Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
14 crawler(s) on-line.
 125 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 ktadd:  6 mins ago
 MichaelMerkel:  9 mins ago
 zipper:  34 mins ago
 matthey:  51 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 5 mins ago
 Hypex:  1 hr 29 mins ago
 1Mouse:  1 hr 39 mins ago
 Allanon:  1 hr 44 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 51 mins ago
 VooDoo:  2 hrs 3 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga Inc. offshoot
      /  Workbench 5 = AROS?
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
PosterThread
fatman2021 
Workbench 5 = AROS?
Posted on 23-Jan-2011 4:51:16
#1 ]

What do you think? Does Workbench 5 = AROS?

Last edited by fatman2021 on 23-Jan-2011 at 04:51 AM.

Profile     Report this post  
mbrantley 
Re: Workbench 5 = AROS?
Posted on 23-Jan-2011 4:53:54
#2 ]
Cult Member

No.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 23-Jan-2011 5:04:28
#3 ]
Elite Member

@fatman2021

Workbench 5 = Linux

BigBentheAussie 
Posted on 23-Jan-2011 5:13:58
#4 ]

@fatman2021

See our F.A.Q..

jahc 
Posted on 23-Jan-2011 5:36:24
#5 ]
Elite Member

@BigBentheAussie

Is this F.A.Q trying to sound appealing to anyone interested in anything Amiga-like?

Wizzard_o 
Posted on 23-Jan-2011 8:40:50
#6 ]
Cult Member
From: UK, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Solar System, Alpha Quadrant, The Milky-Way, Universe. 1.1.1.3.44.HP

@BigBentheAussie

A Power PC is not powerful enough for 'Workbench 5'? That doesn’t sound very Amiga to me. A true Amiga OS is light on resources, Its an efficient OS that doesn’t require massive CPU power to keep it running. Linux however is a resources hog.

Just say; Its just a generic PC running a hacked Linux ditsro that looks like Amiga OS. It has ZERO compatibility or historic links with a real Amiga Computer unless you 'emulate' it with an undisclosed 68k emulator oh, and the main reason it's going to be called 'Workbench 5' is to undermine Amiga OS4.x.

It's just another Linux PC your supposedly making to cash in on a disgruntled community, nothing to do with Real Amiga here....(well, except the case sticker covering up the true manufacturer's badge)

Wizz.

acefnq 
Posted on 23-Jan-2011 9:06:46
#7 ]
Cult Member

@BigBentheAussie
So lets get this straight. Workbench 5 will be Linux, themed. Running Linux programs, using Linux kernel and drivers on an architecture AmigaOS has never run on and with with no Amiga heritige at all. Why then do you call it Workbench 5? Where are your Worbenches 1-4?

Give me a break, you will need some damn good used car salesmen working for you to sell these novelty PCs but personally I hope Commodore US go belly up as a result of trying to steal the Amiga heritage.

ace

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 23-Jan-2011 9:41:26
#8 ]

Mac OS X also did a break with the tradition. I worked nicely for them.
AmigaOID OS is too outdated to use today. A complete rewrite would be needed. Might as well use something more modern from the start.

rebraist 
Posted on 23-Jan-2011 9:49:18
#9 ]

@all:
i'm not in the number of those who will easily buy a commodore pc.
but let's see reality: if commodore sells a good number of machines (and i hope fot them so), there's a litlle opportunity for amiga ppc to be seen on mainstream computer press not only in retro, vapor, abandon, hobbystic pages.
Another thing: why is commodore worse than acube or aeon that sell old and low spec'd ppcs to absurd prizes condemning amiga to total death because people can't afford it and when they can afford it, discover that the "official" os doesn't allow them to, at least, properly surf on the web? yes! but you have offical amiga!...

Kicko 
Posted on 23-Jan-2011 9:59:09
#10 ]
Elite Member

@rebraist

why is commodore worst ? Have you missed something. Acube runs amigaos4.x, commodore doesnt. I already have a laptop here with windows7 and i can install linux or whatever on it. Dont need to by anything branded with amiga that dont run amigaos. I have winuae and Aros on it too :)

Maybe users like eXec will buy this commodore computer or two and imagine they use the real amiga :)

Troels 
Posted on 23-Jan-2011 10:02:21
#11 ]
Elite Member

@rebraist
If AmigaOS4.x is not enough for you and your hobby or everyday work and you really wanted a new and modern OS why wait for another Linux distro?

There are plenty of alternatives that are available today and probably just as productive as the rumoured WB5.

Commodore is worse than other companies because they try to market a product as something different than it really is. If they sticked to selling PC's as PC's (eventually in retro cases) it would be fine by me, but what they are trying to market have nothing to do with Amiga as I know and love it.

AmigaPapst 
Posted on 23-Jan-2011 10:07:22
#12 ]
Cult Member

@fatman2021

Definitely no. AROS has nothing to do with the real AmigaOS or Workbench.

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 23-Jan-2011 10:07:38
#13 ]

@Troels

I do not seem them trying to market something different than it is. They're selling PCs. Amiga is and was a PC.

They're aspiring to try something different with the AMIGA brand, a new direction which was not tried before(in the last 15 years since Commodore went belly up). It might fail, it might not...

BTW, how nice it is that today a big part of the software and drivers on AmigaOIDs come from - LINUX... and yet here we have some members whining about basing WB X on that very same OS. My, my... what nice double standards we have here

Kicko 
Posted on 23-Jan-2011 10:40:35
#14 ]
Elite Member

Last edited by Kicko on 23-Jan-2011 at 10:47 AM.
Last edited by Kicko on 23-Jan-2011 at 10:41 AM.

opi 
Posted on 23-Jan-2011 10:49:55
#15 ]
Team Member

@Wizzard_o

Quote:
A Power PC is not powerful enough for 'Workbench 5'?

MC86K is not powerful enough to run OS 4.1? Just saying.

Brian 
Posted on 23-Jan-2011 10:50:36
#16 ]

Why wait around for C=USA to get their logistics sorted out when you cand just pick a Zero-Footprint-PC or order your own "unike" chassi + motherboard combo, install XAmiga and slap a sticker on it?

acefnq 
Posted on 23-Jan-2011 10:54:27
#17 ]
Cult Member

@WolfToTheMoon

Yes some software was derived from Linux or Unix (as most Linux software derives from). I am not aware of any OS4 drivers being derived from Linux but I may be wrong BUT there is a big difference OS4, AROS or MOS do not pretend to be Linux, we don't badge our machines as Linux nor try to steal the Linux heritage.

What Commodore is doing is akin to fraud, badging HW as an Amiga and trying to convince the consumer that Workbench 5 has some sort of linkage to the Amiga which it clearly doesn't. Good luck if you fall for this. Of course the pattern fits lovely if they have made a deal with the sham operators Amiga Inc.

It would be easier and cheaper to skin Gnome, KDE or any of the other Linux/Unix based desktops and pretend they are running an AmigaOS derivative, of course you will have to buy an Amiga sticker to pretend with you HW.

ace

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 23-Jan-2011 11:06:58
#18 ]

@acefnq

Quote:
What Commodore is doing is akin to fraud, badging HW as an Amiga and trying to convince the consumer that Workbench 5 has some sort of linkage to the Amiga which it clearly doesn't. Good luck if you fall for this

I'm perfectly aware of what Commodore USA is doing and I like it...

AmiDelf2 
Posted on 23-Jan-2011 11:18:26
#19 ]

@Commodore USA

What are you doing to Amiga? What kind of reputation are you making? Why are you destroying EVERYTHING that has to do with what Amiga Community is about?

You might have the Commodore name in your company name, but YOU are even worse than the old Commodore. Your worse than Medhi Ali that wanted to kill Amiga totally. Your even worse than Sun Microsystems which had BIG plans for Amiga and had plans to bundle AmigaOS and UNIX on future AmigaUX models! Your worse than Samsung which wanted to make Samsung based Amigas and your even worse than iWin hoax.

If you dont get your minds tougether and either co-operate with AROS team, Hyperion or MorphOS Team you Loose! because I feel ashamed about companies like YOU want to destroy Amiga with a Linux distro. This was Gateway plans too and thats one of reasons Jim Collas left Gateway and Amiga Technologies back in days. Stop destroying this. You have the potential!.. Your website isn't bad at all. Its great, but your Amiga vision is completly wrong! It has nothing to do with Amiga roots and as long you dont show dedication to todays scene you will have a tough time. The poor souls aiming at your products will be cheated. Real Amigas is done by Acube today and the SAM440p boards. Same with AmigaOne X1000 if it ever comes out. Also MorphOS is aiming at the cheap mac ppc marked.

If you aim at x86, then you should atleast go for AROS!!!! Minimum requirement. I wish you the best, but at the same time dont try to fool x-Amigans. Just dont! Please...

Kicko 
Posted on 23-Jan-2011 11:26:35
#20 ]
Elite Member

@AmiDelf2

+1

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle