Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
30 crawler(s) on-line.
 100 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

amigang

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigang:  2 mins ago
 pixie:  12 mins ago
 amigagr:  15 mins ago
 OlafS25:  23 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  58 mins ago
 matthey:  59 mins ago
 ktadd:  1 hr 27 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 36 mins ago
 kriz:  1 hr 48 mins ago
 Rob:  2 hrs 2 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Software
      /  request for update: aladdin v6.0 and project metropolis
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
PosterThread
DiscreetFX 
Re: request for update: aladdin v6.0 and project metropolis
Posted on 22-Jul-2011 22:55:05
#61 ]
Elite Member

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=58568

Profile     Report this post  
DiscreetFX 
Posted on 22-Jul-2011 23:03:46
#62 ]
Elite Member

@kas1e

The Mac OS X version must be complete before the other versions including OS 4.x. Do you really want us to ignore a market that can bring in great resources for Aladdin 4D and create revenue for the Amiga versions development? You do know that Mac OS X sells a lot more than AmigaOS 4.x right? We love Amiga and wish it was not true but it is the harsh reality. Being Amiga only is what hurt Aladdin 4D from progressing forward in the past before DiscreetFX owned it.

This solution is better then ignoring the Amiga market like what happened with LightWave 3D, Cinema 4D and trueSpace. Keep insulting us and beating on us if you like.

It may just make us reconsider even developing for Amiga type systems. If that is the goal you have then soon maybe you can say mission accomplished. We had hoped that others shared the dream we had of a modern Aladdin 4D for Amiga type systems. But the very low sales of the current version might mean maybe we should not bother.

eliyahu 
Posted on 22-Jul-2011 23:41:50
#63 ]

@DiscreetFX

Quote:
The Mac OS X version must be complete before the other versions including OS 4.x. Do you really want us to ignore a market that can bring in great resources for Aladdin 4D and create revenue for the Amiga versions development?

this suggests what i feared is, in fact, the reality: that the reason why no non-OSX screenshots of aladdin 4D 6.0 exist is because no non-OSX builds exist. in your statement above you seem to suggest that the release and commercial success of aladdin 4D for OSX is a prerequisite to fund even the start of development of an updated version for any of the amiga platforms.

could you please clarify?

of course as a going concern with a link to the amiga community i wish you success in whatever business you undertake. but please do take the time to be upfront and forthright with us regarding your development plans. i'm afraid that with this last post -- especially the implied threat that criticism of the like from @kas1e will result in your exit from the amiga development community -- is only going to fuel the negativity you currently see.

damn and blast. this isn't what i had hoped to see at all.

-- eliyahu

Last edited by eliyahu on 22-Jul-2011 at 11:42 PM.

wawa 
Posted on 22-Jul-2011 23:57:03
#64 ]
Elite Member

@DiscreetFX

why should you expect high sales on current, or should i say "old" 68k aladdin version? everybody who ever really required it, have bought it years ago, and even then it wasnt the first choice software. you must have known this when you aquired it, and you sure realize that everybody who bought it from you did it for the sole reason to support you and your undertaking. there is no chance to sustain commercial product on amiga. there is practically no such products anymore, and if there are, they are frequently not being bought be used, but to support the developers. thats what i did numerous times.

so dont blame the community for not buying into it. iirc you have sold the old version with a clause that if there was no follow up product at some point the customers would get a refund. i believe the deadline is long gone. the community doesnt owe you nothing here, on the contrary.

now, good luck to port aladdin to macintosh. im sure this is most reasonable thing you can do with it. but also i suspect that you will have to write almost everything from the scratch and also the potential sales of a completely unknown or forgotten package are not very promissing even there.

all in all i seriously doubt any new version of aladdin will ever be released for any amiga flavour. well, feel free to blame this on us.

DiscreetFX 
Posted on 23-Jul-2011 0:00:52
#65 ]
Elite Member

@eliyahu

Sorry if you misunderstood. The code for Aladdin 4D has been rewritten to make it very portable between platforms. The release of the OS X version will allow for the rapid release of both Amiga OS 4.x and MorphOS versions. Sales of the Mac version do not impact the release timing of the other versions. Rapid sales will help finance new features and customer requests beyond version 6.0 though. Continued bashing and negative comments from kas1e and others do make us pause and reconsider Amiga developments though.

Last edited by DiscreetFX on 23-Jul-2011 at 12:02 AM.
Last edited by DiscreetFX on 23-Jul-2011 at 12:02 AM.

eliyahu 
Posted on 23-Jul-2011 0:01:50
#66 ]

@thread

based on a post just made over at amiga.org, i think we can assume aladdin 4D v6.0 is OSX-only for the immediate future:

Quote:
We need help beta testing Aladdin 4D 6.0 first on Mac OS X, then other operating systems including Amiga OS 4.x, MorphOS and AROS

barring any rebuttal from @DiscreetFX, are we at last confronted with the scenario that there is no active development of aladdin 4D v6.0 for any of the amiga platforms? did anyone ever receive a refund after purchasing v5.0 during the 'we'll give you a free upgrade to v6.0' offer in 2009?

@DiscreetFX

please immediately clarify the situation. i think it is painfully obvious with the true status of aladdin 4D for amiga systems are, but you might as well spell it out for us. i can tell you i'm rather disappointed with all the guesswork needed to figure out what is going on. like reading the proverbial tea leaves.

if your intention with these announcements of an 'updated' manual and request for OSX beta testers was supposed to 'silence the critics,' i think you've accomplished the opposite.

-- eliyahu

DiscreetFX 
Posted on 23-Jul-2011 0:03:52
#67 ]
Elite Member

@eliyahu

It is a shared codebase so active development is for all platforms. Yes refunds were given to those that asked for them. Soon beta testers can give you an update on Amiga platforms not just us.

Last edited by DiscreetFX on 23-Jul-2011 at 12:05 AM.

eliyahu 
Posted on 23-Jul-2011 0:05:20
#68 ]

@DiscreetFX

Quote:
Sorry if you misunderstood. The code for Aladdin 4D has been rewritten to make it very portable between platforms. The release of the OS X version will allow for the rpid release of both Amiga OS 4.x and MorphOS versions. Sales of the Mac version do not impact the release timing of the other versions. Rapid sales will help finance new features and customer requests beyond version 6.0 though. Continued bashing and negative comments from kas1e and others do make us pause and reconsider Amiga developments though.

sorry if i misunderstood? no, i don't think so. years of 'aladdin 4D v6.0 is coming!' have apparently resulted in a codebase which is 'highly portable,' in other words, not done. at all.

please understand i was asking as a potential customer, not a troll. this whole thing isn't especially helpful. heck, the wikipedia page says there is a version coming for the ipad and linux systems as well. i mean, am i missing something? does there exist any recent build of aladdin 4D v6.0 for any of the amiga software platforms?

-- eliyahu

eliyahu 
Posted on 23-Jul-2011 0:07:48
#69 ]

@DiscreetFX

Quote:
It is a shared codebase so active development is for all platforms. Yes refunds were given to those that asked for them. Soon beta testers can give you an update on Amiga platforms not just us.

ah. ok. we're getting closer. could you please state, for the record, that you, @DiscreetFX, being of sound mind and body, do hereby swear that there exists, in active development, versions of aladdin 4D v6.0 for AOS4, MOS, and/or AROS? and if so, can you also clarify why only OSX testers are currently needed?

thanks. don't misunderstand, but it's like trying to get a yes or no answer out of bill clinton.

-- eliyahu

DiscreetFX 
Posted on 23-Jul-2011 0:10:26
#70 ]
Elite Member

@eliyahu

Testers need to have at least three of the operating systems that Aladdin 4D 6.0 supports to be accepted.

eliyahu 
Posted on 23-Jul-2011 0:12:00
#71 ]

@DiscreetFX

Quote:
Testers need to have at least three of the operating systems that Aladdin 4D 6.0 supports to be accepted.

understood. but that still doesn't directly answer my query:

Quote:
could you please state, for the record, that you, @DiscreetFX, being of sound mind and body, do hereby swear that there exists, in active development, versions of aladdin 4D v6.0 for AOS4, MOS, and/or AROS?

-- eliyahu

DiscreetFX 
Posted on 23-Jul-2011 0:16:53
#72 ]
Elite Member

@eliyahu

Yes they exist.

eliyahu 
Posted on 23-Jul-2011 0:44:26
#73 ]

@DiscreetFX

Quote:
Yes they exist.

thank you.

is it possible to generate at least one screenshot, please?

-- eliyahu

freeaks 
Posted on 23-Jul-2011 0:58:33
#74 ]

i bet gurumeditation's os4 port of magellan will be released first before DiscreetFX could deliver..

wawa 
Posted on 23-Jul-2011 1:34:48
#75 ]
Elite Member

ok. i think the situation should be clear for everybody now.
@discreetfx: once again, even if im sceptical about it, good luck with your project.

Leo 
Posted on 23-Jul-2011 11:16:38
#76 ]

Quote:

The Mac OS X version must be complete before the other versions including OS 4.x. Do you really want us to ignore a market that can bring in great resources for Aladdin 4D and create revenue for the Amiga versions development?

There's nothing wrong with that. What's wrong though is giving the impression Amiga's version is in the works at the same time,... and asking for people to prepay for it even though it's not even working yet...

So, if it's beeing worked on, as you seem to imply:

- how many people are actively (ie: paid each day) working on any *Amiga* (OS4/AROS/MOS) version ?
- can we see a pic/video of a working Aladdin 6.x *Amiga* (OS4/AROS/MOS) version running ?

cheesegrate 
Posted on 23-Jul-2011 11:42:04
#77 ]

wow one of the few people that is actually spending money on amiga development and all worthless people who are doing nothing to support the amiga platform can whine and moan.l.

you people make me sick!

"Look behind you, a three-headed monkey!" - Monkey Island

phoenixkonsole 
Posted on 23-Jul-2011 12:19:44
#78 ]

Ohhh boys...
relax. First i agree that it is the best way to go first the OS X/Winsucks route. Than backporting it to AmigaOS (as hobby and as gift - it can't be anything more) Guys.. Amiga-market is dead. Working on such a product for let's say 20 persons is... hmmm... sh*t.

So if i would be the person who paid a lot for the sources... i would exactly do the same.
Better sell it 5000-10000 times for 30$ in the app-store than only 20 times for 99$ to the Amiga market.

Take the money you get from the OS X zombies to subsidize our Hobby = good move and big thanks from me.

But for gods sake take the Amiga 68k Source edit the About text to "6.0" and make them happy : )

Well and if someone is really interested in helping... try to beta test it. Or offer you help with coding.

phoenixkonsole 
Posted on 23-Jul-2011 12:24:06
#79 ]

One advise:
I suggest to port it first to the AROS-part of the family.. I am sure you can get much help and you are welcome with open arms.

AP 
Posted on 23-Jul-2011 12:51:37
#80 ]
Cult Member

@phoenixkonsole: The only problem is, that there are already great 3D-programs for MacOSX and Windows, even the cheaper ones are very powerful. I hope, that Aladdin is able to compete with them.

The "MacOSX-zombies" already have this one for example (its powerful and cheap):

http://www.cheetah3d.com/

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle