Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
13 crawler(s) on-line.
 93 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 pixie:  27 mins ago
 amigakit:  30 mins ago
 Vidar:  45 mins ago
 AmigaPapst:  56 mins ago
 RobertB:  1 hr 14 mins ago
 bhabbott:  1 hr 36 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  1 hr 45 mins ago
 Swisso:  2 hrs 2 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  2 hrs 3 mins ago
 Hypex:  2 hrs 4 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Alt Amiga OS
      /  [Poll] Should CUSA posts and promotions be allowed at AW.net now and in the future?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 Next Page )
Poll : What do you think we should do with CUSA posts?
Let them be all the time .... CUSA has Amiga name, I like it and other reasons
It should be discussed after the product is realised
It shouldn`t be promoted at all at AW.net
Every user that promotes it against other Amigas should get abuse points

PosterThread
vox 
Re: [Poll] Should CUSA posts and promotions be allowed at AW.net now and in the future?
Posted on 4-Feb-2011 22:01:39
#81 ]
Elite Member

@number6

Well, yes, again "selling fog" (thats what we say in Serbia, I assume each nation has such wisdom word).

Now when CUSA got the "retro computers" and someone else
will get name for what? Toasters, windows? In Serbia
www.amiga.rs sells public lightning etc.
http://www.amiga.rs/index_en.htm

Profile     Report this post  
Arko 
Re: [Poll] Should CUSA posts and promotions be allowed at AW.net now and in the future?
Posted on 4-Feb-2011 22:07:34
#82 ]

@bison

Quote:

bison wrote:
I don't have high hopes for CUSA, but let them be.

I have to agree

Quote:

Taking a tiny community and splitting it in half again is not a good idea.

Interest in CUSA products is only coming from a very small part of "the community". You wont get any AOS4, MOS or AROS user buying a CUSA Amiga.
Most people here knew what a CUSA Amiga will be and the minority that posted positive reactions about CUSA will only buy, when CUSA has something more than a Amiga themed Linux in an overpriced box.
For people from outside "the community", people that never showed interest in AOS4, MOS or AROS, a CUSA Amiga might be the right choice.
Therefor a CUSA Amiga is no threat for the existing community at all.

I borrowed this comments from here (#27 & #28):
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38873&forum=2&start=20&order=0

damocles 
Posted on 4-Feb-2011 22:17:36
#83 ]

@bison

Quote:
I don't have high hopes for CUSA, but let them be. Taking a tiny community and splitting it in half again is not a good idea. Besides, I'd hate to be part of a community that just can't bear to have people posting dissenting opinions.

Stop looking from inside the community and look out side to the 30M plus former C64/Vic/Amiga users out there. That is what going to be tapped, not the few thousand that read AO/AWN/Moo. The days of picking over the few Amiga folks sitting on the fence as war booty is about to come to a close. If C=USA lives up to half of what I am expecting by July, the comparison of existing Amiga related companies to C=USA is going to be staggering for many who read AWN. There is always a chance of a disaster with C=USA's launch, but I think it's pretty remote because what companies and people C=USA has associated with.

vox 
Posted on 4-Feb-2011 22:20:23
#84 ]
Elite Member

@Arko

If they would stop promoting NO product so agressively and bashing to us, leave the Workbench 5 name (CommodoreOS) AND include at least sign that we do exist, I would vote for LET THEM BE. Because I believe these terms are what every normal, polite and bussines oriented man should do.

About NOT being a threat: they compete only to ARES One line of products in sense of Amiga emulator system, while ARES offers AROS and some more 68k software too.
So it`s a bit threat to them.

It`s threat to AmigaOne X1000 in terms it might overshadow its promotion with more money. How can I say ... like flies ... not dangerous but agressivly boring and stabborn And imagining to be a tidal wave no one can stop!

vox 
Posted on 4-Feb-2011 22:24:21
#85 ]
Elite Member

@damocles

While we seem to be on opposite sides, I will ask the same question as your "answer was"

What companies and people C=USA has associated with?

List of companies that have signed any form of agreement,
people and companies hired by CUSA to do the Linux distro etc.
would be benefitial to improve CUSA bussines look from "childish" to "real".

I agree potential exist, but same userbase might just like MOS or OS 4.1 only if they were aware of it as what is most likely to be continuation of their experience. Its also very likely they have PC and WinUAE by now.

e.g. Typing Amiga or Amiga computer on Google doesn`t discover either on first page.
Typing AmigaOS brings Hyperion as second link.

vox 
Posted on 4-Feb-2011 22:30:13
#86 ]
Elite Member

@damocles

And if you look into the community (I see both CUSA, Pluritas and Amiga Inc keep insisting on "best community" "active community""recognoized brand" while in reality they do nothing for its desire to cotinue AmigaOS`s development that stopped just between 1994 and 2001 (when PPC porting started). If we include MOS and AROS it never ceased.

If AW.net or Amiga.org are widest possible active community portals in 2011
"the voice of the people" is quite against it - I again say, just because of CUSA moves and CUSA fanboys comments on everything existing.

From the other hand, sometimes when I go to see Commodore Amiga forum or CUSA facebook I see a lot of promises, very little specified who, when, where and a lot of users with big expectations and dreams. Just like my delusional ideas how to get out of the Amiga PPC crisis and advance (e.g. threads about PPC 615, Matrox drivers, Transmeta, PPC on PCI card, WINE on PPC Linux or WindowsNT PPC with x86 emulator) Its same kind of dreams just x86 oriented - some wish kind of AmigaOS X, other have ideas how to mix Linux and AmigaOS etc. etc.

jas_mc 
Posted on 4-Feb-2011 22:40:38
#87 ]

@damocles

Amigaworld members are going to view this from inside the community because that's their only stake in this. They're not interested in C=USA's business proposals, so the only thing they're interested in is whether or not C=USA will affect the communities and companies they do care about.

If C=USA lives up to triple what you're expecting by July, then your average Amigaworld member still won't be interested in buying the company's products. Sorry

I'd be interested to hear why you're optimistic (this isn't rhetoric by the way - I'm genuinely interested).

The way I see it is, Ubuntu hasn't taken off as a pre-installed OS, and I'd be pretty damn impressed by an alternative OS that could get better traction in that respect than Ubuntu.

DAX 
Posted on 4-Feb-2011 23:10:42
#88 ]
Elite Member

@damocles
As other explained elsewhere it has nothing to do with success. How delusional would it be for Amigans to think "hey we're really back!" when it's just Gnome and a couple of stickers?

Also don't forget that even unsuspecting ex-amigans aren't exactly living under a rock, they do own a Windows7 or SnowLeopard machine.
You might come back to Amiga for love, legacy, for wanting it climb back somewhat, but if you're just a linux box in a plastic case, who tells you Windows7 loving (and unsuspecting) ex-amigans will have any interest?
Those that did (just a few), did only because they were misled by Cusa into thinking it was Commodore coming back with exlusive hardware designs and the Amiga operating system (workbecnh5...come on, if you are not trying to con users than call it something else).
Once they discover that what they offer was already available a year ago, two years ago, 3 years ago (and more) they will just lose interest, simple as that (but they might find it again once they learn exclusive HW designs running the Amiga Operating System do really exist).
In the end, ex-Amigans are all adults today, they are not that wet behind the ears.

Last edited by DAX on 04-Feb-2011 at 11:12 PM.

ruben 
Posted on 4-Feb-2011 23:20:18
#89 ]

@vox

Quote:
Well if you are looking what isn`t real Amiga

I'm not. For me, that's not the point of this hobby.

sundown 
Posted on 4-Feb-2011 23:30:41
#90 ]
Elite Member

@damocles

Quote:
Stop looking from inside the community and look out side to the 30M plus former C64/Vic/Amiga users out there. That is what going to be tapped,

LOL, the same was true when the A1's were about to come out, some of us jumped, but the die hard classic users haven't budged.

ruben 
Posted on 4-Feb-2011 23:46:49
#91 ]

@sundown

Quote:
LOL, the same was true when the A1's were about to come out, some of us jumped, but the die hard classic users haven't budged.

Big difference is that this time, the machines on offer are actually usable and competitive by current standards.

vox 
Posted on 4-Feb-2011 23:56:18
#92 ]
Elite Member

@ruben

... and also not able to run any kind of AmigaOS.

Neither any contract or exponation how Classic emulation would be included in the OS is not explained. As known, Kickstart files are stil copyrighted not free and its not easy to bundle them with OS. I am not sure that even licences of freely downloadable software like WinUAE/AmiKit allow it to be bundled as part of OS and machine someone will earn money from.

Its not that Amiga Classic emulation is impossible its

a) people already have it at home. I believe most of those Classic lovers have already tested everything from Amithlon to Amikit with WinUAE always.

b) CUSA tells us nothing about it

And AmigaOne was terrible Terron board, but from Amiga users point of view
it was next gen hardware since they had PPC Linux to play and betas of AmigaOS 4 started to pop up quite soon, each time better then previous.

Here there is no OS development plan, no new OS, no innovation.

AmigaONe differed a lot from all existing Amiga Classic hardware.

CUSA Amigas will just be repacked PCs of today.

bison 
Posted on 5-Feb-2011 0:00:00
#93 ]
Elite Member

@DAX

Quote:
...it's just Gnome and a couple of stickers...

I was disappointed when I discovered that CUSA is planning on using Gnome. Of all the desktop environments available on Linux, Gnome is the most mainstream, and the most boring.

Writing a window manager, panel, file manager, terminal program, and a handful of configuration programs is a fair amount of work, but it's not that much work. Workbench 5 would be much more interesting if it were something original.

But maybe they think "reinventing the wheel" is a waste of time. Maybe they don't really have any original ideas, and think Gnome is "good enough." If Workbench 5 is just another Gnome-based Linux distribution, then they're starting out way behind Ubuntu and Fedora.

vox 
Posted on 5-Feb-2011 0:00:50
#94 ]
Elite Member

@ruben

And never forget that CUSA is not giving any set dates but also testing patience of those people that "in quest for modern hardware" might buy their new PC 2011 already and don`t want to double their PC.

They announced Amigas automn 2010.

They changed everything from specs, to OS list with website redesign in December 2010.

Commodore x64 is set for like April 2010 as testbed but still has nothing to do with Amiga.

Amigas if realised this year 1000-4000 do not resemble original Amigas at all.

AmigaDream A1200 redesign, if CUSA stands test of time, might come 2012.
And that is just a glimpse that might draw more of those 30 mill then previous actions.

Ahh ... Americans trying to fake Amiga externaly and let AmigaOS be forgotten and then sell it in Europe (The Amiga fort!)
Will it succeed?

T-J 
Posted on 5-Feb-2011 1:18:55
#95 ]
Cult Member

@damocles

Quote:
After last night's meeting at Barry's house, I will say your attempts to discredit C=USA are futile as holding a door close against a tidal wave.

Your attempts to add credit to CUSA are being seriously impaired by your repeated inability to provide any concrete evidence to back any of these claims up.

If you provide some half-decent evidence of anything you claim means CUSA will succeed where so many others have failed, you just might make a convert or two.

jas_mc 
Posted on 5-Feb-2011 1:19:00
#96 ]

@bison

Yeah, me too! Don't like Gnome at all.

NathanH 
Posted on 5-Feb-2011 1:28:41
#97 ]

@vox

I am not interested in the Global Warming thread but it keeps popping up on the main screen.
I don't let it bother me, however, I simply don't click on it. Why is that not possible for others
with threads in which they are uninterested? I voted #1. Read them if you want, ignore them
if you want. Simple...

Also, if a rule was created disallowing discussion of not-yet-released products there would not
be much to talk about. I vote that planning, speculation, dreaming, and wanting threads be
allowed as in the past. Thanks for asking.

Nathan

sundown 
Posted on 5-Feb-2011 3:28:09
#98 ]
Elite Member

@ruben

Quote:
Big difference is that this time, the machines on offer are actually usable and competitive by current standards.

Doesn't matter, the retro users never considerd the NG line a real Amiga, most still run 1.3. Get AOS1.3 running on those new computers & they might have a winner.

Last edited by sundown on 05-Feb-2011 at 03:28 AM.

DiscreetFX 
Posted on 5-Feb-2011 4:03:24
#99 ]
Elite Member

Is CUSA just buying custom cases from another company then putting Linux on them with an Amiga theme/backdrop? If that is the case then the fact that they get so much attention is laughable.

Sorry I have not paid much attention to CUSA since it seems they are not doing anything remotely interesting.

Last edited by DiscreetFX on 05-Feb-2011 at 04:08 AM.

Hammer 
Posted on 5-Feb-2011 7:45:22
#100 ]
Elite Member

@Wizzard_o

Quote:

Wizzard_o wrote:
I am sick and tired of PC promoters constantly on the offensive against OS 4 and it's related hardware.

The PC C= USA are re-badging has absolutely NOTHING to do with Genuine Amiga's (That's Computers capable of running Amiga OS1.x to Amiga OS4.x NATIVELY by the way...)

I guess I’ll be branded a delusional fan-boy because I don’t share Barry's 'Vision'... A tacky all in one PC (that someone else built) running a version of Linux hacked about to look the OS3.x and insultingly named 'Workbench 5'!

AmigaOS 1.0 (Kickstart+Workbench) doesn't natively run on PPC. PPC is not 68K .

Last edited by Hammer on 05-Feb-2011 at 07:47 AM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle