Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
8 crawler(s) on-line.
 105 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

RobertB,  number6

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 number6:  4 mins ago
 RobertB:  4 mins ago
 matthey:  11 mins ago
 Karlos:  40 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 5 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 8 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  1 hr 37 mins ago
 OlafS25:  2 hrs 11 mins ago
 pixie:  2 hrs 23 mins ago
 outlawal2:  3 hrs 29 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  OS 4.1 Update 3 Released
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
PosterThread
Swoop 
Re: OS 4.1 Update 3 Released___Not OK Now
Posted on 2-Sep-2011 15:42:27
#261 ]
Elite Member

@MickJT

Quote:
Edit: I'm not sure how I set up the screens prior to Update 3. I have IBrowse as a screen in SYS:Prefs/Screens, then perhaps I was able to choose to use that screen in the IBrowse MUI prefs, without having to create a screen for it outside of the prefs/Screens utility. It does ring a bell that I was able to choose from the Workbench Screens list before, but not now. I don't want to reinstall Update 1 to check.

I just copied the folowoing over from my previous install:-
Screens: Prefs/Env-Archive/screens/
Prefs/Env-Archive/Sys/screens.prefs

This has worked on each update.

"There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't."

Profile     Report this post  
Swoop 
Posted on 2-Sep-2011 16:58:53
#262 ]
Elite Member

@OldFart

Quote:
The files in that directory cannot by default be configured for your personal setup: they are bound to be different per computer. Especially the files 'SYS:Devs/Internet/hosts', 'SYS:Devs/Internet/name-resolution' and 'SYS:Devs/Internet/routes' have to be setup for your specific situation. To be changed only when you are changing ISP or changing router/modem.

So I'm a bit confused when you say that the are the same as before.

I am on the same computer, and I am not changing ISP or changing router/modem.
As part of the update3 install I set up the internet connection, which seemed to work fine.
After a hard reset, no internet.
Comparing Devs/Internet on my upd3 and upd2 partitions, the files there (default ones?) have the same size and creation date.

"There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't."

Swoop 
Posted on 2-Sep-2011 17:12:49
#263 ]
Elite Member

@salass00

Quote:
Instead of making sure that DEVS:Internet contets are the same, shouldn't he be checking DEVS:NetInterfaces (IIRC, don't have an OS4 setup here ATM to check if the path is correct, posting from a PC laptop) where the actual connection settings are stored (ethernet device driver and unit, whether to use dhcp, etc.)?

They were also the same size file (eth3com), except that the update2 one had a default tool of OS4.1upd1:Internet/Dialer, whereas the one on update2 pointed at OS4.1upd3:Internet/Dialer.
Now partition OS4.1upd1 does not exist anymore, so I deleted DEVS:NetInterfaces/ETH3COM (actually moved to parent) and ran Prefs/internet and no defaults came up, and as I am not sure what settings are required, I closed it down.
I re-instated the ETH3COM file, and ran Prefs/Internet again, accepted the defaults, and I am connected to the internet again, even after a hard reset.
Comparing the DEVS:NetInterfaces/ETH3COM files on update 2 and 3, the update 3 created file is 169 bytes, and the update2 file is 154 bytes, previously they were the same size.
I do not know why the network setup installer routines did not save/update the ETH3COM at the time but running Prefs/Internet manually seems to have solved the problem for me.

Xenic 
Posted on 2-Sep-2011 17:50:14
#264 ]

@MickJT
Quote:
I'm confused with the new MUI. Programs I set up previously, will open up on the screen I configured for them, even though they're not listed in "Screens" in the MUI prefs now.

Yes, I was confused too. I have all my Internet apps running on a screen created by SYS:Prefs/Screens, including IBrowse. IBrowse opens on that screen but it doesn't show up in the MUI screens settings. I booted from my Update2 partition and noticed that the radio button options have been removed from new MUI screen settings. The old MUI screen prefs shows these radio button options:
o - default public screen
o - frontmost public screen
o - foreign public screen named: (string gadget for name)
o - customized public screen from MUI screen database

With the new MUI screen prefs I created a custom MUI screen with the same name as my current Internet screen that my other Internet apps use. I'm not sure how I managed to save the new setting (use,save - text,use,save ???) but now IBrowse opens on the Internet screen created by SYS:Prefs/Screens if it is open and creates an MUI screen if a screen by that name is not already opened. Previously, IBrowse would open on the SYS:Prefs/Screens screen if it was open and open on WorkBench if that screen wasn't already open.

The old MUI screen prefs were self explanatory while the new one left me confused.

ChrisH 
Posted on 2-Sep-2011 19:11:58
#265 ]
Elite Member

@all
I have installed Update 3 without any (new) problems on my Sam440. Rather surprised to read the problems some people have had.

rob_d 
Posted on 2-Sep-2011 20:39:51
#266 ]

Just installed update 3 on my xe at the moment all seems fine

marko 
Re: OS 4.1 Update 3 Released
Posted on 3-Sep-2011 1:33:48
#267 ]
From: Gothenburg, THE front side of Sweden ;), (via Finland), EU

My crashes with Cube and Lugaru are SOLVED, got both games working just fine!!

See more here:
http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=309

Last edited by marko on 04-Sep-2011 at 12:06 AM.
Last edited by marko on 03-Sep-2011 at 01:35 AM.

m4rko.com/AMIGA

Spectre660 
Posted on 3-Sep-2011 2:08:25
#268 ]
Elite Member

@

I have had some problems since I installed Update 3 . not the fault of update 3 though .
even a clean install of updates 1 and 2 now show the same problems .

It appears to be a problem with my video card .
Thought that it was a hard drive issue and spent the last 3 nights and 4 days changing hard drives and testing. (4 different drives) .
With higher screen res and gui effects on I have lockups on file copies and icon double clicks.
so anyone with unexplained lockups and or resets check your graphics card .
I am restoring my system using an 800x600 8bit screen mode .
anything much higher res seems to cause the lockups very quickly.
will look to replace the video card.

Plexus 
Posted on 3-Sep-2011 3:38:01
#269 ]

@marko

no crash here with laguru

AmigaOne X5000, AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition Update 2 special super 2 cores prepared super edition v75 christmas speciale uniqe quadro prepared AmigaOS... TWO MORE YEARS IS NOTHING IF YOU BEEN WAITING SINCE 1994..

thinkchip 
Posted on 3-Sep-2011 14:16:58
#270 ]

What difference are we going to notice between update 2 and update 3? I installed the update without incident. One thing I noticed after quickly trying it once is that gdb, the debugger, seems to be working. With update 2 it immediately crashed.That's a definite plus for me. I was having to go back to update 1 (or zero?) to work. On that subject, the terrain generator for M.A.B.L. is coming along nicely. Added a period. Added another one. Erased a period. Did nothing. What's wrong with the time?

Last edited by thinkchip on 03-Sep-2011 at 03:15 PM.
Last edited by thinkchip on 03-Sep-2011 at 03:14 PM.
Last edited by thinkchip on 03-Sep-2011 at 03:13 PM.
Last edited by thinkchip on 03-Sep-2011 at 03:12 PM.
Last edited by thinkchip on 03-Sep-2011 at 03:10 PM.

djrikki 
Posted on 3-Sep-2011 14:37:36
#271 ]
Elite Member

I have noticed that the Find application has changed slightly in layout, Add Path, All and None buttons have been appeared.

Last edited by djrikki on 03-Sep-2011 at 02:38 PM.

Hypex 
Posted on 3-Sep-2011 16:58:03
#272 ]
Elite Member

@MickJT

Quote:
Open up an app, say IBrowse. Go into the MUI prefs for IBrowse, go to "Screens", the IBrowse screen is not listed there but was prior to Update 3.

This happened to me also. In my case some custom modes I set up in my monitor tooltypes were rejected by the new driver system and so pushed my screenmodes way out of whack. All my MUI apps are cluttering my Workbench because MUI can't find the screenmides any more! Argh!!

Xenic 
Posted on 3-Sep-2011 17:34:47
#273 ]

@BillE
Quote:
then copy the old envarc:MUI/publicscreens.iff file to your new envarc:MUI directory.

The new MUI seems to use the screens.txt file instead of publicscreens.iff. I'm not sure if it was done by the Installer or if MUI prefs did it the first time I opened it, but my screens were copied from the publicscreens.iff file to the screens.txt file. Yesterday I moved publicscreens.iff to a temporary storage directory and everything is still working the same.

Xenic 
Posted on 3-Sep-2011 17:49:31
#274 ]

@Deniil715
Quote:
MIssing those crucial protection bits..?

If those protection bits are so crucial why aren't they set correctly and constistantly in the OS 4.1 updates? If you extract the Update3 lha file (using Unarc) you will see that all the documentation files have the executable bit set, the logo PNG file has the executable bit set, the text.datatype has executable bit set but the other datatype files do not, the table.image has the executable bit set but the other images do not, some of the libraries have the executable bit set and others do not, etc. etc. Why is it so important to preserve the protection bits if they aren't even set consistantly (or correctly) in the update??

Nibunnoichi 
Posted on 3-Sep-2011 18:04:38
#275 ]
Cult Member

@ChrisH

Quote:

ChrisH wrote:
@all
I have installed Update 3 without any (new) problems on my Sam440. Rather surprised to read the problems some people have had.

Me too, no problem whatsoever... it even kept all the samba connections to my NAS'...

Karlos 
Posted on 3-Sep-2011 19:35:11
#276 ]
Elite Member
From: As-sassin-aaate! As-sassin-aaate! Ooh! We forgot the ammunition!

Installed on my A1XE today. Took literally less than a minute and went without a hitch, if you exclude the time it took to make a backup of my system install first. You can never be too careful.

zerohero 
Posted on 3-Sep-2011 19:36:43
#277 ]
Team Member

@Karlos

Quote:
Installed on my A1XE today. Took literally less than a minute and went without a hitch, if you exclude the time it took to make a backup of my system install first. You can never be too careful.

I forgot to make a backup this time, just realised as I was installing. Luckily everything worked out this time as well.

nbache 
Posted on 3-Sep-2011 21:58:39
#278 ]

@Xenic

Quote:
Xenic wrote:
If those protection bits are so crucial why aren't they set correctly and constistantly in the OS 4.1 updates?
The important thing about protection bits (in this context) is that executable files need the executable bit set, or they won't execute. The other examples you mention are of course errors, but they don't prevent anything from running, so nobody has noticed them enough to get around to reporting them.

It would of course be nice to get those correct also, so if you could report your findings on the Hyperion support forum, listing whatever examples you have found so far, I'm sure someone will make a Bugzilla entry for it.

Best regards,

Niels

Hypex 
Posted on 4-Sep-2011 6:48:54
#279 ]
Elite Member

@Xenic

Quote:
If those protection bits are so crucial why aren't they set correctly and constistantly in the OS 4.1 updates?

They are set correctly. But they are put into an archive. And so must be extracted along with the file within. By default some files have RWED bits so an executable bit on an image file is usually harmless. But scripts need the S bit.

In the worse case is when it's UnZipped on Windows and put on a CD. Next to that would be UnZipping to a flash drive.

I haven't seen it yet but I am waiting for someone to complain that it won't install from their flash drive they unpacked from Windows and how it should work because their WinUAE Workbench sits in a directory on the PC and that has no problem with protection bits.

Also I think Hyperion should warn users on the download page and not on a readme inside the archive.

Last edited by Hypex on 04-Sep-2011 at 06:50 AM.

royleith 
Re: OS 4.1 Update 3 Released___All Right, Now!
Posted on 4-Sep-2011 8:33:58
#280 ]
Cult Member

@royleith

Quote:
Well, it was fine yesterday, but today it stops at an empty AmigaDOS screen with some words about it being OS4.1 Update 3 from Hyperion.

After all the anquish, it was back to its bad old ways. The answer was some sort of problem with my 4-port Keyboard/Video/Mouse switcher. This thing seems to work with other machines on Windows and Linux, but not on my A1XE.

I had thought that it might be a video card problem working with the KVM, but it turns out to be the mouse and keyboard support. I can boot reliably by leaving the KVM plugged in during the UBOOT phase to make sure the USB port is powered up, disconnecting it during the Kickstart and Workbench boot and then connecting it afterwards.

However, this is too much of a drag and so I am going to plug it into my Amiga USB Hub, instead. That way, UBOOT detects the hub and powers up the port and all I have to do, then, is plug it in when Workbench is fully loaded.

I notice that Workbench complains if it is plugged in during the Workbench boot so a little patience might avoid unforseen problems.

Regards
Roy Leith

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle