Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
15 crawler(s) on-line.
 97 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  6 mins ago
 RobertB:  26 mins ago
 ktadd:  36 mins ago
 Rob:  39 mins ago
 MichaelMerkel:  1 hr 11 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 35 mins ago
 amigakit:  2 hrs 6 mins ago
 Hypex:  2 hrs 30 mins ago
 1Mouse:  2 hrs 40 mins ago
 Allanon:  2 hrs 45 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga Inc. offshoot
      /  Workbench 5 = AROS?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
PosterThread
klx300r 
Re: Workbench 5 = AROS?
Posted on 28-Jan-2011 14:14:23
#321 ]
Elite Member

Quote:
by Mechanic on 28-Jan-2011 8:36:44

@linnar

linnar wrote:
Quote:

Amiga community must be the most stupid community who are in the world.

Well, , thank you for that.

Shall we go over there and spew rude, uncalled for rantings about that group?

We did not create this mess. The now AInc did.

With statements like that I just hope Bill & Fleecy get deeply involved into
their business.

+ 1

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

Profile     Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 28-Jan-2011 14:16:14
# ]

@Wraith2021

A pretty screenshot, although GoboLinux would be a more interesting base than Linux Mint. At least you get something other than the standard Unix filesystem layout.

Chris

Last edited by clebin on 28-Jan-2011 at 02:18 PM.
Last edited by clebin on 28-Jan-2011 at 02:18 PM.

Report this post  
terminills 
Posted on 28-Jan-2011 15:00:48
#323 ]
AROS Core Developer

@linnar

I know ... my point was simply amiwm does not = mui. =]

"AROS is prolly illegal ~ Evert Carton" intentionally quoted out of context for dramatic effect

damocles 
Posted on 28-Jan-2011 15:04:14
#324 ]

@Wraith2021

Quote:
a look and feel like this i would expect

That's for the C64x's OS.

persia 
Posted on 28-Jan-2011 16:27:35
#325 ]

@linnar

C=USA is in business to make money, they aren't here to revive the community. Because their hardware is nothing different from dozens of other companies distributing Chinese hardware they are trying to create a cult following like Apple, but they lack a Steve Jobs, both to create the vision and to share it with the followers.

A Workbench themed Linux isn't much of a vision, but it's all they've got at this point, oh and wedges, they also have wedges. You need a fair bit of spin to make that mean anything in 2011.

To expect them to somehow be a part of this community is unfair to both them and us.

linnar 
Posted on 28-Jan-2011 16:35:59
#326 ]
Cult Member

@terminills

Quote:

terminills wrote:
@linnar

I know ... my point was simply amiwm does not = mui. =]

OK!

persia 
Posted on 28-Jan-2011 16:37:48
#327 ]

@T-J

I think I understand Barry and his extremely padded resume. He runs a furniture store he inherited, but he likes technology, he hasn't had much of a hand in it, every so often he's started up a technology company but they've gone no where. It's frustrating.

The Commodore brand is a bit like that, they're a good match. So Barry risks his inheritance on one last shot in the technology field. He's abandoned the satellite schemes and the rest that didn't work. This time he's going to revive the Commodore brand. The Brand that like him tried to succeed in technology, should have succeeded in technology, but didn't. It's a perfect fit! It's got to work!

persia 
Posted on 28-Jan-2011 16:53:51
#328 ]

@T-J

I think I understand Barry and his extremely padded resume. He runs a furniture store he inherited, but he likes technology, he hasn't had much of a hand in it, every so often he's started up a technology company but they've gone no where. It's frustrating.

The Commodore brand is a bit like that, they're a good match. So Barry risks his inheritance on one last shot in the technology field. He's abandoned the satellite schemes and the rest that didn't work. This time he's going to revive the Commodore brand. The Brand that like him tried to succeed in technology, should have succeeded in technology, but didn't. It's a perfect fit! It's got to work!

damocles 
Posted on 28-Jan-2011 18:33:10
#329 ]

@T-J

Quote:
We already know what you've posted about Barry's history. It went up in a press release ages ago, and users of this forum and others did some investigation around that. What those users discovered was a chain of startups listed under the Homecraft brand and variants thereof, failing to provide tax information to the state of Florida and being closed down after a few years because of it.

That has zero to do with his 25 years of history in the tech field dealing with major corporations on their projects. Closing of any corp in FL by the state is the company owner(s) not bothering to pay a annual tax/fee of $150, it's not about providing tax information it's about providing the $150.

Quote:
Needless to say, it didn't inspire confidence. But I presume you've got a different version to share?

Let see here, you skipped right over the long history in cable/satellite business with building and developing bleeding edge technology. And you skipped right over the size of the Chinese factory and the size (and stock) of his FL warehouse. None of the above could be achieved by those currently involved with the Amiga/AmigaOne.

Quote:
You see, the majority of the hostility is arising because the community feels that CUSA is just another AmigaInc style outfit. Some of the Ainc people had impressive CVs as well, remember.

Who, McBill's time before he was fired at GW? What did he own and manage prior to that? What multi million dollar company did Fleecy own and manage? One might be able to BS there way into a high position, owning and operating a business is quiet different.

Quote:
Unfortunately, CUSA have responded to this initial suspicion in such a way as to reinforce it, rather than defuse it.

Agreed, it was poorly handled.

bison 
Posted on 28-Jan-2011 18:49:37
#330 ]
Elite Member

@T-J

Quote:
No. There's an opportunity to have the word 'Amiga' written on some computer cases again. If you ask me, that opportunity isn't worth discussing.

Good point.

There is HUGE sentimental value attached to the name "Amiga", at least for a few thousand of us. If the name doesn't really matter--and I don't think it does--then what is to stop someone from creating the next "Amiga" with another name? That's been tried, but so far with very limited success. Why is that?

linnar 
Posted on 28-Jan-2011 19:51:00
#331 ]
Cult Member

@persia

Quote:

persia wrote:
@linnar

C=USA is in business to make money, they aren't here to revive the community. Because their hardware is nothing different from dozens of other companies distributing Chinese hardware they are trying to create a cult following like Apple, but they lack a Steve Jobs, both to create the vision and to share it with the followers.

A Workbench themed Linux isn't much of a vision, but it's all they've got at this point, oh and wedges, they also have wedges. You need a fair bit of spin to make that mean anything in 2011.

To expect them to somehow be a part of this community is unfair to both them and us.

They are no part of this community, they will take the lead over it!

I'm reading all about the Commodore does not know the plans, how computers or the Workbench will be. How can you so categorically know that?

The truth, I think, is that the Community is concerned that the Commodore side of the Amiga will dominate in a few years. Do not worry about it, it will be nice!

I think!

persia 
Posted on 28-Jan-2011 20:46:51
#332 ]

@damocles

He didn't skip over it, merely remarked that it doesn't stand up to verification. Barry sold satellite TV out of his furniture store. Big deal. But a lot of people fudged their resume at one time or another, let's see if he can deliver this time.

Quote:

damocles wrote:
@T-J

Let see here, you skipped right over the long history in cable/satellite business with building and developing bleeding edge technology. And you skipped right over the size of the Chinese factory and the size (and stock) of his FL warehouse. None of the above could be achieved by those currently involved with the Amiga/AmigaOne.

damocles 
Posted on 28-Jan-2011 21:59:53
#333 ]

@persia

Quote:
He didn't skip over it, merely remarked that it doesn't stand up to verification.

And just what was his verification? I would be interested in seeing the data.

Quote:
Barry sold satellite TV out of his furniture store.

Doubtful since Homecraft was started in 2004.

Quote:
let's see if he can deliver this time.

Yup.

Mechanic 
Posted on 28-Jan-2011 22:06:18
#334 ]
Elite Member

@linnar

Quote:
They are no part of this community, they will take the lead over it!

Well of course they will. After all, as you said....
Quote:
Amiga community must be the most stupid community who are in the world.

And then......
Quote:
Unfortunately, the current Amiga community deserves it!

Good thing you are not part of this community and posting in its' forums, as people
looking in might know that you are stupid to be here.

And you are not stupid, , , are you?

Do 'they' like stupid people?

Skandall 
Posted on 28-Jan-2011 22:39:53
#335 ]

@Wraith2021

I certainly hope that's not what it looks like. Heck, you can get that right now on Unbuntu, though mine is more accurate since I moved the close gadget where it belongs.

A Dock was not a part of Workbench. That looks like a Mac clone. If they just make something that looks like a Mac, Linux or Windows clone they will have lost before they even started.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 29-Jan-2011 0:37:29
#336 ]
Elite Member

@Skandall

Quote:
A Dock was not a part of Workbench

Workbench 3.9

Amiga Workbench 3.9, (2000).The 3.9 version of Workbench was again developed by Haage&Partner and released in 2000.

the introduction of the AmiDOCK, a program start bar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Workbench_(AmigaOS)

You also get AmiDock as part of AmigaOS4.0 (Workbench 4.0) and AmigaOS4.1 (Workbench 4.1)

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 29-Jan-2011 at 12:38 AM.

Arko 
Posted on 29-Jan-2011 13:58:14
#337 ]

@linnar

Quote:

linnar wrote:
I'm reading all about the Commodore does not know the plans, how computers or the Workbench will be.

Where have they written this ?
Could you provide us a link ?

Quote:

How can you so categorically know that?

CUSA has an F.A.Q. and some people here could read. Workbench5 will be a Linux distribution.

Workbench5 probably not Ubuntu
Here are some misinformed people writing still above Ubuntu. I remembered a thread where BiGBenTheAussi/Leo wrote something like "it will be no Ubuntu". Ubuntu is a great Linux distribution if you want to use it an average x86 desktop system. If you know what hardware will be installed you would not need Ubuntu.

I borrowed this comments from here (#27 & #28):
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38873&forum=2&start=20&order=0

number6 
Posted on 29-Jan-2011 14:05:07
#338 ]
Elite Member

@Arko

Quote:
I remembered a thread where BiGBenTheAussi/Leo wrote something like "it will be no Ubuntu"

whereas @Wolftothemoon alluded to Mark Shuttleworth, the owner of the company who sponsors same.

Post #145

Last edited by number6 on 29-Jan-2011 at 02:14 PM.

ChrisH 
Posted on 29-Jan-2011 15:27:06
#339 ]
Elite Member

@Cool_amigaN Quote:
Native software development in AmigaOS4.x is dead.

Please don't talk cr*p. Native OS4 s/w dev is fine. (I think it must be exaggerated expectations which lead you to such wrong conclusions.)

I think that OS4 has never had so many (admittedly fairly new or recently returned) s/w developers, although there may well have been a dip a few years ago (during the hardware drought) which eventually lead to a more recent dip in new OS4 programs. Bear in mind that native s/w development take can take *years*, so a dip in development a few years ago would only actually show up some time later.

I myself continue to develop native s/w nearly every day (currently the next release of PortablE). Probably not the kind of s/w that would interest you, but I can't help that. (Although PictureAlbum, FolderSync2 & RunInUAE might come close?)

Quote:
Furthermore, it seems that some newly introduced system components are also implying that the porting of software from other platforms to AmigaOS4.x is advocated by some devs since the pool of programmers has already drained.

Really, you don't seem to have a clue about programming, nor even OS4. Modern programs (on Windows/Linux/etc) rely on vast collections of libraries to do interesting stuff. It's simply not pratical (nor sensible) to reinvent the wheel, when OS4 can take (for example) perfectly libraries for decoding pictures/sound/video, or networking, or encryption, or graphics rendering, or (de)compressing, or parsing XML, or rendering fonts, or threading, etc. Take a close look at SObjs:, and you will see it contains all these basic kinds of things. They are building blocks, nothing more.

Now yes, it so happens that it is far easier to port Linux/etc programs using these SObjs, but I'm pretty sure that most of these ports (except major ones like Firefox) are "stop gap" measures until native alternatives have time to be developed. In the case of something major like Firefox, it is arguably that we will never have the resources to write our own one completely from scratch, so in those cases a port is the only way to do it.

EDIT: I would also point out that porting software to OS4 is a great way to:
1. Learn the ins & outs of OS4 programming. May lead to native s/w later...
2. Test the SObjs ported to OS4 (which means less problems when doing the harder work of developing native s/w).

Last edited by ChrisH on 29-Jan-2011 at 04:12 PM.
Last edited by ChrisH on 29-Jan-2011 at 04:06 PM.
Last edited by ChrisH on 29-Jan-2011 at 03:54 PM.

T-J 
Posted on 29-Jan-2011 15:48:13
#340 ]
Cult Member

@damocles

Persia is quite right - I didn't skip over it, I included it in the last sentence of my post, 'And nothing else'.

There's a thread somewhere detailing the efforts of some of this forum's members to confirm this CV. In short, we couldn't find much.

This article, 'HBO Signal Barrier Crashed', pages 15 and 17, from 24 years ago is all I could find linking Altman to anything called 'Cabletech'...

Everything else I could find on the internet merely refers to the CUSA press release of 2010. Although having said that, I will freely admit I haven't spent very much time on this.

Last edited by T-J on 29-Jan-2011 at 03:52 PM.
Last edited by T-J on 29-Jan-2011 at 03:49 PM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle