Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
25 crawler(s) on-line.
 111 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Rob:  24 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  28 mins ago
 VooDoo:  33 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 19 mins ago
 agami:  1 hr 53 mins ago
 miggymac:  2 hrs 10 mins ago
 Dragster:  2 hrs 20 mins ago
 Hammer:  3 hrs 24 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  3 hrs 57 mins ago
 matthey:  6 hrs 3 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Alt Amiga OS
      /  [Poll] Should CUSA posts and promotions be allowed at AW.net now and in the future?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 Next Page )
Poll : What do you think we should do with CUSA posts?
Let them be all the time .... CUSA has Amiga name, I like it and other reasons
It should be discussed after the product is realised
It shouldn`t be promoted at all at AW.net
Every user that promotes it against other Amigas should get abuse points

PosterThread
vox 
Re: [Poll] Should CUSA posts and promotions be allowed at AW.net now and in the future?
Posted on 4-Feb-2011 13:53:20
#21 ]
Elite Member

@number6

OK, alt.os and gen.tech

Quote:
"Guess this poll is done.

The winning option:

Treat it as off-topic except in General Technology, Alt Amiga OS, & Free for all.
got 52% of the votes.

So, the future guidelines regarding C=USA.
Start threads in Alt Amiga OS forum if it concerns AROS on C=USA IBM-PC clones.
Otherwise; use General Technology or Free for All.
Poll closed."

This might he moved to gen.tech also if needed, or should be at website section?
Either way poll should continue.

@all

Well, admins should decide what to do if in the future it also happens that missguided CUSA users come here. What should we tell them? Simple to go to Commodore USA forums? As it is happening now, it might intensify in the future.

@clebin

Since almost everyday CUSA fanboys try to discuss non existing product in different matters or discuss it in the existing threads off topic its serious for the website.

Well as you know I don`t see AROS or MOS as enemies, but CUSA is neither friend by so far exercised behaviour. If there was animosity with AROS and MOS (which I have also experienced with thread closed at amigans.net just for mentioning I believe MOS for SAM is good idea) I believe its more and more thing of the past.

While everyone was aware of MOS and AROS developments CUSA comes from external alliance of Amiga Inc with before almost non existing company in their own interest. Its not community developed, and thus has much more power to change things, but should also have greater responsibility. Which they don`t have.

And it really caught people by surprise. When everyone was laughing that amiga.com and Amiga Inc are dead, they found a new drain pipe for money. Aliance of greed and retro. So, each CUSA fanboy and customer is actually helping Amiga Inc keep up with no work ... while Americans and Aussies will try to sell PC for Amiga in Europe. Interesting development in 21st century. In my opinion Its good Amiga Inc at this point did not have the OS. At laast for me, because charade might be greater

Profile     Report this post  
Anonymous 
Re: [Poll] Should CUSA posts and promotions be allowed at AW.net now and in the future?
Posted on 4-Feb-2011 14:06:53
# ]

@vox

I'm pleased you support all Amiga flavours, but you're still part of a pattern that has gone on for years. OS 4 users trying to keep the forums pure by campaigning to get this or that thrown off the site.

There's more anti-CUSA comments on this site than pro. If people really want to get CUSA off the site, they should stop abusing them in random threads.

I think people actually want to ban positive comments about CUSA but allow carte blanche to slag them off without comeback.

Chris

Last edited by clebin on 04-Feb-2011 at 02:07 PM.

Report this post  
WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 4-Feb-2011 14:07:21
#23 ]

@vox

You do realize that C=USA is in the same position with A.Inc as Cloanto, Hyperion or A-eon? There is no alliance whatsoever...

number6 
Posted on 4-Feb-2011 14:16:25
#24 ]
Elite Member

@vox

Quote:
Well, admins should decide what to do if in the future it also happens that missguided CUSA users come here. What should we tell them? Simple to go to Commodore USA forums? As it is happening now, it might intensify in the future

Perhaps a read of the sticky threads, such as those when we started the Alt Amiga OS forums might help. You should see lines such as the following from wegster:

Quote:
there will be some topics or discssions that don't quite 'cleanly' fit into the existing categories, so we'll have to adjust as we go.

What this means is that AW does the best that it can for the present, but also anticipates the future, and that further adjustments might have to be made.
So, your post about admins deciding what to do if a problem exists in the future should be addressed by wegster's and others' posts that indicate nothing is set in stone here.

damocles 
Posted on 4-Feb-2011 14:19:00
#25 ]

@WolfToTheMoon

Quote:
You do realize that C=USA is in the same position with A.Inc as Cloanto, Hyperion or A-eon? There is no alliance whatsoever...

If C=USA spends the amount of money on Amiga advertisement as they did on the C64x TV commercials, I know which of the above will be McBill's favorite.

scOOby 
Posted on 4-Feb-2011 14:25:51
#26 ]

@damocles

Regarding the adds on their webpage.

They advertise WB 5.0 with a boing ball picture as background
see CUSA-OS.
I am not sure but I think they don't have the rights to use the boing ball, do they?

BTW: And I am not sure if the picture of the boing ball is licensed from the artist.

Last edited by scOOby on 04-Feb-2011 at 02:26 PM.
Last edited by scOOby on 04-Feb-2011 at 02:26 PM.

jkirk 
Posted on 4-Feb-2011 14:28:19
#27 ]
Elite Member

@Arko

Quote:

Arko wrote:
@WolfToTheMoon

Quote:

WolfToTheMoon wrote:
.. as long as it's a non-profit organization

This WWW page has an income through banner advertisement, This could hardly count as "non-profit"

in rural areas where i live the EMC corp is non-profit but i still get a power bill each month.

http://www.georgiaemc.com/

Last edited by jkirk on 04-Feb-2011 at 02:36 PM.

Win•dows: n. A thirty-two bit extension and graphical shell to a sixteen-bit patch to an eight-bit operating system originally coded for a four-bit microprocessor which was written by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 4-Feb-2011 14:28:40
#28 ]
Elite Member

@WolfToTheMoon

Quote:

WolfToTheMoon wrote:
@vox

Are you saying Amiga Inc vs C= UAE legal battle has started

Arko 
Posted on 4-Feb-2011 14:33:40
#29 ]

@jkirk

Quote:

he EMC corp is non-profit but i still get a power bill each month

But you could sue them if the bill is not OK.

And this WWW page could taken down, even if it is not an official corporation, you just have to contact the webhoster.

I borrowed this comments from here (#27 & #28):
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38873&forum=2&start=20&order=0

jkirk 
Posted on 4-Feb-2011 14:39:26
#30 ]
Elite Member

@Arko

Quote:
But you could sue them if the bill is not OK.

no you can't sue them for sending you a bill if that is what you meant.

Quote:
And this WWW page could taken down, even if it is not an official corporation, you just have to contact the webhoster.

??

Win•dows: n. A thirty-two bit extension and graphical shell to a sixteen-bit patch to an eight-bit operating system originally coded for a four-bit microprocessor which was written by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.

number6 
Posted on 4-Feb-2011 14:41:59
#31 ]
Elite Member

@jkirk

Quote:

I think he's clearly alluding at an action (real or implied) that would come from the licensor, NOT the licensee.

digitex 
Posted on 4-Feb-2011 14:44:40
#32 ]

@scOOby

Quote:
I am not sure but I think they don't have the rights to use the boing ball, do they?

yes, of course we do, explicitly.

Quote:
BTW: And I am not sure if the picture of the boing ball is licensed from the artist.

yes, of course it is, along with other projects he has done, and is doing for us.

Anything else you need cleared up?

damocles 
Posted on 4-Feb-2011 14:53:24
#33 ]

@scOOby

Quote:
Regarding the adds on their webpage. They advertise WB 5.0 with a boing ball picture as background see CUSA-OS. I am not sure but I think they don't have the rights to use the boing ball, do they?

Yes they do.

Quote:

That can be said of anything really. Sort of like, "Do you beat your wife?" question. We can go with the same game by asking if the artist has a license from AI to recreate AI's trademarks. But why bother?

vox 
Posted on 4-Feb-2011 15:20:56
#34 ]
Elite Member

@Arko

No, again CUSA just have licene to All In One computer as I see from agreement,
it has not purchased Amiga Inc which also has rights after ESCOM. These rights do not go backwards.

@Clebin

I understand the pattern and dislike it, but this time its a bit different since we have external player that disrespects all, and which brings all flavours unto the same plain: consider them as something old and agressivly promotes itself as something higher with no real results or merits.

@Wolf

No, because it distanced itself from the Amiga community since dropping AROS and evaluating PPC and MOS and AOS as obscure, obsolete ... This includes you. Someone claiming to have millions for PR campaign cant hire company to write a new advanced Linux distro, design its own case or really buy and port AOS to x86? If anything real is done for the future of AmigaOS I would respect it.
I see just greed over retro mania, caring for the own sales and lying to the people, classic corporate irresponsibility, not even some try foralliance.

example: What was the offer to MOS and AOS? I bet it was JOIN US for small amounth instead of real partnership. If approach was good and healthy and negotiated with more patience, CUSA had a possibility to be the one that would really have legal full emulation (AmiKit, AmigaForever), a native x86 AmigaOS (MOS or OS 4.1 ported) and ability to run Linux and Winows. That would be a new quality.

At this time they promise most of things people can already do on PC without them.

@number 6
I agree adjustments are needed over time.
But, do you really believe CommodoreOS or Workbench 5 or Just Another Linux
is alternative AmigaOS by information they have provided so far?

@damocles

Once again, I haven`t seen they have transfered rights to use BoingBall from AmigaInc, artist who rendered the pic etc. etc.

Sometimes I am really sorry I am not international lawyer, just a social worker
and educator.

@Arko

"And this WWW page could taken down, even if it is not an official corporation, you just have to contact the webhoster."

Should this be considered as a threat?

If criteria is soo loose, CUSA web site should go down for numerous copyrights discrispect commited since they started having the web page, too ...

@digitex
@democles

There is no copyright or trademark down the page, no document on the web site,
should we trust just the word?

Its a difference (to me) between private use of something that is rendered
for personal use and corporate use of companies for sales of their products.
In courts, second is judged harshly.

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 4-Feb-2011 15:28:35
#35 ]

@vox

FFS! If you want a x86 port of AOS4, then go "torture" Hyperion! They are the ones in command of OS4's destiny, not C=USA! Same for MOS(MOS team).

Quote:
example: What was the offer to MOS and AOS? I bet it was JOIN US for small amounth instead of real partnership.

Why don't you ask them if it is of interest to you?

number6 
Posted on 4-Feb-2011 15:31:21
#36 ]
Elite Member

@vox

Quote:
@number 6
I agree adjustments are needed over time.But, do you really believe CommodoreOS or Workbench 5 or Just Another Linuxis alternative AmigaOS by information they have provided so far?

During the time of the [poll] I suggested "general technology"/"free for all", for a simple reason.

MorphOS and AROS supporters earned their forum and I still feel they deserve to have it free of additional topics to wade through. When the initial barrage of C=USA postings appeared, it seemed clear that this would escalate and that the "icon" system to basically identify areas of user interest would get compromised.

But, I can see that the majority of OP posts made concerning C=USA actually are made by choice in "general technology". Again, it's elective atm as to where to place these posts, and it's merely my personal opinion on the best forum to use in order to keep the peace.

vox 
Posted on 4-Feb-2011 15:33:37
#37 ]
Elite Member

@clebin

About positive comments for CUSA: They should be rewarded for what they do good. But as much as I see they failed from step one, which was to make machine triple boot like Phoenix (AROS) and they promised that before they were sure they can deliver.

Now they are doing almost the same things with case designs and OS.

My real impression (and much of the old school users) is that they are agressively bashing us and promoting their dreams, so who is actualy censoring who?

CUSA boys were always in position to say that in the future they will be "one and only" while CUSA was the company that was constantly censoring the comments on their FB. I don`t know about they forums since I haven`t tried using them.

As I have seen so far since first CUSA announcement came, no user was punished by abuse point or temporary removal or his message was deleted for promoting CUSA. Correct me if I am wrong.

I ve mailed them 1st time asking just for some info on the website / with future Amiga line on the existing AmigaOS 4 while I congratulated them on supporting AROS. Never got even a corporate reply.

to info@commodoreusa.net
cc sales@commodoreusa.net,
support@commodoreusa.net
date Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 12:31 AM
subject About your Amiga computer

how possibile is that you include in your promo materials
that this is Classic Amiga recreation (I suppose AROS+UAE)
and that AmigaOS 4 exists as independent project with SAM and
expected AmigaONE systems with references?

The point is in missguiding people via PR and OS.news that this
is "the Amiga of today", which it isn`t as long as there is legal
OS sucessor in form of OS 4.

It simply negates the years of development.

However, nice to have another AROS bundled hardware.

However, both freely usable AROS and all in one x86 PC`s
existed before, so this is presenting package alongside AmigaINc
blessed name (which is only left Amiga related thing for them to sale)
as innovation.

Arko 
Posted on 4-Feb-2011 17:04:38
#38 ]

@vox

Quote:

vox wrote:
@Arko

No, again CUSA just have licene to... agreement,

I have not seen the agreement ( please post a link ) , but if it looks like the agreement between Hyperion and Amiga Inc. they are now Amiga partner and they could take action against companies violating their name license.
Quote:

Quote:

@Arko

"And this WWW page could taken down, even if it is not an official corporation, you just have to contact the webhoster."

Should this be considered as a threat?

IMR Leo ( Big BenTheAussie) said something like that.

Quote:

If criteria is soo loose, CUSA web site should go down for numerous copyrights discrispect commited since they started having the web page, too ...

That's something between CUSA and the owners of this rights, I'm talking about the name of this "Amiga" Forum and the owner of the name licence for Amiga. Usually companies let sides like these use the name, it would cause a lot of bad blood and negative reactions if they don't do. But if you close out CUSA, they might get the impression it wouldn't harm getting rid of such a source of negative reactions.

I borrowed this comments from here (#27 & #28):
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38873&forum=2&start=20&order=0

damocles 
Posted on 4-Feb-2011 17:05:09
#39 ]

@vox

Quote:
Once again, I haven`t seen they have transfered rights to use BoingBall from AmigaInc, artist who rendered the pic etc. etc.

Have you actually read the license agreement between AI and C=USA? No? Have you read every single contract that C=USA has made so far? No?

Quote:
Sometimes I am really sorry I am not international lawyer, just a social worker and educator.

You don't have to be, you just have to know US laws.

Quote:
There is no copyright or trademark down the page, no document on the web site, should we trust just the word?

If it's posted on the Internet, by international copyright treaties which the US is a signature of, it is automatically copyrighted and does not need any copyright notices to that effect. Unless you personal own any disputed (and as of right now, I have heard of no one stating they have a dispute of their work with C=USA). Your just being ####y and looking for any excuse, real or imaginary, to rag on C=USA which you deemed as a major threat to your camp.

After last night's meeting at Barry's house, I will say your attempts to discredit C=USA are futile as holding a door close against a tidal wave.

Mechanic 
Posted on 4-Feb-2011 17:09:13
#40 ]
Elite Member

@Arko

Quote:

Arko wrote:

I really don't care about the name of what we have. If some legal shenanigans to gain
control of a Spanish word means so much to Barry.......have at it.

Yes, truly a wise way to spend company money and gain friends, possible investors, venture
capitol, and our admiration.

So I suggest the private owner of this site, to avoid conflict, quickly establish another
site with a different name, and sell this one to a worldwide group of gay girls. Then
Barry can sue them for using the name Amiga.

I just want to be there when that hits the fan.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle