Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
15 crawler(s) on-line.
 173 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 BigD:  20 mins ago
 matthey:  35 mins ago
 AndreasM:  1 hr 4 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 5 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 12 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 36 mins ago
 Swisso:  1 hr 40 mins ago
 amigakit:  2 hrs 15 mins ago
 amigang:  2 hrs 48 mins ago
 clint:  3 hrs 13 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga Inc. offshoot
      /  Workbench 5 = AROS?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
PosterThread
phoenixkonsole 
Re: Workbench 5 = AROS?
Posted on 23-Jan-2011 20:58:52
#81 ]

@WolfToTheMoon
Hmmm : )
You can sum up the last 15years..... Or just look at the years 2008/09/10/11....
ABI v1 is in focus and in work(slow but steady).... AROS is getting more interest from day to day -> more coders -> more fun -> faster development...

Profile     Report this post  
eXec 
Posted on 23-Jan-2011 21:46:04
#82 ]
Cult Member

@zerohero

Quote:

zerohero wrote:
@eXec

Quote:
Leo, it`s all about jealousy. You have the Amiga name , you have the vision... What do they have? Vaporware... :) Simply as the mushroom soup... ;)

I suggest you change your tone of voice, the "up in the face"-attitude won't work. Consider this an official warning.

Regards,
Joachim Birging

AmigaWorld.Net staff

I do not understand what did you mean under "up in the face"?
Please, feel free to explain me.

Hans 
Posted on 23-Jan-2011 21:48:39
#83 ]
Elite Member

@BigBentheAussie

Quote:

BigBentheAussie wrote:
@amigang

Quote:
The biggest problem I have is calling it version 5, to make seem like its a natural update of amigaOS line and that it superior or a successor to AmigaOS4, both are untrue.

It is arguably superior at least!
Would you rather we had called it Workbench 4 and confused everyone?
You might as well tell Hyperion to go with AmigaOS 2012 or Hyperion OS 1.2.
We'll be using the name that makes sense for us.
We might still go with Workbench X, but people feel it is too MacOSX like.
We'll see what we finally decide closer to launch.

Hyperion's AmigaOS 4.x already exists. It's based on the original AmigaOS source-code (including Workbench) and was commissioned to be AmigaOS 4.x. You, on the other hand are creating a new product based on Linux. Suggesting that Hyperion's situation with naming of AmigaOS 4 is somehow the same/similar as you naming some other product Workbench 5 is the same is utter nonsense. Calling it Workbench 5 is no less confusing than calling it Workbench 4 because a product version number do NOT differentiate between different products. You are undeniably calling it Workbench 5 to make it look like it is the next version on for the Amiga. If you didn't want to cause confusion, then you wouldn't be using the name Workbench in the first place. You are as aware as everyone else of what Workbench means in the Amiga context. You also know that it's a name that is still in use; AmigaOS 4.x users still use Workbench.

Rather than trying to deny that the name and version number have any meaning, you'd be better off just accepting that some people are not going to like what you are doing. Its not like those people are ever going to buy you products anyway.

Quote:
Both Cloanto and Hyperion are likely as entwined with Amiga Inc., through licensing as we are, yet somehow we are vilified as though we are exclusively affiliated with the devil.

More likely you are being vilified because you're engineering yet another split in the Amiga community, and causing even more confusion in the process. That's something that no-one here wanted.

Hans

linnar 
Posted on 23-Jan-2011 21:50:42
#84 ]
Cult Member

@klx300r
Quote:

What have those sheysters at AI done for our community??? now what has CUSA done so far for it??? see a pattern

Amiga Inc has had created all of OS after 3.1 to 4.x!

Commodore has just started, came back about a year or so!

Last edited by linnar on 23-Jan-2011 at 10:26 PM.

Hans 
Posted on 23-Jan-2011 21:51:28
#85 ]
Elite Member

@eXec

Quote:

eXec wrote:

I do not understand what did you mean under "up in the face"?
Please, feel free to explain me.

He means "in your face" attitude.

Hans

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 23-Jan-2011 21:53:48
#86 ]

@Hans

Quote:
More likely you are being vilified because you're engineering yet another split in the Amiga community, and causing even more confusion in the process. That's something that no-one here wanted.

I don't think any split will happen... Most of their customers will be people whose last contact with Amiga was when World Cup was played in USA.

vox 
Posted on 23-Jan-2011 21:54:37
#87 ]
Elite Member

@Hans

Their FAQ sais its also CommodoreOS

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 23-Jan-2011 21:57:01
#88 ]

@vox

Commodore OS - version on Commodore computers
Amiga Workbench X - version on AMIGA computers...

Arko 
Posted on 23-Jan-2011 21:57:45
#89 ]

@linnar

Quote:

linnar wrote:

Amiga Inc has had created all of us after 3.1 to 4.x!

I was not created by Amiga Inc. and I was born before AmigaOS3.1 was available or have you written about another 3.1 ? Windows3.1 or Unix3 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UNIX_System_III/wiki/UNIX_System_III ?

Last edited by Arko on 23-Jan-2011 at 10:02 PM.
Last edited by Arko on 23-Jan-2011 at 09:58 PM.

I borrowed this comments from here (#27 & #28):
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38873&forum=2&start=20&order=0

vox 
Posted on 23-Jan-2011 22:00:08
#90 ]
Elite Member

@WolfToTheMoon

... we know 100% its Linux,
its Workbench 5
For 100 EUR plus you can get Windows 7 for the machine

Its Amiga Classic comapatibile via emulation,
but no legal contract with Cloanto and CBM emulation is presented.

They hope AROS will make itself compatabile one day ...

We can expect then new Amigas will tripleboot AROS / WB 5 / Win7

Maybe its AmigaOS 5 AmigaInc originaly promised,
and CommodoreUSA ressurected became the software
developer and case designer?

Maybe its ShapeShifter 5!

Everything and nothing at the same time.

AmigaMac 
Posted on 23-Jan-2011 22:01:21
#91 ]

@fatman2021

That's blasphemy!

Rob 
Posted on 23-Jan-2011 22:08:11
#92 ]
Elite Member

@BigBentheAussie

Quote:
We gave Hyperion/A-Eon every opportunity to work with us first, but they cut off communication. So we went to Amiga Inc for the Amiga brand and changed tactics.

I'd be curious to know what you're cards were on that table. Unless you were willing to give Hyperion a massive cash injection I can't see how both companies could possibly work together. I can't for one minute imagine that you had any inclination to sell PowerPC based hardware.

Quote:
We planned for AROS to be a secondary OS that we could grow into our main OS, and then Hyperion thwarted our plans with legal saber rattling.

The settlement agreement between Hyperion VOF and the Amiga parties is a publicly available document so you should have known in advance what the likely outcome would be.

With regard to Workbench 5, surely if it looks and feels like Amiga OS then won't you end up with the same problem you'd have with AROS. If it doesn't look and feel like Amiga OS then why bother.

Rob 
Posted on 23-Jan-2011 22:17:39
#93 ]
Elite Member

@Arko

Nice to see some humour in this thread.

Amigo1 
Posted on 23-Jan-2011 22:21:29
#94 ]

@AmiDelf2

well then.. I feel stupid tonight.

if Amigaaaa is decrepit then..

Last edited by Amigo1 on 23-Jan-2011 at 10:23 PM.

linnar 
Posted on 23-Jan-2011 22:24:10
#95 ]
Cult Member

@Arko

Quote:

Arko wrote:
@linnar

Quote:

linnar wrote:

If the kernel called Linux,

Its not the kernal, according to the FAQ http://www.commodoreusa.net/CUSA_FAQ.aspx#Q10 , the whole Workbench5 is a Linux distribution and that's much more than a kernal.

It seems you where wrong with this:
Quote:

I get the answer that I should not be worried "there is no Amiga name on Linux or PC".

Source:
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic_id=33054&forum=14&start=140&viewmode=flat&order=0#596997

I'm not good at English so it might not be exactly written the way I mean. There, I apologize for.

The response I received, say in brief, that it becomes more Amiga than a sticker.

linnar 
Posted on 23-Jan-2011 22:33:35
#96 ]
Cult Member

@Arko

Quote:

Arko wrote:
@linnar

Quote:

linnar wrote:

Amiga Inc has had created all of us after 3.1 to 4.x!

I was not created by Amiga Inc. and I was born before AmigaOS3.1 was available or have you written about another 3.1 ? Windows3.1 or Unix3 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UNIX_System_III/wiki/UNIX_System_III ?

Amiga Inc contracted various companies to develop AmigaOS 3.9 and 4.x. If not Amiga Inc. had done so today was no AmigaOS 3.9 or 4.x.

What I want to come up with is that the Amiga Inc, in fact laid the foundation for further development of AmigaOS.

It was in response to "Amiga Inc has done nothing".

amigang 
Posted on 23-Jan-2011 23:18:10
#97 ]
Elite Member

@BigBentheAussie

Quote:
Would you rather we had called it Workbench 4 and confused everyone?
So you acknowledge that calling Workbench is going to cause confusion and conflict with AmigaOS.

Quote:
You might as well tell Hyperion to go with AmigaOS 2012 or Hyperion OS 1.2.
Why would they call it Hyperion OS? When they have rights to the AmigaOS name

Quote:
We might still go with Workbench X, but people feel it is too MacOSX like. We'll see what we finally decide closer to launch.
Well I'm glad you are at least considering to change it and you do at least except the conflict and closeness of the two OS names and the concerns of amiga users, I partly hope you do the same for your computer names (Amiga 1000x/AmigaOne x1000) but I know I pushing my luck with that one.

Quote:
Both Cloanto and Hyperion are likely as entwined with Amiga Inc., through licensing as we are, yet somehow we are vilified as though we are exclusively affiliated with the devil.

Maybe your right their but you got to look at how these other two companies have behaved in the Amiga community, they have both supported and made products for Amiga users and made products for the classic line of Amiga, Personal Paint to classic AmigaOS4.0, they have supported Amiga shows and developers over the years, now I completely understand you are a new company, but you must admit as public relation go for you first year you didn't do to well (threatening legal action, copying images for web site, annoying aros developers, boasting $30 million advertising budget and yet no donation to any amiga bounty) which is why you getting a lot of this slagging off, just being more open and honest with your plans is all we want, that first year did feel like you where Amiga inc mark 2 but your recent attitudes and better communication of your true goals is so much better just dont let it slip with unnecessary comments like

Quote:
WB5 is arguably superior at least
Not a wise comment to make on a AmigaOS4 fan site, plus AmigaOS4 IS Superior, at least at the moment because it at least exists.

nimrod7 
Posted on 23-Jan-2011 23:24:49
#98 ]

yet another useless thread started cos a lazy user didn't dare to read the c=usa f.a.q.
yet another useless thread c=usa is proud of - it's making a marketing buzz; c=usa is a center of attention; c=usa/a.inc can use the heated debate to show the amiga community support for the c=usa ideas as they did in the past ("In response to an overwhelming demand from Amiga users worldwide...") etc. etc.

Last edited by nimrod7 on 23-Jan-2011 at 11:29 PM.
Last edited by nimrod7 on 23-Jan-2011 at 11:27 PM.

"Marxism must abhor nothing so much as the possibility that it becomes congealed in its current form. It is at its best when butting heads in self-criticism, and in historical thunder and lightning, it retains its strength" - Rosa Luxemburg.

zerohero 
Posted on 23-Jan-2011 23:31:35
#99 ]
Team Member

@eXec

As Hans said, "in your face".

Regards,
Joachim Birging

AmigaWorld.Net staff

Rob 
Posted on 23-Jan-2011 23:41:34
#100 ]
Elite Member

@opi

Isn't the spirit of Amiga supposed to be fun. Amiga certainly looks like he's having more fun than PC and Mac.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle