Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
7 crawler(s) on-line.
 139 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

DiscreetFX

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 DiscreetFX:  2 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 35 mins ago
 Hammer:  2 hrs 25 mins ago
 Rob:  3 hrs 2 mins ago
 billt:  3 hrs 11 mins ago
 amigang:  3 hrs 21 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  3 hrs 24 mins ago
 agami:  3 hrs 47 mins ago
 matthey:  3 hrs 53 mins ago
 kolla:  4 hrs 1 min ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  The new Commodore from USA is no more now soon?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 Next Page )
PosterThread
number6 
Re: The new Commodore from USA is no more now soon?
Posted on 7-May-2011 16:56:16
#181 ]
Elite Member

@BillE

Quote:
why is it even allowed on AWN ?

Commodore USA's Amigas and Amigaworld.net

Quote:
Start threads in Alt Amiga OS forum if it concerns AROS on C=USA IBM-PC clones.

Otherwise; use General Technology or Free for All.

It's up to staff as to whether to enforce this or not. It's currently in "Amiga General Chat".

Last edited by number6 on 07-May-2011 at 05:08 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
ribdevil 
Posted on 7-May-2011 17:09:19
#182 ]

@damocles

Excuse me, but, I think that a PC with a logo "AMIGA" , (if they make it) it's not an AMIGA, I think that AROS is AROS, MORPHOS is MORPHOS, and NOT AMIGA, yes , maybe have a feeling "like", but not are AMIGA.

Sorry but this the cruel reality.

And I can't understan what are people talking about a new PC, in an AMIGA site.

And please excuse me again.

ribdevil 
Posted on 7-May-2011 17:22:32
#183 ]

@_ThEcRoW

The O.S. this is the system, so it's the key.

A Linux or Windows, or Mac is a Linux or PC or Mac, if I put a Emulator in it, that run AMIGA programs, it's an emulator in a PC , A Linux or a Mac with an aemulator not an AMIGA.

This is the matter that many people don't understan.

AMIGA is more than a logo or a name.

PC's have 24 cores, trillions of memory and super duper tuper acceeess, but they need to run a word procesor 22 cores, trillions of memory . So, I whit 128 Mg of RAM and a 20 MHz CPU can run a word procesor , and a program like ImageFX, that manipiles images, try this in a SUPER DUPER PC with trillions or RAM and CORES, if you only put the cache in OFF, try it, and you know the word "SLOOOOOOOOW".

So, my oldie system is better than a modern system, because needs less to make the same.

ribdevil 
Posted on 7-May-2011 17:23:45
#184 ]

@BillE

+1

bison 
Posted on 7-May-2011 17:31:48
#185 ]
Elite Member

@eXec

Quote:
check the C= facebook page and the homepage tomorrow. Surprise awaits you!

According to their Facebook page they are going to ship with Ubuntu 10.10, which is a little disappointing, since 11.04 has been out for a week now. There are understandable reasons for this -- 11.04 is the first release with Unity, and I expect that it's going to be a rough 6 months -- but it's still a little anticlimactic.

I'm looking for some reason to get excited about this, but at this point I'm still on the sidelines.

Last edited by bison on 07-May-2011 at 05:33 PM.

_ThEcRoW 
Posted on 7-May-2011 17:41:55
#186 ]
Cult Member

@ribdevil

You are evading the real question i made. What's the difference on a embedded board and a x86 board made by third party makers(not commodore or amiga team involved). Obviusly, there is a bunch of people that if it's not bearing os4, is not amiga, and the truth is that is as Amiga as the rest of the Amiga-related platforms.

Mac Mini G4 1GB Ram with the butterfly!!

jas_mc 
Posted on 7-May-2011 17:45:50
#187 ]

@Thread

No matter how imminent the new C64 is, I've gone from being a CUSA hater to being really impressed (even if I won't be buying their first product - but then, I never had a C64 the first time round - we had a Commodore +4 ).

It's almost surreal, but it feels like five minutes ago Barry Altman was setting up preposterous-seeming websites out of a furniture shop and we were shrieking with laughter. Now Disney list him as a partner, and it's astonishing how many laymen have come up to me saying, "Hey, have you seen that new C64 they're bringing out...?" When my Dad mentioned it, that was when I realised that something was really going on here. I'll wait till I see if they actually start shipping and make enough money to continue, but right now it seems like Altman has a lot of chutzpah and is making it happen. And I *do* think the C64 looks like a cool product, even if I won't be buying one myself.

To be honest, I'd prefer them not to be doing anything with the Amiga branding - but really, that's just the latest manifestation of a deeper problem (from my point of view) which is the separation of the OS and secondary brands (e.g. AmigaOne) from the core brand (Amiga). At the end of the day I think the C64 is cooler than AmigaAnywhere or Snowman Maker, so from my point of view it could be a lot worse.

If they do want to do a line of Amigas, I would encourage them to strike some kind of deal with Cloanto to bundle it with emulation, and work with copyright holders to offer an app store of downloadable classic games. And for god's sake, stick it in a replica A500 case, not what looks like a DVD player and ship it with some decent joysticks!

I don't really see any competition - just potential confusion that the different companies should work together to dispel. The original Amiga was a physical computer that ran an OS and had a distinct brand. All those things went separate ways. Hyperion are trying to put a modern computing experience on top of a retro OS, while CUSA are trying to put a retro experience on top of a modern OS. And Natami are trying to resurrect the original computer. No one's focussing on all three aspects (brand/ OS/ hardware), so you have to follow the one you care about most.

I think one thing's definitely true. If CUSA does succeed with the C64 and embarks on a similar project for Amiga, it stands a better chance of reaching a larger audience than OS 4.1, simply because it's more populist (it's basically a normal computer that makes you a bit misty-eyed about your childhood). But it's not a race. I think some of the more vocal CUSA and OS 4.1 fans see this as a competition to take the Amiga crown - as if CUSA getting a market share would mean loads of OS 4.1/ Morphos/ AROS users having to go, "Wow, I guess I was wrong... I'll bin my Sam/Pegasos/Ares immediately and buy a CUSA product, even though I hate Linux and commodity hardware, since that has emerged as the one true Amiga and I am a good faithful Amigan..." Rubbish. Just buy the product you like best. That should be especially easy when there's so little overlap in potential customer base!

If CUSA is here to stay and does bring products to market, I hope that they don't have a deadly rivalry with Hyperion because I do use Linux PCs too, and one day (not any time soon) might like to have a Sam as well as a new Commodore Amiga without feeling like a traitor...

damocles 
Posted on 7-May-2011 18:12:02
#188 ]

@ribdevil

Quote:
Excuse me, but, I think that a PC with a logo "AMIGA" , (if they make it) it's not an AMIGA, I think that AROS is AROS, MORPHOS is MORPHOS, and NOT AMIGA, yes , maybe have a feeling "like", but not are AMIGA. Sorry but this the cruel reality. And I can't understan what are people talking about a new PC, in an AMIGA site. And please excuse me again.

That's OK, C=USA won't care as they are working on new Commodore Amigas regardless what you are calling their product(s).

eXec 
Posted on 7-May-2011 18:57:45
#189 ]
Cult Member

@jas_mc

Quote:
If CUSA is here to stay and does bring products to market, I hope that they don't have a deadly rivalry with Hyperion because I do use Linux PCs too, and one day (not any time soon) might like to have a Sam as well as a new Commodore Amiga without feeling like a traitor...

They don`t, by Hyperion does. It`s all about greed. Seems that another fish is in the
pool, a big one. It will apparently eat all of them. That`s the main point.

eXec 
Posted on 7-May-2011 19:01:27
#190 ]
Cult Member

@fryguy

Quote:

fryguy wrote:
@eXec

Thought this thread was about C= USA. You seem to think i'm interested in X1000, i'm not.
I think it is slow and overpriced (there are already 6 cores x86 cpus pretty cheap and the X1000 has 2 cores and isn't even released yet).

But i doubt the C64 PC (whatever it's called) will sell good either (if ever released). There's nothing special about it except the case. It will probably be very expensive too.

Retro with newest technology seems to be quite xpensive these days.
I think that Amiga line will be in the range of acceptable price. In any case more
acceptable than X1000 (if it ever sees the light of the day in quantity more
than those 5 mbos shown somewhere on net).

Last edited by eXec on 07-May-2011 at 07:03 PM.

number6 
Posted on 7-May-2011 19:02:15
#191 ]
Elite Member

@eXec

Sadly, I must admit I don't understand a word of your last post, much less how it applies to the poster you quoted.

Quote:
They don`t, by Hyperion does. It`s all about greed. Seems that another fish is in the

Could you be more specific? (it's just the language thing again)

Last edited by number6 on 07-May-2011 at 07:03 PM.

eXec 
Posted on 7-May-2011 19:04:21
#192 ]
Cult Member

@number6

Quote:

number6 wrote:
@eXec

Sadly, I must admit I don't understand a word of your last post, much less how it applies to the poster you quoted.

Quote:

Could you be more specific? (it's just the language thing again)

is it better now? sorry, correct me till we come till its understandable

number6 
Posted on 7-May-2011 19:08:20
#193 ]
Elite Member

@eXec

Heh. No. I mean I don't understand:

Quote:

So..
(1)What does "they don't, by Hyperion does" mean?

(2)How does greed fit into this..and who's greed are you talking about?

(3)Who or what is this fish?

(4)Why is this fish apparently going to eat "all of them" and who is "all of them"?

eXec 
Posted on 7-May-2011 19:25:39
#194 ]
Cult Member

@number6

OK, let me try to recompile it again...

1.) Hyperion got a hand of friendship by C=, they refused it.
2.) Greed means (my opinion) that they want to take all what is left of Amiga
for themselves. Os firstly, latter cooperation with AEon (hardware).
3.) Fish is the C=, they appear suddenly out of nowhere and are a quite
big threat to them.
4.) C= will grow bigger, stronger and with that (through time) one day in
near future I hope, get the all remaining licenses while Hyperion will
be upgrading the snowman applications from AInc...

;)

jas_mc 
Posted on 7-May-2011 19:35:22
#195 ]

@eXec

I think it's worth stepping back for a moment and considering the bigger picture before we call Hyperion greedy. I don't think a greedy man would go within a hundred miles of AmigaOS 4 (or Morphos or AROS for that matter...).

number6 
Posted on 7-May-2011 19:35:34
#196 ]
Elite Member

@eXec

Quote:
1.) Hyperion got a hand of friendship by C=, they refused it.

Link me to a direct quote from Barry Altman that says that.
And no...I don't want to hear what Leo or Dammy has to say about this, because it's not relevant.

Quote:
2.) Greed means (my opinion) that they want to take all what is left of Amigafor themselves. Os firstly, latter cooperation with AEon (hardware).

They've admitted countless times that they don't have the resources to do any such thing, so I have to dismiss that point as well.

Quote:
3.) Fish is the C=, they appear suddenly out of nowhere and are a quitebig threat to them.

No. Amiga Inc. is the threat to them and always has been, not C=USA.
You might recall the AROS episode was about Hyperion and Amiga Inc. and NADA to do with C=USA or AROS themselves.

Quote:
4.) C= will grow bigger, stronger and with that (through time) one day innear future I hope, get the all remaining licenses while Hyperion willbe upgrading the snowman applications from AInc...

I'm sure the goal is to grow and that C64x is just a means to that end. But honestly man...it's not Hyperion you have to worry about...it's Amiga Inc.

sundown 
Posted on 7-May-2011 19:47:18
#197 ]
Elite Member

@damocles

Quote:
@sundown

How about you stop trolling in C=USA threads?

Trolling is in the sight of the beholder, many here consider any C=USA threads as trolling. You seem to have no problems trolling in OS4 threads. I show respect for ppl that respect my hobby, not those who seem to think its ok to trash my choice. Doesn't need to be this way, but it's up to C=USA & its supporters, to change how the company's presented. You're doing a lousy job so far.

vox 
Posted on 7-May-2011 20:34:27
#198 ]
Elite Member

@sundown

Double dat.

Know how lame CUSA is video clearly says
"spamming the community" (which is not theirs or neither of their computer)

linnar 
Posted on 7-May-2011 20:41:19
#199 ]
Cult Member

@vox

Quote:

vox wrote:
@linnar

Quote:

linnar wrote:
@persia

I just wanted to point out that all would benefit from cooperating, rather than resisted. Now finally a strong player in the market have stepped into the arena. From there might be very good if all cooperating, instead of throwing crap at each other.

The companies you mention that could come back, there is no such commitment from them? If there is anyone who bets on a return there will be no return. Therefore inappropriate to compare.

Well, to my knowledge, CUSA first started to promose AROS, dropped it and started to diss the community. So, no cooperation offered, publicly known while threats and spamming are constant.

Half of the AMIGA RELATED products are still avail so dont call me duppy (dead)
if I&I livieth.

And how has the CUSA shown to be STRONG PLAYER? By braking promises such
as AROS support, A1200 case for Amiga line, playing with Workench name,
or by missing to show any idea of what CommodoreOS is to the public?

Strong actor has nothing to do with changing names, etc. to do. However, a strong (and weak) operator keep secret certain things to be first with it. There is always a market advantage to be first. Here I think of Commodore computers.

Anyway, I began my speech with an appeal for the Amiga Community should begin to collaborate and pull together, that is, agree on a computer technology and an operating system. It would all benefit. Especially now that the Commodore will draw people to the Amiga as we have never seen before.

If not (almost) all agree there will soon be out of the Amiga community. Then the Commodore stand completely alone with a huge market in front of him.

Vox, why do I believe that last sentence?

linnar 
Posted on 7-May-2011 20:44:11
#200 ]
Cult Member

@vox

Quote:

vox wrote:
@linnar

Quote:

linnar wrote:
New Commodore is probably more financial muscle than ever the old Commodore was. The prospects for a relaunch of the Commodore is the best.

Commodore International sold millions of computers and developed several generations, and yet company with 2 producs just repacked claims to be more solid.

By what fuzzy logic such superior statements can come from an ex or current Amiga user?

I write something and you respond to a totally different!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle