Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
9 crawler(s) on-line.
 92 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Maijestro:  9 mins ago
 Hypex:  10 mins ago
 fingus:  31 mins ago
 dirkzwager:  35 mins ago
 Karlos:  50 mins ago
 amigagr:  57 mins ago
 MagicSN:  1 hr 5 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 19 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 34 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 41 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  The new Commodore from USA is no more now soon?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 Next Page )
PosterThread
sundown 
Re: The new Commodore from USA is no more now soon?
Posted on 7-May-2011 21:04:37
#201 ]
Elite Member

@linnar

Quote:
If not (almost) all agree there will soon be out of the Amiga community. Then the Commodore stand completely alone with a huge market in front of him.

I'm still wondering who will buy their new system. There are four groups, the NG users, the classic users, the one time users, & the last are the group that have never owed an Amiga. You won't sell many, if any, to the first group. The classic users won't jump on the NG or emulation wagon because they're h/w oriented. That leaves the last 2 groups, & I don't see huge sales to them.

Profile     Report this post  
linnar 
Posted on 7-May-2011 21:05:52
#202 ]
Cult Member

Quote:

eXec wrote:
You are getting me a bit wrong. I am not working for C= or promoting them with
some benefits. I just see them as a light on the end of the long and dark tunnel that
has swallowed Amiga for years. To gather Amiga and Commodore name and logo
on the very same way as it once was is a major success today. To be honest, I
never believed that it will happen again. There is certain amount of people here saying
that it is easy to buy company name and pretend to be it. But, if Hyperion managed
to buy C= name and all Amiga licenses I am sure that they would do exact the same
thing. It is the one and only correct way of doing business and generating the profit
which ignites new designs and new products. Without good PR, there is no cash.
PR and the brand visions are the main things that AEon and Hyperion will regrettably
never have and it`s the main reason why will they fail to move from dead point they
are stuck now. On the other side C= did what all of them fail to do for the last 17 years.
They successfully revived the brand, they have the clear and straight vision, they
even did one of the most clever free marketing tricks (Disney/Tron DVD and web)
which launched the news all over the planet. In short, that is called a good planned PR.
Such way of thinking and planning can only bring good things as long as it stays on
that route. If Hyperion was clever, a certain piece of cake would already been in
on their plate. But hey. You know the track from Queen..
"I want it all, I want it all, I want it all and I want it now!" - such way of thinking
will kill them and AEon very soon.... As soon as the X1000 comes out and after
they realize that sales are under 100 pieces.

Exactly what I want to say.
Good written exec!

We are more than one viewing over the hill, but most are looking at the hill! For every day that passes, more and more to come with the gang who are watching over the hill.

Liking the Commodore does not automatically dislike other things.
I like a lot of the little achievements of the Amiga Community in the last 17 ​​years.

Mechanic 
Posted on 7-May-2011 21:06:10
#203 ]
Elite Member

@linnar

Quote:

linnar wrote:

If not (almost) all agree there will soon be out of the Amiga community. Then the Commodore stand completely alone with a huge market in front of him.

You need to rewrite or rephrase the first part.

number6 
Posted on 7-May-2011 21:11:52
#204 ]
Elite Member

@linnar

You quoted @exec:

Quote:
If Hyperion was clever, a certain piece of cake would already been inon their plate.

Quote:

ok. Then you obviously never read what I posted.

linnar 
Posted on 7-May-2011 21:16:10
#205 ]
Cult Member

@TiredofLife

Quote:

TiredofLife wrote:
@All

I am seeing this type of thread over and over again here and elsewhere.
What I can't get my head around is why?

CUSA are a company that are about to produce pc's running Linux, some in retro cases and badged using names that many have fond memories for.

So on that basis, why so much fanboyism and hatred?
CUSA are either the spawn of the devil or the second coming, depending on who posts.

I cant understand either viewpoint.
Dell produce PCs with Linux, nobody is hounding them.
The only difference from CUSA is the branding.

Is that really what everyone is getting worked up about?

CUSA are not going to steal customers away from Hyperion/Acube/MOS and all the other players in Amigaland, they are operating in a different market.
I seriously doubt anyone is going to buy one of their machines mistaking if for a SAM460 for instance .

CUSA are also not going to catapult Amigans back to te cutting edge of technology.
They flirted with the idea of AROS and rejected it, and as far as I know, they have made no attempt to have either AOS4 or MorphOS ported to their hardware.
Their company their choice.

So in summary, as CUSA will neither be advancing or detracting from any of the Amiga OSes, why all the fanboyism and hatred?

In fact I think the Commodore will speed development for all other players in the Amiga because they not only draws lots of customers themselves, they will also attract the interest of clones among some of its customers. Therefore, everyone should be happy about the Commodore if things go well for them.

eXec 
Posted on 7-May-2011 21:17:49
#206 ]
Cult Member

@linnar

Quote:

linnar wrote:
@vox

Quote:

vox wrote:
@linnar

[quote]
linnar wrote:
New Commodore is probably more financial muscle than ever the old Commodore was. The prospects for a relaunch of the Commodore is the best.

Commodore International sold millions of computers and developed several generations, and yet company with 2 producs just repacked claims to be more solid.

By what fuzzy logic such superior statements can come from an ex or current Amiga user?

I write something and you respond to a totally different!
[/quote]

It`s almost always like that. THe point is that he has some fetish on spiting and pointing
out how CUSA is lame, no use , worhless , spammers, vaporware...etc...etc..

eXec 
Posted on 7-May-2011 21:18:33
#207 ]
Cult Member

@bison

Quote:

bison wrote:
@eXec

Quote:
check the C= facebook page and the homepage tomorrow. Surprise awaits you!

According to their Facebook page they are going to ship with Ubuntu 10.10, which is a little disappointing, since 11.04 has been out for a week now. There are understandable reasons for this -- 11.04 is the first release with Unity, and I expect that it's going to be a rough 6 months -- but it's still a little anticlimactic.

I'm looking for some reason to get excited about this, but at this point I'm still on the sidelines.

I havent seen it. Hm... I will ask about that... good spot! thnx!

eXec 
Posted on 7-May-2011 21:19:52
#208 ]
Cult Member

@jas_mc

Quote:

jas_mc wrote:
@eXec

I think it's worth stepping back for a moment and considering the bigger picture before we call Hyperion greedy. I don't think a greedy man would go within a hundred miles of AmigaOS 4 (or Morphos or AROS for that matter...).

And why did they refused cooperation with C= ? What else lies behind that act
of ignorance?

damocles 
Posted on 7-May-2011 21:22:41
#209 ]

@sundown

Quote:
Trolling is in the sight of the beholder, many here consider any C=USA threads as trolling. You seem to have no problems trolling in OS4 threads. I show respect for ppl that respect my hobby, not those who seem to think its ok to trash my choice. Doesn't need to be this way, but it's up to C=USA & its supporters, to change how the company's presented. You're doing a lousy job so far.

Back it up then, what threads was I trolling against OS4? Or are you confusing my negative comments about A1X1K hardware as OS4 trolling? Hell, C=USA tried to talk to Ben about a OS4 port, which he was not interested; at that time. If he had made a deal for porting OS4 to x86, would you still be trolling in a C=USA thread? Some how, I don't think so.

I can only imagine the hate and venom flowing once the first Commodore Amiga is released.

eXec 
Posted on 7-May-2011 21:25:31
#210 ]
Cult Member

@number6

Quote:
Link me to a direct quote from Barry Altman that says that. And no...I don't want to hear what Leo or Dammy has to say about this, because it's not relevant.

There was a post somewhere here where either Barry or Leo explained the whole
story about Hyperion ignorance.

Quote:
3.) Fish is the C=, they appear suddenly out of nowhere and are a quitebig threat to them. No. Amiga Inc. is the threat to them and always has been, not C=USA. You might recall the AROS episode was about Hyperion and Amiga Inc. and NADA to do with C=USA or AROS themselves.

I still claim that Hyperion sees a great threat in C=. At least they are acting so from
the stories I have heard and concluded from them.

Quote:
I'm sure the goal is to grow and that C64x is just a means to that end. But honestly man...it's not Hyperion you have to worry about...it's Amiga Inc.

Believe me, AInc is the smallest thing to be worried about.

eXec 
Posted on 7-May-2011 21:32:41
#211 ]
Cult Member

@linnar

Quote:
We are more than one viewing over the hill, but most are looking at the hill! For every day that passes, more and more to come with the gang who are watching over the hill.

Perhaps the community is frustrated with all vaporwares and promises through
the last 17 years. Perhaps this massive panic attacks are growing out of that
disappointment soil. Who knows. The fact is that C= is here. C= is back and it will
play the greatest role since the old C= died in the history of Amiga line computers.
Whether some like it or not , those new C= Amigas will bring new people, new cash
into development process and it will directly affect on Hyperion and their business
strategy, unless they crash and burn because of this whole PPC fairy tale.

number6 
Posted on 7-May-2011 21:33:00
#212 ]
Elite Member

@eXec

Quote:
There was a post somewhere here where either Barry or Leo explained the wholestory about Hyperion ignorance.

If it was Barry, give me a link.
If it was Leo, don't care, since he would have no clue what was said in a meeting between 2 principals.

Quote:
I still claim that Hyperion sees a great threat in C=. At least they are acting so fromthe stories I have heard and concluded from them.

Ahh...more proof "stories I have heard" and "conclusions you've made"??. Let's try to post some facts instead of rumors, ok?

Quote:
Believe me, AInc is the smallest thing to be worried about.

Sorry, but that's the funniest thing I've read today. You've connected yourselves to an entity that many important people will not touch with a ten foot pole. You DO know that, right?

sundown 
Posted on 7-May-2011 21:39:42
#213 ]
Elite Member

@damocles

I didn't bring up the "trolling" comment first, you did, & yes, opinions are trolling if presented in an overly nasty way.

An os4 x86 version would be interesting, but again, none of us know how such a deal was presented to Hyperion with their commitment to ACube & a-eon.

Quote:
I can only imagine the hate and venom flowing once the first Commodore Amiga is released.

No more then what was given to the A1 & what the X-1000 will receive, why do you think C=USA deserves better?

number6 
Posted on 7-May-2011 21:45:24
#214 ]
Elite Member

@damocles

Quote:
Hell, C=USA tried to talk to Ben about a OS4 port, which he was not interested; at that time.

But again Randy...this is just not that simple, and unfortunately neither you nor I personally can satisfy the condition that needs to be in place for some interesting possibilities to emerge.

Last edited by number6 on 07-May-2011 at 09:46 PM.

linnar 
Posted on 7-May-2011 21:52:57
#215 ]
Cult Member

@sundown

Quote:

sundown wrote:
@linnar

Quote:

I'm still wondering who will buy their new system. There are four groups, the NG users, the classic users, the one time users, & the last are the group that have never owed an Amiga. You won't sell many, if any, to the first group. The classic users won't jump on the NG or emulation wagon because they're h/w oriented. That leaves the last 2 groups, & I don't see huge sales to them.

Probably the ground is more complex than you describe. Retro products or products based on older famous names are popular today. Over time, these products will grow into the older culture's values ​​for later BECOME the older product with existing technology. Customers will see the Commodore Amiga as the true Commodore Amiga.

Pre-ordered are better than expected. The question is whether the 1200st C64 a day (planned output) is sufficient to satisfy the market.

The market has shown an interest hysterically for Commodore products.

Of course, the upcoming OS to be very Amiga and the need for special hardware in the Amiga machine that only has the Amiga. I have heard that they have such plans.

Last edited by linnar on 07-May-2011 at 10:05 PM.
Last edited by linnar on 07-May-2011 at 10:04 PM.

linnar 
Posted on 7-May-2011 21:58:18
#216 ]
Cult Member

@Mechanic

Quote:

Mechanic wrote:
@linnar

Quote:

linnar wrote:

You need to rewrite or rephrase the first part.

I write bad English, sorry!

So here I meant:
Although not all agree with that so will the Commodore stand alone in the market (if not the Amiga Community collaborates on a hardware and an os).

Last edited by linnar on 07-May-2011 at 10:06 PM.

linnar 
Posted on 7-May-2011 22:02:28
#217 ]
Cult Member

@number6

Quote:

number6 wrote:
@linnar

You quoted @exec:

Quote:
If Hyperion was clever, a certain piece of cake would already been inon their plate.

Quote:

ok. Then you obviously never read what I posted.

I do not quite understand what you mean?
I have read the link you specify.

tomazkid 
Posted on 7-May-2011 22:04:25
#218 ]
Team Member

@BillE

Quote:
Which as it has *nothing* to do with Amiga whatsoever, why is it even allowed on AWN ?

Because it is a matter of keeping consistency.
We could ban CUSA-discussions, but then you could argue Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony, Google, Nokia, HTC, and other companies and discussions about them should be banned as well.

Simply, where to draw the line?
It can't be done in any easy way.

Remember Peg 2 discussions from years ago?
People wanted to ban discussions about Peg 2 as it was a competitor to AmigaOne.
Then, OS4 was made for it, and suddenly no one wanted to ban discussions about Peg 2 anymore.

number6 
Posted on 7-May-2011 22:18:13
#219 ]
Elite Member

@linnar

Quote:
I do not quite understand what you mean?
I have read the link you specify.

You've been here a long time linnar. We've been in many threads discussing the comings and goings of Amiga Inc. and all the trouble they have caused the community.
I've posted many times that a court judgment is not the same as a settlement.
The Amiga Inc. v Hyperion VOF case ended in a settlement, not a judgment.
Settlements are tested and we've seen Amiga Inc. "test" the boundaries of the settlement several times already.
I've mentioned to several posters quick to point a finger at Hyperion (since they are the only ones visible), that perhaps they should take a look at another company as being the impediment to the co-operation they so desire.

Let's not forget they also stabbed C=USA in the back as well. Please don't try to counter that with Barry's quote from Commodore-amiga.org about how good this IContain thing is for everyone...
His statement on amiga.org more truly represents his immediate reaction to this I'm sure...
But wait! He had to support his partner. But wait! Hyperion made similar supporting statements about Amiga Inc. in the past and they got crucified for taking the same track. Can you see how silly this is to say "well, when WE do it..it's ok, but when the other guy does it...it's wrong"?

Surely you can see who the common element is when everything goes wrong for aspiring Amigalike companies.

sundown 
Posted on 7-May-2011 22:48:01
#220 ]
Elite Member

@linnar

Quote:
Customers will see the Commodore Amiga as the true Commodore Amiga

This is where we have to disagree, the true classic reto group will never accept any new ppc or x86 system as a replacement.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle