Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
17 crawler(s) on-line.
 131 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

AmigaMac

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 AmigaMac:  2 mins ago
 amigakit:  34 mins ago
 A1200:  1 hr 42 mins ago
 michalsc:  1 hr 47 mins ago
 OlafS25:  2 hrs 46 mins ago
 clint:  2 hrs 50 mins ago
 amigang:  4 hrs 1 min ago
 Tpod:  4 hrs 41 mins ago
 pixie:  4 hrs 46 mins ago
 Birbo:  5 hrs ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga Inc. offshoot
      /  Workbench 5 = AROS?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
PosterThread
LoneHaranguer 
Re: Workbench 5 = AROS?
Posted on 24-Jan-2011 8:43:00
#121 ]

CUSA's offering seems too much like the iWin, or, worse, like the idea that Amiga Technologies were threatening us with when Gateway were still planning to produce an 'Amiga'.

I'm interested in AROS, AmigaOS 4.1 and MorphOS, as all the OSs have the spirit of the Amiga.

CUSA have the rights to the name, but they have none of the spirit of Amiga. I'm already running Linux and Windows. I don't need to spend a fortune on yet another Linux box with a few add-ons that I could easily download myself for free - particularly as I wouldn't bother downloading those add-ons.

I'm looking forward to the X1000, and I've got my eye out for an G4 Mac so I can run MorphOS. I'm waiting for the next update to AROS (and for the delivery of my new external HDD) to start running AROS. But nothing would induce me to even considerr CUSA's offering.

It's just not Amiga.

Profile     Report this post  
sundown 
Posted on 24-Jan-2011 8:57:24
#122 ]
Elite Member

@eXec

Quote:
where did you saw that I mentioned the word "face" ?

Let me see if I can help you understand. I see you edited your post #55 & edited out the word that got you a warning. The "in your face" saying means you used a phrase or word that can offend people. I did notice when I read your post, but I don't react to that word anymore, but some do & the thread could have gotten ugly.

I will admit, its getting hard to write a post at times & have ppl read it in the the same way it was thought out because of one word.

linnar 
Posted on 24-Jan-2011 8:58:11
#123 ]
Cult Member

@Amigo1

Quote:

Amigo1 wrote:
@linnar

Quote:

But when I tested OS4 a year ago, I was a bit disappointed.

But most of all, I have realized at AmigaOS is far too small a market and the PPC for PC just does not evolve anymore. I am a programmer and want there to be an outlet for what I develop.

I see no future in this project more than a hobby stuff for survivors.

I would like to know what exactly did disappoint you. For how long did you use it?

greets
linnar˙˙

I'm a bit unfair on OS4.
I tested just about half an hour.
The problem was that I restart the computer twice.

Can not remember what the problem was but the owner said something about the connected hardware.

serk118 
Posted on 24-Jan-2011 9:40:09
#124 ]
Cult Member

@LoneHaranguer

Quote:
I'm interested in AROS, AmigaOS 4.1 and MorphOS, as all the OSs have the spirit

i feel the same if none of them 3 than linux is not amiga or is not based on amigas api at all than
its not amiga its just a another linux distro has amiga theme which they think they can sell while
there are ubuntu why would people use amiga themed not amiga but linux on C=US HW.

If you got the money than get Aros and do a bit of magic work because its already ready to boot any hw or OS4/Morphos port than you are talking if not than you are not going to sell linux. (maybe few but not alot)

I will ask
why dont you take Aros/morphos/os4 cummunity behind you instead of turning your back by using linux?

http://serk118.blogspot.com/

Panthro 
Posted on 24-Jan-2011 11:24:21
#125 ]

@BigBentheAussie

Quote:
Would you rather we had called it Workbench 4 and confused everyone?

I would rather you not use misleading conventions.

Quote:
You might as well tell Hyperion to go with AmigaOS 2012 or Hyperion OS 1.2.

I dont see why they are the official developers of AmigaOS 4.X and beyond. guess the real WB5 will be their handy work.

Quote:
We'll be using the name that makes sense for us.

it makes sense for you because it's misleading.
"Joe end user utilizing his leet Google skills will never click on a lower version number OS/GUI than the latest & so will not discover the nature of things."

I personally feel that this convention is harmful to your company as it gives the impression that you just had a chuckle and though it would be a great little stunt.

I seem to recall that a certain X86 accelerator failed to be welcomed by the community too.

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 24-Jan-2011 11:49:17
#126 ]

@Panthro

Quote:
I seem to recall that a certain X86 accelerator failed to be welcomed by the community too.

I seem to recall this was not the first try to get AMIGA with linux/UNIX. I also seem to remember the community, which was WAY, WAY bigger back then, having the same reaction as today. Oh noez, not Linux, it is not teh AMIGA!!1!!1! And the idiots in charge listened to the community instead listening to common sense. To what end? Well, today, when yet another try is made to get Linux/UNIX into the AMIGA scene, we're having the same reaction. Only, this time, as a direct result of the first anti-linux revolt, it's not tens of thousands users that are revolting, but rather few hundreds.

Metalheart 
Posted on 24-Jan-2011 12:58:13
#127 ]
Elite Member

As always.... I wasn't planning on posting here, but hey... the flesh is weak...

Picking linux with an Amiga apearance ans emulator is NO AmigaOS !!
You might aswel pick Windows with an Amiga theme and UAE and call that an AmigaOS !

Ridicilous ! IMHO.

I can't deny that I also feel that an x86 OS coulkd be a very good move (that is Hyperions OS4 running on x86, just to be clear on this) But it won't happen, get over it !
And yes, Amithlon was a great idea ! It should have been adopted for the way forward to an x86 AmigaOS. But that also didn't happen. Get over it !

Martin

That as soon as you're born you're dying

opi 
Posted on 24-Jan-2011 13:12:50
#128 ]
Team Member

@Metalheart

Quote:

Right, their OS is called Workbench. Not AmigaOS. Do Hyperion own Workbench trademark?

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 24-Jan-2011 13:14:01
#129 ]

@Metalheart

Quote:

It isn't, I agree. It's something far better for today's market. And down the road it might become a distinctive OS by itself. And like it or not, it will be the new official OS of Commodore Amiga. IMHO, a decision that should have been made 12 years ago. Even QNX would have been a great choice from a technical standpoint, but less so from a commercial one.

listening to community is always a very risky way of doing business. You make some of their suggestions but never allow them to make decisions for you. Like Jack Tramiel said, Business is war! In war, one man must lead, others must follow.

Last edited by WolfToTheMoon on 24-Jan-2011 at 01:15 PM.

Hypex 
Posted on 24-Jan-2011 13:20:17
#130 ]
Elite Member

@acefnq

Quote:
So lets get this straight. Workbench 5 will be Linux, themed. Running Linux programs, using Linux kernel and drivers on an architecture AmigaOS has never run on and with with no Amiga heritige at all.

I have come across some people, some on this forum IIRC, that think AmigaOS should be hosted on Linux. And therefore inherit the multi-CPU, multi-threading and what ever else is multi design of the OS.

And it has been said that AmigaOS was based on Unix, so similar to Linux. Some people even thought that AmigaOS was Unix or some clone of it.

Wasn't Amiga throwing around some idea to host AmigaOS on QNX? I know we had that AmigaOS emulator on QNX. And Amithlon ran on Linux.

So there's your AmigaOS linkage to Linux.

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 24-Jan-2011 13:24:00
#131 ]

@Hypex

QNX kernel was planned to be the base of the next gen Amiga OS way back in the late 90s while Gateway was running the show.
Then they switched to Linux shortly after for various reasons. And soon after they god rid of the almost entire AMIGA business.

A great opportunity missed. Even QNX as a base would be great.

Metalheart 
Posted on 24-Jan-2011 13:24:46
#132 ]
Elite Member

Me liking it or not is not important.

Allright you are not calling it AmigaOS, but you are marketing it as THE new Amigalike OS.
Therefore my Windows analogy stands.

You telling people this 'OS' will be far better then AmigaOS is a moot point. One could say that about MacOS or even Windows and keep on bothering us at AW...
Hey ! They have Amiga compatibility too you know ! I can even run them right now.....

This is my last post on this as there is no way to agree on this, and the discussion will just go on and on...

Can't we all just agree to disagree ? And leave it at that ?

Just wanted to vent my opinion.

That as soon as you're born you're dying

Hypex 
Posted on 24-Jan-2011 13:29:15
#133 ]
Elite Member

@Wraith2021

Quote:
They are attempting to take on Apple, which is a big thing.

Workbench 5 must then be the secret OS5 Amiga were talking about.

vox 
Posted on 24-Jan-2011 14:41:33
#134 ]
Elite Member

@coyote

My dear Coyote,
that "Workbench 5" is everything BUT the Workbench 5.
CUSA showed much boldness and ignorance after initial
Amiga community response to take the name which
is even more associated with AmigaOS then AmigaOS

Once they will be able to join Workbench nostalgia as AmigaOS
versions, its OK. Until then its insult.

http://www.gregdonner.org/workbench/

samo79 
Posted on 24-Jan-2011 14:44:10
#135 ]
Elite Member

@WolfToTheMoon

Quote:
they can, sure... you could put many different OSes up there since it's x86. I don't see that as a minus.

You don't understand, i mean CUSA try to sell a different operative system using an Amiga name, in this case they use Linux but eventually they can use any other OS availible.

Are there any single developer employed on CUSA staff ?

Be serious, did you think that they try to rewrite an AmigaOS using a Linux kernel ???

No they didn't, they only try to sell an x86 Linux machine with an Amiga wallpaper on the desk (or similar crappy), this is a fraud scam here, don't know in your country ...

http://www.betatesting.it/backforthefuture

Sam440ep Flex 800 Mhz 1 GB Ram + AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6
AmigaOne XE G3 800 Mhz - 640 MB Ram - Radeon 9200 SE + AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 24-Jan-2011 14:48:00
#136 ]

@samo79

Quote:
You don't understand, i mean CUSA try to sell a different operative system using an Amiga name, in this case they use Linux but eventually they can use any other OS availible.

Amiga name is theirs, so they can do whatever they want it. If they want to bundle windows, the can do it. Whatever they want(+pending the approval od Amiga Inc, just like any licensee).

Quote:
Be serious, did you think that they try to rewrite an AmigaOS using a Linux kernel ???

No, why would you want to rewrite AmigaOS? It's no good anyway...

Quote:
No they didn't, they only try to sell an x86 Linux machine with an Amiga wallpaper on the desk (or similar crappy), this is a fraud scam here, don't know in your country

How is it a scam if they're admitting they are using Linux...

you're whole post is kind of a troll post here, don't know in your country

Last edited by WolfToTheMoon on 24-Jan-2011 at 02:48 PM.

vox 
Posted on 24-Jan-2011 14:51:33
#137 ]
Elite Member

@linnar

X1000 is designed to run AmigaOS and aquired licence for it,
and that makes it Amiga board, since AmigaOS4 went to open standards.

Now, about CUSA design.

In the original announcement, AROS was promised
http://www.commodoreusa.net/CUSA_News.aspx#

In response to an overwhelming demand from Amiga users worldwide, Commodore USA’s CTO Leo Nigro announced today that their new Amiga branded computers will be fully AROS compatible, and that they will be supporting the AROS open source community in every way possible. Mr. Nigro states “With the monumental strides that AROS has recently achieved, we realize the importance of accelerating this progress with funding that will enable this project to rapidly move forward and take it’s rightful place at the forefront of desktop operating systems”.

So every way went possible went to no way possible. Shame.
Discrispect earned instead of respect. If it was like AresOne, good AROS support project with Amiga Forever bundled, I would buy it. In a retro design.

From AmigaDream A1200 ITX case originally promised and couple designes also stolen, we came to A2000/A3000/CDTV design
http://www.commodoreusa.net/CUSA_Amiga1000.aspx

From list of 5-6 operating systems we are down to not well explained
Workbench 5.

What is the problem with the name
a) Name: Workbench is registred AmigaOS GUI
b) Legal licence for name: CUSA never obtained it, legally its bewteen Cloanto and AmigaInc
c) Version: its suggestive that it is AmigaOS 5
http://www.gregdonner.org/workbench/
Which it isn`t
Even Microsoft never explained how they came to Windows 7 (NT versions
are NT (normal and Workgroups), NT4 (Workstation and Server), Windows 2000, Windows 2003 Server, Windows XP, Windows 2008 Server, Windows Vista, Windows 7 where Vista and Windows have 3-4 versions as well as XP.

It would be honest to call it CommodoreUSA 2010
or Linux Amiga 2010

Why CUSA tries so much to be Amiga like, when they aren`t?

marko 
Posted on 24-Jan-2011 14:53:35
#138 ]
From: Gothenburg, THE front side of Sweden ;), (via Finland), EU

@WolfToTheMoon/BigBentheAussie/Leo and/or Barry... el CUSA

Quote:
WolfToTheMoon wrote:

You make some of their suggestions but never allow them to make decisions for you. Like Jack Tramiel said, Business is war! In war, one man must lead, others must follow.

And you are the self proclaimed leader or this "messiah"?

No thank you, not mine anyway, have a nice day.

m4rko.com/AMIGA

vox 
Posted on 24-Jan-2011 14:55:22
#139 ]
Elite Member

@linnar

"Commodore decide what is the Amiga because they have the right to the name."

They have licence to produce several boards with Amiga name and several with Commodore name and that is much as I understand they have purchased.

Their licence is not valid back in time, neither is valid to existing Amiga Community or the AmigaOS 4 related products.

So be realistic.

And when they make a real AmigaOS x86 we can give them some praises, but they also dont have rights to do so. So no MacOS X Intel transition stories please.

At least we know Acube and A-EON/Varisys do hardware and Hyperion does software.

CUSA will prebuy some Taiwan / Chinese integrated boards and hire someone to produce cases and customize Linux. Amounth of work very little.

Expected praises and profit high.

Nice idea, but I will simply not support it, cause I can customize my own CBM, Amiga emulation or Linux freely and legaly (using AmigaForever licenced) without their help. There are better cases and Amiga stickers are still availiable.

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 24-Jan-2011 14:57:59
#140 ]

@vox

Quote:
So every way went possible went to no way possible. Shame. Discrispect earned instead of respect. If it was like AresOne, good AROS support project with Amiga Forever bundled, I would buy it. In a retro design.

I can assure you that thru my private discussions with Leo I learned that he was very AROS supportive. In fact, I still think he is favorable of the AROS idea even if they're legally bound not to be able to use it.
I also know they were pretty serious of developing AROS in the future.

That all came to nothing because of known reasons, but it made me sorta happy because AROS would be no good anyway. It would have been fun, but it would take several years to make it usable for non-amiga users and by then, it would have probably been to late.

No, Linux is the only way forward for a mainstream AMIGA machine. Any other way and you're bound to run into the same problems faced today by the classic Amiga platform.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle