which verbal stunt you are going to perform once the A1X1K is released..

sundown 
Posted on 29-Jan-2011 6:27:56
#135 ]
Elite Member

@AmigaHeretic

Proof of concept only makes sense before release, not after. Every big company will show a model of a new product they have planned before any release date is given. Proof of concept doesn't lock a company into a design & allows them to make changes for public release.

As far as missing the release time frame last year, I have a good idea why, but I'll just keep quiet. Any & all information can & will be used aganst them.

Even Trevor doesn't post here anymore, but easy to contact in private.

You claim you have no ill feelings toward Trevor, but you keep finding new ways to mock him & his company. A contradiction to be sure, so why not just move on & drop the a-eon rants.

AmigaHeretic 
Posted on 29-Jan-2011 6:43:33
#136 ]

@sundown

Quote:

sundown wrote:
@AmigaHeretic

Every big company will show a model of a new product they have planned before any release date is given.

100% totally agreed. I think you are just restating what I said though, I'll just quote what you said, "show a model of a new product they have planned before any release date is given."

AmigaHeretic 
Posted on 29-Jan-2011 6:46:36
#137 ]

@Amigo1

Quote:

Amigo1 wrote:
@AmigaHeretic

I'm really wondering which verbal stunt you are going to perform once the A1X1K is released..

Ha ha Me too. Of course people have been asking that since February of last year.

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=30916&forum=33&68

Rudei 
Posted on 29-Jan-2011 7:50:03
#138 ]
Elite Member

@AmigaHeretic

You're basically out to cause trouble for a product you don't think should be released and trying to wind people up in the process. Pretty pathetic in my opinion that you've got nothing better to do than carry on this ridiculous crusade.

Do us all a favour, go and do something constructive with your time. If you put half as much effort as you do this into something productive, you'd probably be a millionnaire (perhaps you are already, and are bored hence this constant bitching about whether a product that has not yet been released and missed it's release date is vaporware or not.)

So you don't agree with it? Big deal, go bitch about it down the pub.

You really are a sad individual for carrying this on.

Rude!

AmigaHeretic 
Posted on 29-Jan-2011 7:54:44
#139 ]

@Rudei

I have my opinions and voice just as you do Rudei. I'm sad for you that you want to silence others.

Rudei 
Posted on 29-Jan-2011 7:57:55
#140 ]
Elite Member

@AmigaHeretic

Quote:

AmigaHeretic wrote:
@Rudei

I have my opinions and voice just as you do Rudei. I'm sad for you that you want to silence others.

I have no intention of silencing you, it's just you won't leave alone and are trying to wind people up - you know exactly what you are doing.

Rude!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle