Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
24 crawler(s) on-line.
 41 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

pixie

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 pixie:  3 mins ago
 BigD:  23 mins ago
 chloeneelson:  31 mins ago
 VooDoo:  33 mins ago
 agami:  58 mins ago
 jakiv:  1 hr 16 mins ago
 jPV:  1 hr 31 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  1 hr 40 mins ago
 pavlor:  2 hrs 21 mins ago
 Gunnar:  2 hrs 54 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Alt Amiga OS
      /  [Poll] Should CUSA posts and promotions be allowed at AW.net now and in the future?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 Next Page )
Poll : What do you think we should do with CUSA posts?
Let them be all the time .... CUSA has Amiga name, I like it and other reasons
It should be discussed after the product is realised
It shouldn`t be promoted at all at AW.net
Every user that promotes it against other Amigas should get abuse points

PosterThread
Arko 
Re: [Poll] Should CUSA posts and promotions be allowed at AW.net now and in the future?
Posted on 7-Feb-2011 13:54:41
#281 ]

@T-J

Quote:

T-J wrote:
@ruben

I'm still quite new around here. Who's Bill Buck?

edit - Google is good for something at least - its the Genesi guy. I never paid them much attention, though. By the time I came along they'd left PPC and MOS in favour of ARM.

Bill Buck is someone who had a licence for "an Amiga Produkt" before Hyperion got one. ;)

I borrowed this comments from here (#27 & #28):
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38873&forum=2&start=20&order=0

Profile     Report this post  
eXec 
Re: [Poll] Should CUSA posts and promotions be allowed at AW.net now and in the future?
Posted on 7-Feb-2011 13:58:21
#282 ]
Cult Member

@Arko

Quote:
And you posting in this forum with possibly wrong suspicions could be counted as slander or even as trolling.

Don`t take him that as a harm.. He promised that it is his last post about CUSA...

So, it`s worth as a sacrifice ... we don`t want him to start with the new round of Wikipedia
quotes!

eXec 
Posted on 7-Feb-2011 13:59:09
#283 ]
Cult Member

@Arko

Quote:
Bill Buck is someone who had a licence for "an Amiga Produkt" before Hyperion got one. ;)

What happen to him?

Arko 
Posted on 7-Feb-2011 14:16:38
#284 ]

@eXec

Quote:

eXec wrote:
@Arko

What happen to him?

The licence was for AmigaDE port for a product from Tendic.(a daughter of Genesi)

Bill Buck sued Amiga Inc. because they did not deliver, in the meantime Amiga inc. named AmigaOS as a part of AmigaDE. And Genesi was interested in getting the Amiga brand for their own products, maybe this would have been a chance getting MorphOS branded AmigaOS, something they where in negotiations with Amiga Inc. before Hyperion got this brand.

After Genesi developed and sold some PPC desktop and possible netbook computers and showed some prototypes for STBs and media player based on PPCs, they failed to get investors for new PPC projects (small server, desktop and netbook) .

So they did what Freescale did, they switched to ARM. MorphOS was heavily supported by Genesi because it was planned as ‘Amiga compatible PPC OS’ for STBs and Netbooks.

Now they are working with ARM and Linux like everybody else does.

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38873&forum=2&start=20&order=0

eXec 
Posted on 7-Feb-2011 14:18:44
#285 ]
Cult Member

@Arko

Jesus, every single story in modern Amiga history goes riot ;)

eliyahu 
Posted on 7-Feb-2011 14:42:19
#286 ]

@Arko

Quote:
Could you provide at least three links proofing CUSA trolling here ?

I got the impressions as if most trollings where caused by AOS4 fan(atics), one of them was irrationally so upset against CUSA, that he announced not to buy his Nemo board.

no, no. i wasn't suggesting CUSA was trolling at all. what i meant was that the animosity around here is similar to that seen during the red/blue wars of years past.

not suggesting CUSA was trolling -- just that things are getting ugly around here. as to who is at fault, well, i suppose we all have had a part in it. when i said i wish we could go back a year, i meant i wish we could go back to a nice, somewhat cohesive community.

-- eliyahu

-Sam- 
Posted on 7-Feb-2011 14:48:36
#287 ]
Elite Member

@eXec

Quote:
What happen to him?

Probably still playing Peg-Pong.

In his head.

eXec 
Posted on 7-Feb-2011 14:52:58
#288 ]
Cult Member

@eliyahu

Quote:

eliyahu wrote:
@Arko

Quote:
Could you provide at least three links proofing CUSA trolling here ?

I got the impressions as if most trollings where caused by AOS4 fan(atics), one of them was irrationally so upset against CUSA, that he announced not to buy his Nemo board.

no, no. i wasn't suggesting CUSA was trolling at all. what i meant was that the animosity around here is similar to that seen during the red/blue wars of years past.

not suggesting CUSA was trolling -- just that things are getting ugly around here. as to who is at fault, well, i suppose we all have had a part in it. when i said i wish we could go back a year, i meant i wish we could go back to a nice, somewhat cohesive community.

-- eliyahu

That`s a great idea.. but here are a few too radical people that are
obviously "fight animators". For instance, if anyone says anything beside Hyperion/AEon,
he is instantly being laugh out and declared as a demented one...
That`s the base where all the argues are starting...

eXec 
Posted on 7-Feb-2011 14:53:36
#289 ]
Cult Member

@-Sam-

Quote:

-Sam- wrote:
@eXec

Quote:
What happen to him?

Probably still playing Peg-Pong.

In his head.

Well, that can be a nasty thing... for the head i mean ;)

eliyahu 
Posted on 7-Feb-2011 15:01:55
#290 ]

@eXec

Quote:
That`s a great idea.. but here are a few too radical people that are
obviously "fight animators". For instance, if anyone says anything beside Hyperion/AEon,
he is instantly being laugh out and declared as a demented one...
That`s the base where all the argues are starting...

i don't know that it's limited to OS4 users, but i take your general point. folks turn differences into grudges that last forever. and those fights eventually turn into name-calling or worse. it needn't be that way.

for example, as you might remember, when CUSA first appeared, i was very hard on barry based on some of his actions. once he corrected what i thought was inappropriate, i let it go. and barry turned out to be a nice chap, dedicated and sincere once i gave him the chance. folks can certainly disagree about certain actions taken, but at some point, they need to let it go. i mean, people are still so angry at ben hermans or bill buck or (take your pick) that they have to intrude angrily on every thread about OS4 or MOS or (whatever).

this is a wonderful hobby: i've used classic hardware, UAE on my PC, and all of the 'next-gen' options, but consider OS4 as the experience i most enjoy. but i also want others to have as much fun with their choice as i have with mine. i don't know why it is so necessary to constantly repeat the same, tired argument fueled by ancient hatreds.

maybe this is because i missed all of the 'unpleasantness' of earlier years.

i want CUSA to succeed. i don't think they have the same direction the community has taken all these years, which is why i think it makes more sense to create a second community. i also want the X1000 to succeed. and natami. and the imica. and all the rest.

this is supposed to be enjoyable. anger towards 'other camps' makes it less so.

-- eliyahu

persia 
Posted on 7-Feb-2011 15:02:49
#291 ]

@Arko

So Amiga Inc did him a favour.

T-J 
Posted on 7-Feb-2011 15:19:00
#292 ]
Cult Member

@eliyahu

Quote:
Barry turned out to be a nice chap, dedicated and sincere once i gave him the chance.

Just asking, but what have you found out that has made you change your mind? I haven't been able to discover anything positive on the internets myself.

eXec 
Posted on 7-Feb-2011 15:26:20
#293 ]
Cult Member

@eliyahu

Quote:
i want CUSA to succeed. i don't think they have the same direction the community has taken all these years, which is why i think it makes more sense to create a second community. i also want the X1000 to succeed. and natami. and the imica. and all the rest. this is supposed to be enjoyable. anger towards 'other camps' makes it less so.

If only 50% of people think like you, no argues will appear anymore.

There are few ones here that are in the last few days as the major
anti CUSA leaders. Just check this thread from the very first begging.
It`s quite desperate... what do you say about it?

eliyahu 
Posted on 7-Feb-2011 15:27:10
#294 ]

@T-J

Quote:
Just asking, but what have you found out that has made you change your mind? I haven't been able to discover anything positive on the internets myself.

just communication via email and PMs here on this site. the direction they are going -- branded PCs running linux -- isn't one i plan on participating in, but barry isn't a bad guy. i think he would admit his initial reaction to the initial reactions of others wasn't exactly the most conducive to a positive relationship, but that's changed.

i was really incensed about the whole OSnews debacle. but then barry apologized. that was enough for me; and when you're upset at someone and they change their behavior, the least you can do is give them another chance.

their focus isn't on our community at all, but rather on the wider world. the world that goes to a best buy to purchase a laptop for their children, for example. it's not our hobby, of course, and the 'rebirth' of the amiga will be the rebirth of just the brand itself on a commercial level, nothing more. if their plans change from what has been announced, of course i'll keep an open mind, but for now, it isn't for me.

but that doesn't mean we have to keep fighting about ad infinitum.

-- eliyahu

eliyahu 
Posted on 7-Feb-2011 15:41:00
#295 ]

@eXec

Quote:
There are few ones here that are in the last few days as the major
anti CUSA leaders. Just check this thread from the very first begging.
It`s quite desperate... what do you say about it?

obviously i cannot speak for others, but i understand where they are coming from. forgive me if this is a rather long reply....

go back to october of 2009: the lawsuit between hyperion and amiga, inc., had been settled mostly in hyperion's favor. shortly thereafter the X1000 was announced, along with the SAM460 a few months after that.

the world looked poised for a 'comeback' of the amiga platform: the amigaOS was firmly in the hands of hyperion and plenty of hardware was coming, too. people thought the platform was finally on firm footing. and then, out of nowhere, comes some fellow from florida who achieves something no one else had in a decade: the joining of the commodore and amiga brands. and what he intended to do with them, turning the 'amiga' into a linux-based PC, was anathema to the community and, for most, a complete opposite of what they had hoped.

and CUSA got started on the wrong foot, too: the copyright debacle, the threat to OSnews, and the replies on public fora of barry and leo to people's unhappy reaction to all of that.

so now, after all of that is long-gone, people are still angry. they see CUSA as a threat, something to take the thunder away from amigaOS and the new hardware. they fear that people will rediscover the 'amiga' thinking that it is a PC running linux and all the hard work of tons of people over a decade will be effectively ignored.

the truth is that CUSA isn't a threat. on the contrary. once the CUSA amigas are announced, and people do google searches, they might find about OS4 (or MOS or AROS) and think that is more interesting to them than a PC. and if they don't, well, they wouldn't have been interested in our little community in any case, now would they? it's not as though there is any marketing being done outside our community for OS4, or MOS, or AROS, right? if fifty people decide to join our community once CUSA goes public having just discovered us, that would be a benefit, not a detraction.

everyone needs to just calm down. CUSA is shipping PCs, everyone understands that. the folks here who are excited wouldn't have been a part of the OS4/MOS world in any case. and the OS4/MOS folks aren't interested in PCs running linux. we are coming from two different perspectives, neither any less valid than the other.

if we can't get along here, then maybe a split is needed. but that would be a shame. i wouldn't convince you that OS4 is the greatest thing since sliced bread, and you wouldn't convince me that WB5 is going to be better than what hyperion/A-EON are going to deliver. and we don't need to convince each other; we just need to respect the choices the other has made and help to keep building a community with the 'amiga spirit.'

after all, that's why i'm here.

-- eliyahu

eXec 
Posted on 7-Feb-2011 15:54:48
#296 ]
Cult Member

@eliyahu

Man, at least decent and constructive post among this hostile environment!
Hopefully things will calm down and PPC blood seeking warriors will accept
the fact that CUSA is here and will be here for a long, long time. Sooner they
accept that fact , better for them. I personally think that even A Eon will
get some side benefits out of CUSA and their new generation Amigas....

Just the fact that they managed to bring C= and Amiga together says a lot
to all of us... They did what is the strongest and most influential thing in the
last few years, a decade I dare to say. That will play a major role in the
further future of Amiga.

Last edited by eXec on 07-Feb-2011 at 03:55 PM.

T-J 
Posted on 7-Feb-2011 16:05:30
#297 ]
Cult Member

@eXec

He said *everyone* needs to calm down. You PC 'blood warriors' might consider toning down your... enthusiasm a bit too while we wait for anything to actually emerge from any of this.

eXec 
Posted on 7-Feb-2011 16:17:10
#298 ]
Cult Member

@T-J

Quote:

T-J wrote:
@eXec

He said *everyone* needs to calm down. You PC 'blood warriors' might consider toning down your... enthusiasm a bit too while we wait for anything to actually emerge from any of this.

List through the past few months post history... and look how many "PC" blood
warriors will you find attacking, and how many defending themselves.

Arko 
Posted on 7-Feb-2011 16:24:11
#299 ]

@eliyahu

Quote:

no, no. i wasn't suggesting CUSA was trolling at all.

Sorry, missunderstood your intetions

Quote:

what i meant was that the animosity around here is similar to that seen during the red/blue wars of years past.

Some people are feeling offended. I doesn't like CUSA's style of appearance and I'm 90% sure they don't bring anything I want to buy, but as long as they behaves like a normal company offering a product "for" and not "against" the "Community" I don't see any reason why they should be blocked out.

BigBentheAussie 
Posted on 7-Feb-2011 16:46:45
#300 ]

@Arko

Quote:
a normal company offering a product "for" and not "against" the "Community" I don't see any reason why they should be blocked out.

We are not against the community at all. We communicated with A-Eon/Hyperion, MorphOS team and AROS Devs about possibilities. We even tried to do AROS before that avenue got blocked. We can only do what we are allowed to legally and there is no point blaming us for restrictions imposed on us by others. We are not the evil enemy as much as you try to portray us as that.

If you don't like our hardware or OS you might be interested in our Commodore and Amiga branded accessories and cases, for whatever hardware you want to call an Amiga. It doesn't have to be all bad.

Last edited by BigBentheAussie on 07-Feb-2011 at 04:50 PM.
Last edited by BigBentheAussie on 07-Feb-2011 at 04:49 PM.
Last edited by BigBentheAussie on 07-Feb-2011 at 04:49 PM.
Last edited by BigBentheAussie on 07-Feb-2011 at 04:47 PM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle