Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
20 crawler(s) on-line.
 141 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  39 mins ago
 Hammer:  1 hr 29 mins ago
 Rob:  2 hrs 7 mins ago
 billt:  2 hrs 15 mins ago
 amigang:  2 hrs 26 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  2 hrs 28 mins ago
 agami:  2 hrs 52 mins ago
 matthey:  2 hrs 58 mins ago
 kolla:  3 hrs 5 mins ago
 Tuxedo:  4 hrs 14 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  The new Commodore from USA is no more now soon?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 Next Page )
PosterThread
number6 
Re: The new Commodore from USA is no more now soon?
Posted on 12-May-2011 18:28:21
#461 ]
Elite Member

@AmigaHeretic

Quote:
which is the only part he claims is missing.

You skipped over the part about bt resin then?
Or, you don't believe the hundreds of news stories on that topic after the tsunami?

Let's be fair and let people make up their own mind whether they feel the expressed reasons for delay are valid:

Barry:
http://www.amiga.org/forums/showpost.php?p=637000&postcount=62

Last edited by number6 on 12-May-2011 at 06:33 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
AmigaHeretic 
Posted on 12-May-2011 18:39:11
#462 ]

@number6

Quote:

number6 wrote:
@AmigaHeretic

Quote:
which is the only part he claims is missing.

You skipped over the part about bt resin then?

That's what I mean. "The cases" Being mold/resin/ etc etc, whatever I.e. there are no "Cases" at this time.

Everything else that can be lined up is. So motherboards, HDs, retail boxes, actual keyboards to go in the case, etc, etc...

So let's see these 60,000 items then! WHOOO HOOOO!! GO CUSA GO!!

jkirk 
Posted on 12-May-2011 18:40:21
#463 ]
Elite Member

@AmigaHeretic

Quote:
What does everyone else think? Want to see huge amounts of c64 keyboards piled high!? Show us Dammy!

i think that if they are running their business like the one i am in they don't have anything sitting around they don't have to. if they HAD to place an order for the keyboards they might have them otherwise they may only have samples. same for the motherboards and any other component. otherwise they are losing money.

Win•dows: n. A thirty-two bit extension and graphical shell to a sixteen-bit patch to an eight-bit operating system originally coded for a four-bit microprocessor which was written by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.

sundown 
Posted on 12-May-2011 18:44:14
#464 ]
Elite Member

@damocles

Quote:
A1X1K is still not out and C=USA has tens of thousands of pre-orders for C64x

Why is it you can't promote c=usa products without putting down others? Are you blind to what you post? eXec is the same, post just to stir the pot, no real content, just stir. It's not c=usa's product ppl hate, its the way you & others have to bring up the other guy to try & make c=usa look good. Here's a clue, its not working well for c=usa. Try promoting c=usa without bringing up Hyperion/a-eon/os4 & their h/w & you should see a more friendly attitude from us os4 fanboys.

Varisys is doing a fantastic job of putting the x1000 board through it paces, no quick testing, & their taking their time to catch any problems, well worth the wait.

Last edited by sundown on 13-May-2011 at 05:04 AM.

number6 
Posted on 12-May-2011 18:46:44
#465 ]
Elite Member

@jkirk

Quote:
i think that if they are running their business like the one i am in they don't have anything sitting around they don't have to.

Not just that. It's been stated repeatedly that the response was beyond what was expected (by a ton). If you accept that statement at face value, then even IF parts were on site, it would be only for a % of the current pre-order sales mentioned, hence why they ARE posting about delays for parts.

AmigaHeretic 
Posted on 12-May-2011 18:55:22
#466 ]

@jkirk

Quote:

jkirk wrote:
@AmigaHeretic

Quote:
What does everyone else think? Want to see huge amounts of c64 keyboards piled high!? Show us Dammy!

i think that if they are running their business like the one i am in they don't have anything sitting around they don't have to. if they HAD to place an order for the keyboards they might have them otherwise they may only have samples. same for the motherboards and any other component. otherwise they are losing money.

Yeah, Barry already said they did though in his "big" lecture on A.org. That is why I keep asking for proof and why I sound like a broken record. Hope that explains my ranting.

Mechanic 
Posted on 12-May-2011 18:58:34
#467 ]
Elite Member

@AmigaHeretic

Maybe it's a case of Murphy's first law.

Or, even the best plan of battle goes straight to hell at the first shot.

vox 
Posted on 12-May-2011 18:58:43
#468 ]
Elite Member

@number6

Dear Number 6,

Thanks for the Rod of correction, however I&I know the words from Ras Robert Nesta Marley and GetUP Stand Up (so with Peter Tosh) even, yes, its Mr. First presidents quote. Good. But seems CUSA boys should know the qiote from the school yard.

Also, yes, playing big numbers, just like in CUSA case is verrry old Amiga Inc stlye (great choice of first partner, boys! brings a lot of credibility!) and remains to see truth.

The bottom line is: they will be selling CBM64 first row when people see it as nice retro gadget. As soon as first line of humger (may it be 60 000 fools wordwide or people wanting nice looking AIO PC) passes, how they will repay all the campaigns and faked news of big come back? If CBM64 line doesnt go well, Commodore Amiga is out.

So lets see it in time: mind that product is already overpriced for x64 market, even if you count 100 euros for All In One keyboard (Which remains to be tested in real use),
that due to AIO design if not provided with lot of USBs it will practicaly be unexpandable, and it will be low level Atom with Linux (not bad for nettop, but that is up to 200 euros category).

Even the big lies cannot hide da small truth tor eva

number6 
Posted on 12-May-2011 18:58:57
#469 ]
Elite Member

@AmigaHeretic

Quote:
That is why I keep asking for proof and why I sound like a broken record. Hope that explains my ranting.

Heh. No...by then you'll move on to demanding to see scans of payments to prove ROI.

vox 
Posted on 12-May-2011 19:00:46
#470 ]
Elite Member

@sundown

Quote:

sundown wrote:
@damocles

Quote:
A1X1K is still not out and C=USA has tens of thousands of pre-orders for C64x

Why is it you can't promote c=usa products without putting down others? Are you blind to what you post? eXec is the same, post just to stir the pot, no real content, just stir. It's not c=usa's product ppl hate, its the way you & others have to bring up the other guy to try & make c=usa look good. Here's a clue, its not working well for c=usa. Try promoting c=usa without bringing up Hyperion/a-eon/os4 & their h/w & you should see a more friendly attitude from us os4 fanboys.

Varisy is doing a fantastic job of putting the x1000 board through it paces, no quick testing, & their taking their time to catch any problems, well worth the wait.

Double dat. My commitment comes from their bad blood and attitude, not the product I&I will critise for it flaws. Bad and Rudie style dem demonstrate since day one.

Rob 
Posted on 12-May-2011 19:43:40
#471 ]
Elite Member

@number6

Quote:
However, it's also a fact that they contacted Aminet, which is a s/w resource, in order to learn more about Amiga. That's a somewhat odd first contact if one is not interested in the operating system that runs said software. *shrug*

Todd Kleperis knew little to nothing about Amiga or the community when he approached Amiga Inc. I expect that Bill McEwan reeled off the old nonsense about 10,000 developers plus a few other embellishments and pointed Kleperis in the direction of Aminet.

number6 
Posted on 12-May-2011 19:49:36
#472 ]
Elite Member

@Rob

Quote:
Todd Kleperis knew little to nothing about Amiga or the community when he approached Amiga Inc. I expect that Bill McEwan reeled off the old nonsense about 10,000 developers plus a few other embellishments and pointed Kleperis in the direction of Aminet.

Wow. And he was given no advice to not mention that Itec was doing the licensing and not Amiga Inc.? Somehow I would have advised him to avoid saying that and sending up yet another red flag.

cgutjahr 
Posted on 12-May-2011 20:08:32
#473 ]
Cult Member

@number6

Quote:

However, it's also a fact that they contacted Aminet, which is a s/w resource, in order to learn more about Amiga. That's a somewhat odd first contact if one is not interested in the operating system that runs said software. *shrug*

Just to make it perfectly clear: When Mr. Kleperis approached us, it was obvious that all he knows about Aminet is that it's about software, somehow. We didn't offer any further explanations and he didn't ask for any.

Me personal impression is that he was just trying to get a bit of a hype going, by contacting some alleged key people who had been pointed out to him and ask for their "very valuable input".

Sounds like Amiga Inc.'s original business plan ("included with the brand you'll get a free marketing squad - as long you pretend you care about them"), I wouldn't be surprised if whoever is handling the licensing now is using the very same idea to sell licences.

number6 
Posted on 12-May-2011 20:15:40
#474 ]
Elite Member

@cgutjahr

Quote:
Sounds like Amiga Inc.'s original business plan ("included with the brand you'll get a free marketing squad - as long you pretend you care about them")

I agree. The fact that no one in the community has reported further contact also supports that. If there was genuine interest and they felt it was worth pursuing, I think we would have seen it by now.

Wildstar128 
Posted on 12-May-2011 20:31:56
#475 ]

@vox

Have you heard of "Keeping up with the Joneses". Why uneducated non-techno geek would buy a 1 GHz single core computer when they can by a dual core (cores = processors in a single chip package = brains in the same skull) Ok... people are consumers and they consume for the bang for buck at the time they are shopping.

People don't want to tweak out the computer. They assume it is set up properly. It is like the automobiles. Sure, I can get a 4 banger to move a car fast and responsive with lighter weight (smaller code) body and frame and so on. Sure, we can do that but in end of the day, the average consumer is looking for best value within a budget range (how much they can afford).

You say x86 can only be another Windows.

Sorry... your wrong. There is Linux, MacOS X (running on x86 now), it can be Unix, Minix, AROS, etc. It can even be a Java based OS, an OS on Z-Machine, etc.

x86 is just a processor. Windows only has market because it has a brand recognition and an established brand name. Linux doesn't have a well established brand name bringing Linux to mainstream consumers. Commodore has a brand name that is of legendary status like Apple and Atari, IBM and Microsoft.

Linux got a repuation of being complicated and difficult to install for a typical computer illiterate computer user. That is the majority of people anyway. So is Mach. MacOS X is a re-badged Mach operating system (another Unix-like OS) but with a user friendly interface and easy installation. Commodore OS can be the same thing but with Linux kernal. Back it with Commodore's brand and it can get a market share.

Getting rid of Microsoft? ( Is this what you are assuming or wishing would happen? ) No. Even if somehow Windows is knocked off the market, Microsoft will still be around. They have smart people and they would then focus on their apps and games and have them on Commodore OS or MacOS or whatever the big contenders maybe.

In the end, it will be down to being able to use the data on your Commodore pc, Mac, and Windows pc. Portability of the information with ease. We don't want to go back into that situation in the 80s where you can't take the information you worked on on your home computer to work. This is part of how Microsoft got dominance with IBM, Compaq and others in the "clone wars". This shook out various platforms.

We need to be able to have a non-Windows OS that is useful in a world where data on one OS can be read and used on another OS. Data portability and to a certain degree code portability with ease.

So, it is important to think about these things in a business standpoint in 2011 computing world not 1981.

The writing was on the wall in 1991.

vox 
Posted on 12-May-2011 20:35:12
#476 ]
Elite Member

@number6

Quote:

number6 wrote:
@cgutjahr

Quote:
Sounds like Amiga Inc.'s original business plan ("included with the brand you'll get a free marketing squad - as long you pretend you care about them")

I agree. The fact that no one in the community has reported further contact also supports that. If there was genuine interest and they felt it was worth pursuing, I think we would have seen it by now.

Sounded good when crowd was big. However AmigaINc licencee, CommodoreUSA now has even better plan "just state on the web site you care about them, while spam and bash them in reality unless they are your support squad. Have spammers on YT Amiga videos, Amiga forums etc. while you will close all your channels for comments, proposals and critique".

That is Amiga Inc v2.0

vox 
Posted on 12-May-2011 20:41:40
#477 ]
Elite Member

@Wildstar128

MacOS X can run only on Apple machines, at least legaly. PPC version used to exist until recently, as well as apps. In fact, currently PPC apps are faster on PPC macs then PPC apps on emulation since Apple specs arent great.
Linux is equaly avail on PPC.

So, yes you are down to Windows (which was supposed to go PPC too)
and you intend to add it as extra price to keep the price look reasonable.

But how many American dummies will be happy with something that is not Windows since they can buy similar PC with Windows for same price?

Oh, yes, you are all about open source and alternative OSs I&I forgot dat.

You promise us cloacking device OS whose basic features remain a Lock Nes
myth, even its announced to be out in two months. It will be compatibile with everything Commodore and Amiga and Windows maybe on hardware level ("all Commodore machines are Windows compatibile") but we dont know how legaly,
whose emulator and files it will be using.

Plus the promise of case sold separately, with no set dates, as usual.
And no set dates for Amigas even they were announced first.

That is not way to do bussiness, take away my AmigaOS love.

Neither you are inventor, or a hero, or innovative - just corporate exploit.

And I&I can only hope people will see it through, or hype will be short lived,
and that you will die in endless see of x86 based products.

Not recommended to anyone.

wawa 
Posted on 12-May-2011 20:52:24
#478 ]
Elite Member

@vox
hey, why dont you drop your annoying "1&1" stuff (mistake intended). are you somehow sworn to that? the only effect it has, the regular reader (me) thinks you are taking yourself (and few other things) a little too serouusly..

Hondo 
Posted on 12-May-2011 21:12:08
#479 ]

@amigaheretic

All the FLUFF TALK and 60.0000's of units........I bet CUSA is Bill McEwen and "Barry" is his imaginary friend

Last edited by Hondo on 12-May-2011 at 09:14 PM.

Hondo 
Posted on 12-May-2011 21:13:04
#480 ]

@wawa

+1

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle