Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
15 crawler(s) on-line.
 97 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  38 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 6 mins ago
 Maijestro:  1 hr 19 mins ago
 Hypex:  1 hr 20 mins ago
 fingus:  1 hr 41 mins ago
 dirkzwager:  1 hr 45 mins ago
 Karlos:  2 hrs ago
 amigagr:  2 hrs 7 mins ago
 MagicSN:  2 hrs 15 mins ago
 pixie:  2 hrs 29 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Free For All
      /  X1000 leaks...true or false?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
Zylesea 
Re: X1000 leaks...true or false?
Posted on 3-Mar-2011 14:41:02
#61 ]
Elite Member

@OldFart

Quote:

OldFart wrote:
I take it that you will publicly, in the sense of 'here', admit your being wrong when the X1000 makes its public appearance?

Probably rather an "at least", I think after good year delay there is not much reason to jingo-jingo. Not even the betaboards have been shipped completely, hence with the betatest not really started yet I seriously doubt that the enduser version will come before this (northern hemisspere) summer.
Quote:
Better still: you will immediately buy one?

Probably not. But if it at least arrives I will check price/performance ratio for me and if the result will be good then it yields to a purchase by me. With current information I seriously doubt that though.

Profile     Report this post  
Tomas 
Posted on 3-Mar-2011 15:10:42
#62 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Quote:

wawa wrote:
i just wonder how much credibility of this particular project seems to be backed up by impression on individual features of its apparent founder. is there any other argumet to trust?

I guess it is better to scream scam and liars instead of giving them the benefit of the doubt??
Everyone with half a brain cell would know that delays can happen and are infact a common thing when it comes to computers. I personally think they were a bit naive during first announcements when it came to deadline, but it is idiotic to think it is a scam just because that deadline wasnt met.
Did you think that the PS3 was a scam when it was heavily delayed as well?

Also why would hyperion go through the trouble of porting their OS if they did not have any reason to trust trevor and his company?
There have already been prototypes shown to the world...

You should also remember that both aeon and hyperion is a small company with very limited resources compared to most companies in this industry. I would have been amazed if they actually did release on deadline considering how such delays are extremely common in the computer/electronics world due to unforeseen issues.

The delay might not even be related to hardware and might even be due to issues they run into while porting and serious bugs that need to be squashed before release.

Last edited by Tomas on 03-Mar-2011 at 03:13 PM.

wawa 
Posted on 3-Mar-2011 15:21:32
#63 ]
Elite Member

@eliyahu

i actually do not doubt that it is doable and that actual work has been put into it, and that there was some sort of prototype. also even if i do not have any emotional experience to trust trevor or whomever else involved, also dont have anything to the contrary, blue eyes or not. i know that hans delivers, as well as hyperion usually deliver (in the end). but the visible progress is so slow as it seems to stall. therefore i very much doubt that this development is something that community can gather around. especially that it is so pricey that it will remain very elite and in effect will further fragment even the os4 club into x1k and second rate sam owners. it is just the oposite of what i could call a visionary project given the reality of this scene. therefore i stand sceptic.

wawa 
Posted on 3-Mar-2011 15:28:17
#64 ]
Elite Member

@Tomas
from what i understand, aeon isnt even a factual company doing the real development. it should be varisys, i take it. aeon was created to contract them and to distribute the product when it is ready. so if there are technical problems then varisys is to blame which seems not logical if they are an experienced company. we cannot apply both yardsticks as we like here, either we have to do with amateurs/startup or with professionals, either of both.

Troels 
Posted on 3-Mar-2011 15:28:40
#65 ]
Elite Member

@wawa
So now you're not allowed to build a high-end (amiga high-end..) computer because it's to expensive for most people and creates an elite. I remember the days when I only had an A1200/040 and my friends had A4000's, I felt so second rate....Not!

It's probably to expensive for me as well and IF I have had the money to invest I would also have focused differently but that's another story

Last edited by Troels on 03-Mar-2011 at 03:30 PM.

eliyahu 
Posted on 3-Mar-2011 15:32:16
#66 ]

@wawa

Quote:
but the visible progress is so slow as it seems to stall. therefore i very much doubt that this development is something that community can gather around. especially that it is so pricey that it will remain very elite and in effect will further fragment even the os4 club into x1k and second rate sam owners. it is just the oposite of what i could call a visionary project given the reality of this scene. therefore i stand sceptic.

i don't think the issue is 'visible progress' being slow, per se. it's that everything was very public for so long, with news coming bit by bit, and then shortly after amiwest, 'all quiet on the western front.' i doubt you or others would be as concerned had not we all been so 'plugged in' to where things were up until late last year.

i can't say why A-EON has 'gone quiet,' or why they set a ship-date that passed; only they know. i do know that the next issue of amiga future has an update direct from trevor, so hopefully we should know more then.

as for a 'fragmentation' effect, i really doubt that. i have one of the least performant OS4 systems (a SAM440ep-flex board), and i don't feel worried at all. i don't worry about being 'second-rate,' either. technology moves on and gets better. the X1000 will be the fastest OS4 system-to-date; the existance of slower systems in no way should hold up its introduction. the real issue is cost. if the X1000 was close to the cost of a SAM460, folks wouldn't have an issue with 'elitism.' it isn't elitist, it's merely the cost of development. besides, the market will decide in the end.

-- eliyahu

Last edited by eliyahu on 03-Mar-2011 at 03:34 PM.

pampers 
Posted on 3-Mar-2011 15:34:28
#67 ]

@TrevorDick

project is continuing as planned.

All due respect Trevor but that's kind of rude...

wawa 
Posted on 3-Mar-2011 15:37:00
#68 ]
Elite Member

@Troels

i dont want to beat a dead horse, but i wasnt talking about anyone else building other custom hardware, although such projects exist. guess what i do have in mind.
nevertheless somone stated before that it is sometimes depressing tho remain around here. i guess the thing that troubles me is the general notion of waiting. year for year there are announcements and secrets, whatever it is called, map, x... just look back at the time wasted.

eXec 
Posted on 3-Mar-2011 15:38:59
#69 ]
Cult Member

@all

Thank you very much for your reply.... I got some answers that completed my
asking mission...

@Trixie

Quote:
You have been around for long enough to know that MooBunny is full of frustrated haters who would go to great lengths to sling mud on anything and anyone. It could as well be called PooBunny, that site. I fail to understand why you bring a piece of unfounded crap post from an anonymous Moo-ser here. Have you not been warned of your trollish posting behaviour of lately?

My right is to ask about things that are not clear to me. If you find that incompatible
with your mental circuits , or you don`t know the answer, stay away from my posts.
Read again my questions in the very first post and you`ll see that I asked, not claimed
something. About your reply there is not much more to say.
You spread the words of hate and primitiveness. I reported you, but apparently it is
allowed to use words like crap and to be negative and sarcastic as you, not to mention offtopic, so i give you back one as you unfriendly gave me.

I never heard about Moo Bunny and because of that I asked here.
But like "them" who are frustrated haters there, you are one frustrated hater, here.
You posted also a huge amount of craps and nothing about that.

@Trevor

Thank you for quick reply

stereomind 
Posted on 3-Mar-2011 15:39:52
#70 ]

we beleave . it wil come soon .
we have many plans on it .

p.s
any creation takes more time than you imagine in the beginning .

take your time guys .

wawa 
Posted on 3-Mar-2011 15:44:37
#71 ]
Elite Member

@eliyahu
i just hope x1k will not introduce standard features that do not well scale down to sam.

eliyahu 
Posted on 3-Mar-2011 15:49:20
#72 ]

@wawa

Quote:
i just hope x1k will not introduce standard features that do not well scale down to sam.

ah, ok, i think i understand your point better. i hope so also, other than support for xena/xorro, which i would understand. i don't think hyperion has done that to date, though, between the various NG platforms. and with finally bringing classic machines up-level, my confidence level is high on this one.

eh, but who knows. maybe it would be a good way to get me to buy an X1000.

-- eliyahu

Tomas 
Posted on 3-Mar-2011 15:51:22
#73 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Quote:

wawa wrote:
@Tomas
from what i understand, aeon isnt even a factual company doing the real development. it should be varisys, i take it. aeon was created to contract them and to distribute the product when it is ready. so if there are technical problems then varisys is to blame which seems not logical if they are an experienced company. we cannot apply both yardsticks as we like here, either we have to do with amateurs/startup or with professionals, either of both.

And this is the case also in the x86 world with many brands.
Acube did not produce their own hardware either and that did not stop them from releasing anything.
The simple fact is that none of us know what is going on behind the scenes and that such delays are common from time to time.

Tomas 
Posted on 3-Mar-2011 15:54:09
#74 ]
Elite Member

@pampers

Quote:

pampers wrote:
@TrevorDick

project is continuing as planned.

All due respect Trevor but that's kind of rude...

Of course that had to come from a guy with a MOS logo..
It might have been a bit bad choice of words, but i think most people here knew what he really meant with that line.

Also as someone else pointed out here the new deadline when it comes to beta boards is by end of this month.

Trixie 
Posted on 3-Mar-2011 16:01:20
#75 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@eXec

Quote:
You posted also a huge amount of craps

Link, please? I will gladly learn from my own mistakes.

AmigaOne X5000/020 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition

Amiga_3k 
Posted on 3-Mar-2011 16:03:43
#76 ]
Cult Member

@Trevor:

Thanks for the small but important statement. The Nay-sayers would have taken any answer out of proportions, giving a negative swing to it.

A-eon: Take the time needed to get a stable (enough) system out then soon all the waiting will be forgotten.

Kicko 
Posted on 3-Mar-2011 16:06:18
#77 ]
Elite Member

here we go again

Last edited by Kicko on 03-Mar-2011 at 04:07 PM.

wawa 
Posted on 3-Mar-2011 16:07:21
#78 ]
Elite Member

@Tomas

my point is that either you say we can trust in the project because have to do with professionalists like varisys, which is difficult to pair with the delays, lack of news on the progress and so on. especially that in that case aeon would have free hands to take care of public relations prior to the release. on the other hand, if we have to do with hobbyist project/startup like natami actually run ba aeon, which assumption makes unclear what role varisys is playing here, it would justify the delays and unprofesionality.

Last edited by wawa on 03-Mar-2011 at 04:09 PM.

Tomppeli 
Posted on 3-Mar-2011 16:15:10
#79 ]

@Kicko

Quote:
http://diagrams.wiringschematics.net/view.php?filename=933zx81_personal_computer.gif
http://www.mainbyte.com/ts1000/good_schematic_hi.jpg

I'm wondering did that one guy spend the whole afternoon to find the original drawing of a joke.

Tomas 
Posted on 3-Mar-2011 16:20:10
#80 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Quote:

wawa wrote:
@Tomas

my point is that either you say we can trust in the project because have to do with professionalists like varisys, which is difficult to pair with the delays, lack of news on the progress and so on. especially that in that case aeon would have free hands to take care of public relations prior to the release. on the other hand, if we have to do with hobbyist project/startup like natami actually run ba aeon, which assumption makes unclear what role varisys is playing here, it would justify the delays and unprofesionality.

It dosent really matter if it is big so called "professional" company or not when it comes to such delays.
Take for example my previous example with the PS3.. That one was delayed by years compared to original announcement and same thing is the case with software companies like for example microsoft as well.
In this industry there is often unknown problems that surfaces during development, so it is extremely hard to make a deadline on before hand.

I do think they should have waited with announcing release date until they could be more sure they could meet it though.

I just think it is way too early to call them untrustworthy.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle