Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
15 crawler(s) on-line.
 132 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Hammer

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Hammer:  1 min ago
 amigakit:  31 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  34 mins ago
 pixie:  42 mins ago
 kolla:  45 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 4 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 8 mins ago
 corb0:  1 hr 34 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 35 mins ago
 RobertB:  3 hrs 8 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  Very succinct CUSA question thoughts
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread
ice2642 
Re: Very succinct CUSA question thoughts
Posted on 27-Jun-2011 8:02:57
#121 ]

@resle
Quote:
Trolling: no. Sounding silly or uninformed: possibly.

From what I see the main/only argument againist CUSA is "That's not a C64! That's not an amiga! They have nothing to do with the Amiga architecture/OS etc."
Well, of course. Who could ever think so?
Do you REALLY think that there's people that's going to buy - say - a C64X thinking/expecting it's a new version of the commodore 64?

To me the whole rigmarole going on here sounds like the National Rifle Association bashing Toys'R'Us because they don't put a giant sticker on their plastic toy weapons saying "THIS IS NOT A TRUE WEAPON! YOU CAN'T KILL ANYONE WITH THIS!"

End of line.

I think this C64x and Amiga x are just a PC with linux using the Amiga memories to sell their machines.

not the soul of amiga at all.

for me now we have the classic commodore amiga, one PC with name amiga made by commodore and the PPC new amiga machines with sam, pegasos and amigaOne , etc...

I can say, I will be very happy if a-cube can make some board to fit in to the C64x case. Or commodore can make the Amiga 3000 case to sell to use wiyh the sam460ex. it will be very cool.

sorry for my terrible english.

BR

Profile     Report this post  
vox 
Posted on 27-Jun-2011 8:12:34
#122 ]
Elite Member

@sundown

Quote:

sundown wrote:
@eXec

Funny thing about a war, the other guy always starts it.

But we know c=usa & its supporters started this one...

Glad people know about that

I&I hold interest in this: you say I&I and few other Amigans
"trow sticks and bones" at CUSA, while this should be a
outsiders criticism towards they behaviours (its all based on their
gloomy and agressive PR)

What they gonna do? Promise us something?

vox 
Posted on 27-Jun-2011 8:23:28
#123 ]
Elite Member

@Darrin

Quote:

Darrin wrote:
No, the main problem is C-USA have behaved like dicks, continue to behave like dicks and will continue to behave like dicks. They lie, insult and threaten at will.

Nobody cares that they're selling a PC product. Honestly, good luck to them because they're going to need it. It is their ethics (or lack of) that causes the issues.

It is that simple.

True all above. Sometimes I&I wonder and ask how they were selling furniture ... by repainting other ones work and using mobsters to push it?

No ethical and social responsibility in bussines - > deserve no sales.

Run dem out! Advice people neva to spear money on such hoax.

If AROS branded PeeCee AresOne and iMica instead everytime!

vox 
Posted on 27-Jun-2011 8:47:44
#124 ]
Elite Member

@Seblam

Quote:

Seblam wrote:
@TheDaddy

quote: "Please spare me your developing thoughts, ain't interested."

Oh yes, I will develop my thoughts. I don't consider myself to be in any camp, I run OS4 on an A1, MOS on Peg and trying sometimes AROS on my PC. And I think these new C64 from CUSA are nice. Here for the background.

Now, the problem with you, but it works as well for Exec from CUSA camp (with its stupid PPC anti totalitarism avatar) is that you are too emotive and just transform a simple hobby into something very extremist. We are in the peaceful world of computers but the thinking behind this behaviour is very close to extremism that are making the breaking news in the real world. Honestly, to go so far for a computer is really frightening.

The real Commodore Amiga is dead, just simple as that. AmigaOS from Hyperion, an OS made in Belgium by 2 people from a game porting company, has it any link with original Amiga team? No, just the name and a source code as a basis.
The same apply to MOS and AROS and they don't even have the name.
But I respect all these hard workers. And the same for CUSA, because what they are doing with Linux is what Apple did with BSD and is what the real Commodore would have done if it has survived (maybe not Linux but for sure a Unix thing like QNX).

Now, you are telling idiots people that buy because of the name. It's very subjective and anyway we are always an idiot for someone else. I think the new C64, even if it's a PC from a company that has no links to original Commodore, could be a stylish object as could be an Imac on my desk and I don't consider myself an idiot for that. I don't consider myself an idiot because I will probably buy an overpriced and not so powerful hardware when the X1000 is out. You know, it's like for girls, we are always looking idiots when we are in love of something.

Amiga was a computer with tons of users, apps, talented artists and developpers, it was not only an OS or a hardware. Sometimes, I feel that playing AlienBreed on my PS3 (with some Amiga team blood inside cf RJ Mical) is more Amigaish than using a so called AmigaOS4 where you don't have any of the modern 3D or web technologies.

Without the way too personal part against Daddy,
very clear state of things.

In such world, would everytime support hardworking Belgian and Italian boys,
just because great work they have been doing running small companies
for years so far. And they deserve sucess in many ways.
Argument against it mostly is not performance of hardware and software, rather the price. But even in expensive PPC world of small quantities, its less cheapest
PPC accel + RAM+ GFX for Classic was (main reason why I&I was without it)
and is way ahead. Since Commodore demise, that is alo a big quantum leap.

Software is developed, hardware availiable, all other AmigaOS incarnations (MorphOS and AROS, AmigaForever, Minimig, Natami, AresOne, iMica) are well progressing. In many years I&I don`t recall it was better.

CUSA has brought many insane practices and some bussines advance of 21st century (rebrand, repackage, resell, Commodore 3R) first time to be seen in Amiga Universe, but don`t forget, in strategic aliance with infamous Amiga Inc (decreasing their influcence on AmigaOS development is also a fine news). In my humble opinion, they have even speeded up things with all other Amiga projects, and eventually their customers (victims) will discover existance of more and better. By the time CommodoOS 2.x hits the streets, there will be at least one more development cycle even in these small Amiga camps.

In the end, sad AmigaOS 4 wasn`t at least partialy based on MorphOS. So many years of development of AROS and MOS clearly are in some aspects "at least one cycle away from AOS 4.x".

Isn`t that bad at all.

Thanks.

TheDaddy 
Posted on 27-Jun-2011 9:02:09
#125 ]
Elite Member

@Thom_Holwerda

>>Strange perception of what "business" is, you have.
I run my own business. Two, in fact. I have never once threatened someone with legak action because of legitimate criticism. I have never once stole other people's works and claimed it as my own. I have never made false statements about photohraphs and the like. I have never started a smear campaign against anyone, making websites about that person, and discriminating against the homosexual community. You are of course free to like and buy whatever the heck you want, but don't claim any of the above is just business - for normal, non-crazy people, it's just called being a dick.

As they say...+1

vox 
Posted on 27-Jun-2011 9:22:32
#126 ]
Elite Member

@TheDaddy

+1

Love to read this small statement at Acube website,
which approves some additional money for their production and R&D.

http://www.acube-systems.biz/index.php?page=company
Our commitments
At ACube Systems we are doing our best to ensure our products are built following high quality standards and fair social criterias. For this reason we are committed to keep the whole development process in Italy.
We are proud to work with our European partners and deliver worldwide.

Against inpure practices in name of money.

Money ah dem God
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yXBWxpaEHM&

jkirk 
Posted on 27-Jun-2011 12:04:57
#127 ]
Elite Member

@Thom_Holwerda

Quote:
I have never once threatened someone with legak action because of legitimate criticism

seems your non-threatening nature is in the minority
just the two major os manufacturers.

microsoft

Quote:
In the 1980s, the company was notorious for keeping Nixonian lists regarding journalists on a whiteboard showing which were "Okay," "Sketchy," or "Needs work." Some believed that those in the last category would be the target of the company in an effort to get them fired. I myself was on a Microsoft blacklist for some totally unknown reason and was not allowed any information about an early version of Windows, apparently because I was considered uncooperative. I only found out about this because of documents unearthed during the discovery process of the Comes v. Microsoft lawsuit in Iowa. [...] threats from the company did manage to get me removed as a licensed columnist in PC Magazine Italy. — John C. Dvorak[56]
[I was] blacklisted by Microsoft for writing a story based on an internal memo penned by Mark Lucovsky (now with Google, ironically) that acknowledged 63,000 bugs were still left in Windows 2000 when the product [was] shipped. I was barred from executive interviews at the Windows 2000 launch as a result of my story. My "punishment" lasted for a few years. Certain Windows execs refused to speak to me or meet with me for ages because of that story. I believed, and still believe, that I was just doing my job as a reporter. — Mary Jo Foley[57

apple

Quote:
Apple Inc. has received criticism for the use of sweatshop labor, environmental destruction, and unethical business practices. Additionally, it has been criticized[1][2] for its litigious legal policy of suing before first gathering all the facts necessary to pursue a legitimate lawsuit.

i support that you should be allowed to say such things about commodore usa. i also believe that you were not being fair shooting them down before they had a chance to do anything. also the reply to their apology does not make you look any better either. "look the idiots apologized, i am gonna thumb my nose at them again." not really a quote just a summation of your article. if you want to be treated fairly then maybe you should consider treating them fairly.

heck at least commodore usa don't have this over it's head

dell

look i am not saying commodore usa is perfect or even good. however this stomp on them every time their name is mentioned philosophy has to stop. if you don't like them then fine, if you do that is fine too. but don't expect them to be perfect when other companies have their problems too.

Last edited by jkirk on 27-Jun-2011 at 12:08 PM.

Win•dows: n. A thirty-two bit extension and graphical shell to a sixteen-bit patch to an eight-bit operating system originally coded for a four-bit microprocessor which was written by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.

djrikki 
Posted on 27-Jun-2011 12:16:27
#128 ]
Elite Member

I have a message for Vox.

djrikki 
Posted on 27-Jun-2011 12:23:58
#129 ]
Elite Member

@vox

I've heard many Bob Marley songs over the years, I've seen Cool Runnings...

If Rastafarians are so well known for their 'love and peace, flower-power nature' how come you come on here and preach so much?

Surely a Rastafarian would stfu, take it with a pinch of salt, go outside, have a toke and enjoy the hot Serb-Carribean sunshine 'mon.

Last edited by djrikki on 27-Jun-2011 at 12:26 PM.

Thom_Holwerda 
Posted on 27-Jun-2011 12:35:49
#130 ]

@jkirk

Quote:
i also believe that you were not being fair shooting them down before they had a chance to do anything.

By that time, they had already stolen countless images and trademarks from other people without permission, their website was the shoddiest of shoddy affairs, and they had been promising products - rebadged standard machines - for months without actually shipping anything. My reservations were completely and utterly justified - and Altman's copy/pasted legal threat (which didn't even make any sense in the first place since I) I'm not American and II) OSNews is not based in the state of Georgia, the statute he was quoting).

Can you blame me for being sceptical before, and even more so, after the threat? Have you ever had such a legal threat thrown your way just for voicing a well-founded opinion? If not, then please do not try to downplay this. I'm just some random guy from The Netherlands with little understanding of US law, and this threat GENUINELY scared the crap out of me the first time I read it (of course, the OSNews team and readers quickly pointed out just how idiotic it was, but still - the scare was very real).

Quote:
also the reply to their apology does not make you look any better either. "look the idiots apologized, i am gonna thumb my nose at them again." not really a quote just a summation of your article.

A completely wrong and misguided summary. That's not even remotely what was said in the article. Their apology for the silly legal threat was nice, but you have no understanding about how it came to be (in a very childish manner - I kept this under wraps). However, just retracting that legal threat did not magically make any of the other things less true.

Quote:
if you want to be treated fairly then maybe you should consider treating them fairly.

Come back to me when you've had a public smear campaign started against you by some whackjob who only recently legally threatened you. Making a website claiming I'm gay, only to then slur against the entire gay community? Why on earth are you defending someone who does such a thing? What if someone treated your son or daughter or loved on - or yourself - like that?

I think that of all the people posting on this board, I know BEST what kind of a weirdo this Barry Altman really is - and I'm not talking out of my ass either, all this stuff is properly documented and there for all to see.

eliyahu 
Posted on 27-Jun-2011 12:51:33
#131 ]

@Thom_Holwerda

barry has commented on you again. i believe he's being sarcastic in this post on your sarcasm. he really needs to let this one go....

-- eliyahu

Thom_Holwerda 
Posted on 27-Jun-2011 12:57:02
#132 ]

@eliyahu

Quote:

barry has commented on you again. i believe he's being sarcastic in this post on your sarcasm. he really needs to let this one go....

That made my day. Maybe someone could post the full comment - I'm not registering over there, obviously.

Okay, I'ma get some coffee over this. Which is a great honour, since coffee is to me what the bible is to christian folk .

eliyahu 
Posted on 27-Jun-2011 15:47:23
#133 ]

@Thom_Holwerda

Quote:
That made my day. Maybe someone could post the full comment - I'm not registering over there, obviously.

Okay, I'ma get some coffee over this. Which is a great honour, since coffee is to me what the bible is to christian folk .

interestingly our good friend dammy has locked the thread in question, deleting all of the replies that had been made to barry's comment thus far. i have no doubt it was done because it was brought to the attention of AWN readers.

-- eliyahu

Thom_Holwerda 
Posted on 27-Jun-2011 15:54:56
#134 ]

@eliyahu

Quote:
interestingly our good friend dammy has locked the thread in question, deleting all of the replies that had been made to barry's comment thus far. i have no doubt it was done because it was brought to the attention of AWN readers.

I just saw it, yeah. They are free to delete whatever they want from their little 'forum'-site. I wasn't expecting something even remotely resembling an honest and open debate with that whackjob anyway - he is not particularly capable of coherent, mature thinking.

It's pretty clear what he wants, though: he is trying to trick me into writing about all this fringe nonsense on OSNews (free marketing). Sorry Barry, ain't gonna happen.

Last edited by Thom_Holwerda on 27-Jun-2011 at 03:56 PM.

number6 
Posted on 27-Jun-2011 16:04:57
#135 ]
Elite Member

@Thom_Holwerda

Perhaps that was the point of asking about the world views of Rich Lawrence of AmigaRoundTable before even thinking about making an appearance on ART.
Rich has since stated he won't be covering any news from that quarter.

But, as jkirk posted above, this is considered somewhat normal for business.

Thom_Holwerda 
Posted on 27-Jun-2011 16:09:24
#136 ]

@number6

I don't follow this scene that closely. What is ART? Who is that guy?

number6 
Posted on 27-Jun-2011 16:19:44
#137 ]
Elite Member

@Thom_Holwerda

Quote:
I don't follow this scene that closely. What is ART? Who is that guy?

Rich and his crew have been doing Amiga community podcasts for years.

http://www.amigaz.org

He's expanded his horizons recently into other areas.

The show archives

Last edited by number6 on 27-Jun-2011 at 04:27 PM.

persia 
Posted on 27-Jun-2011 16:57:05
#138 ]

@number6

C=USA were good for a laugh for a while but it's getting a bit old. They are trying to enter a crowded market that isn't growing. They'll have to deal with the "other" Commodore reputation, cheap cr@p that is unreliable.

I actually had someone at the Uni ask me about C=USA the other day, told then forget about it and get a real computer. They bought an Acer laptop instead....

number6 
Posted on 27-Jun-2011 17:01:59
#139 ]
Elite Member

@persia

Quote:
I actually had someone at the Uni ask me about C=USA the other day,

The result of the dramatic press coverage.
It was noticed places you would not guess actually.

jkirk 
Posted on 27-Jun-2011 18:38:17
#140 ]
Elite Member

@Thom_Holwerda

Quote:
By that time, they had already stolen countless images and trademarks from other people without permission, their website was the shoddiest of shoddy affairs, and they had been promising products - rebadged standard machines - for months without actually shipping anything.

stolen is a harsh word. iirc a person outside the company created the site. yet the company got the heat for it. just because it was on another site does not mean "stolen" we do not know of any deals to allow usage. besides even if true, the word theft, stolen, fraud does not apply to this offence infringement is more appropriate. but since infringement does not sound as harsh, the others are used instead to cause a stronger feeling of wrongdoing. as a result these words are used ad-nauseum.

Quote:
My reservations were completely and utterly justified - and Altman's copy/pasted legal threat (which didn't even make any sense in the first place since I) I'm not American and II) OSNews is not based in the state of Georgia, the statute he was quoting).

i never said that the conclusion was not valid. what i did say was it was unfair to publish your conclusion before giving a chance to prove themselves a valid company. i have no problem with you posting the announcement nor the negatives associated with the company. however when you took a news piece and added a commentary insinuating they are a scam company, this is the point where it made the article turn into being unfair. as a journalist you have to balance your belief with the facts at hand. yes your belief will affect the way you write but the article should not become your opinion. otherwise it is not news only a fluff piece.

Quote:
Can you blame me for being sceptical before, and even more so, after the threat? Have you ever had such a legal threat thrown your way just for voicing a well-founded opinion? If not, then please do not try to downplay this. I'm just some random guy from The Netherlands with little understanding of US law, and this threat GENUINELY scared the crap out of me the first time I read it (of course, the OSNews team and readers quickly pointed out just how idiotic it was, but still - the scare was very real).

i don't blame you either way and did not intend to downplay anything. however using one incident as a weapon against a company that took offence at your opinion that was presented as news is not good on your part either. from their perspective they were probably scared that the bad publicity before they got to market would kill their business. thereby them losing any money invested. yes they overreacted to the issue and also went about it the wrong way. however would you see something published like that and not respond?

Quote:
A completely wrong and misguided summary. That's not even remotely what was said in the article. Their apology for the silly legal threat was nice, but you have no understanding about how it came to be (in a very childish manner - I kept this under wraps). However, just retracting that legal threat did not magically make any of the other things less true.

however it read just as i said tho you might have not intended it. although there might have been things doing on behind the scenes as a journalist you sometimes have to speak the facts and not let your feelings get involved. i know this is hard but this has to happen to stay objective.

Quote:
Come back to me when you've had a public smear campaign started against you by some whackjob who only recently legally threatened you. Making a website claiming I'm gay, only to then slur against the entire gay community? Why on earth are you defending someone who does such a thing? What if someone treated your son or daughter or loved on - or yourself - like that?

if there was history between you and them prior to the article you should have recused yourself from writing the article. if it was a result of the article there are ways of making them look bad without looking petty in the process. you present the facts without letting your anger seep into the wording. if that is not possible then let a friend or co-worker who is non-biased beta your article and suggest alternatives to your wording. it takes two to argue if you decide you won't argue and he continues you win by default. all continuing the argument does is make both of you look bad.

Quote:
I think that of all the people posting on this board, I know BEST what kind of a weirdo this Barry Altman really is - and I'm not talking out of my ass either, all this stuff is properly documented and there for all to see.

never said he wasn't. never said you don't know. i personally don't know him and really don't want to. however it is hard for me to blast him over an issue when the whole book of his mistakes are beat over my head every time someone types commodore usa.

in other words there is criticism and there is beating a dead horse. i believe we are way past beating a dead horse.

oh btw just for the record i never once defended him. i have offered alternatives tho. i only want this petty squabbling gone.

Last edited by jkirk on 27-Jun-2011 at 06:40 PM.

Win•dows: n. A thirty-two bit extension and graphical shell to a sixteen-bit patch to an eight-bit operating system originally coded for a four-bit microprocessor which was written by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle