Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
13 crawler(s) on-line.
 121 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 pavlor:  8 mins ago
 Birbo:  8 mins ago
 Hypex:  13 mins ago
 matthey:  13 mins ago
 AmigaMac:  25 mins ago
 amigakit:  57 mins ago
 A1200:  2 hrs 6 mins ago
 michalsc:  2 hrs 11 mins ago
 OlafS25:  3 hrs 9 mins ago
 clint:  3 hrs 14 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  The new Commodore from USA is no more now soon?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 Next Page )
PosterThread
eXec 
Re: The new Commodore from USA is no more now soon?
Posted on 9-May-2011 13:52:48
#301 ]
Cult Member

@Mechanic

Quote:

Mechanic wrote:
@eXec

Quote:

eXec wrote:

http://ht.ly/4QaWt

So much about your troll "voyahe"..

Let us see something about OS4 and X1000 on CNN! I saw nothing yet?

Thanks for the link. I couldn't find anything under computers. Turns out it is
'Filed under: Gaming & Gadgets'.

Think it`s basically because C64 was a gaming machine. Hopefully Amiga line
goes under computers! ;)

Profile     Report this post  
damocles 
Posted on 9-May-2011 13:56:56
#302 ]

@Cool_amigaN

Quote:
I can't understand, why the videos of the CUSA's case production are brought to its defense from time to time. I mean, whoever has even the slightest clue of what the footage really shows, he will surely come to the conclusion that this is a back yard's production unit dedicated for hobby/amateurish/small projects.

If C64x is a backyard product made for hobby/amateurish/small project and it's outsold ever A1 (Teron), Sam44/460, Peg, and A1X1K (pre-order) combined in less then 24 hours of it's pre-order launch, what does that make the Eyetech/Hyperion/A-EON's efforts?

persia 
Posted on 9-May-2011 14:03:36
#303 ]

@Wildstar128

Oh, come on, Barry has an itchy trigger finger when it comes to lawyers. I have nothing against a satellite TV installer/furniture guy building computers but he's got to have a little more thick a skin. In his old business he basically deals with a few consumers on a one on one basis, but now with C=USA he's dealing with the mass market. It's a different world. Not everyone is going to like him. And what he says and does are going to be picked apart every way to sunday. If he can't deal with that then he should just stick with selling commodes and get out of the business.

I've seen nothing anywhere that could be LEGALLY called libellous. The internet is full of people calling things this and that and there's really nothing Barry can do about it. Barry doesn't have what it takes to play in the big boys world, imagine Steve Jobs or Bill Gates worrying about the millions and millions of webpages and internet postings dissing them.

Barry, grow a pair.

eXec 
Posted on 9-May-2011 14:15:34
#304 ]
Cult Member

@damocles

Quote:

damocles wrote:
@Cool_amigaN

Quote:
I can't understand, why the videos of the CUSA's case production are brought to its defense from time to time. I mean, whoever has even the slightest clue of what the footage really shows, he will surely come to the conclusion that this is a back yard's production unit dedicated for hobby/amateurish/small projects.

If C64x is a backyard product made for hobby/amateurish/small project and it's outsold ever A1 (Teron), Sam44/460, Peg, and A1X1K (pre-order) combined in less then 24 hours of it's pre-order launch, what does that make the Eyetech/Hyperion/A-EON's efforts?

A waste of time and money. Without vision and strategy it is completely worthless.
A good and tactical PR is what sells a product. What use of mega cool OS when no one
outside a small hobby community have heard about it.?

Last edited by eXec on 09-May-2011 at 02:26 PM.

Cool_amigaN 
Posted on 9-May-2011 14:17:10
#305 ]

@damocles

More or less the same. Why asking?

nimrod7 
Posted on 9-May-2011 14:33:03
#306 ]

Ian Hetherington, the director of Psygnosis, once said about Psygnosis' strategy: '(to) foster the talent, and yield the product, not buy the product'.
I wonder if it has to do with all this C=USA vs. ' true Amiga world' discussion.

"Marxism must abhor nothing so much as the possibility that it becomes congealed in its current form. It is at its best when butting heads in self-criticism, and in historical thunder and lightning, it retains its strength" - Rosa Luxemburg.

damocles 
Posted on 9-May-2011 14:58:57
#307 ]

@Cool_amigaN

Barry has released sales information on the first couple of days worth of C64x pre-order sales. Who is a backyard production again?

Lets see here, if Hyperion was going to collect $25 (think that was what they were charging EyeTech) @ C64x/Amiga sale, that means Hyperion would have a $500,000 check coming to them just for first couple of days of sales alone from the C64x's pre-orders. Or was it $50, damn, been too long for my memory now.

eXec 
Posted on 9-May-2011 15:18:11
#308 ]
Cult Member

@damocles

Quote:

damocles wrote:
@Cool_amigaN

Barry has released sales information on the first couple of days worth of C64x pre-order sales. Who is a backyard production again?

Lets see here, if Hyperion was going to collect $25 (think that was what they were charging EyeTech) @ C64x/Amiga sale, that means Hyperion would have a $500,000 check coming to them just for first couple of days of sales alone from the C64x's pre-orders. Or was it $50, damn, been too long for my memory now.

Hey, it seems that they don`t need money. They are full as Switzerland.
They could get easy money for further and accelerated OS development but,
we all know why is it like that. Why to work all together when we can fight till
death, even if we are basically on the same side.
Paradox called Amiga.

Mechanic 
Posted on 9-May-2011 15:35:52
#309 ]
Elite Member

@damocles

Quote:

damocles wrote:
@Mechanic

Quote:
X500 not A500x. Go look at the front page.

So what do you think would be wrong with the X500 then?

Quote:
Well then..... no AROS on cusa computers must be Ainc's doing. Cool.

No, it was Ben's threat.

Read THIS then please explain why when
Hyperion ( or ANY one else) protects their rights they are nasty people, but when cusa does it , , ,
well that's OK, it's cusa and they have every right to do so.

PHOOEY -

damocles 
Posted on 9-May-2011 15:45:04
#310 ]

@Mechanic

Quote:
Read THIS then please explain why when Hyperion ( or ANY one else) protects their rights they are nasty people, but when cusa does it , , , well that's OK, it's cusa and they have every right to do so.

Never said Hyperion was nasty for trying to protect itself. They have to look out for themselves and Amiga Inc's IP. It's been linked on here that Ben threatened legal action against AI if the new Commodore Amiga systems that had a specific OS quality as defined in the AI-Hyperion settlement. Can't blame Hyperion for wanting to enforce the settlement.

elatour 
Posted on 9-May-2011 17:14:08
#311 ]
Cult Member

@all

Wow! Unbelievable how this thread whose original question was pretty much answered soon after it was posted a while ago, still has legs and carries on for so long. It seems to have degenerated down to whether CUSA and/or Hyperion sucks or not with some folks expressing their hopes that it will fail while others hope it will succeed. How this has anything to do with answering the question around whether a statement on made by someone MooBuny about CUSA's imminent demise was correct or not is beyond me!

Last edited by elatour on 09-May-2011 at 05:15 PM.

Mechanic 
Posted on 9-May-2011 20:05:11
#312 ]
Elite Member

@elatour

Let me try to explain.......

That about sums it up.

vox 
Posted on 9-May-2011 20:08:58
#313 ]
Elite Member

@elatour

Well, remember this? Everyone should have a lawyar in family.
http://www.osnews.com/story/23756/Commodore_USA_Threatens_OSNews_with_Legal_Action

pavlor 
Posted on 9-May-2011 20:19:55
#314 ]
Elite Member

@vox

Old, old news. There was public apology from Barry Altman.

eXec 
Posted on 9-May-2011 21:54:28
#315 ]
Cult Member

@pavlor

Quote:

pavlor wrote:
@vox

Old, old news. There was public apology from Barry Altman.

Strange, no wikipedia links from him recently.

vox 
Posted on 9-May-2011 22:03:42
#316 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor
Never said it is new, just PR style showoff.
Where can I&I see the apology cause he needs to make the same to me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTlozTEsbVM

jas_mc 
Posted on 9-May-2011 22:40:33
#317 ]

@All

Commodore USA being successful won't stop them being a back room outfit. They'll just be a back room outfit that's done really well

The small numbers of staff and individualist nature of the operation is what makes them back room (case in point, copying and pasting a legal document for the wrong state online and sending it off to someone - also, negotiating the rights for something by pretending you already have them!).

That's not a criticism by the way - this is exactly what I mean when I say Barry Altman has chutzpah 20,000 units pre-sold (and I find that plausible - my Dad has heard of it) speaks for itself, so more fool us.

Like I've said before, I would prefer it if Commodore USA left Amiga alone, but it may be in the future that we simply have to accept that there are two different spheres that are legally allowed to use Amiga brandings:

- A new Commodore Amiga (whether I like it or not), which produces modern computers with superficial retro branding (in the first instance) and possibly a modern Linux-based OS (in the longer term) to target the nostalgic masses;

- AmigaOne/AmigaOS, which is to do with the actively developed operating system that descended from the original Amiga Workbench.

As long as these guys can co-exist (with AmigaOS prob'ly targeting a far smaller market) I can live with it. My only concern is that AmigaOS 4.1 (which I've just discovered and am very much enjoying as what appears to be my main machine) survives and continues to be updated and developed for.

Having said which, I do use Linux PCs, and maybe in future I'll have a Commodore Amiga one, if it isn't made to feel like a betrayal. But if it carries on being a competition, as this thread shows, then I will have to side with AmigaOS 4.1, because it gives me something unique. Fact is I already have a Linux distro that I really like and root for (Crunchbang), so AmigaOS 4.1 adds more value to my computing than Commodore OS would.

Sorry, I realise that this is getting long... but worth saying that, based on how much air time the C64 is getting, I think Hyperion would gain from friendly relations (not doing business) with Commodore USA.

Say all parties realised they were targeting different audiences on different scales and became best friends instead of rowing. Commodore USA might have a bit on their site explaining that they're making a new OS, but that the original AmigaOS is still being developed, can do most modern computing tasks, runs on various bits of new and old hardware, and has an active community surrounding it. They're getting a lot of hits and interest, so having that in their faq would be a boon to the AmigaOS 4.1 community.

To be honest, I think there are a lot more people who would be interested in AmigaOS 4.1 if they knew it existed (and a portion of those would be interested in MorphOS or AROS if they liked the idea of AmigaOS 4.1 but were deterred by the point of entry).

In return, back-slapping and hand-shaking would result in a perception of legitimacy for Commodore USA's Amiga line (i.e., they're pals with the people who curate projects relating to the original OS).

I don't see why this shouldn't be possible (unless Amiga Inc. would object), simply because my impression is that Hyperion don't have any delusions of appealing to the masses (they know and want to serve their niche audience) and Commodore USA are focussed on a different bunch. So, I think both companies should consider whether they can benefit (very cheaply) from being on friendly terms in public, without actually doing any business together.

Anyway, that's my massive post for the day - I'm starting to wonder what my average word count is here

pavlor 
Posted on 9-May-2011 22:47:14
#318 ]
Elite Member

@jas_mc

Good written!

Quote:
Anyway, that's my massive post for the day - I'm starting to wonder what my average word count is here

More than 600 words? Impressive.

number6 
Posted on 9-May-2011 23:14:37
#319 ]
Elite Member

@jas_mc

If you're just promoting "getting along with one another", I don't see where Amiga Inc. has any say, not unless the settlement dictates who one can be friendly with, which is highly unlikely.
Put another way...if this world needs attorneys to dictate who we can be civil to, then we might as well all pack it in.

jas_mc 
Posted on 9-May-2011 23:18:39
#320 ]

@number6

"I don't see where Amiga Inc. has any say"

Neither do I - but I'm not a lawyer so just hedging my bets

EDIT: Settlement doesn't dictate who can be friendly with whom, but if Amiga Inc. were bitter enough about the dispute and resolution, maybe CUSA getting friendly with Hyperion could threaten the license's renewal in future.

However, I find that very implausible because a) AINC need to claw money back (they aren't in a good enough position to cut their noses off to spite their face like that) and b) CUSA apparently already approached Hyperion, so there goes that concern.

Last edited by jas_mc on 09-May-2011 at 11:22 PM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle