Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
16 crawler(s) on-line.
 132 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Gunnar

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Gunnar:  0 secs ago
 vox:  16 mins ago
 zipper:  20 mins ago
 kolla:  27 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  40 mins ago
 BigD:  1 hr 23 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 25 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 54 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  1 hr 56 mins ago
 Frank:  2 hrs 41 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  SAM460 Troubleshooting
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
Skuggan 
SAM460 Troubleshooting
Posted on 17-Feb-2011 21:38:55
#1 ]

OK! Since the last thread derailed I start a new one where we help out each other.
I don't want to see ANY comments about price, underperformance, etc etc and no nagging on each other.
Just stick to the subject of helping each other out. I guess SAM440 owners can help out here to.

But remember, Keep this thread clean for others who needs to seek info.

I start with my issues:

Got my Sata 3114 today and it works fine with port A and B,

However. With my Sapphire HD4350 card inserted and activated, the CD booted and the installation screen came up the background were just filled with garbage graphics. The icons showed well but the text was hard to read and most of the CPU power was eaten upp with every task it had to perform. I guess this has to do with the Composite function? Any clues Hans?

I switch over to the built in Silicon Motion and connected it to my 16:9 Monitor. No garbage but the picture was extremely skew. Couldn't see a thing. Connected it to my expensive all mode supported 24" monitor and it showed up fine and extremely fast. :)
I will try to look for all the other supported ATI-cards in my local store. Most of them are old news so I can probably borrow them for free.

Profile     Report this post  
Rob 
Re: SAM460 Troubleshooting
Posted on 17-Feb-2011 21:52:02
#2 ]
Elite Member

@Skuggan

Have you turned compositing off.

Run the GUI prefs program and select Effects and you can turn it off.

Hans 
Posted on 17-Feb-2011 21:56:19
#3 ]
Elite Member

@Skuggan

Quote:

However. With my Sapphire HD4350 card inserted and activated, the CD booted and the installation screen came up the background were just filled with garbage graphics. The icons showed well but the text was hard to read and most of the CPU power was eaten upp with every task it had to perform. I guess this has to do with the Composite function? Any clues Hans?

I am incredibly surprised to hear this, as this does not happen to me, nor has it occurred with any betatester with a Radeon HD card. This includes people with a Radeon HD 4350 (I have a PCI variant myself). There should be no graphics corruption, or slowness.

Are you using DVI? If so, don't; DVI isn't supported on the Radeon HD 4000 series yet. If you are using VGA, then please continue reading below; otherwise, try VGA first.

Could you take a photo of this and send it to me (use the email address given on my website)? Also, I'd like to have the ID of the card that you're using. Execute the following (after you've installed the system):

dumpdebugbuffer ram:log.txt clear

There should be a few lines in there from the Radeon HD driver which says to contact me if it's not working properly. It provides an ID. Actually, just send me the log.

Hans

tonyw 
Posted on 17-Feb-2011 22:22:40
#4 ]
Elite Member

@Skuggan

Yep, I've also got a 4350 and I've never had a moment's trouble with it.

Bear in mind that you can't use the DVI or HDMI outputs yet. It must be VGA.

Last edited by tonyw on 17-Feb-2011 at 10:29 PM.

Hyperion Support Forum: http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/index.php

eliyahu 
Posted on 17-Feb-2011 22:53:26
#5 ]

@SAM460 owners

in addition to the 'user guide' from acube and the quickstart guide from the OS4.1 days, is there any additional documentation with the system that discusses errata, such as VGA-only on radeon HD cards?

is there any specific documentation in the documentation drawer on the install CD?

since sound, video, and storage drivers are currently still in testing, i'm curious as to what information is included with the system to guide users through potential issues and to alert them to the fact that OS4 on the system is still considered 'beta' quality.

if there isn't, threads like this are hugely important. when i purchased my SAM440ep-flex board, threads such as this were very helpful. if you find any resources outside this thread, please provide a link to them in posts, such as hans' notes on his site for future reference.

as an aside, i wonder if community members (myself included) would be interested in formalizing a documentation project. i know there are wikis, but in addition to the beta-testing team, perhaps hyperion should elicit offers from the community for documentation writing as well for inclusion with OS4 releases?

-- eliyahu

Last edited by eliyahu on 17-Feb-2011 at 10:53 PM.

HammerD 
Posted on 18-Feb-2011 4:37:59
#6 ]
Cult Member

@eliyahu

We have such a FAQ that will ship with AmigaOS 4.1 Classic on the CD, plus there is already much information on the Hyperion blog.

I know this doesn't help you but it has been thought about. I wasn't on the team that prepared the SAM release, but it's quite possible they just didn't have time yet.

In any case, a community driven FAQ wouldn't hurt, similar to the OS 3.9 FAQ.

hotrod 
Posted on 18-Feb-2011 5:43:55
#7 ]
Elite Member

@tonyw

I just need to an answer to this, when you say can't use these outputs yet should I take it that also HDMI are planned to be supported now? I recall that Hans wrote that he didn't plan to support it.

Hans 
Posted on 18-Feb-2011 6:21:38
#8 ]
Elite Member

@hotrod

Quote:

hotrod wrote:
@tonyw

I just need to an answer to this, when you say can't use these outputs yet should I take it that also HDMI are planned to be supported now? I recall that Hans wrote that he didn't plan to support it.

I don't know where you got that idea from. When DVI is supported, HDMI will be supported automatically (sans audio). Audio over HDMI is something that I'd like to support eventually, but it's a low priority feature.

Hans

NOTE: DVI is supported on the Radeon X1000 series and the Radeon HD 2000 series; it's only the newer units where support is incomplete.

hotrod 
Posted on 18-Feb-2011 6:48:46
#9 ]
Elite Member

@Hans

I seem to recall that you wrote something like HDMI isn't important at the moment since you can get a picture using an adapter for DVI? Something like that. I think it was over at amigans.net.

Sure you haven't written anything like that? I'm pretty sure you have.

Hans 
Posted on 18-Feb-2011 8:23:44
#10 ]
Elite Member

@hotrod

Quote:

hotrod wrote:
@Hans

I seem to recall that you wrote something like HDMI isn't important at the moment since you can get a picture using an adapter for DVI? Something like that. I think it was over at amigans.net.

Sure you haven't written anything like that? I'm pretty sure you have.

It sounds to me like you're getting things mixed up. I have mentioned before that audio over HDMI is a low priority feature, and would be implemented later. You may have misinterpreted that as meaning that HDMI doesn't work.

As far as graphics is concerned, DVI and HDMI are compatible, and those outputs are programmed in exactly the same way by the driver. DVI-to-HDMI/HDMI-to-DVI adapters simply connect the appropriate pins on one side, to their respective pins on the other (see here).

Hans

Niolator 
Posted on 18-Feb-2011 9:56:48
#11 ]

@Skuggan

D*mned Skuggan. You seem to be the only guy in Europe that has got his SAM 460, and you got it on monday. I bet it is more people than me that is jelaous.

edit: typos and smily

Last edited by Niolator on 18-Feb-2011 at 09:57 AM.
Last edited by Niolator on 18-Feb-2011 at 09:57 AM.

ChrisH 
Posted on 18-Feb-2011 10:04:26
#12 ]
Elite Member

@Hans Quote:
Are you using DVI? If so, don't; DVI isn't supported on the Radeon HD 4000 series yet.

I am saddened to hear this, as DVI is now pretty-much essential: My KVM switch uses DVI, my monitor uses DVI, and as I recall using a VGA to DVI adaptor won't work with my KVM switch (due to DVI-D/A mixing issues). My relatively expensive monitor does happen to have a VGA port, but that isn't something most people can rely on, and it won't work with my KVM switch anyway.

Are there plans to add DVI support anytime "soon"?

Last edited by ChrisH on 18-Feb-2011 at 10:07 AM.
Last edited by ChrisH on 18-Feb-2011 at 10:07 AM.
Last edited by ChrisH on 18-Feb-2011 at 10:06 AM.

cha05e90 
Posted on 18-Feb-2011 11:05:46
#13 ]

@Niolator
Quote:
only guy in Europe

At a minimum Turkey is geographically still a part of Europe, isn't it? (Say hello to Sinan!).

Hans 
Posted on 18-Feb-2011 19:42:33
#14 ]
Elite Member

@ChrisH

Quote:

ChrisH wrote:
@Hans Quote:
Are you using DVI? If so, don't; DVI isn't supported on the Radeon HD 4000 series yet.

I am saddened to hear this, as DVI is now pretty-much essential: My KVM switch uses DVI, my monitor uses DVI, and as I recall using a VGA to DVI adaptor won't work with my KVM switch (due to DVI-D/A mixing issues). My relatively expensive monitor does happen to have a VGA port, but that isn't something most people can rely on, and it won't work with my KVM switch anyway.

Are there plans to add DVI support anytime "soon"?

Yes. DVI support for Radeon HD 4000 series cards is high up on the priority list.

Hans

Nibunnoichi 
Posted on 18-Feb-2011 19:49:57
#15 ]
Cult Member

@cha05e90

There's at least one guy here in Italy who has it...

Harlequinn 
Posted on 18-Feb-2011 21:17:49
#16 ]

@Hans

I use Radeon 4830 with sam460ex?

Tomas 
Posted on 18-Feb-2011 21:26:44
#17 ]
Elite Member

@Skuggan
I guess you have tried reseating the card and such??
I have seen something similar on x86 systems if contacts are dusty or if card is not properly seated.

Hans 
Posted on 18-Feb-2011 21:36:37
#18 ]
Elite Member

@Harlequinn

Quote:

Harlequinn wrote:
@Hans

I use Radeon 4830 with sam460ex?

It should work, but as it's a high end card, it will probably take up two slots of space, blocking the PCI port in the process. Have a look at my recommendations page.

Hans

T-J 
Posted on 19-Feb-2011 0:02:34
#19 ]
Cult Member

@thread

I've got a question or two for those who've already got their machines. First, how does the Sam460ex perform in general use? Where's all the Youtube video demos?

And second, does anyone with a 460 use the SD card as the boot device? And if so, how fast is it? Any issues?

SinanG 
Posted on 19-Feb-2011 6:24:21
#20 ]

@T-J

Here is one from Jan.29

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-F3aAg4bMPw

Nothing fancy: OWB, some diskmags and Freespace 1 running on software driver on Radeon4650 1GB. This can give an idea of current performance.

For me: I had A1SE and MicroA1 as OS4 machines before. I guess it is the perfect upgrade for OS4 users like me.. Performance wise I guess it runs at similar speeds to A1XE/G4s, but 2D performance will improve as RadeonHD drivers progresses and there will be 3D support when Gallium is ready...

Last edited by SinanG on 19-Feb-2011 at 06:30 AM.
Last edited by SinanG on 19-Feb-2011 at 06:25 AM.

Amiga A1222 2GB Radeon RX 550
Sam 460 2GB RadeonRX 550

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle