Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
16 crawler(s) on-line.
 130 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Gunnar:  5 mins ago
 zipper:  11 mins ago
 Templario:  17 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  31 mins ago
 RobertB:  36 mins ago
 GPTNederlands:  52 mins ago
 janelancy:  53 mins ago
 -Sam-:  1 hr 2 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 44 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 45 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Alt Amiga OS
      /  MorphOS 2.8 cancelled
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 )
PosterThread
vox 
Re: MorphOS 2.8 cancelled
Posted on 21-Sep-2011 18:13:34
#101 ]
Elite Member

@itix

Quote:
ACube wont be making new batches of SAM440 anymore. They are only concentrating on SAM460 and AmigaOne 500. Those 500 SAM440 boards wont translate to 500 potential users. MorphOS hardware is so cheap they would be using MorphOS already if they really wanted to.

Never seen the public info, altough its understandable.

However, 440 can still be ordered and repaired, as long as stocks are avail, so it`s not dead (yet).

Well, Mac Minis are just base of the computer, and can be limited in gfx card (64mb) even CPU is strong. It is another computer you know, and already having 2 makes quite a jungle.

Same rule of potential users is for PPC Macs. Even MOS users have to buy them, not all PPC Mac users would buy MOS.

Like it is said: best would be if A-EON or ACube would fund the port, but they are not so rich and haven`t dealth in such way with e.g. Yellow Dog Linux which would bring Firefox and OpenOffice instantly out of the box.

Time will tell, but its not good to drop / negate options that easily

Profile     Report this post  
recedent 
Posted on 21-Sep-2011 18:35:47
#102 ]

@AP, @redrumloa, @itix:

Quote:
Genesi paid for the port AFAIR.
AFAIR Genesi bankrolled that port.
Genesi funded Efika port.

And...? How many users registered their copies of MorphOS for Efika? I roughly estimate this number to 100. Genesi might pay... 20K $ (wild guess, I don't know how much did they pay). That plus a co... I mean plus 100 copies of MorphOS 2.x gives about... 32K $? Now, how much would we get if 300 SAM users (i believe 500 is overoptimistic) registered MorphOS? My my... 36K $! Even if ACube doesn't want to pay for the port (probably noone would buy a SAM for MorphOS alone) it's still quite profitable comparing to Efika port. Unfortunately we'd need to count in the time and resources needed for that port to exist (but I believe if ACube shared with their documentation that wouldn't be as difficult as port to Macs).

@itix:

Quote:
MorphOS hardware is so cheap they would be using MorphOS already if they really wanted to.

You have a very good point here.

@eder:

Quote:
That is interesting.. Say i have the Efika, 2 Macmini, Emac, pmac, Peg 1 Peg 2
1 Macmini that broke down. I have then bought 7 reg could one then devide the 1200 by 7
like 170 reg users?

Could be, could be... But you must consider that there are at least 60 registered MorphOS 2.x users in Poland alone. That would mean they're 35% of all MorphOS 2.x users and I could hardly believe in that. Besides, you can easily check here that MorphOS users rarely have more than two computers (that may change with release 3.0 though).
Besides, If your Mini dies, you get your license for free. Buying another one in such case is plain stu... waste of money I mean.

Kronos 
Posted on 21-Sep-2011 18:47:22
#103 ]
Elite Member

@recedent

Well I did buy 5 licences over the time, but I recently sold two with the HW they belong too.

Those 2 guys don't show up as new users in the statistics even if they bothered to have the keys reissued with their name.

g_kraszewski 
Posted on 21-Sep-2011 18:51:40
#104 ]

@recedent

Estimates made out of thin air and wild guessing have leaded you nowhere. Are you sure that number of ACube computers you cite is a number of their products sold with AmigaOS 4? They suggested a few times, they have "industrial customers", I doubt these customers used AmigaOS. Your other numbers like the sum paid by Genesi or number of Samantha owners willing to run MorphOS on their machines, are also taken from your unrestrained imagination...

Spectre660 
Posted on 21-Sep-2011 18:53:45
#105 ]
Elite Member

@recedent

There is a demand if there is good software available .

http://os4depot.net/index.php?function=showfile&file=network/browser/muiowb.lha

Last edited by Spectre660 on 21-Sep-2011 at 06:56 PM.

recedent 
Posted on 21-Sep-2011 19:22:12
#106 ]

@g_kraszewski

Quote:
Estimates made out of thin air and wild guessing have leaded you nowhere.

Well... What can we do when we don't know teh real numbers? C'mon, guess with me! :)

Quote:
Are you sure that number of ACube computers you cite is a number of their products sold with AmigaOS 4?

I thought about that too. No, we can't be sure of that.

DAX 
Posted on 21-Sep-2011 19:24:16
#107 ]
Elite Member

Quote:
MorphOS hardware is so cheap they would be using MorphOS already if they really wanted to.

You have a very good point here.

I wouldn't know about that...

I don't know if I represent the average Sam user but I can say that one thing is to watch and hear (out of which I wouldn't go buy used apple HW) another would be to "use", that might have a completely different outcome...

itix 
Posted on 21-Sep-2011 19:50:40
#108 ]
Elite Member

@vox

Quote:

Well, Mac Minis are just base of the computer, and can be limited in gfx card (64mb) even CPU is strong. It is another computer you know, and already having 2 makes quite a jungle.

64 MB is already quite much and MorphOS 3 will help with VMEM usage on Mac platform.

Quote:

Same rule of potential users is for PPC Macs. Even MOS users have to buy them, not all PPC Mac users would buy MOS.

Even MOS users have to buy them and they are reasonably well available. Apple sold more than 500,000 G4 Mac Minis with 1.5GHz/64MB VMEM and probably few million 1.42GHz models. Had ACube sold 500 or 5000 SAMs, it is nothing compared to Mac platform.

@recedent

Quote:

Now, how much would we get if 300 SAM users (i believe 500 is overoptimistic) registered MorphOS? My my... 36K $!

It is way too optimistic. But anyway the focus is on laptops which are way more important and they are way more appealing. In fact so appealing that I am considering to sell my Mac mini when I get my own PB.

Zylesea 
Posted on 21-Sep-2011 20:46:23
#109 ]
Elite Member

@recedent

I think from the recent statements it is pretty clear that a port to Acube's line of computers is currently not onschedule. Once the Powerbook port s finished a decision where to go from there has to be made.

The story is easy: If you are remotely interested in MorphOS, a 2nd hand Mac is the best way to get into that kind of business. Those folks with a Sam may wish that it wouldn't require another computer, but the hurdle isn't exactly high.
Some Powermacs & eMacs are dirt cheap, Mac mini & Powerbook are really small (and not exactly expensive, too).
Powerbooks are rather attractive IMHO, with a new battery they are still on par with entry mobile computers of today (netbooks), okay a tad bigger, but still pretty useful.

And for the decision which device will be supported after Powerbook support has been introduced I'd rather opt for G5 than for the Sam. Nevertheless I kind of symphathize with Acube and wouldn't rule them out per se. But it is nothing to be decided now. Current focus is clear: Improve what's already there and finish Powerbok support.

vox 
Posted on 21-Sep-2011 22:23:29
#110 ]
Elite Member

@Zylesea

Thank you for the clear information

Looking forward to see reviews of MOS 3 on laptop

Yes, understandable that Macs and Acube can`t compete since Macs were being sold for Mac OS X and produced in large numbers. Certainly, we can only wish AmigaOS 4 has been fully ported to Mac Minis: but decision was made not only because of the court case, but likely because it would temporarily or permanently lower the SAM sales and maybe stop the SAM 460 development. Acube did best they could, including AmigaOne branding. Situation is as it is, but slowely, some more respect and direction of mutual interaction of MOS, AROS and AmigaOS 4 is visible and possible. At least in PPC version it would be good to see its further unification, cross porting, mutual components etc.

Until that day, its good to see all 3 progressing.

m0lebrain 
Posted on 22-Sep-2011 3:32:41
#111 ]

@amigadave

boo. i want more registrations :)

cheesegrate 
Posted on 22-Sep-2011 5:44:04
#112 ]

@Spectre660

Quote:
There is a demand if there is good software available . http://os4depot.net/index.php?function=showfile&file=network/browser/muiowb.lha

Made Only Possible by Morphos. Hah All your bases belong to us

Last edited by cheesegrate on 22-Sep-2011 at 05:44 AM.

"Look behind you, a three-headed monkey!" - Monkey Island

Spectre660 
Posted on 22-Sep-2011 10:54:02
#113 ]
Elite Member

@cheesegrate

This was exactly my point.

With apps as good as this OWB version on MorphOS
there are alot of people who would be interested in also running MorphOS on their current Amiga OS 4.x system as every good app is not going to be ported.

Quote:
Made Only Possible by Morphos. Hah All your bases belong to us

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle