Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
25 crawler(s) on-line.
 110 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 retrofaza:  17 mins ago
 cdimauro:  22 mins ago
 agami:  1 hr 24 mins ago
 Hypex:  1 hr 30 mins ago
 Hammer:  1 hr 32 mins ago
 Seiya:  4 hrs 19 mins ago
 matthey:  4 hrs 41 mins ago
 Rob:  5 hrs 51 mins ago
 vox:  5 hrs 55 mins ago
 kolla:  6 hrs 49 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Free For All
      /  Nibiru, what if ? - part 2
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100 | 101 | 102 | 103 | 104 | 105 | 106 | 107 | 108 | 109 | 110 | 111 | 112 | 113 | 114 | 115 | 116 | 117 | 118 | 119 | 120 | 121 | 122 | 123 | 124 | 125 | 126 | 127 | 128 | 129 | 130 | 131 | 132 | 133 | 134 | 135 | 136 | 137 | 138 | 139 Next Page )
PosterThread
Lou 
Re: US shakes and awakes?
Posted on 4-Oct-2011 17:53:08
#721 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

http://arstechnica.com/science/news/2011/10/physics-nobel-goes-to-the-dark-side-of-the-universe.ars
Quote:
A constant repulsion could have been masked by gravitational attraction while the Universe was younger and more dense. Now that it's sufficiently diffuse, the repulsive force is able to dominate, initiating a new inflation.

Gee...I wonder what [real] force has a repulsive component?

Profile     Report this post  
T-J 
Posted on 4-Oct-2011 23:21:40
#722 ]
Cult Member

@Lou

My God, I see the light! Its all due to the Weak Nuclear Force!

Magnetism doesn't exist, its all the Weak Force! Its just called 'weak' because of a massive conspiracy to discredit it!

Heh, there's more truth to my little joke than at first appears the case. From a certain point of view (and at sufficient energy levels...), there really isn't any such thing as EM - it was unified with the Weak force in 1968, current theory describes a single 'electro-weak' interaction with the same equations describing both forces accurately.

Those equations, by the way, don't accurately predict any cosmic-scale activity, nor are they used to describe the motion of uncharged objects... Sorry!

Last edited by T-J on 04-Oct-2011 at 11:30 PM.
Last edited by T-J on 04-Oct-2011 at 11:28 PM.

Lou 
Posted on 5-Oct-2011 0:50:54
#723 ]
Elite Member

@T-J

Quote:

T-J wrote:
@Lou

My God, I see the light! Its all due to the Weak Nuclear Force!

Magnetism doesn't exist, its all the Weak Force! Its just called 'weak' because of a massive conspiracy to discredit it!

Or you could say there is no weak force, it's all magnetism...

Quote:
Heh, there's more truth to my little joke than at first appears the case. From a certain point of view (and at sufficient energy levels...), there really isn't any such thing as EM - it was unified with the Weak force in 1968, current theory describes a single 'electro-weak' interaction with the same equations describing both forces accurately.

Those equations, by the way, don't accurately predict any cosmic-scale activity, nor are they used to describe the motion of uncharged objects... Sorry!

Neutrons have a magnetic moment and they spin opposite of protons. That alone would cause them to attract in a manner that is now considered strong force. They may not have the formulas yet but that's my take on it...

T-J 
Posted on 5-Oct-2011 3:53:02
#724 ]
Cult Member

@Lou

Quote:
Or you could say there is no weak force, it's all magnetism...

Amazingly enough, I wasn't actually being serious. The EM and Weak Nuclear forces have been unified into a single electro-weak interaction at extremely high energy levels - this is not the same thing as saying that the weak force is the same as the magnetic force - its saying that at high energy levels they are described by the same equations.

Quote:
Neutrons have a magnetic moment and they spin opposite of protons. That alone would cause them to attract in a manner that is now considered strong force. They may not have the formulas yet but that's my take on it...

...No. Neutrons have a magnetic moment that is opposite to the anti-neutron. The proton has the opposite electric charge to the electron, not the neutron. Neutrons effectively have no net electric charge. Hence the name, really.

The attraction that holds neutrons together, indeed that sticks all quarks together into more familiar forms of matter, is the strong nuclear force. This is mediated by particles that we've detected in various different particle accellerator experiments, independently, called gluons. It is not in any way related to charge. Hence, it is not an electromagnetic force.

BrianK 
Posted on 5-Oct-2011 5:28:21
#725 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

Quote:

Lou wrote:
@BrianK

http://arstechnica.com/science/news/2011/10/physics-nobel-goes-to-the-dark-side-of-the-universe.ars
Quote:
A constant repulsion could have been masked by gravitational attraction while the Universe was younger and more dense. Now that it's sufficiently diffuse, the repulsive force is able to dominate, initiating a new inflation.

Gee...I wonder what [real] force has a repulsive component?

Notice the article said that constant repulsion 'could'. First, it's not certain it's a guess that people are working out. Also, note the masking was by GRAVITATIONAL attraction. Meaning there was more than 1 force at play. I think if you reread you will find this article itself does not demand your single force swag of the universe and can work with the fundamental forces as we've identified them.

Also, you need to explain your 'opposite spin' of neutron and proton more. Afterall, protons can spin in either direction. Supercolliders polarize the spin by exposing the protons to an external EM force to align the spins. Your statement reads as if all protons only spin in 1 direction, which would not true. Care to rephrase?

Nimrod 
Posted on 5-Oct-2011 8:23:17
#726 ]

@Lou

Quote:
Hmmm... Nice bit of quote mining, lets just look at he rest of the statement,
Quote:
Unfortunately, the best prospect for a constant source of energy, quantum vacuum fluctuations, doesn't provide enough of it—in fact, it's higher by a factor of 10^120
Does the term "orders of magnitude" ring any bells?

Sticking to the original statement "A constant repulsion could have been masked", you can see that I have highlighted the source of your difficulty.
Speculation does not equal Proof, or to put it another way

It's a Duck!

Lou 
Posted on 5-Oct-2011 12:32:15
#727 ]
Elite Member

@Nimrod

Quote:

Nimrod wrote:
@Lou

Quote:
Hmmm... Nice bit of quote mining, lets just look at he rest of the statement,
Quote:
Unfortunately, the best prospect for a constant source of energy, quantum vacuum fluctuations, doesn't provide enough of it—in fact, it's higher by a factor of 10^120
Does the term "orders of magnitude" ring any bells?

Sticking to the original statement "A constant repulsion could have been masked", you can see that I have highlighted the source of your difficulty.
Speculation does not equal Proof, or to put it another way

It's a Duck!

I like how the article basically doesn't have a clue and you then pretend it does only to attempt to tell me I don't have a clue. I told you from the beginning gravity is wrong. It has a 70%-99% margin for error based on this article. So they say gravity + X = right and that X is something they have yet to actually detect called dark energy and dark matter forgetting that they still haven't directly detected gravity.

Gravity's a duck alright, an ugly duckling...

T-J 
Posted on 5-Oct-2011 13:54:31
#728 ]
Cult Member

@Lou

Quote:
I like how the article basically doesn't have a clue and you then pretend it does only to attempt to tell me I don't have a clue.

You don't have a clue about particle physics. You didn't know the difference between a proton and an antineutron.

Quote:
I told you from the beginning gravity is wrong. It has a 70%-99% margin for error based on this article. So they say gravity + X = right and that X is something they have yet to actually detect called dark energy and dark matter forgetting that they still haven't directly detected gravity.

Again, making a claim over and over again doesn't make it true. Proving it mathematically goes some way towards achieving that. If gravity is so wrong, you should be able to present a mathematic proof of that 'fact', solving the whole problem in one fell swoop.

Quote:

Didn't the ugly duckling turn out to be a beautiful swan? Good analogy, then.

Nimrod 
Posted on 5-Oct-2011 19:35:53
#729 ]

@Lou
Quote:
I like how the article basically doesn't have a clue
The article admits that we do not have all of the answers, but that is a totally different situation than "not having a clue". To refer back to BrianK's comic book story, there are still some pieces missing, but we can still see that it is not a duck.
Another thing that nobody knows is the true value of π. It can be expessed at 1000 places, 10000 places, or even one million places, without reaching the exact value. That does not mean that nobody has a clue. (Except of course for Lou who knows it is 42)

Quote:
I told you from the beginning gravity is wrong.
Indeed you did, you also told us that Sitchin knew how to read ancient texts, that a selection of dodgy pictures proved that Nibiru was coming, that the comet Elenin was going to cause major worldwide disasters in September 2011, and that the Pyramids were built by aliens using blocks that were heavier than the finished product.

Since we are now back to the line that "Gravity does not exist, it's all EM" I assume that you have found some actual equations to prove your point, or were you hoping once again to be able to duck the issue.

Lou 
Posted on 5-Oct-2011 20:28:36
#730 ]
Elite Member

@T-J

Quote:

T-J wrote:
@Lou

Proving it mathematically goes some way towards achieving that. If gravity is so wrong, you should be able to present a mathematic proof of that 'fact', solving the whole problem in one fell swoop.

Gravity(general relativity) has already been proven wrong by observing the distant stars. It's already been modified once (Newtonian)... Rather than continuing to fix what was a bad design from the beginning, they should spend money on a new approach and quit while they are behind.

Quote:

Quote:

Didn't the ugly duckling turn out to be a beautiful swan? Good analogy, then.

This ugly duckling is getting shot by hunters.

Lou 
Posted on 5-Oct-2011 20:34:44
#731 ]
Elite Member

@Nimrod

Quote:

Nimrod wrote:
@Lou

Since we are now back to the line that "Gravity does not exist, it's all EM" I assume that you have found some actual equations to prove your point, or were you hoping once again to be able to duck the issue.

If there were actual equations, do you think they'd still be wasting their time hacking on dark matter and dark energy onto general relativity?

I say the system is flawed, start developing a new one. You say "what they spoon-fed me is good enough."

Nimrod 
Posted on 5-Oct-2011 23:19:51
#732 ]

@Lou

Quote:
Rather than continuing to fix what was a bad design from the beginning, they should spend money on a new approach and quit while they are behind.
Quote:
I say the system is flawed, start developing a new one.

So where do you think they should start from. Your ridiculous "It's all EM" fantasy?
Basically what you are saying is the equivalent of "Internal combustion engines are not as good as they could be, Unreliable and inefficient designs should be consigned to the scrapheap until we can get 1000mpg at 1000mph". And in the meantime, I suppose the lack of such cars is all part of a conspiracy by the oil companies.

T-J 
Posted on 6-Oct-2011 0:10:00
#733 ]
Cult Member

@Lou

Quote:
Gravity(general relativity) has already been proven wrong by observing the distant stars. It's already been modified once (Newtonian)... Rather than continuing to fix what was a bad design from the beginning, they should spend money on a new approach and quit while they are behind.

Scientists are constantly working on new theories of the universe. A quantum theory of gravity is one avenue being explored. Superstring theory is another. M-theory a third.

I honestly don't know where you get this false caricature of science as a dogmatic preaching of Einstein's theory from, because billions go into trying to knock it over each and every year. Note how the recent results from CERN that appear to show faster-than-light neutrinos have been put to the wider scientific community for confirmation, rather than hushed up as you would have us believe is routine.

You want to use electromagnetic theory, despite the fact that it fails completely as a unified field theory. Newton provides useful approximations, Einstein provides more accuracy. You provide gut instinct, which is about as much use in science or engineering as a random number generator.

Quote:
This ugly duckling is getting shot by hunters.

More violent metaphors. Interesting.

But that's not how science deals with old theories. Instead, it takes them off to one side and puts them in the Old Theories Retirement Home and visits them regularly.

Lou 
Posted on 6-Oct-2011 13:57:54
#734 ]
Elite Member

@Nimrod

Quote:

Nimrod wrote:
@Lou

Quote:
Rather than continuing to fix what was a bad design from the beginning, they should spend money on a new approach and quit while they are behind.
Quote:
I say the system is flawed, start developing a new one.

So where do you think they should start from. Your ridiculous "It's all EM" fantasy?
Basically what you are saying is the equivalent of "Internal combustion engines are not as good as they could be, Unreliable and inefficient designs should be consigned to the scrapheap until we can get 1000mpg at 1000mph". And in the meantime, I suppose the lack of such cars is all part of a conspiracy by the oil companies.

No. A better analogy is that instead of driving a car with perfectly round wheels, they are hexagon shaped and the faster/farther you go the bumpier the ride. It's time to re-invent the wheel in this case.

BrianK 
Posted on 7-Oct-2011 2:29:13
#735 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

Quote:
No. A better analogy is that instead of driving a car with perfectly round wheels, they are hexagon shaped and the faster/farther you go the bumpier the ride. It's time to re-invent the wheel in this case.
A great analogy! As the scientists study they learn more and make a nonagon shape. The bumps still exist so with more research they move to a dodecagon. A bit less bumpy and soon the centagon proves even better. Eventually with infinitimatessamal mathematics they get to an infinite sided object and the sphere exists and the bumpy ride is gone.

BrianK 
Posted on 8-Oct-2011 13:43:37
#736 ]
Elite Member

If you haven't seen this You Tube Channel watch it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6o2bUPdxV0

It's called Minute Physics. It describes this sort of stuff in straight forward terms. This video is good it talks about the latest Nobel prizes in physics. Oh and it does note that perhaps it's all just wrong and, unlike Lou's claims, we're working on that idea too.

Lou 
Posted on 8-Oct-2011 17:52:00
#737 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

See, now this makes more sense:
http://arstechnica.com/science/news/2011/10/astronomers-take-first-ever-image-of-turbulent-gas-between-the-stars.ars

Picture this stuff everywhere instead of 'dark matter' and look it carries EM, imagine that...

Quote:
A better picture of the ISM is important because it will help us better understand the overall motion of galaxies and formation of stars, which occurs in the (relatively) dense regions.

Lou 
Posted on 8-Oct-2011 17:56:59
#738 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

Quote:

BrianK wrote:
If you haven't seen this You Tube Channel watch it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6o2bUPdxV0

It's called Minute Physics. It describes this sort of stuff in straight forward terms. This video is good it talks about the latest Nobel prizes in physics. Oh and it does note that perhaps it's all just wrong and, unlike Lou's claims, we're working on that idea too.

That video was completely useless. However it does expose the error that is 'gravity is the main force in the universe'.

T-J 
Posted on 8-Oct-2011 22:36:25
#739 ]
Cult Member

@Lou

Quote:
Picture this stuff everywhere instead of 'dark matter' and look it carries EM, imagine that...

OK, but then how do you explain the results from the charged particle colliders? Of coruse, you don't. You think protons are held together with superglue.

But whatever, there's something else interesting here: Somebody's saying stuff you agree with, and lo! The big black cars haven't taken him away!

Perhaps your conspiracy theories aren't quite entirely correct?

BrianK 
Posted on 9-Oct-2011 0:36:36
#740 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

Quote:
That video was completely useless.
Wow. Well, you can give a man an explaination but you certainly can't make him think.

Quote:
However it does expose the error that is 'gravity is the main force in the universe'.
It does note that perhaps it's all wrong. Which I think you'll find the more scientific bent people here do agree with. They have asked you repeatively for evidence. Unfortunately what we get from you is conjectures that you're right and all of science is wrong. You never seem to understand what evidence means.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100 | 101 | 102 | 103 | 104 | 105 | 106 | 107 | 108 | 109 | 110 | 111 | 112 | 113 | 114 | 115 | 116 | 117 | 118 | 119 | 120 | 121 | 122 | 123 | 124 | 125 | 126 | 127 | 128 | 129 | 130 | 131 | 132 | 133 | 134 | 135 | 136 | 137 | 138 | 139 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle