Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
14 crawler(s) on-line.
 136 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 A1200:  9 mins ago
 pixie:  18 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  20 mins ago
 retrofaza:  35 mins ago
 OlafS25:  55 mins ago
 BigD:  55 mins ago
 zErec:  1 hr 2 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 5 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 49 mins ago
 edwardsjethro:  2 hrs 40 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Alt Amiga OS
      /  [Poll] Should CUSA posts and promotions be allowed at AW.net now and in the future?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 Next Page )
Poll : What do you think we should do with CUSA posts?
Let them be all the time .... CUSA has Amiga name, I like it and other reasons
It should be discussed after the product is realised
It shouldn`t be promoted at all at AW.net
Every user that promotes it against other Amigas should get abuse points

PosterThread
Mechanic 
Re: [Poll] Should CUSA posts and promotions be allowed at AW.net now and in the future?
Posted on 4-Feb-2011 19:27:16
#61 ]
Elite Member

I wonder....

How did AInc get exclusive rights to the word Amiga?

Pay off some Spanish bureaucrat?

Offer the people of Spain free tee shirts?

Make a deal with the...

Win it in a drawing?

@vox

Quote:
Americans believe they invented that now global thing called democracy, but educated people know its Greeks

Thank you for the education, and kick in the teeth.

Profile     Report this post  
ruben 
Re: [Poll] Should CUSA posts and promotions be allowed at AW.net now and in the future?
Posted on 4-Feb-2011 19:30:47
#62 ]

@Wizzard_o

Quote:
The PC C= USA are re-badging has absolutely NOTHING to do with Genuine Amiga's

Ahhh, the quest for the True Amiga! That extremely useful discussion that will really boost the fun and user base in this community...

Quote:
(That's Computers capable of running Amiga OS1.x to Amiga OS4.x NATIVELY by the way...)

So that would include the generic PowerPC board using an off the shelf enclosure that Acube put together? Well, I think you should tell them something, because they're calling it SAM, not Amiga.

persia 
Posted on 4-Feb-2011 19:35:33
#63 ]

@vox

Which is what's confusing, an "All in One" computer is like an iMac or an HP Omni 200t (or a laptop or tablet for that matter). Are they deliberately confusing the two so that they can say to AsiaRIM "We said all in one you didn't correct up so we can now produce them."

persia 
Posted on 4-Feb-2011 19:43:38
#64 ]

@Mechanic
It's exclusive use to the word for computers. Apple can't stop farmers in New Zealand from growing Apples but they can stop them from growing Apple Computers ;)

vox 
Posted on 4-Feb-2011 19:45:09
#65 ]
Elite Member

@Wizzard_o

Quote:

Wizzard_o wrote:
I am sick and tired of PC promoters constantly on the offensive against OS 4 and it's related hardware.

The PC C= USA are re-badging has absolutely NOTHING to do with Genuine Amiga's (That's Computers capable of running Amiga OS1.x to Amiga OS4.x NATIVELY by the way...)

I guess I’ll be branded a delusional fan-boy because I don’t share Barry's 'Vision'... A tacky all in one PC (that someone else built) running a version of Linux hacked about to look the OS3.x and insultingly named 'Workbench 5'!

[/quote]

Respected opinion!

I also simply fail to see any grand vision there to be shared. Just a simple rebrand like I would sell redesign toasters, call them Amiga Toaster, they do everything toasters are supposed to do, but I make packaging and promo that it looks like
VisionTek AmigaToaster and put a bit more price on it. And say my toaster will only have slightly customized bred and toasted bred as result, but it will not affect average joe`s toasting.

Watch out good Whizz, you might also be labeled as "Serbian nazi" like I was

DAX 
Posted on 4-Feb-2011 19:52:47
#66 ]
Elite Member

@ruben
On a Sam I can run a 68K program like ArtEffect and have it communicate with a PPC program like Blender through Arrex. (as they are running together in the same OS, not one in an OS and the other under emulation), all while running Deluxe Paint IV from the original floppy (still directly in the same environment, no emulation).

Cool things you know, certainly better than running a face-lifted Gnome distro...

Last edited by DAX on 04-Feb-2011 at 07:54 PM.

Mechanic 
Posted on 4-Feb-2011 20:04:52
#67 ]
Elite Member

@persia

Quote:

persia wrote:
@Mechanic
It's exclusive use to the word for computers. 'snip'

Yup! Computers. ( Well, one computer.)

Not websites, underwear, coffee mugs, etc....

Last edited by Mechanic on 04-Feb-2011 at 08:17 PM.

vox 
Posted on 4-Feb-2011 20:05:25
#68 ]
Elite Member

@amigappc

Quote:

I did not bothered to read all comments on this subject but....

My opinion on subject is that everyone has right to talk and defend their reasons or products as long it does not include insulting other users or other systems.

Thank you.

Respected also. I will not cross compile different threats and bashes by CUSA boys since last year - about how we live in stone age, use dead CPU`s, AROS is suddenly worthless even it was originally highly praised in CUSA news etc. That might be backfire to what Amigans have told them - that they sell ordinary PC little modded and that they use Workbench name to misslead the people, but thats not much of an insult, closer to truth then their claims (altough compared to x86 Windows users needs they are also right).

jas_mc 
Posted on 4-Feb-2011 20:15:28
#69 ]

@ruben

"Ahhh, the quest for the True Amiga! That extremely useful discussion that will really boost the fun and user base in this community..."

AGREED.

Like it or not, Amiga has become a brand that is bought, sold, licensed. If I'd paid good money to use the brand, I'd be annoyed by some guy on a forum thinking he had more of a right to say what is or isn't an Amiga than I did.

This goes both ways though. AmigaOS 4 users shouldn't lord their "officialness" over MOS or AROS users, but neither should C=USA expect anyone on this forum to give a crap about their proposed product line, just because they've secured the name "Amiga". It's not a magic word and it's not a special trump card that means all Amiga enthusiasts should follow you and your vision.

When C=USA announced the Amiga licensing - especially when they were talking about AROS - there was this weird streak of people almost going "Ha ha! THAT'S the official Amiga now! You HAVE to accept it because OFFICIAL IS OFFICIAL!" It's bloody ridiculous.

Mechanic 
Posted on 4-Feb-2011 20:22:15
#70 ]
Elite Member

@jas_mc

Quote:

jas_mc wrote:
It's not a magic word and it's not a special trump card that means all Amiga enthusiasts should follow you and your vision.

Why not?

We followed AmigaAnywhere didn't we.

vox 
Posted on 4-Feb-2011 20:24:03
#71 ]
Elite Member

@ruben

Quote:

Ahhh, the quest for the True Amiga! That extremely useful discussion that will really boost the fun and user base in this community...

Well if you are looking what isn`t real Amiga,
I am sure CUSA should be listed.

Quote:
So that would include the generic PowerPC board using an off the shelf enclosure that Acube put together? Well, I think you should tell them something, because they're calling it SAM, not Amiga.

Well, just to remind people AmigaOS 4.x was ment to go open to PCI and boards, so yes call it clone. I would dub it "internal clone" since it can run the OS ...

CUSA could go for "external clone". Shell look a like. Sticker is there, it might one day look like A1200 or A3000, but nothing else.

SAM is called SAM because of Josemite SAM you might remember from
the Looney Tunes (at least Acube say so!). They have tried to get it to be Amiga 440 as far as I remember, but Amiga Inc turned them down (even Amiga Inc web site has dedicated e-mail for such licencing). Details again unknown.

SAM is small line, small money. If they had some investor and payed it well, I am sure we would have Amiga 440 and Amiga 460 today. However, its not most important thing to me and other users. If I was Amiga Inc I would give them a minimal fee option or some small percentage of sell, rights to make a Amiga look like case and we would have much more Amigish CUSA before the CUSA reinvented the wheel.

CUSA must have been much more persuasive ($$$) or knew some real way how to contact Amiga Inc. As much as I remember from before. e-mails used to be not replied for ages, people went to their adresses and no one and no thing was there.

vox 
Posted on 4-Feb-2011 20:29:26
#72 ]
Elite Member

@Mechanic

Quote:

Why not?

We followed AmigaAnywhere didn't we.

I haven`t

Only product that Amiga Inc has promised and never delivered was
special version of Amiga Forever for OS4
https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0BxlY9g_OfLqDMzgxY2Y3YjItZWQxMS0

See AmigaInc already announced it, but this is what I get from Cloanto

"As for the announcement by Amiga (the Washington company, as you see by the "Seattle" introduction), I recall that they were unable to conclude that agreement,as they were transitioning to the new KMOS = Amiga Delaware company. But with the latter we then never signed anything (other than an agreement to put Amiga Forever on amiga.com"

That is why situations of e.g. CUSA and AROS reminds me of Amiga Inc.

DAX 
Posted on 4-Feb-2011 20:30:55
#73 ]
Elite Member

@jas_mc
I don't think it works like that.
Mos and Aros, are both noble attempts at reviving Amiga and holding a legitimate and important place in true Amiga History.
Simply put Aros and Mos are a big part of it, Cusa's stuff it's not.

As for AmigaOS4, whether some people likes it or not, it is the next step/evolution of the AmigaOS source code (check the 25 year of development video or ask Olsen details about it ). and thanks to that, it allows all kind of cool things such as what I wrote in my last post.
There is a History, and this History (and actual products) decide if you are part of the Amiga family or not. And simply put, Cusa's masquarade ain't part of it.

jas_mc 
Posted on 4-Feb-2011 20:32:30
#74 ]

@Mechanic

I was saying just yesterday (maybe the day before) how baffling I found AmigaAnywhere.

vox 
Posted on 4-Feb-2011 20:32:59
#75 ]
Elite Member

@persia

Somehow they quickly expanded from All in one design of Phoenix
to not making any integration, and I assume when specs are out,
using plain boards (what CUSA boys call "clones' in the PPC world, however
they forget that IBM PC mass spreaded the term and they intend to use its cloned arhitecture of nowadays).

Their licence just keeps expanding like a black whole

jas_mc 
Posted on 4-Feb-2011 20:41:10
#76 ]

@DAX

For what it's worth, I'm an AmigaOS wellwisher more than the others, and don't plan to support C=USA.

But if AmigaOS 4 *is* the most legitimate successor to the old Amiga - which I agree with - then it's because of the stuff to do with legacy and source code, and *not* the happy fact that it still has "Amiga" in its name.

If for some reason MorphOS were to be called AmigaOS and vice versa, I'm sure you would still regard your OS of choice as the most legitimate successor. Equally, I'm sure you regard a Sam as a more meaningful "Amiga" than an Amiga-branded PC or ARES computer would be. And I'm sure AROS users and MOS users have reasons for disagreeing

Happily or sadly, right or wrong, the word Amiga now goes to the highest bidder. That battle was lost, so it's worth looking beyond the brand and focusing on what parts of the experience/ legacy we care about.

EDIT: ...and if C=USA ends up making blues and reds think the other side wasn't so bad after all, then that's not a bad thing

Last edited by jas_mc on 04-Feb-2011 at 08:42 PM.

DAX 
Posted on 4-Feb-2011 21:12:43
#77 ]
Elite Member

@jas_mc
That the word "Amiga" can be purchased, it's not arguable as facts seems to confirm, let's just say it would be better if it fell in more "Amiga-related" hands...

Quote:
...and if C=USA ends up making blues and reds think the other side wasn't so bad after all, then that's not a bad thing

It's like the coming of an hostile alien race, wouldn't that unite all the peoples of the earth? (we're all "earthians" afterall ).

Last edited by DAX on 04-Feb-2011 at 09:15 PM.

Mechanic 
Posted on 4-Feb-2011 21:35:03
#78 ]
Elite Member

@DAX

Quote:

DAX wrote:
(we're all "earthians" afterall ).

Speak for yourself!

P.S. Gee, this thread has me wondering about many things.

Since AInc. owns the Amiga name related to computer/computer related equipment,
could they license it to who ever came up with the bucks and not a product that
it is already licensed for?

edit: added P.S.

Last edited by Mechanic on 04-Feb-2011 at 09:42 PM.

bison 
Posted on 4-Feb-2011 21:45:06
#79 ]
Elite Member

@vox

Quote:
It was already decided it goes to alt.OS but in reality there is no OS or the hardware yet, just some agressive PR especially towards Amiga community and some censorship towards criticism.

In other words, it's about the same as it was with CBM.

I don't have high hopes for CUSA, but let them be. Taking a tiny community and splitting it in half again is not a good idea. Besides, I'd hate to be part of a community that just can't bear to have people posting dissenting opinions.

number6 
Posted on 4-Feb-2011 21:54:45
#80 ]
Elite Member

@Mechanic

Quote:
Since AInc. owns the Amiga name related to computer/computer related equipment,
could they license it to who ever came up with the bucks and not a product that
it is already licensed for?

Maybe you can get a sense of that from the article concerning the sale

If not, I'm sure Pluritas could supply details directly on what is actually being offered.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle