Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
16 crawler(s) on-line.
 110 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Gunnar:  10 mins ago
 retrofaza:  22 mins ago
 kolla:  25 mins ago
 saimo:  32 mins ago
 A1200:  34 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  39 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  1 hr 2 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 2 mins ago
 clint:  1 hr 38 mins ago
 RickSkid:  1 hr 48 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Alt Amiga OS
      /  [Poll] Should CUSA posts and promotions be allowed at AW.net now and in the future?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 Next Page )
Poll : What do you think we should do with CUSA posts?
Let them be all the time .... CUSA has Amiga name, I like it and other reasons
It should be discussed after the product is realised
It shouldn`t be promoted at all at AW.net
Every user that promotes it against other Amigas should get abuse points

PosterThread
Wizzard_o 
Re: [Poll] Should CUSA posts and promotions be allowed at AW.net now and in the future?
Posted on 6-Feb-2011 21:30:03
#241 ]
Cult Member
From: UK, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Solar System, Alpha Quadrant, The Milky-Way, Universe. 1.1.1.3.44.HP

@eXec

You just cant help yourself can you eXec...

Wizz.

Profile     Report this post  
eXec 
Re: [Poll] Should CUSA posts and promotions be allowed at AW.net now and in the future?
Posted on 6-Feb-2011 21:37:31
#242 ]
Cult Member

@Wizzard_o

Quote:

Wizzard_o wrote:
@eXec

You just cant help yourself can you eXec...

Wizz.

About what?

Last edited by eXec on 06-Feb-2011 at 09:37 PM.

nimrod7 
Posted on 6-Feb-2011 21:49:06
#243 ]

@vox
Some of the most active aw.net users are not C=USA fanboys but the os4/classic/mos(?) clan people who... love the presence of the C=USA fanboys/trolls and feed them beacuse of an addiction to adrenaline argument delivers. and that's sad.
I'm against fascist-like movements concerning aw.net userbase (expelling from a society etc. etc.), although i don't like trolling and spamming with irrelevant, useless, crappy Ubuntu x86/x86-64 spam with Amiga sticker on it, that shows itself off on the frontpage everytime I visit aw.net.
But I'm also tired of the countless debate what to do with C=USA - just leave them alone, let them post anything and ignore it, it's gonna be better for us all.
the C=USA threads will drop off the frontpage, unless C=USA fanboys are active, but sooner or later they're gonna be tired of talking about non-coherent, non-specified Barry's nightmare. because there is nothing to talk about.
play a good game, meet with a girl/boy/amiga/whatever, leave fanboys alone, make aw.net a comfortable place, which it was - to some degree - in 2010 (the steady grow of all amiga clans).

"Marxism must abhor nothing so much as the possibility that it becomes congealed in its current form. It is at its best when butting heads in self-criticism, and in historical thunder and lightning, it retains its strength" - Rosa Luxemburg.

linnar 
Posted on 6-Feb-2011 22:11:14
#244 ]
Cult Member

@vox

... it's easy to get you started ....

eliyahu 
Posted on 6-Feb-2011 22:24:11
#245 ]

@nimrod7

Quote:
But I'm also tired of the countless debate what to do with C=USA - just leave them alone, let them post anything and ignore it, it's gonna be better for us all.
the C=USA threads will drop off the frontpage, unless C=USA fanboys are active, but sooner or later they're gonna be tired of talking about non-coherent, non-specified Barry's nightmare. because there is nothing to talk about.
play a good game, meet with a girl/boy/amiga/whatever, leave fanboys alone, make aw.net a comfortable place, which it was - to some degree - in 2010 (the steady grow of all amiga clans).

you know, i really didn't want to contribute to yet another CUSA thread, but you've hit on something here.

when i discovered the amiga community in early 2010, one of the nice aspects of it was the community, especially on this site. since CUSA came onto the scene it seems everything has returned to the 'bad old days' of the blue/red troll wars years ago. everything was moving in the right direction: a new SAM, the X1000, AROS making tremendous progress, the hyperion lawsuit settled. it looked like a hobby with a future. it was really fun around here.

it just isn't any more.

i want to go back a year, when CUSA didn't exist, and this community was enjoyable for most of us. but we can't. the amiga brand will soon be attached to PCs running linux. nothing will change that. barry bought the licenses, he's got the capital, he's going to do this. we have zero influence. so all these arguments on CUSA's behavior and product plans just deepen enmity pointlessly.

the amiga platform, though, is still as it was. and AROS and MOS continue as well. i would love to just be able to hit some sort of massive 'ignore' button on CUSA threads, frankly. but instead, i would just say this: i wish them every success with their line of PCs, make a ton of money with the brand (it would be about time), and hope that they will be strong enough to establish their own community elsewhere and let the rest of us enjoy our hobby again.

that way, we can all be happy. so, please, if you want to discuss CUSA, terminillis has kindly created a very nice forum over at commodore-amiga.org. and then AWN can return to arguing about more important things, like whether abbreviations count in scrabble. they don't!

-- eliyahu

DAX 
Posted on 6-Feb-2011 22:33:45
#246 ]
Elite Member

@WolfToTheMoon
Jokes aside, i said it in the past, a joint venture between Cusa and Hyperion would have been a great thing.
Exiting polemics for once, we must consider that Freescale it's not IBM, QorlQ isn't as expensive as Power7, if you order enough pieces you can craft a machine that is both powerful, and costs way less than the X1000.
That machine could have been (or could be? ) something truly unique to sell any Amiga fan, returning, unsuspecting and existing.

Also don't underestimate the "viral" effect a positive Amiga community could bring to the product.

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 6-Feb-2011 22:53:26
#247 ]

@DAX

Quote:
Jokes aside, i said it in the past, a joint venture between Cusa and Hyperion would have been a great thing.

meh... for OS4 fan base yes... for the rest of us, AROS is just as good and a much easier alternative(no porting needed).

Quote:
, if you order enough pieces you can craft a machine that is both powerful, and costs way less than the X1000.

That there is your catch 22. If you order enough... Not enough people want a OS4 computer. And on PPC they do not even have a decent alternative to boot with - those that do not want OS4 or need a more complete OS to work on.

Quote:
That machine could have been (or could be? ) something truly unique to sell any Amiga fan, returning, unsuspecting and existing.

It would be basically the same as X1000(minus the XMOS part). So, nothing lost...

bison 
Posted on 7-Feb-2011 0:58:46
#248 ]
Elite Member

@eliyahu

Quote:
we have zero influence.

That's the way it's always been, back to the very beginning. Jay Miner just about lost his job fighting for 512K RAM (which he didn't get, at least not the way he wanted it) and an edge-connector on the original Amiga 1000, so you shouldn't expect too much!

bison 
Posted on 7-Feb-2011 1:05:39
#249 ]
Elite Member

@nimrod7

Quote:
...Ubuntu x86/x86-64 spam with Amiga sticker on it...

Are you sure its Ubuntu-based?

I know CUSA is planning on using Gnome, but as far as I know the actual distribution has not been revealed. I assume it will be either Ubuntu or Fedora, but it could be something else entirely. But I haven't spent much time on the CUSA website, so maybe this has already been revealed? All I read was "Gnome with eyecandy and a bunch of games," which made my heart sink a little bit.

vox 
Posted on 7-Feb-2011 1:52:26
#250 ]
Elite Member

@bison

Quote:

bison wrote:
@vox

Quote:
I dont know what moderators will say, is relative majority (e.g. same percentage as now) enough for this kind of decision, or absolute one (51%) is needed?

This reminds me of a quote attributed to Thomas Jefferson:

"A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine."

True, everything but direct democracy in Greek style of cities states
is just not it, but this time 51% will not decide, but Council of Moderators

vox 
Posted on 7-Feb-2011 1:53:33
#251 ]
Elite Member

@eXec

Quote:

eXec wrote:
@linnar

Quote:
Later, the Commodore buy AmigaInc. Then take the AmigaOS, etc......

I hope so... and most likely that is 99.9% sure!

Can`t wait...

Time will tell ... We ll talk again in Feb 2012 how is that going

vox 
Posted on 7-Feb-2011 1:57:18
#252 ]
Elite Member

@nimrod7

Hereby, teached by elders, I decide to drop any future activities against CUSA
and live on ...

May they succeed and fail or drop. Nah feed șem

Simple call is called "Nah With em"
and comes from Serbian roots reggae band
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AfUqDF8cMk

@exec

Well then you could expect that is useless to write at AW.net anyway

vox 
Posted on 7-Feb-2011 2:19:41
#253 ]
Elite Member

@bison

Ubuntu was planned Linux at their web site.
They hide it like "snake eggs" but most likely.

Glorious unknown CommodoOS has been revealed.

First time I asked what a heck is Commodo,
I was told it was antivirus.

Now we know its a plan to buy Amiga Inc and AmigaOS one day depending
on CUSA "Amigas" and "Commodores" success.

Either they will succed, or vanish in the global market. May time and Jah
be the judge, as well all mankind that will take part of it, in theirs share.

damocles 
Posted on 7-Feb-2011 4:29:45
#254 ]

@vox

Wow, 13 pages and this thread is still going strong. Vox, I 'm not sure what your really trying to achieve by this thread (or push poll), we both know there is going to be a huge thread started on here once those TV commercials hit the air. If not two or three threads, I doubt it will be contained to a single thread. At that point in time, what good was it to start this thread in the first place?

Arko 
Posted on 7-Feb-2011 8:54:21
#255 ]

@eliyahu

Quote:

... since CUSA came onto the scene it seems everything has returned to the 'bad old days' of the blue/red troll wars years ago....

,, i want to go back a year, when CUSA didn't exist ..

Could you provide at least three links proofing CUSA trolling here ?

I got the impressions as if most trollings where caused by AOS4 fan(atics), one of them was irrationally so upset against CUSA, that he announced not to buy his Nemo board.

BTW.:
When AOS4 gives so much more Amiga experience, you shouldn’t worry about CUSA, their Amiga could only bring people here where you could convince them of a better product.

If CUSA delivers the better Amiga experience, switching to CUSA might be better for the “Amiga community”.

So if you don’t fear about competitions, let CUSA announce what ever they want to.

I borrowed this comments from here (#27 & #28):
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38873&forum=2&start=20&order=0

DAX 
Posted on 7-Feb-2011 10:23:07
#256 ]
Elite Member

@WolfToTheMoon
Quote:
That there is your catch 22. If you order enough... Not enough people want a OS4 computer. meh... for OS4 fan base yes...

For Amiga fanbase.
Don't forget that many Aros and Mos users have expressed interest in the X1000 (either as a full computer or PPC board) if the price was cheap.
AmigaOS has been hindered a lot in the past, so by being late, it has been missing many features up to this point (with high price being another hinder). This won't allow everyone to choose it as his own platform, relegating these systems solely to a selected few.

But there is a change now. AmigaOS is free to evolve once again and the reason the X1000 is being delayed probably has to do with Aeon/Hyperion wanting the system out with full Sata, USB-2.0 and advanced 3D support (the new gallium based 3D driver).

Now on Software: the new situation after the X1000 launch won't make Amiga much different than any other "alternative" solution (alternative to heavy commercial ones such as Windows): programs like Open Office, Blender, Gimp, FireFox are all gonna be available and with the arrival of QT also stuff such as KOFFICE will arrive.

With a twist though: AmigaOS4 is the only operating system that is going to receive the full range of (still)updated original Amiga software (some Amiga software also goes to MOS/Aros, some does not) alongside a ton of open source stuff (also allowing amigaish mingling between these applications).

Considering we also have an xWindows implementation featuring additional software (that CAN be used in Workbench along side other programs) I wonder WHY as an Amigan I would want to limit myself to just gnome.
I might understand who want's to keep a Windows7 PC handy, but gnome??
I can tell you a lot of things (Amigawise) that I will be able to do on X1000 that can't be done in elsewhere, while I don't see anything gnome does that I won't be able to do as well.

So why an Amigan would not want an Amiga and prefer a camouflaged Gnome distro? Out of what software/feature (in the light of all of the above, not past situations and urban legends)?

Price you say?

And that's what I was talking about earlier, order 10.000 QorlQ 60X0 CPUs and build 10.000 competitively priced Amiga-5000.
You will sell all of them way earlier and easier than Cusa's planned machines.

Why?
Because the above mentioned crowd will be interested in it at the resulting cheap price.

On the other hand Linux lovers won't buy Cusa computers (as is today) because they prefer other stuff, Windows and Mac unsuspecting ex A500 owners won't either, as these mainly considered Amiga as a game machine and nothing else (and without PS3 like line-up you better forget about them) and finally you won't sell many to the Hardcore aficionados here or at Amiga.org (or anywhere else).
In the latter Crowd you will be lucky if you sell 20 pieces.

10.000 PPC A5000 are way better than a few hundred pieces sold to the totally un-interested mainstream (un-interested specially after they find out they would just be buying an overpriced gnome PC), and 20 pieces sold to the Hardcore.

Last edited by DAX on 07-Feb-2011 at 10:37 AM.
Last edited by DAX on 07-Feb-2011 at 10:31 AM.

Arko 
Posted on 7-Feb-2011 10:30:45
#257 ]

@DAX

Quote:

DAX wrote:

For Amiga fanbase.
Don't forget that many Aros and Mos users have expressed interest in the X1000 (either as a full computer or PPC board) if the price was cheap.

IF..

If AOS4 gives so much more Amiga experience, you shouldn’t worry about CUSA, their Amiga could only bring people here where you could convince them of a better product.

If CUSA delivers the better Amiga experience, switching to CUSA might be better for the “Amiga community”.

So if you don’t fear about competitions, let CUSA announce what ever they want to.

Last edited by Arko on 07-Feb-2011 at 10:39 AM.

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38873&forum=2&start=20&order=0

DAX 
Posted on 7-Feb-2011 10:33:10
#258 ]
Elite Member

@Arko
I don't argue with your "IF".
I am well aware of the fact that at current price AmigaOS gear is just for the present fanbase.
Since Cusa says they have millions to invest though (and assuming just for a moment its true ) volume production and lower prices would indeed become possible.

Arko 
Posted on 7-Feb-2011 10:44:03
#259 ]

@DAX

Quote:

DAX wrote:
@Arko
I don't argue with your "IF".

It was Your If

Quote:

I am well aware of the fact that at current price AmigaOS gear is just for the present fanbase.

If A1X1K + AOS4 could compete with CUSA's Amigas you should not worry about CUSA announcing here, if not, it might be better for the "Amiga community" to switch to CUSA.

Quote:

Since Cusa says they have millions...

So if they announced such investments, you should welcome CUSA.

BillE 
Posted on 7-Feb-2011 10:49:16
#260 ]

@damocles

It would be a good idea to have links people can actually access. Obviously this CUSA garbage is so secret you have to register/login to some website to look at the pictures.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle