Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
15 crawler(s) on-line.
 130 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

retrofaza

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 retrofaza:  3 mins ago
 pixie:  9 mins ago
 OlafS25:  22 mins ago
 BigD:  23 mins ago
 zErec:  30 mins ago
 amigakit:  33 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 16 mins ago
 edwardsjethro:  2 hrs 8 mins ago
 joeyunderwood:  2 hrs 9 mins ago
 Sikharubel:  2 hrs 12 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Classic Amiga Hardware
      /  Re: Dave Haynie expresses thoughts on Natami and X1000
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 Next Page )
PosterThread
Caveman 
Re: Dave Haynie expresses thoughts on Natami and X1000
Posted on 17-Apr-2011 15:02:41
#241 ]
Cult Member

@pavlor

Quote:

pavlor wrote:
@Caveman

Quote:
And if you have any interrest of eh...hmmm...p***,you would be pretty safe too,lol You got a big marked there,ready too be taken,rofl

That sounds like a cunning marketing strategy.

Atleast it is a plan,rofl

Profile     Report this post  
opi 
Posted on 17-Apr-2011 15:07:02
#242 ]
Team Member

@KingKong

Sorry, but you're being ignorant. I have to be blunt here: you'd need to get some perspective on real security, management tools, deployment, support and requirements before you can start touting AmigaOS as solution to anything other that nostalgia itch.

If Windows is a sandwich, Linux is bread and butter (some assembly is required), AmigaOS is a bag of flower (pray to not get food poisoning) you'd rather not to use. There are so many steps before this can be turned into sandwich. No sane person would use AmigaOS for antyhing other than old school fun.

Last edited by opi on 17-Apr-2011 at 03:10 PM.
Last edited by opi on 17-Apr-2011 at 03:09 PM.

number6 
Posted on 17-Apr-2011 15:15:20
#243 ]
Elite Member

@WolfToTheMoon

Quote:
No government agency would choose AmigaOS over Linux on objective preferences.

Amiga, though, is a different story, no?

IContain:
Quote:
Customers included US Customs, FBI, LAPD, and various other law enforcement agencies.

Or did you think this was about something else? heh.

opi 
Posted on 17-Apr-2011 15:17:29
#244 ]
Team Member

@number6

Quote:
Or did you think this was about something else? heh.

I'm not buying it. I mean, why would FBI need cheap Android tablets from some company that has rent-to-own scheme?

eliyahu 
Posted on 17-Apr-2011 15:18:08
#245 ]

@opi

Quote:
If Windows is a sandwich, Linux is bread and butter (some assembly is required), AmigaOS is a bag of flower (pray to not get food poisoning) you'd rather not to use. There are so many steps before this can be turned into sandwich. No sane person would use AmigaOS for antyhing other than old school fun.

dunno about the analogy, but the sentiment is about right. i use AOS for enjoyment, not for work. that being said, i do a ton of sound-editing on my SAM with HD-rec, among others.

there seems to be a disconnect between those who think the amiga platform should continue on its own particular path and those who want to see the platform scrapped and the brand transitioned to a commodity platform (not that commodity platforms are bad, mind you). there will never be agreement between those who hold views on different sides of that divide. this conversation keeps happening over and over and over again. i would think folks would understand that they will not convince the holder of the opposite viewpoint.

@thread

as for power.org members providing desktop-class performance at prices conducive to the consumer marketplace, i think some might be surprised at what is available (and how competitive it is) by 2H 2013. that doesn't mean that all of a suddent AOS (or MOS, for that matter) becomes competitive in the consumer space; but it does mean our hobby can continue. freescale does have some very nice kit on offer currently, and for DAXPY-like workloads, i.e., stream-oriented, they will perform very well indeed.

also keep in mind that public pricing of microelectronics parts -- especially from freescale -- should be taken with a grain of salt.

-- eliyahu

Last edited by eliyahu on 17-Apr-2011 at 03:19 PM.

KingKong 
Posted on 17-Apr-2011 15:19:36
#246 ]

@opi

Well, perhaps your comment will spur the guys in charge (to improve/promote AmigaOS).

I'm pretty used to people without any clue, so you can be as blunt as you want.

opi 
Posted on 17-Apr-2011 15:23:57
#247 ]
Team Member

@eliyahu

Quote:
i use AOS for enjoyment, not for work. that being said, i do a ton of sound-editing on my SAM with HD-rec, among others.

You know I'm not saying you can't do anything on AmigaOS. I say there's no place for AmigaOS in any situation where security or manageability is required.

People seems to be scared by "hobby OS" term. It's like denial: "No, it's still good, it's still good -- we can be mainstream. Ha ha. Windows sucks.". Sure it is. It's still fun. There's nothing bad in having computer related hobby. Sure, I'd love to see it more accessible (upfront payment of 1K Euro is no-go) but it's still here to entertain us. If someone says he don't want to see submarine with Windows I can only hope no weapon would ever run AmigaOS in current state.

eXec 
Posted on 17-Apr-2011 15:24:01
#248 ]
Cult Member

@Spectre660

I want to use my Amiga for it...bit I can`t even use it to animate in
poor Flash...

pavlor 
Posted on 17-Apr-2011 15:27:00
#249 ]
Elite Member

@opi

Quote:
I can only hope no weapon would ever run AmigaOS in current state.

Current OS4 end user licence agreement prohibits some uses of OS4 (eg. in nuclear plants).

Last edited by pavlor on 17-Apr-2011 at 03:27 PM.

opi 
Posted on 17-Apr-2011 15:28:22
#250 ]
Team Member

@pavlor

I can imagine why.

number6 
Posted on 17-Apr-2011 15:28:58
#251 ]
Elite Member

@opi

Economy is rotten and going to get worse. More people rent now, compared to own. His business plan is surely partially based on that fact.

Quote:
Most recently, as President of Sky Detective, he was instrumental at creating the GSM and CDMA application for law enforcement in the US with operations out of China.

You can look at the devices proposed as simply business market informational gathering instruments, or you can look at them as perhaps government agencies do.

Either way, he's not the 1st and only one to have presented this idea.

eliyahu 
Posted on 17-Apr-2011 15:30:21
#252 ]

@opi

Quote:
People seems to be scared by "hobby OS" term. It's like denial: "No, it's still good, it's still good -- we can be mainstream. Ha ha. Windows sucks.". Sure it is. It's still fun. There's nothing bad in having computer related hobby. Sure, I'd love to see it more accessible (upfront payment of 1K Euro is no-go) but it's still here to entertain us.

absolutely.

and it's a very enjoyable hobby, as is, i would imagine, the other amiga-like platforms. folks shouldn't be embarassed about this at all. it's a lovely little piece of kit and quite a lot of fun. it's not suited for production work on a large-scale, and i don't imagine the developers would disagree. it might be one day, but that's not really the point. you can do tons of personal work on AOS/MOS, but deploying it in a commercial environment, or hoping for mass consumer appeal is a little unrealistic for the moment.

and that's not necessarily something to shy away from or try and hide. this is supposed to be fun; no one said anything about appealing to 'the masses.'

-- eliyahu

Last edited by eliyahu on 17-Apr-2011 at 03:31 PM.

T-J 
Posted on 17-Apr-2011 15:44:46
#253 ]
Cult Member

@number6

Quote:
All is not how it seems

I realise its probably legally impossible, but it would be nice if someone would explain this whole silly thing, Commodore, Amiga and all variations thereon, who owns what and what limitations exist, all in plain language with a helpful diagram to make it nice and clear. Just so we know where everyone stands.

Oh well, never mind.

Reading between the lines, I have my own interpretation of what's going on and I guess that Hyperion, A-Eon and ACube are doing what they are doing not because they're stupid, but because that's what can be done within limitations of law, finance and time.

But that's just my opinion, and therefore its just more fuel for this particular fire.

@eliyahu

That's the right attitude to have, if you ask me. We should just have fun using what we want to use.

There's actually no ideological difference worth fighting over between the X1000 and Natami - they're both designed to be the machines that their creators want to use. In other words, fun machines. Pick one, have fun.

Last edited by T-J on 17-Apr-2011 at 03:45 PM.

Spectre660 
Posted on 17-Apr-2011 15:46:51
#254 ]
Elite Member

@eXec

I understand your fustration.
We have to help in our own way.
Dont forget to donate something to the QT bounty if you have not yet done so.

Quote:

eXec wrote:
@Spectre660

poor Flash...

number6 
Posted on 17-Apr-2011 15:50:23
#255 ]
Elite Member

@T-J

Quote:
I realise its probably legally impossible, but it would be nice if someone would explain this whole silly thing, Commodore, Amiga and all variations thereon, who owns what and what limitations exist, all in plain language with a helpful diagram to make it nice and clear. Just so we know where everyone stands.

Quote:
Reading between the lines, I have my own interpretation of what's going on and I guess that Hyperion, A-Eon and ACube are doing what they are doing not because they're stupid, but because that's what can be done within limitations of law, finance and time.

I can't argue your conclusion.
Again, judgment is NOT settlement. Settlements are tested, we've seen that, and it continues...

jas_mc 
Posted on 17-Apr-2011 15:56:26
#256 ]

@eliyahu

Quote:
this is supposed to be fun; no one said anything about appealing to 'the masses.'

Er... apart from Jack Tramiel

Quote:
We need to build computers for the masses, not the classes.

I agree with you tho', I'm just being pedantic

Spectre660 
Posted on 17-Apr-2011 16:00:23
#257 ]
Elite Member

@eXec

Another Amiga reality is that most of the legacy software for Audio & Video was done to support a custom piece of hardware built by the same company specifically for the Amiga or the Amiga custom chipset.

Quote:

eXec wrote:
@Spectre660

poor Flash...

Last edited by Spectre660 on 17-Apr-2011 at 04:02 PM.

Amigo1 
Posted on 17-Apr-2011 16:00:56
#258 ]

@Caveman
Quote:
@Spectre660

You can't possibly build up anything,if your OS lack most features,almost any other OS under the sun,had for years,and not to talk about the software base... Do you really think it would help to sell 6-7 years old hardware for 1500-2000 euro? No matter how you look at it,AmigaOS would be better of if it was open sourced,and run on cheap hardware

Yes! and we could call it something like Amiga opensouRce Operating System.. or AmigaROS!!
That would surely sell in minions!!

Last edited by Amigo1 on 17-Apr-2011 at 04:17 PM.
Last edited by Amigo1 on 17-Apr-2011 at 04:17 PM.

Amigo1 
Posted on 17-Apr-2011 16:16:04
#259 ]

@opi

Quote:

opi wrote:
@eliyahu

[quote] If someone says he don't want to see submarine with Windows I can only hope no weapon would ever run AmigaOS in current state.

not that it would make any difference if the control program keeping the missile from being launched crashes..

Actually, if it was in a weapon, you surely want AmigaOS on it.. or can you cope with the fact that from the moment you press the trigger, the shot takes time and time to get to it's way!! :o)
And I would not surf the web or use any game or old 68k graphics software prone to crashing the system while in a combat situation!!!

SinanG 
Posted on 17-Apr-2011 17:03:02
#260 ]

@all

It's great to read Dave's comments.

But I can't understand all this neverending discussion...

I own a brand new Sam460 and I am a OS-4 beta-tester, but at the sametime I have a MacMini running MOS2.7 demo and Acer Aspire for Icaros 2.6. They are all fun. They have their own advantages and disadvantages.

Well, none of the options will take over the world, we still have to use Windowze at offices, but at least we have choices in Amiga-like systems.. It is a better place for people with Amiga-passion then 3 or 4 years ago..

Amiga A1222 2GB Radeon RX 550
Sam 460 2GB RadeonRX 550

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle