Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
30 crawler(s) on-line.
 108 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

matthey

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  3 mins ago
 pixie:  9 mins ago
 Rob:  10 mins ago
 FerruleMedia:  17 mins ago
 amigakit:  30 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  45 mins ago
 Dragster:  46 mins ago
 Karlos:  54 mins ago
 bhabbott:  1 hr 30 mins ago
 amig_os:  1 hr 49 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  The new Commodore from USA is no more now soon?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 Next Page )
PosterThread
WolfToTheMoon 
Re: The new Commodore from USA is no more now soon?
Posted on 10-May-2011 16:51:37
#341 ]

@redrumloa

Quote:
Actually according to the CNN article 60,000 people pre-ordered so you can deduce that 39,760 of them don't use Facebook

I'd like for this to be true...

Once the VIC-Book and the AMIGA line are out we could build a nice little market with hopefully enough devs to get it going forward. Video Toaster AMIGA could also help to bring in few professionals. All in all, onwards and upwards.

edit:typo

Last edited by WolfToTheMoon on 10-May-2011 at 04:51 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
damocles 
Posted on 10-May-2011 16:54:47
#342 ]

@Cool_amigaN

Quote:
Stop. Rewind. Did Barry actually told CNN that 20,000 units have been sold? But still no single user on all the major (retro) Commodore and Amiga fora internationally hasn't reported to have placed just ONE pre-order? Go figure...

I doubt the average retro Amiga person would say so publicly considering the damnation they would most likely be facing. Could you imagine just a normal AWN reader stating they did the pre-order of a C64x and what they would be called? You have to understand just how few people visit retro Commodore and Amiga sites, you can't judge a product's demand in the real world by that tiny sampling.

number6 
Posted on 10-May-2011 16:56:55
#343 ]
Elite Member

@WolfToTheMoon

I have to agree with you.
There is a slight difference in making a clear statement that "sales (pre-orders) so far number 60,000 vs

Quote:
He said about 20,000 models were ordered in each of the first few days they went on sale in early April.

"about" is vague. "few" by definition = "more than one but indefinitely small in number".

You could safely speculate across a wide range based on that.

eliyahu 
Posted on 10-May-2011 17:37:12
#344 ]

@damocles

Quote:
I doubt the average retro Amiga person would say so publicly considering the damnation they would most likely be facing. Could you imagine just a normal AWN reader stating they did the pre-order of a C64x and what they would be called? You have to understand just how few people visit retro Commodore and Amiga sites, you can't judge a product's demand in the real world by that tiny sampling.

well then allow me to get the ball rolling: while i haven't placed a pre-order, once the first reviews come out and verify the build quality, i will be purchasing at least one of the cases, possibly many more. i think they're terrific. i wouldn't pay for the included PC hardware, but the case is another thing.

i'm not 'on-board' with their amiga product strategy, but that doesn't mean i have to think they're the devil incarnate. i really disapproved with some of the early behavior, and very publicly. but they addressed it appropriately enough in my mind, and any animosity has long since evaporated. and as for the brand being used to flog PCs, well, it's also now being used to flog cheap chinese tat as well from icontain. so it doesn't really matter any more -- the ship has sailed.

let's just enjoy and promote our own hobby for what it is. if i found this place by happenstance and became an amigan last year, others can and will do so as well. there will probably be more 'newbies' like me just from wikipedia searches after CUSA announces their amiga-branded PCs than any promotion done outside the existing community for many years, so this doesn't have to be all negative.

-- eliyahu

number6 
Posted on 10-May-2011 17:47:17
#345 ]
Elite Member

@eliyahu

Quote:
once the first reviews come out and verify the build quality

Again, unless things have changed since the last filing by the former Asiarim (Now Commodore Holdings Corporation), the 1st approval is stated as being required to come from the licensor.
If nothing has changed in that regard, that's where I would expect the first official word to come from.

eliyahu 
Posted on 10-May-2011 17:50:35
#346 ]

@number6

Quote:
Again, unless things have changed since the last filing by the former Asiarim (Now Commodore Holdings Corporation), the 1st approval is stated as being required to come from the licensor.
If nothing has changed in that regard, that's where I would expect the first official word to come from.

i remember that requirement as well. i don't imagine, though, given the potential royalties they'd be missing out on, that they'd decline to allow the product to ship. it will probably represent the greatest revenue stream they've seen to date (assuming the sales 'projections' we've seen are accurate).

-- eliyahu

number6 
Posted on 10-May-2011 17:58:55
#347 ]
Elite Member

@eliyahu

Quote:
it will probably represent the greatest revenue stream they've seen to date (assuming the sales 'projections' we've seen are accurate)

That's kinda like saying "the finest ice hockey player in all of Ecuador", but ok. Heh.

From the February filing by Asiarim (at the time):
Quote:
Therefore there was no royalty income earned during the three months period ended December 31, 2010.

Last edited by number6 on 10-May-2011 at 06:01 PM.

Wildstar128 
Posted on 10-May-2011 19:28:58
#348 ]

@vox

If it is a personal email sent to you, it isn't against the law. BTW: Your personal identity on the web it public record if you have exposed your identity on the web. As a member of ISOC, although the web is outside ownership of any single entity, the people are subject to laws. Since international treaty and the debt that Europe has with United States in which the United States can collect by means of Sovereign default... Europe for the most part yields to U.S. law. Considering the U.S. has right of ownership to much of Europe. That is another can of worms that we'll leave to another day.

In any case, the letter is probably intended to tell you to knock your sh*t off. Express your opinion clearly as your personal opinion. Now, I will frankly tell you that Barry can care less about you or most of the small fries that it will be of little concern. Maybe things were a bit delicate earlier on but don't worry about it too much.

Just behave and when stating your personal opinion, do make it clear. You can show me all your evidence and I could surely pull up evidence on which you caused your own problem.

Most of the small fries on this and similar forums are little concern at this stage.

So, relax Vox. Unless you deliberately try to interfere with corporate activities of Commodore USA, LLC. and so on then you probably have nothing to worry about. Are you hurting them in terms of $$$. No one is going to sue for rememdy if there is no damage equal to any financial value. It is simply called a legal warning.

tommywright 
Posted on 10-May-2011 19:38:01
#349 ]

@eliyahu

I'm doing the same.. I want to see someone unbox one and play with it. I know there will probably be very little customer support based on his past company's BBB report so I want to be careful about purchasing one.

I think VOX is funny. He would do ANYTHING to stop this company and I don't understand why. It has so little to do with this particular community other than through name. I would think this community would be excited that someone might make a retro cool case with "Commodore" and "Amiga" branding for them to put their SAM boards into.

Magitius 
Posted on 10-May-2011 20:24:20
#350 ]

@tommywright

Quote:
I would think this community would be excited that someone might make a retro cool case with "Commodore" and "Amiga" branding for them to put their SAM boards into.

Indeed, I'd like to have a brand new Commodore Amiga case to put a Natami inside it.

Hondo 
Posted on 10-May-2011 20:29:30
#351 ]

@eXec

Are you paid for anti Hyperion= campaign or is it just pure pleasure?

vox 
Posted on 10-May-2011 20:45:06
#352 ]
Elite Member

@tommywright

Funny one!

Compare
http://www.amigahistory.co.uk/ahistory.html
http://www.amigahistory.co.uk/amigahistory.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Amiga
To
http://www.commodoreusa.net/CUSA_AboutAmiga.aspx

eXec 
Posted on 10-May-2011 21:57:23
#353 ]
Cult Member

@Hondo

Quote:

Hondo wrote:
@eXec

Are you paid for anti Hyperion= campaign or is it just pure pleasure?

I have nothing against them as long as they are constructive in terms of
getting Amiga OS up to date. I have against that because they are not up to date
and are leading it in totaly wrong course which means that a huge ammount of time
is lost. My second critic point is that they are doing nothing on the field of
PR and marketing, zero is done. Some stupid banners and stands under the tends
where we have a mass of maximum 300 people is sadly and simply not enough.
It makes no logic at all.

Amiga OS deserves more than that. It must be developed further, it must
bring new blood to Amiga community which is hardly divided between classic/ppc/x86.
According to the current state the whole community is inside 10 upcoming years, dead
and there will be no one to keep the Amiga spirit alive.

Last edited by eXec on 10-May-2011 at 10:00 PM.

tommywright 
Posted on 10-May-2011 22:05:23
#354 ]

@vox

Now you know if they put an all inclusive history of the Amiga on their site, you would go ape mad over it saying they are trying to portrait themselves as the old Commodore company.

I like you Vox, you're a passionate person and you make the forum entertaining as hell but try and look at the bright side of the CUSA thing. You'll probably get a retro-cool Commodore Amiga case for your SAM/Natami/Peg. Maybe some keyboards and mice.. dunno what they have planned but they are obviously open to selling "kits" for this community.

eder 
Posted on 10-May-2011 22:10:47
#355 ]

@eXec

You should stop this hunt for new up to date stuff, and start using whats out there.
There is plenty of software for our Sams Pegs and so on. A litte less posting on AWorld should do the trick

tommywright 
Posted on 10-May-2011 22:15:41
#356 ]

@vox

Wait, maybe I misunderstood... are you just pointing out that CUSA is not mentioned on these history sites? If so, I think that's because they simply haven't actually done anything yet... which is also reason not to get over concerned.

eXec 
Posted on 10-May-2011 22:17:57
#357 ]
Cult Member

@eder

Quote:

eder wrote:
@eXec

You should stop this hunt for new up to date stuff, and start using whats out there.
There is plenty of software for our Sams Pegs and so on. A litte less posting on AWorld should do the trick

Eder, if only I could use any of it..I would be the very first one to write about it.
In my tone studio I need hi Q audio workstation with strong multi core CPU,
decent audio system that is supported by os and that it is VST compatible.
mostly for audio/video synchro i get 1080p video on which i have to mix 5.1
audio. Do you know for any software that can do that on OS4 and on any sam?

Last edited by eXec on 10-May-2011 at 10:25 PM.
Last edited by eXec on 10-May-2011 at 10:18 PM.

eder 
Posted on 10-May-2011 22:49:48
#358 ]

@eXec

I See, then I am sorry to disapoint you, but you wont find that here..
I am just happy to see/use what pops up on OS4 depot

Stuff like Hits For Kids, and Ultima8

jas_mc 
Posted on 10-May-2011 23:06:00
#359 ]

@eXec

"According to the current state the whole community is inside 10 upcoming years, dead"

Well yeah - almost certainly!

It's weird that Amiga (in any form) lasted the first ten years. In the world of consumer technology, ten years is a stupidly long time. Symbian was a mover and shaker in the world of mobile OS, but based on the decision by Nokia to embrace Windows Phone 7, I'm guessing it won't last much longer. Windows as a brand has lasted but it's nothing like the original operating system (not to the user at least... I've no idea whether any original Windows code survived into NT). Mac ditched their original operating system in favour of a Unix-based one. CPUs come and go.

It's the big brands and companies that last. But they last by binning the stuff of yesteryear and aggressively developing new stuff. No one expects to be using something that's ten years old.

I think it's amazing that AmigaOS is still here and make no guesses about how long it will survive, but really, we'll be lucky if *any* of the computing we're doing in ten years much resembles what we do today. Rewind ten years backwards in time (mobile phones had a tiny monochrome screen, whereas now mobile computing is the major game in town) and then ten years again (no internet for Joe Public!).

In ten years time, this forum might be dead, and you might have a windowsworld forum where people curate the OS that Microsoft ditched in 2016.

Not that MS won't be around. It's just I predict they'll be doing something very different...

eXec 
Posted on 10-May-2011 23:23:29
#360 ]
Cult Member

@jas_mc

True... We`˛re allready dinosaurs.
For God`s sake, we dont even have a decent flash support. What to say then
about full hd video and surround sound which even better smartphone
hardware can decode in realtime.

We are faced with the fact that the most advanced Amiga hardware
is currently a "classic". Old and discontinued hardware that is despite the
fact of being abandoned anything but being cheep. Something went wrong,
something or someone played the wrong note. The whole "symphonie" is
in false key. But there is a small spark of light on the end of this tunnel, will
the majority face and use it properly, we`ll see it very soon.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle