Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
22 crawler(s) on-line.
 86 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Allanon:  11 mins ago
 Birbo:  29 mins ago
 Hypex:  30 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 3 mins ago
 amigakit:  2 hrs 31 mins ago
 Hammer:  2 hrs 39 mins ago
 kolla:  2 hrs 54 mins ago
 kriz:  3 hrs 3 mins ago
 clint:  3 hrs 4 mins ago
 zipper:  4 hrs 32 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Software
      /  request for update: aladdin v6.0 and project metropolis
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
PosterThread
freeaks 
Re: request for update: aladdin v6.0 and project metropolis
Posted on 24-Jul-2011 11:19:08
#101 ]

personaly i think kas1e is right..
discreetfx never produced nothing but hot air.
i'd put him in the same bag as ack, amiga inc, panda, troika, iwin, merlancia, ... etc ...
a bag labeled: "only empty promises and talks..
surely he would have something to show by now if this aladin6 story was true.

Last edited by freeaks on 24-Jul-2011 at 11:21 AM.

Profile     Report this post  
Rose 
Posted on 24-Jul-2011 12:24:21
#102 ]
Cult Member

In 2007 the code was "Highly portable" and after that we have heard how hard it is to do. I'll start to take em with face value when they show some professionalism or finish their Amiga Inc buyout with cash from film (which is in same state than OS4 port of aladdin)

DiscreetFX 
Posted on 24-Jul-2011 14:14:22
#103 ]
Elite Member

@Rose

In 2007 we were told the code was highly portable. We learned that Amiga Inc. is not worth anything so why would we or anyone else buy it? There is nothing to buy of value, what would you get SnowMan Maker?

eliyahu 
Posted on 24-Jul-2011 14:21:20
#104 ]

@DiscreetFX

Quote:
In 2007 we were told the code was highly portable. We learned that Amiga Inc. is not worth anything so why would we or anyone else buy it? There is nothing to buy of value, what would you get SnowMan Maker?

well there are the amiga-related trademarks, for starters. they certainly aren't worth the millions his billness would ask, but there is at least the potential for licensing, as seen by recent events.

i don't know if any of the IP was still 'owned' by amiga, inc., at that point. i'm sure others here can clarify; i also don't know if they actually owned the source to OS3.1 or not. if they did that might have some value, at least insofar as follow-on platforms were concerned.

in the end, though, it's probably just as well your bid was unsuccessful. think of the curse!

-- eliyahu

Last edited by eliyahu on 24-Jul-2011 at 02:34 PM.
Last edited by eliyahu on 24-Jul-2011 at 02:22 PM.

klx300r 
Posted on 27-Jul-2011 0:41:26
#105 ]
Elite Member

@DiscreetFX

PM sent

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

Leo 
Posted on 27-Jul-2011 8:02:53
#106 ]

Quote:

You "were told" and simply believed it, without hiring some expert to analyze the code and confirm what they were saying ? It's not like portability was at the head of your plans...

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 27-Jul-2011 9:59:49
#107 ]
Elite Member

@cheesegrate

Quote:

cheesegrate wrote:
wow one of the few people that is actually spending money on amiga development and all worthless people who are doing nothing to support the amiga platform can whine and moan.l.

you people make me sick!

Nice comment, I agree for once

Cool_amigaN 
Posted on 27-Jul-2011 10:55:49
#108 ]

@ChrisH

Amiga.org is a different subject imho. It is mostly 68k oriented and certain people there deliberately bash OS4. It's the same people that can be found in Moo. However, in AWN we have a more NG geared forum with "moaners" (and not trolls) being the actual users of the system. IMHO, if a certain degree of people "whine" or "moan", then there a sign that something goes wrong and shouldn't be ignored or mute by heavy moderation. That was my general comment. As for DiscreetFX, Aladdin 6.0 for OS4.x is as much in progress as OS5 by Amiga Inc. And that speaks volumes.

@DiscreetFX

First there is no need to threaten that you will stop Amiga development because, apparently there isn't one. So, we are not gonna lose anything. Although you might have good intentions and thoughts (such as "Metropolis" as an Amiga online Apps store), the fact is that there isn't an actual coder/programmer that works for any Amiga project that you have, because in all these years you haven't shown any history of delivering products.

@broadblues

Didn't knew that Blender had OGL interface. Perhaps that's the reason it crashes so easily.

@djrikki

Give us a break. We have sticked to the platform for an eternity and spent countless euros on it. The group of whiners are us, the users. Blind fanboyism will lead you to nowhere. If something is going bad, don't shoot the messengers.

Last edited by Cool_amigaN on 27-Jul-2011 at 11:01 AM.
Last edited by Cool_amigaN on 27-Jul-2011 at 10:57 AM.

wawa 
Posted on 27-Jul-2011 11:07:23
#109 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

sometimes i suspect, that if someone would carve "amiga" on some bench in a park and posted about it here, in the news section, many would hail him and the others would beware to criticize him, since he could feel offended and quit.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 27-Jul-2011 16:12:20
#110 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

DiscreetFX has put lots of money in to bounty projects.

He open sourced the VT software (OpenVideoToaster), any one that knows a few lines of Assembler are free to do something but no one has done anything, that’s not DiscreetFX fault.

About Aladdin v6.0, the screenshot is showing progress on MacOSX, it think it logical that they spend the most time getting it working and to sate so Aladdin can be sold in large numbers, before they invest in this tiny hobby market called AmigaOS and clones where they maybe sell 10 to 100 copies .

I’m sorry but the AmigaOS market does not make economically sense, yes AmigaOS has emotional value and some great features but the market is too small, AmigaOS marked is irrelevant

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 27-Jul-2011 at 04:14 PM.

broadblues 
Posted on 27-Jul-2011 16:18:38
#111 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@Cool_amigaN

Quote:

@broadblues

Didn't knew that Blender had OGL interface. Perhaps that's the reason it crashes so easily.

How many bug reports did you send the maintainer?

It's pretty stable here and I can't fix bugs I don't know about. Anyway that's of topic for tis threads, please PM me or start a new one whereI can help you

wawa 
Posted on 27-Jul-2011 17:45:12
#112 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

i dont doubt discreets addiction to amiga and his good will alltogether, but im sorry, good will is not enough. or rather he seems either unlucky or is plain making wrong decissions. lets look at examples:

1. open video taster: cool to have it open sourced but without any impact due to either no interest of community or no skilled people left (too difficult, too big, too complicated project). i think it was foreseeable.

2. amizilla, there was a major investment from his side, am i right? we do know how it ended and why, dont we?

3. trying to acquire rights from amiga inc, for me just hearsay, also no luck.

4. acquisition of aorg, maybe for sentiment reasons or plain trying to support community, but not a good deal for himself i suppose. i wonder what would happen if he didnt do that.

5. aladdin3d, the neverending story. im sorry but im afraid it will not have a big impact in a 3d market on major platforms. the techniques have moved too far in the meantime, there is no chance to catch up, even realsoft has not, newtek struggling..

so far the list of accomplishments doesnt look very well. any positive examples?

(as i say im not blaming him for nothing, am just not applauding for nothing too)

Last edited by wawa on 27-Jul-2011 at 05:49 PM.

tommywright 
Posted on 27-Jul-2011 18:16:06
#113 ]

It's a cool idea to have commercial 3d software for the Amiga.. but it's a really dangerous time to push an unknown 3d package. Blender has gotten incredibly user friendly with 2.5 and even Autodesk is having massive price drops on software (probably to counter students moving to Blender).

I tried to Google animation done in Aladdin and couldn't really find anything. The best thing for them to do is make something with the software.. something that demonstrates what it can do. This is what Blender Foundation does with their short films and it really promotes interest in the software.

I guess what I'm thinking here is, why are you anxious for a package that is inferior to the one you already have (Blender)?

eliyahu 
Posted on 27-Jul-2011 19:01:12
#114 ]

@tommywright

Quote:
I tried to Google animation done in Aladdin and couldn't really find anything. The best thing for them to do is make something with the software.. something that demonstrates what it can do. This is what Blender Foundation does with their short films and it really promotes interest in the software.

I guess what I'm thinking here is, why are you anxious for a package that is inferior to the one you already have (Blender)?

this is a good question to ask. i can answer for myself, although i'm sure others have their views. in my case the idea of continued development of aladdin 4D is appreciated for the following reasons:

1. it's much more intuitive than blender
2. i can automate things in REXX, rather than python
3. it's much more 'beginner oriented' than blender

don't get me wrong, blender is amazing, and the work andy, et al, have done to bring it to our platform is massively appreciated. i don't imagine many people already used to 3D imaging would be interested in aladdin per se, but for me, an easier-to-use, intuitive package is worth a little pocket change.

-- eliyahu

andres 
Posted on 27-Jul-2011 20:54:07
#115 ]

An idea could be bundling Aladdin 4D 6 with the AmigaOne X1000.

Amiga was famous for 3D software in the past; it would be a nice thing, especially id Aladdin is quite an easy software to learn.

Home Recording Audio

vox 
Posted on 27-Jul-2011 21:06:41
#116 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Well, to I&I DiscreetFX is a contributing org.

VideoToaster is open sourced, and it would be good to see it for OS4 (as well
as new Alladin).

First time hear of aquision of Amiga.org !? but if it`s a way to preserve community website (or any other Amiga domain) it`s extra point.

Amzilla bounty went to Timberwolf? If it did money will go to well deserved hands.

They have also contributed to Viva Amiga.

AmigaInc so far licenced names mostly to non Amiga related products, it would be nice if they would lower the bar and let at least more products bear the name (AROS, MorphOS, Natami ...) would have the name for some extra small fee, same for software. Maybe this could found next level AmigaDE or Snowmaker

It`s not best, but at least is something.

Don`t forget that Photogenics, ImageFX, Alladin can be purchased via them too.

vox 
Posted on 27-Jul-2011 21:08:57
#117 ]
Elite Member

@andres

... as well as it could be offered with discount to SAM users.
Similar policy would be nice. Not the game magic pack,
but some productivity.

Alladin could also be optimized for OS 4.2 (and X1000) features (once we learn about them, and that has to come) and that people could have something to show with X1000.

Rose 
Posted on 22-Aug-2011 18:04:13
#118 ]
Cult Member

@DiscreetFX

Quote:

DiscreetFX wrote:
@eliyahu

We will check with DiscreetFX Labs for an A4D6.x update for you.

It's been over month so any news from the basement... Err... Labs?

Rose 
Posted on 1-Sep-2011 0:57:03
#119 ]
Cult Member

@Rose

Quote:

Rose wrote:
@DiscreetFX

Quote:

DiscreetFX wrote:
@NutsAboutAmiga

You question is irrelevant. DiscreetFX.com is run on a Linux server and admined from a Mac OS X system. No way it could even get a Windows virus infection.

Hint. Upgrade your Apache from 1.3 -> 2.2 so you can get security patches made this decade and wont get owned by injection bugs.

Someone at amiga.org noticed that DiscreetFX site is once again injected so approach with caution...

http://www.discreetfx.com/favicon.ico size: 10644 JS/Kryptik.BN Trojan
http://www.discreetfx.com/favicon.ico size: 6455 JS/Kryptik.BN Trojan

And still running EOL serverside software. WAKE UP!

klx300r 
Posted on 1-Sep-2011 1:16:43
#120 ]
Elite Member

@DiscreetFX

please answer my many pm's to you

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle