Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
8 crawler(s) on-line.
 136 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OldFart:  8 mins ago
 pavlor:  11 mins ago
 zipper:  28 mins ago
 VooDoo:  45 mins ago
 matthey:  50 mins ago
 kolla:  2 hrs 3 mins ago
 michalsc:  2 hrs 13 mins ago
 amigang:  2 hrs 22 mins ago
 gryfon:  2 hrs 39 mins ago
 Rob:  3 hrs 17 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Alt Amiga OS
      /  [Poll] Should CUSA posts and promotions be allowed at AW.net now and in the future?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 Next Page )
Poll : What do you think we should do with CUSA posts?
Let them be all the time .... CUSA has Amiga name, I like it and other reasons
It should be discussed after the product is realised
It shouldn`t be promoted at all at AW.net
Every user that promotes it against other Amigas should get abuse points

PosterThread
Hammer 
Re: [Poll] Should CUSA posts and promotions be allowed at AW.net now and in the future?
Posted on 5-Feb-2011 7:52:47
#101 ]
Elite Member

@vox

Quote:

vox wrote:
@number 6
I agree adjustments are needed over time.
But, do you really believe CommodoreOS or Workbench 5 or Just Another Linux
is alternative AmigaOS by information they have provided so far?

At least Linux based is better than TripOS based. http://www.ask.com/wiki/TRIPOS

Last edited by Hammer on 05-Feb-2011 at 08:05 AM.
Last edited by Hammer on 05-Feb-2011 at 08:02 AM.

Profile     Report this post  
Daytona675x 
Re: [Poll] Should CUSA posts and promotions be allowed at AW.net now and in the future?
Posted on 5-Feb-2011 8:14:05
#102 ]

@vox
Quote:
Ahh ... Americans trying to fake Amiga externaly and let AmigaOS be forgotten and then sell it in Europe (The Amiga fort!)
Will it succeed?

I guess we will know that early when there pops up some news-thread here...
A good reason to keep them! Voted #1.

vox 
Posted on 5-Feb-2011 9:10:02
#103 ]
Elite Member

@Hammer

vox wrote:
@number 6
I agree adjustments are needed over time.
But, do you really believe CommodoreOS or Workbench 5 or Just Another Linux
is alternative AmigaOS by information they have provided so far?
[/quote]
At least Linux based is better than TripOS based. http://www.ask.com/wiki/TRIPOS[/quote]

Well that will not be an AmigaOS advancement, just another Linux distro, and yet uknown which since they changed the opinion several times.

TripOS legacy is removed from EXEC during PPC transition (OS 4.x)

However, I undersand what are you saying and yes, I can see that Linux has many drivers and its Kernel is quite nice in terms of not consuming many resources and ability to be optimized for exact individual systems/CPUs. I like this approach much more then Windows. However, there will be no AmigaOS legacy, not even TripOS in that. So I don`t see AmigaOS is now really lightyears back (as OS 3.x would be when compared to anything contemporary) but that we are getting new modern staff feature by feature. Driver model exists for OS 4.x too. So, we are just few steps from going higher e.g. better mem allocation, defragmentation, protection of OS (Gream reaper kills the app not the OS) and swap are already here. If it was push to modernize AmigaOS towards Linux model but by using AmigaOS, and not just modding Linux (Like mentioned Android or MacOS X are patially Linux based) it would be really nice and I would be among first to buy it.

@damocles

Its good you are seeing those CUSA people and having more insight
in what are their plans (but never forget: we all have dreams, a realty check
is estimation can those people carry it out in practice). Also you are keeping what is realistic and expected for yourself, as well as CUSA. Not any plan we can publicly see, any vision. Just small cheats.

vox 
Posted on 5-Feb-2011 9:14:10
#104 ]
Elite Member

@Hammer

Also, when you have mentioned TripOS (which was base of AmigaDOS), it rang my bell that M$ could be judged harshly and called "86 DOS based" or that Windows NT was actually developed by DEC hired by M$. Everything has history, but advances from that point. There would be no Linux if our dear programmer did not learned to work his SinclairQL.

amigang 
Posted on 5-Feb-2011 9:38:31
#105 ]
Elite Member

@vox

I was not going to vote or respond in this thread, I feel we have been over it already and nothing we say or do matters to their business plan anyway, plus the fact that the last load of CUSA threads have not been created by it loyal followers but from long term Amiga user/member (just like this thread) show that no matter what the mods do, Amiga users seem to want to disgust the matter and has given us some great popcorn material and something to disgust over the wait for other Amiga developments, thats how I treated it any way.

So what changed my mind to post. Well on my you tube vids I got spammed about how CommodoreUSA is the real Amiga now it could just be a fan but look on his profile, and recent activity
http://www.youtube.com/user/jsuttonus
its not just my vids but every single one about the AmigaOne X1000, so you know what I voted for now.

PS: I screengrab them just encase the user shuts down.

Last edited by amigang on 05-Feb-2011 at 10:21 AM.
Last edited by amigang on 05-Feb-2011 at 10:08 AM.

Wizzard_o 
Posted on 5-Feb-2011 9:43:34
#106 ]
Cult Member
From: UK, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Solar System, Alpha Quadrant, The Milky-Way, Universe. 1.1.1.3.44.HP

@Hammer

Quote:
AmigaOS 1.0 (Kickstart+Workbench) doesn't natively run on PPC. PPC is not 68K .

x86 is not 68K or PPC, nor can it run any genuine Amiga OS, 68k and PPC can.
Find a better argument next time, or at least elaborate more on the point your trying to make (if there was one)

vox 
Posted on 5-Feb-2011 10:29:00
#107 ]
Elite Member

@Hammer

Quote:

AmigaOS 1.0 (Kickstart+Workbench) doesn't natively run on PPC. PPC is not 68K

Well since it`s not possible yes. But again, all WB apps do since the OS is backward compatibile (exactly the same model, just PPC) and just CPU was emulated. If there was just way to emulate AGA on GFX card, you wouldn`t feel the difference.

Truth would be that the OS would NOT be emulated,
just CPU and custom chip calls.

So, its more native than any complete system emulation.

However, point was to advance and keep compatibility as much as possible,
(even more then Windows did with Windows 7) not to extend 68k line.
Last 68k OS is OS 3.9, while AROS 68k might be too demanding for most of Classics.

Kickstart, just like it used to be in the beginning or with RelloKick, is just a file loading before the OS.

BillE 
Posted on 5-Feb-2011 10:38:13
#108 ]

@damocles

Quote:
There is always a chance of a disaster with C=USA's launch, but I think it's pretty remote because what companies and people C=USA has associated with.

I would hardly call being associated with Amiga Inc something to be proud about.

DAX 
Posted on 5-Feb-2011 10:47:48
#109 ]
Elite Member

@amigang
Mother of goodness that guy is a Criminal.

vox 
Posted on 5-Feb-2011 10:52:46
#110 ]
Elite Member

@amigang

I must say here I had high hopes for CUSA. I was hoping someone will have enough funds and guts to bring Amiga again big. But solutions could be PPC add on card on x86 board if not PPC system or better and faster PPC emulation on x86 like Rosetta Stone (not QUEMU!).

However, even AROS support that would keep CUSA products equal with ARES One was soon dropped and now with abuse of Workbench 5 they have degraded themselfs to "petty pirates" status harvesting Amiga fame for personal gain, with mouth full of support, community ...

If it was some corporation it would be expected (next round might happen after global Amiga name sale) but even that they do very childish and unprofessional. Looks like Natami kind of enthusiasm but without Amigan goal.

Please vote!

Spamming Amiga You Tube videos makes me sick again. While they keep their with no comments ... Such users are already blocked for my vidz and contacts on YT, and I urge you to the same!

And we have every right to tell them at least the same, check the real Amiga e.g. SAM not some just another PC by CUSA

DAX 
Posted on 5-Feb-2011 10:56:24
#111 ]
Elite Member

@vox
Another scammy behaviour from Cusa, block comments for their stuff and send a lapdog spamming real AmigaOS stuff.
They better start behaving or the community will bite back. Hard.

retro 
Posted on 5-Feb-2011 11:19:25
#112 ]

maby there linux distro "workbench5" will run amiga anywere 2 ?? or five ??
hehehe

but if its not more then an normal linux distro with an gui i dont even see the needs to talk about it

vox 
Posted on 5-Feb-2011 11:43:18
#113 ]
Elite Member

@retro

Quote:

but if its not more then an normal linux distro with an gui i dont even see the needs to talk about it

Seems so, but CUSA mambo jumbo is trying to hide it away

10. What is Workbench 5?
Our new Commodore OS, dubbed Workbench 5, will be a unique Commodore and AMIGA centric Linux distribution, that will grow over time into something far greater. Workbench 5 will not be your run of the mill Linux distribution. Every consideration will be given to retaining the look and feel of the classic Workbench environment, however there are limits to what is possible at this time, and we do not seek to re-invent the wheel. Our sights are set on creating an operating system environment competitive with the likes of those offered by Microsoft and Apple. An operating system that is inviting and accessible to new and old Commodore owners featuring modern day paradigms. With the inclusion of a plethora of the best open source games and applications, we intend to champion the open source movement and show the world what open source is capable of.

For dreams of x86 AmigaOS, picking user ideas what to do with it before they even announce anything realistic about Linux distro (e.g. which distro, component versions, bundled aps) and off course, bashing Amiga Classics and PPC`s everyone is free to check
http://www.commodore-amiga.org/

Off course, it might not even be Workbench 5 name in the end, might be Workbench V or Workbench 2011 ... but it will never be Workbench in historical sense, or the continuation of real Workbench like oS 4.1

http://www.gregdonner.org/workbench/wb_4x.html
http://www.gregdonner.org/workbench/wb_41.html

Like this two retro feel but advanced from retro screens
http://www.gregdonner.org/workbench/images/wb_40_boot1.jpg
http://www.gregdonner.org/workbench/images/wb_40_boot2.jpg

@Bille

would hardly call being associated with Amiga Inc something to be proud about.
[quote]

Well, first Amiga Inc did noble did of wanting AmigaOS to go PPC. Rest of what every Amiga Inc did was disaster and lie. So in the end, now being associated with them with this kind of corporate lies is a shame:

About Amiga Inc.

Amiga Inc. holds the intellectual property related to the AMIGA personal computer that was developed and sold by Commodore International and Amiga Corporation, including hardware designs, software, operating systems, trademarks, and other intellectual properties. Amiga Inc. also produces and distributes enabling technologies and applications for wired and wireless devices that provide technology to developers for writing and porting applications to a new multi-media operating system that is hardware agnostic, enabling applications to run unchanged on x86 and other processors. States Bill McEwen, CEO/Pres “We at Amiga are pleased to once again be part of the great plans and products at Commodore USA. This is just the beginning of something great”.

And now meditate pon dis:

Commodore USA, LLC designs, produces and markets a series of all-in-one Commodore branded keyboard computers, and other unique form factor computers and consumer electronics.

Barry S. Altman is the President and CEO of Commodore USA, LLC, based in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. Spanning a 25 year career in the bleeding-edge electronics and satellite/space telecommunications industry, Mr. Altman founded and served as CEO & President of Cabletech Satellite Systems, Inc. U.S. Cable Technology, Inc., The Cabletech Satellite Network and United Broadcasting Co. This group of companies built NOC’s (Network Operation Centers) for cable television programmers, and cable television head ends for cable companies throughout the United States, They designed and constructed the satellite uplink network operation centers for such companies as Viacom International, Warner Amex, Viacom and MTV Networks. They directed and produced the domestic satellite telemetry downlink for the Live Aid concert for MTV, which was at that time the largest world wide deployment of a live satellite television broadcast. Cabletech has manufactured, designed and installed systems for Grumman Aerospace, The United Nations, government and private industry, and over 45,000 TVRO C& Ku band satellite systems for businesses and consumers nationwide. Cabletech was a developmental partner with General Motors & Hughes Communications in the small aperture DBS system that later became DirecTv.

terminills 
Posted on 5-Feb-2011 11:50:32
#114 ]
AROS Core Developer

@vox

say what you want about my site ... However no one bashes OS4 or Classics. As a matter of fact most of the members ignore any OS4 comments because they're not interested.

Tho there does seem to be an interest in Aros from some members. =]

Last edited by terminills on 05-Feb-2011 at 11:51 AM.

"AROS is prolly illegal ~ Evert Carton" intentionally quoted out of context for dramatic effect

ruben 
Posted on 5-Feb-2011 12:29:26
#115 ]

@vox

Quote:
... and also not able to run any kind of AmigaOS.

No one wants to run AmigaOS except for a few hundreds here. If CUSA's products don't sell, it certainly won't be because they don't run AmigaOS.

Quote:
CUSA Amigas will just be repacked PCs of today.

Other people around here have been repeating this misconception many times.
Yes, some models are simply off the shelf enclosures with C= Amiga stickers on them. However, other models are replicas of C64, A500 and A1200. If that's not unique, them please let me know where else can I buy that. And no, some geek who hacked a C64 to put a mini-itx board inside it doesn't count as a product that I can buy.

DAX 
Posted on 5-Feb-2011 12:35:42
#116 ]
Elite Member

@terminills
yes sure, try explaining them the cusa's stuff is a PC with a camouflaged gnome, while AOS4 is the direct PPC translation of what you describe in your signature as the last genuine AmigaOS (by the way 3.1 is another Hyperion exclusive).

Or should be a third party plastic case with a PC motherboard and a camouflaged gnome, at the moment all the have is a big pile of fluff...

DAX 
Posted on 5-Feb-2011 12:37:54
#117 ]
Elite Member

@ruben
Quote:
However, other models are replicas of C64, A500 and A1200

in their website all i see is a well done 3D rendering of the c64 case does anybody have the real thing?
As for Amiga 500/1200 where are they? You talk as if those products exist when quite frankly, they don't.

terminills 
Posted on 5-Feb-2011 12:39:16
#118 ]
AROS Core Developer

@DAX

Ummm maybe you haven't actually read my site... but it's well known that Workbench 5 is Linux.

And hyperion didn't write 3.1

Don't worry tho I don't consider 3.5 or 3.9 genuine either. Amiga OS died with commodore anything after that is just a shell.

Last edited by terminills on 05-Feb-2011 at 12:45 PM.

"AROS is prolly illegal ~ Evert Carton" intentionally quoted out of context for dramatic effect

T-J 
Posted on 5-Feb-2011 12:50:37
#119 ]
Cult Member

@terminills

The Amiga died when the soulless corporate entity that was 'Commodore Business Machines' took it over and sacked all the great creative geniuses that invented it. Everything after the Amiga Corporation days was merely Commodore suits sitting on the throne that Jay Miner and company built, investing nothing into the development despite retaining a number of clever developers, and completely failing in every way to move with the times or keep up with the competition.

See, two can play at that game.

Last edited by T-J on 05-Feb-2011 at 12:51 PM.

terminills 
Posted on 5-Feb-2011 12:51:35
#120 ]
AROS Core Developer

@T-J

Actually I can agree with that. =P But then maybe TOS is the last genuine Amiga OS. =]

Last edited by terminills on 05-Feb-2011 at 12:56 PM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle