Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
22 crawler(s) on-line.
 108 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigang:  5 mins ago
 VooDoo:  8 mins ago
 RobertB:  10 mins ago
 OlafS25:  35 mins ago
 Hypex:  53 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  4 hrs 17 mins ago
 amigakit:  5 hrs 50 mins ago
 Hammer:  6 hrs 40 mins ago
 Rob:  7 hrs 17 mins ago
 billt:  7 hrs 26 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  [Poll] Is X1000 vaporware?...take 2
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Poll : Is X1000 Vaporware by Wikipedias definition?
Yes
No

PosterThread
persia 
Re: [Poll] Is X1000 vaporware?...take 2
Posted on 24-Jan-2011 21:47:46
#81 ]

@amigang

By Wikipedia's definition yes, of course it is.

The definition is:

Vaporware describes products, usually computer hardware or software, not released on the date announced by their developer, or announced months or years before their release.

A-Eon was to release the X1000 before the end of Northern Hemisphere Summer, it's now Northern Winter, so it's vapourware by Wikipedia standards...

Profile     Report this post  
NovaCoder 
Posted on 24-Jan-2011 22:04:55
#82 ]

Ok so technically it is vaporware then

I wonder who came up with that Summer 2010 release date, obviously they didn't understand how long it would take to get a new computer to retail.

I still think it will be released one day although I don't see how they could possibly sell enough of them to make a reasonable return on their investment.

Last edited by NovaCoder on 24-Jan-2011 at 10:05 PM.

Mechanic 
Posted on 24-Jan-2011 22:19:06
#83 ]
Elite Member

@NovaCoder

Quote:

NovaCoder wrote:

I still think it will be released one day although I don't see how they could possibly sell enough of them to make a reasonable return on their investment.

Yeah, that could be a problem. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to buy two.

Nicsoft 
Posted on 24-Jan-2011 23:55:39
#84 ]

@Deniil715

Quote:
OOH! Like your avatar! A SAAB and an Amiga is all you need to feel good

Well... SAAB is the equivalent to Amiga among cars!
Innovative and ahead of its time (just like the Amiga)!

Some innovations are listed here:
http://www.saabsunited.com/2005/12/saab-innovations.html

itix 
Posted on 25-Jan-2011 1:23:49
#85 ]
Elite Member

@Nicsoft

Quote:

Well... SAAB is the equivalent to Amiga among cars!

Could this be used to explain why their cars are still from 80s?

AmigaHeretic 
Posted on 25-Jan-2011 1:28:02
#86 ]

@OldFart

Quote:

OldFart wrote:
@wawa

Any business entity has to act professionally in order to gain some credibillity.

I'm not saying Trevor doesn't have a lot of heart and that he doesn't have the best of intentions. I am saying this thing has been mishandled from the beginning, continues to be mis-handled, and not so much as an explanation, apology, nothing. Just a new date goes up on a website with not a word uttered.

And not to get into name calling, but that is my main gripe with A-Eon/Trevor Dickson, they haven't acted professionally.

The website announcement for starters. Trevor said, at some point last year, that they had only just received the very first board a week or two before the New Year website went up. I think releasing an announcement that boards would be shipping before Summer was unprofessional given this information.

By the Amiga show near Summer last year, Trevor tells us they just got AmigaOS4 to boot that morning (day before maybe), and yet he updates the website to say it will be shipping in Summer, which is < 3 months. To me not very professional.

In these times above we are talking about an alpha board with the OS just barely booting. We aren't anywhere near a stable OS, drivers, getting hardware issues sorted out for a beta run, more testing, etc.

For nearly an entire year, they weren't even at a stage where they were even officially ready announce the CPU type, let alone release a product.

Most of this could be avoided with open communication. I won't even go into this pre-order business stage we are at now.

But the announcements with no information, followed by mysterious unannounced deadline changes is what irks me. Only because it's happened so many times. I think someone that can't understand the history of this all to familiar Amiga "Awesome New Hardware" cycle and has now repeated it yet again, is acting in an unprofessional manner.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 25-Jan-2011 1:41:34
#87 ]
Elite Member

@AmigaHeretic

Eyetech did at least as many mistakes if not more, yet they did deliver hardware.

Of course if you don't like to X1000, you can always buy Sam460 from Acube-Systems.
If you don't like beta test program, then wait for it to be done like me, no risk in doing that.

If your just a heretic that does not like Amiga at all then maybe you should find you self a nice Linux, Windows or Mac forum to argue on.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 25-Jan-2011 at 01:48 AM.

AmigaHeretic 
Posted on 25-Jan-2011 1:55:20
#88 ]

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:

NutsAboutAmiga wrote:
@AmigaHeretic

Eyetech did at least as many mistakes if not more, yet they did deliver hardware.

I totally agree and I think you would find very few people that would honestly say the A1 process was handled professionally.

Quote:

Of course if you don't like to X1000, you can always buy Sam460 from Acube-Systems.
If you don't like beta test program, then wait for it to be done like me, no risk in doing that.

Yeah, but that's not entirely the point, also there's fact that I technically can't buy AmigaOS4 for a Sam460. How much time/resources has the X1000 sucked up? Would more people be buying Sam460s today if the X1000 hadn't been marketed like it has? Would more resources have gone to people that already spent their money on Sam440s to get USB 2.0 working, etc?

Hard to say.

umisef 
Posted on 25-Jan-2011 2:58:47
#89 ]

@NovaCoder

Quote:
I wonder who came up with that Summer 2010 release date, obviously they didn't understand how long it would take to get a new computer to retail.

Say hello to Ben Hermans, aka "HyperionMP", I suspect.

Although the cynical side of me wonders whether it really was ignorance/ineptitude that resulted in the unrealistic schedule...

umisef 
Posted on 25-Jan-2011 2:59:50
#90 ]

@persia

Quote:
A-Eon was to release the X1000 before the end of Northern Hemisphere Summer,

Start of summer, actually. As in, "you won't have to wait till summer".

Dandy 
Posted on 25-Jan-2011 8:24:56
#91 ]
Elite Member

@OldFart

Quote:

OldFart wrote:
@Deniil715

With respect to cars and motorcycles alike I have a deep love for rear wheel drive.

Same here at my end...

Quote:

OldFart wrote:

Until now the only ones from a list of 15+ that listened to the steeringwheel by pushing the accelerator. The odd frontwheel driven ones I had or used made me sometimes very nervous...

OldFart

I love to get around the corners on a snowy road just by pushing the accelerator a bit more. If I wouldn't use the wheelspin and tried to get around the corner just by using the steering wheel the car would understeer.
I love it - its like luging with a car...

Dandy

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 25-Jan-2011 9:21:50
#92 ]
Elite Member

@umisef

Revision 2 Nemo was announced 20th July 2010, along whit the beta test program.

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=53721

I know Trevor Dickinson on new-year hopped it was going to be completed in summer, I guess things changed, was it too early to announce X1000?

OldFart 
Posted on 25-Jan-2011 9:25:54
#93 ]
Elite Member
From: Stad; en d'r is moar ain stad en da's Stad. Makkelk zat!

@Dandy

Quote:
I love to get around the corners on a snowy road just by pushing the accelerator a bit more. If I wouldn't use the wheelspin and tried to get around the corner just by using the steering wheel the car would understeer.
I love it - its like luging with a car...

+1!
That's really great fun. The knowledge and experience that you still can control a car with all wheels moving sideways, just WOW!

OldFart

amigang 
Posted on 25-Jan-2011 9:46:00
#94 ]
Elite Member

I have to grudgingly agree with most of the comments. It would of been nice if Hyperion and Aeon had just been a bit more open about the project from the start and where it was up to, maybe due to partnerships or various deals they couldn't be. I think things are starting to change with the open Hyperion blog we get a better understanding of where AmigaOS4 developments are up to and what developers are working on, it be great just to see a report of where they are up to with the AmigaOne project.

I pretty sure no one involved set out to deceive the Amiga community, I remember the AmigaOne photoshop scam (http://a-eon.com/pics/A1_X1000_case.jpg) all because the photo they had of the board wasn't professional so decided to do that instead, it was a mistake which Tever quickly realized and just posted the poor photo and everyone was happy.

It the perfect example of how Amiga users dont want to messed about with and would just like the truth, what ever the reason for the beta boards delay, could be just drivers not ready yet, or changes in the board designs or problem being found, or just waiting on suppliers, or maybe due to agreements they are not allowed to say or simple they where over ambitious at how fast they could arrange all this to happen, after all they are only small business organizing a big operation.

What ever the reason I dont really care, I dont think most user will care as long as it just happens and it is a high quality product. They should of use the very unprofessional but very liked used phased in the Amiga land.

wawa 
Posted on 25-Jan-2011 13:18:15
#95 ]
Elite Member

its all failed politics of hyperion in my opinion. x1k has no justification other than to run this os. it really acts as a dongle. on the contrary when amiga was developed it was developed as hardware, the new os os had to be developed, since there was no (free) os able to handle that revolutionary hardware at that time.

today os4 team jealously avoids cooperation with other amiga follow ups (aros/mos) even where possible, avoiding common solutions that could consolidate and speed up the developments of all these systems. look at usb stack, look at zune. numerous other examples. even for fear to lose their "genuine" identity it looks to me like an absolute lack of vision. incorporating these solutions in their design they would gain strength and could take the short, but well, they prefer to keep people waiting for ages.

btw im not trying to tell that if one person can dig a trench in one hour then hundert could do the same in 1minute. most of the community would like to participate, but are not able effectively to do much (like me). but i think there is no people left in the scene that would not regard, that "amiga" belongs to them in some way. at least a feeling of having influence and being part of it should be maintained to keep them interested. it is a big fault hiding in a basement and locking everybody else out. the credibility suffers such an approach.

Last edited by wawa on 25-Jan-2011 at 01:18 PM.

pavlor 
Posted on 25-Jan-2011 13:41:42
#96 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Quote:
x1k has no justification other than to run this os.

PA6T CPU is for me nearly as interesting as OS4.

Quote:
today os4 team jealously avoids cooperation with other amiga follow ups

I wonder, who has needed documentation for SCSI on Blizzard603e+ ? I don´t think it is Hyperion...

I hope X1000 will be for sale in time of my birthday.

wawa 
Posted on 25-Jan-2011 14:19:59
#97 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor

the docmentation for that scsi chip is widely available since 15 years if i am to trust frank wille who posted it on amiga-news. even debian68k has a driver for it. not to speak about a cyberstorm driver that exists, so it is no fault of mos team holding back docs, if there is no support for blizzard scsi. because this is what you obviously believe.

pavlor 
Posted on 25-Jan-2011 14:34:07
#98 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Source?

persia 
Posted on 25-Jan-2011 15:23:33
#99 ]

@pavlor

The Apple chip in the X1000 is walking dead. In two years or so it will be dead dead. Apple was persuaded by the US gov't to continue the chip for a few more years. Taking a year to port to dead end hardware does not seem to be a sensible move.

I tend to agree, the hardware is a big dongle priced at a rate that makes the Apple store look like a discount shop.

pavlor 
Posted on 25-Jan-2011 15:30:20
#100 ]
Elite Member

@persia

Quote:
The Apple chip in the X1000 is walking dead

Sounds familiar...

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle