Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
20 crawler(s) on-line.
 77 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

matthey

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  2 mins ago
 zipper:  15 mins ago
 Luc:  1 hr ago
 kolla:  1 hr 22 mins ago
 amigakit:  2 hrs 33 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  2 hrs 35 mins ago
 pixie:  2 hrs 56 mins ago
 BigD:  4 hrs 15 mins ago
 AndreasM:  4 hrs 59 mins ago
 OlafS25:  5 hrs 31 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga Inc. offshoot
      /  Workbench 5 = AROS?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
PosterThread
linnar 
Re: Workbench 5 = AROS?
Posted on 27-Jan-2011 19:41:00
#301 ]
Cult Member

@T-J

Quote:

T-J wrote:
@linnar
I'm sorry, are you suggesting that one needs to be 60 years old in order to use the AmigaOS?

No, no, then I said wrong, completely wrong.

vox write:
"I plan to live 60 years more."
I asked how old he is now if he will live another 60 years.

Last edited by linnar on 27-Jan-2011 at 07:48 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
persia 
Posted on 27-Jan-2011 20:32:55
#302 ]

@pavlor

So are the iAmiga and UEA4Droid folks using a license from Amiga Inc? I notice they don't support a hard drive and hence boot directly to games.

Last edited by persia on 27-Jan-2011 at 08:33 PM.

Zylesea 
Posted on 27-Jan-2011 23:44:40
#303 ]
Elite Member

@Daedalus

Quote:

Daedalus wrote:
@opi

Do you think the MorphOS guys would be happy if I released "Wanderer 3.0" for x86, which was basically Ubuntu with an MUI-looking skin, and otherwise totally 100% incompatible? I don't think they would(...)

I think the MorphOS team wouldn't care. And why should they?
Hint: Wanderer is not their business, but that of AROS.

vox 
Posted on 28-Jan-2011 0:22:30
#304 ]
Elite Member

@damocles

OK, lets say we do not know who is the real legal owner in Amiga Inc mambo jumbo, but we do know Cloanto is only legal seller. There needs to be this kind of contract to include needed files in OS with AmigaInc or Cloanto, since its closed source and copyrighted. Only when such agreement is reached, Amiga emulation can be promised.

I might be wrong about backward, but its obvious that Hyperion has rights to AmigaOS and its components beyond 4. Every Amigan knows Workbench is OS component and Workbench 5 indicates AmigaOS 5. So its derrived right from the agreement.

Can you please summ me the "shoe in the mouth" achievements before CUSA adventure?

vox 
Posted on 28-Jan-2011 0:24:30
#305 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor

Looks like dead end situation where no one, but Amiga Forever package can`t grant 100% Amiga compatibility as claimed by CUSA.

damocles 
Posted on 28-Jan-2011 3:14:29
#306 ]

@vox

Quote:
OK, lets say we do not know who is the real legal owner in Amiga Inc mambo jumbo, but we do know Cloanto is only legal seller.

No, AI is the owner, Cloanto is licensed to sell/distribute. That does not stop AI from licensing it to others.

Quote:
There needs to be this kind of contract to include needed files in OS with AmigaInc or Cloanto, since its closed source and copyrighted. Only when such agreement is reached, Amiga emulation can be promised.

If they are going to be using 3.1 or earlier, then yes, there has to be a license at which I would guess AI would be the cheapest to get a license from.

Quote:
I might be wrong about backward, but its obvious that Hyperion has rights to AmigaOS and its components beyond 4. Every Amigan knows Workbench is OS component and Workbench 5 indicates AmigaOS 5. So its derrived right from the agreement.

I would say your wrong since the trademark is issued to Cloanto and that is what AI is objecting to with the USPTO. If AI is happy with C=USA using Workbench and they achieve victory over Cloanto with the USPTO, then it's all legal. There is nothing in the settlement that covers the term "workbench" as far as the license agreement with Hyperion.

Here is a sample of Barry's background, which seems to be missing one or two things but it's good enough for CnP job:

"Barry S. Altman is the President and CEO of Commodore USA, LLC, B. Altman & Co. and Homecraft, LLC, all headquartered in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.

Spanning a 25 year career in the bleeding-edge electronics and satellite / space telecommunications industry, Mr. Altman founded and served as CEO & President of Cabletech Satellite Systems, Inc., U.S. Cable Technology, Inc., The Cabletech Satellite Network and United Broadcasting Co.

This group of companies have built cable television head ends for cable companies throughout the United States, and have designed and constructed the uplink network operation centers for such companies as Viacom International, Warner Amex, Viacom and MTV Networks.. They directed and produced the domestic satellite telemetry downlink for the Live Aid concert for MTV, which was at that time the largest world wide deployment of a live satellite television broadcast. Cabletech has designed and installed systems for Grumman Aerospace, The United Nations, government and private industry, and over 45,000 TVRO C& Ku band satellite systems for consumers nationwide. Cabletech was a developmental partner with General Motors & Hughes Communications in the small aperture DBS system that later became DirecTv."

Pics of their Chinese factory:

http://www.homecraft.us/page/page/5386656.htm

Pics of his FL based store:

http://www.homecraft.us/page/page/4597493.htm

I'd say Barry is one of the most qualified executive to take charge, probably dating back to post Jack Tramiel days. Does your shoe need some salt and pepper?

Manu 
Posted on 28-Jan-2011 7:44:56
#307 ]

@damocles

Oh, that's not a bad CV at all.

Daedalus 
Posted on 28-Jan-2011 8:22:02
#308 ]

@Zylesea

Quote:

Zylesea wrote:
@Daedalus

I think the MorphOS team wouldn't care. And why should they?
Hint: Wanderer is not their business, but that of AROS.

Sorry, Ambient 3.0... I'm pretty sure you understood my point though.

SHADES 
Posted on 28-Jan-2011 8:32:54
#309 ]
Cult Member

@ALL

The AMIGA OS is the last part of AMIGA left that makes AMIGA feel, be used, like an AMIGA but it seriously needs to move with the times on a more affordable platform.

It doesn't matter what AMIGA OS runs on to GIVE the AMIGA experience/feel with the AMIGA configuration/usability.
Not making it available for the masses and keeping it expensive is not going to keep it going. That being said, The AMIGA name doesn't make AMIGA feel like or use like an AMIGA either.

Companies involved in reviving the AMIGA environment/spirit/feel need to COLLABORATE and help each other revive this wonderful user centric environment. Until that happens, AMIGA will continue to fade away till there is nothing.

It will take more than one company here to achieve this. It will take time and serious effort to achieve as well.

The End.

Last edited by SHADES on 28-Jan-2011 at 09:30 AM.

linnar 
Posted on 28-Jan-2011 9:19:13
#310 ]
Cult Member

@SHADES

Quote:

SHADES wrote:
@ALL
The AMIGA OS is the last part of AMIGA left that makes AMIGA feel, be used, like an AMIGA but it seriously needs to move with the times on a more affordable platform.

It doesn't matter what AMIGA OS runs on to GIVE the AMIGA experience/feel with the AMIGA configuration/usability.
Not making it available for the masses and keeping it expensive is not going to keep it going. That being said, The AMIGA name doesn't make AMIGA feel like or use like and AMIGA either.

Companies involved in reviving the AMIGA environment/spirit/feel need to COLLABORATE and help each other revive this wonderful user centric environment. Until that happens, AMIGA will continue to fade away till there is nothing.

It will take more than one company here to achieve this. It will take time and serious effort to achieve as well.

The End.

Agree!

Had all collaborated to get the Amiga phenomenon again, we would today perhaps had a level that would be self-sustaining.

Rather than building people up small broken parts of the Amiga Clones and threatened with trial as often as you change the shirt.

Amiga community at various forums for a full-blown war against each other. There are fewer and fewer members. The low level of Amiga production can no longer carry yourself is reached. The dream remains a dream.

Amiga community must be the most stupid community who are in the world.

Now, I think, that there emerged a unique opportunity that can boost the Amiga again.
What does the community for this opportunity?

Well, believe it if you want, but they start a new war with this historic opportunity!?

The result is that the new unique opportunity, may have to try to get the heavy burden of success while the community relegated to the bleachers.

Unfortunately, the current Amiga community deserves it!

This is my opinion!

pavlor 
Posted on 28-Jan-2011 9:54:40
#311 ]
Elite Member

@linnar

Quote:
historic opportunity!?

Amiga branded computer with Linux? Nothing new...

Remember dAmiga (around 2000/1)?

When CommodoreUSA releases its products, we will see how much Amiga look/feel is in them.

Wraith2021 
Posted on 28-Jan-2011 10:33:15
#312 ]

@pavlor

a look and feel like this i would expect

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 28-Jan-2011 10:43:44
#313 ]

@Wraith2021

Like I said over at C-A.org, that doesn't really look good to me...

I'd stay away from those MUI skins. WB X should go the modern way, not mimicking OS 3.x or OS 4.x.

The dock is OKish.

Last edited by WolfToTheMoon on 28-Jan-2011 at 10:44 AM.
Last edited by WolfToTheMoon on 28-Jan-2011 at 10:44 AM.

Wraith2021 
Posted on 28-Jan-2011 10:53:31
#314 ]

@WolfToTheMoon

It obviously won't have the boing ball, or the wallpaper, but it is having a ram disk and workbench drive, so its gonna be close to this in basic design, but more Commodore. It will have a dock as far as i know.

terminills 
Posted on 28-Jan-2011 11:40:19
#315 ]
AROS Core Developer

@WolfToTheMoon

Not sure where you got mui skin from ... But it looks to me he was simply using an os4 skin on amiwm. You can skin it any way you want tho. By default it looks like os3.1 iirc.

"AROS is prolly illegal ~ Evert Carton" intentionally quoted out of context for dramatic effect

pavlor 
Posted on 28-Jan-2011 11:49:18
#316 ]
Elite Member

@Wraith2021

So nothing more than familiar skin?

linnar 
Posted on 28-Jan-2011 12:26:28
#317 ]
Cult Member

@pavlor

Quote:

pavlor wrote:
@linnar

Quote:
historic opportunity!?

Amiga branded computer with Linux? Nothing new...

Remember dAmiga (around 2000/1)?

I remember!
I do not mean os or select the hardware, I think the Amiga option is the guy behind the Commodore. When he arrived, the Amiga community should talk to him about what he can do and how it should be done. Aros or AmigaOS had a real strong possibility here.

What were they doing instead?
Talked s k i t about him and his ideas.

Then he packed up and went their own way!

Quote:

When CommodoreUSA releases its products, we will see how much Amiga look/feel is in them.

Well, now they must deliver the good stuff.

Last edited by linnar on 28-Jan-2011 at 12:47 PM.
Last edited by linnar on 28-Jan-2011 at 12:37 PM.

linnar 
Posted on 28-Jan-2011 12:45:29
#318 ]
Cult Member

@terminills

Quote:

terminills wrote:
@WolfToTheMoon

Not sure where you got mui skin from ... But it looks to me he was simply using an os4 skin on amiwm. You can skin it any way you want tho. By default it looks like os3.1 iirc.

http://www.commodore-amiga.org/en/forum/advsearch?searchuser=metalmac&exactname=1&childforums=1

Mechanic 
Posted on 28-Jan-2011 13:36:44
#319 ]
Elite Member

@linnar

linnar wrote:
Quote:

Amiga community must be the most stupid community who are in the world.

Well, , thank you for that.

Shall we go over there and spew rude, uncalled for rantings about that group?

We did not create this mess. The now AInc did.

With statements like that I just hope Bill & Fleecy get deeply involved into
their business.

T-J 
Posted on 28-Jan-2011 14:10:41
#320 ]
Cult Member

@linnar

Quote:
Rather than building people up small broken parts of the Amiga Clones and threatened with trial as often as you change the shirt.

Barry has been the one throwing legal threats around, not this community.

Quote:
Now, I think, that there emerged a unique opportunity that can boost the Amiga again.

No. There's an opportunity to have the word 'Amiga' written on some computer cases again. If you ask me, that opportunity isn't worth discussing.

@damocles

We already know what you've posted about Barry's history. It went up in a press release ages ago, and users of this forum and others did some investigation around that. What those users discovered was a chain of startups listed under the Homecraft brand and variants thereof, failing to provide tax information to the state of Florida and being closed down after a few years because of it. And nothing else.

Needless to say, it didn't inspire confidence. But I presume you've got a different version to share?

You see, the majority of the hostility is arising because the community feels that CUSA is just another AmigaInc style outfit. Some of the Ainc people had impressive CVs as well, remember. Unfortunately, CUSA have responded to this initial suspicion in such a way as to reinforce it, rather than defuse it.

Last edited by T-J on 28-Jan-2011 at 02:17 PM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle