Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
9 crawler(s) on-line.
 70 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

cdimauro

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 cdimauro:  35 secs ago
 AmigaMac:  2 hrs 4 mins ago
 JimS:  4 hrs 15 mins ago
 Hans:  4 hrs 29 mins ago
 RobertB:  5 hrs 6 mins ago
 agami:  5 hrs 31 mins ago
 A1200:  5 hrs 32 mins ago
 Kremlar:  5 hrs 53 mins ago
 amigakit:  6 hrs 1 min ago
 kolla:  6 hrs 35 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  MiniGL
      /  Any news on the gallium3d for OS4?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread
Crumb 
Re: Any news on the gallium3d for OS4?
Posted on 4-Apr-2011 18:39:17
#41 ]
Elite Member

@Geri

Quote:
This x86 emulator was written by SciTech.

that's interesting, thanks! that reminds that I still wonder why nobody at Elbox/Matay/DCE used a forth interpreter to initialize Mac PCI gfx cards on Mediator/Prometheus/G-Rex... it would have saved them some time and increased compatibility. Agreed Mac PCI cards weren't cheap but it was possible to reflash regular pci cards.

Last edited by Crumb on 04-Apr-2011 at 06:39 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
nimrod7 
Posted on 4-Apr-2011 18:42:48
#42 ]

@opi

Quote:

opi wrote:
People who forget history are doomed to repeat it.

OT: i would rather say: people are doomed to repeat history. period.

"Marxism must abhor nothing so much as the possibility that it becomes congealed in its current form. It is at its best when butting heads in self-criticism, and in historical thunder and lightning, it retains its strength" - Rosa Luxemburg.

ikir 
Posted on 4-Apr-2011 18:45:16
#43 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

They had a delay just one time after serving the community with many products in a very professional way. Amiga community is pretty sad nowdays. Anyway this delay helped with OS4 low development, Sam460ep is waiting for soem driveres to finalize, so they were not in need to rush the motherboard on the market.

About Hyperion... they are far too slow i agree, and they should support current and available hardware before spending 99% of time resources on x1000. In my opinion they lack in leadership and roadmap, but thanks to them we have a very good hobby OS, so i can forgive them! I hope they release update 3 to entertain us, it shoulb be a priority with such a small market...

opi 
Posted on 4-Apr-2011 20:01:04
#44 ]
Team Member

@nimrod7

OT, OT, WTF: I just realized you live in my city?! I was about to ask you for price quotes on illustrations and then I noticed brands from our city... so I clicked about. :o

Trixie 
Posted on 4-Apr-2011 21:11:44
#45 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@Fransexy

Quote:
As SNAP is a third party company product and is not in control of hyperion i think taht is not fair to blame hyperion, sure there is a good reason for which they did not or cannot included SNAP

Exactly. There can be legal obstacles. (---insert your favourite version of the story---)

AmigaOne X5000/020 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition

ChrisH 
Posted on 4-Apr-2011 22:27:33
#46 ]
Elite Member

This thread is a 'good' example that AW.net is heading in the direction of a certian mewling bunny site

nimrod7 
Posted on 5-Apr-2011 11:08:02
#47 ]

@opi

OT, OT, LOL: This is my city - not yours :]

"Marxism must abhor nothing so much as the possibility that it becomes congealed in its current form. It is at its best when butting heads in self-criticism, and in historical thunder and lightning, it retains its strength" - Rosa Luxemburg.

broadblues 
Posted on 5-Apr-2011 12:52:33
#48 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@thread

Some news here http://blog.hyperion-entertainment.biz

nubechecorre 
Posted on 5-Apr-2011 13:17:16
#49 ]
Cult Member

@broadblues

Thanks for the update and good work to Frieden's Bros

Bitplane

wawa 
Posted on 5-Apr-2011 13:19:22
#50 ]
Elite Member

@broadblues

low level api that could but not neccesarily must interface to gallium, sounds like warp3d alike. i wonder if the approach is based on wazp3d?

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 5-Apr-2011 14:21:24
#51 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

I think its an expantion of competition engine API.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 05-Apr-2011 at 04:00 PM.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 5-Apr-2011 14:21:47
#52 ]
Elite Member

@broadblues

Thanks.

xeron 
Posted on 5-Apr-2011 14:23:58
#53 ]
Elite Member
From: Weston-Super-Mare, Somerset, England, UK, Europe, Earth, The Milky Way, The Universe

@wawa

Quote:

wawa wrote:
i wonder if the approach is based on wazp3d?

No.

kas1e 
Posted on 5-Apr-2011 14:34:18
#54 ]
Elite Member

At last some normal info on blog ! Was interesting to read !

about that phrase:

Quote:

opengl.library (the central hub of the OpenGL system on AmigaOS) is able to load and operate drivers that only provide a minimal set of internal functions plus the required entry points for OpenGL. That way, it is possible to use a Mesa based driver, or even a completely custom driver, for hardware that is not supported by Gallium3D.

I think in real-live it will mean , that users who have radeon9250 with warp3d/minigl (for example) , will just switched to usage of warp3d/minigl, while all the cards which can works over gallium, will use gallium/new-shaded-ogl. Sounds good, dunno through if it will done like this (but as far as i remember, the goal was to have support of all the apps which use minigl/warp3d as well, just because it will suck to broken compatibility with already done opengl apps).

About others, not everything clear now. I mean:

1. will amigaos4 specific changes in gallium3d/mesa present in official repos (so, other deverloper will have ability to do changes, when Hyperion will not have time to works on it, or, if it will slow for some reassons as w3d/minigl, and user will want to speed up it)

2. It is priority to make "fast" realisation of all of this, or just working one ? Because if for example, Gallium3d/Mesa on os4, will be slower in compare (or the same) as Warp3d/MiniGl, then there is will be no big sense for users.

3. What is current state of it ? As i read, its just some "goals" talks and screenshot, which can be just software-mode mesa compiled (which make no big sense). I mean if there any HW driver already ? If so , it is works with RadeonHD, or not ?

I am almost sure that we will have no answers in that thread about (because Rogue not read AW.net anymore as i understand), but i cross the fingers that speed and "open for other deverloper in end" , wil be the main goal.

Last edited by kas1e on 05-Apr-2011 at 02:36 PM.

kas1e 
Posted on 5-Apr-2011 14:36:03
#55 ]
Elite Member

@wawa
Quote:

low level api that could but not neccesarily must interface to gallium, sounds like warp3d alike. i wonder if the approach is based on wazp3d?

Of course not. Why hyperion should even think about Wazp3d ? Wazp3d, its just realisatoin of warp3d in SW mode. And that is only one "based on" can be together. The same as any SW driver "based on". But imho its even not about SW drivers, its also about using of old drivers if gallium one will not present.

eliyahu 
Posted on 5-Apr-2011 14:41:32
#56 ]

@kas1e

Quote:
will amigaos4 specific changes in gallium3d/mesa present in official repos (so, other deverloper will have ability to do changes, when Hyperion will not have time to works on it, or, if it will slow for some reassons as w3d/minigl, and user will want to speed up it)

my hope would be that any amigaOS-specific changes required to MESA or gallium3D would be pushed back upstream. that would benefit both the community and hyperion, as well as better leverage the few developers we have around here who could contribute to maintaining such changes as the projects move forward in the FOSS world.

i'm very enthused about the prospect of a working MESA/gallium3D stack for OS4 -- especially as with the SAM460ex and, hopefully soon, the A1X1K, we'll have systems capable of hosting the graphics cards that can really provide a 'modern' 3D experience. i would be ecstatic if we had something like this within a few months of the A1X1K shipping.

now then, who's up for a round of crysis?

-- eliyahu

kas1e 
Posted on 5-Apr-2011 15:23:29
#57 ]
Elite Member

@eliyahu

Quote:

my hope would be that any amigaOS-specific changes required to MESA or gallium3D would be pushed back upstream. that would benefit both the community and hyperion, as well as better leverage the few developers we have around here who could contribute to maintaining such changes as the projects move forward in the FOSS world.

100% true. I am almost sure that Hyperion will bring changes to public for everyone, so not only them can fix bugs and contribute. Its the only real way, to have success with all that gallium/mesa really. Because if they will after all close-source amigaos4 related parts of gallium/mesa changes, then i will shoot myself :)

wawa 
Posted on 5-Apr-2011 15:52:04
#58 ]
Elite Member

@kas1e

i think have not expressed myself wery well while in hurry. reading the blog i immediately thought about that proposition to fix and upgrade w3d i have heard about, and since i know alain thought about a gallium backend for wazp, and got a sam440 few months ago i thought he might got involved. i havnt heard much from him since then. but then this must be just an coincidence and i have drawn some naive assumption.

as for the blog the screenshot of gears demo with gl functions listing in the background it really doesnt say anything much. thats true. i read the blog entry more as an outline for whats planned to be done, less as a status report.

kas1e 
Posted on 5-Apr-2011 16:31:51
#59 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Quote:

i think have not expressed myself wery well while in hurry. reading the blog i immediately thought about that proposition to fix and upgrade w3d i have heard about, and since i know alain thought about a gallium backend for wazp, and got a sam440 few months ago i thought he might got involved. i havnt heard much from him since then. but then this must be just an coincidence and i have drawn some naive assumption.

Naah. Alain just works in his free time on warzp3d. Its still nice one because for example, with my annoing he add to winuae support of HW driver (getting from win32 opengl/directx). So, for winuae, wazp3d are can be SW and HW mode , in full-screen and windowses mode. Then i also annoy him back in the past to port it to AROS (that all was because of our diskmag TheVague, which we want to make works everythere). On AROS it for now also in SW mode, but Alain step by step trying to integrte Gallium to it (or wazp3d to gallium), to make it works on aros also in depends from gallium (or HW, or SW). On os4 wazp3d works only in SW mode. And its a bit buggy in compare with real warp3d drivers from hyperion.

Of course Hyperion's warp3d have bugs as well, and those bugs Alain trying to fix in his realisation, but , it have other bugs, which real Warp3d not have.

So Alain's work it just his free-time work, just to make opensource relisation for all the OSes. While hyperion works on warp3d when they want, and some fixes on real warp3d for os4, have place , and done some time ago. But , they for sure dropped out already warp3d support at all (and that is absolutly right. warp3d as idea was nice, but realisation are suck).

wawa 
Posted on 5-Apr-2011 16:54:23
#60 ]
Elite Member

@kas1e

i think i just thought of it since alain got so silent lately. as for warp3d in comparison with wazp both are soewhat buggy but differently so. btw i was testing warp3d applications under aros68k on winuae using alains wazp, and they were working close to allright too, i mean mainly his test cases, like cow and so. mesa though wasnt working yet, anyway there is a lot restructuring atm so many things dont work.

btw you re right of course, alain had not so much time for it, neither is he exactly professional. hyperion might prehaps be faster coders, but with all these unfolded projects at once, i dont know..

Last edited by wawa on 05-Apr-2011 at 04:55 PM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle