Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
16 crawler(s) on-line.
 115 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  1 hr 3 mins ago
 Hammer:  1 hr 53 mins ago
 Rob:  2 hrs 31 mins ago
 billt:  2 hrs 39 mins ago
 amigang:  2 hrs 49 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  2 hrs 52 mins ago
 agami:  3 hrs 15 mins ago
 matthey:  3 hrs 22 mins ago
 kolla:  3 hrs 29 mins ago
 Tuxedo:  4 hrs 38 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Alt Amiga OS
      /  Why does there seem to be more OS4 users than MorphOS users?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
PosterThread
ChrisH 
Re: Why does there seem to be more OS4 users than MorphOS users?
Posted on 28-Oct-2011 19:05:29
#121 ]
Elite Member

@eliyahu Quote:
1. OS4 is gorgeous. this is subjective, of course. many prefer the 'look and feel' of MOS, but i really love the window decorations, icon set, widgets, etc. of OS4. i don't particularly care for the appearance of MOS in any of its guises.

That is my feeling. Of course it is entirely subjective, and I can see that the MorphOS team put a lot of effort into their looks as well.

Quote:
2. workbench uses a spatial metaphor. and i love how different it is to KDE, GNOME, OSX, windows, etc. i love the vocabulary: drawers, not folders; tools, not applications; workbench instead of a desktop. on MOS i feel like i'm using a browser, and i really don't like that

Ah yes, that is what I was trying to get at in an earlier post. The spatial metaphor does have it's downsides, but nothing that seriously bothers me.

Quote:
3. the community is much, much nicer on the OS4 side. again, this is subjective, but the behavior of some MOS users and developers is a huge turn-off for me. one developer in particular seems obsessed with OS4 and its goings-on, and others are just as snarky. there are OS4 nutters, too, but they don't constantly obsess over or invade the threads of MOS or AROS users.

Hey, are you reading my mind?

It should of course be made clear that the "camp bashing" is much less of a problem than it once was, and I think the little that does still go on is probably from social delinquents (with no genuine interest) who just like to poke a stick into a bee-hive to see what happens.

Quote:
maybe one or two, but the OS4 world has largely moved past the whole red v blue nonsense. for some reason the MOS community pays a tremendous amount of attention to what happens in the OS4 world. most people in the OS4 world just don't really care that much about the MOS world. that's not a negative per se, we just aren't as interested.

Do you really think that is still true (today)?

Profile     Report this post  
Fab 
Posted on 28-Oct-2011 19:08:20
#122 ]

@ChrisH

Quote:

Without wishing to get into the whole OS4 vs MOS thing, I still find AmigaOS4's Workbench (plus Filer for techy stuff) preferable to Wanderer on AROS & Ambient on MorphOS. For example, neither seems to allow icon snapshotting, and nor allow per-folder view settings, as they seem to have adopted Linux-like "single window with automatic layout" file management (which I am not a fan of, personally).

You can snapshot files manually on desktop, and views can optionally have free layout as well (and icons can be snapshot where you want, which of course means you deal again with possible overlapping icons like in workbench).
The same way, you can snapshot directory in a given mode (icon/list) and submode (all/icons/thumbs).
And as said previously, the spatial mode is available as option as well.

Here's an example of ambient with free layout and spatial mode: http://fabportnawak.free.fr/temp/freelayout.png

But in general nobody use spatial mode or free layout in directory views, because it's more a burden in practice. At least it's really painful to me to be forced to open dozens of windows just to reach a deep drawer. Browser mode is much more handy in this case (and still allows spatial mode on demand, anyway).

[EDIT] just noticed that in spatial mode, Ambient will close the parent window if you press ALT while clicking the drawer.

Last edited by Fab on 28-Oct-2011 at 10:35 PM.
Last edited by Fab on 28-Oct-2011 at 10:34 PM.
Last edited by Fab on 28-Oct-2011 at 07:27 PM.
Last edited by Fab on 28-Oct-2011 at 07:11 PM.

ChrisH 
Posted on 28-Oct-2011 19:08:27
#123 ]
Elite Member

@rzookol
Are you saying that MorphOS should adopt a bright orange & blue colour scheme, with a dash of white & black?

g_kraszewski 
Posted on 28-Oct-2011 19:19:21
#124 ]

@ChrisH

Are you saying that MorphOS should adopt a bright orange & blue colour scheme

MorphOS can adopt any scheme. Changing a theme is a single click job.

Daedalus 
Posted on 28-Oct-2011 19:26:45
#125 ]

@g_kraszewski

So just like OS4.1 then?

djrikki 
Posted on 28-Oct-2011 19:28:57
#126 ]
Elite Member

@OP

A stupid question with an obvious answer.

g_kraszewski 
Posted on 28-Oct-2011 19:33:38
#127 ]

@Daedalus

Haven't tried. I use AmigaOS 4 only for compiling and testing DigiBooster 3. Managing files with Workbench and using OS4 shell is not an exciting experience. I even prefer to manage files on AmigaOS 4 partition from Ambient...

ChrisH 
Posted on 28-Oct-2011 19:35:41
#128 ]
Elite Member

@Fab Quote:
Ambient has both spatial and browser modes (see settings->window). It uses browser mode by default, but you can open also a new drawer in a window by pressing alt (or choosing the relevant entry in contextmenu).

Thanks for the tip, but it seems to be an almost entirely neglected feature, as it's still a million miles away from Workbench: Icons inside windows are still automatically placed, and so cannot be snapshotted. When opening a child window, the parent window does not close (on OS4 this is slightly hidden option that I love).

Quote:
You can ... optionally have free layout as well (and icons can be snapshot where you want, which of course means you deal again with possible overlapping icons like in workbench).

Any hint as to where THAT option is hidden?

BTW, never had any problem with overlapping icons in Workbench - fixed icons get placed first, then unfixed icons get placed afterwards.

Quote:
The same way, you can snapshot directory in a given mode (icon/list) and submode (all/icons/thumbs).

That has never worked for me, but at the time I was using the default "browser" mode.

Quote:
But in general nobody use spatial mode or free layout in directory views, because it's more a burden in practice. At least it's really painful to me to be forced to open dozens of windows just to reach a deep drawer. Browser mode is much more handy in this case (and still allows spatial mode on demand, anyway).

As I said, no such burden on OS4, if you don't want loads of windows (I don't but amazingly some people do!). Just let it auto-close the parent window (sadly the option is somewhat hidden).

@g_kraszewski Quote:
MorphOS can adopt any scheme. Changing a theme is a single click job

I'm afraid that comes across as (another!) misguided attempt to sell MOS to an OS4 user, by telling me something (a) I didn't ask about, and (b) something I already knew.

P.S. Themes can be installed on AmigaOS4 with a single click, even if it isn't done as elegantly as on MorphOS.

Last edited by ChrisH on 28-Oct-2011 at 07:38 PM.

Daedalus 
Posted on 28-Oct-2011 19:44:33
#129 ]

@g_kraszewski

As ChrisH also said, that previous post wasn't really relevant, and so just seemed like an obtuse "MorphOS is better" dig. Perhaps you didn't mean it, but you should pick your words more carefully in case you're misinterpreted. Preferring MOS is perfectly fine, but please be aware that it's just an experience and personal preference. Some people do enjoy using Workbench for file management. Some even prefer it to Ambient, and some might even find it exciting.

Personally speaking, I've never found managing files exciting on *any* platform, MOS included... But Workbench with Lister is the most comfortable environment I've used for managing files since DOpus.

Last edited by Daedalus on 28-Oct-2011 at 07:45 PM.

g_kraszewski 
Posted on 28-Oct-2011 19:45:13
#130 ]

@ChrisH

I'm afraid that comes across as (another!) misguided attempt to sell MOS to an OS4 user, by telling me

I suppose you are not the only person reading the thread.

itix 
Posted on 28-Oct-2011 19:53:22
#131 ]
Elite Member

@ChrisH

Quote:

You mean that OS4 users *were* you target group?

Well, what I mean it makes no sense implement features OS4 users might find appealing. For example that free layout mode you mentioned in the post earlier. Klesterjr wanted it but considering effort I put into that it could have been better idea to sell OS4 to him.

(Note I was replying to vox who was brainstorming about more Workbench look alike Ambient.)

Quote:

That seems extremely misguided. Ex-Amigans (and Classic Amigans) should be your targets. OS4 users have already made-up their minds (in general).

Also OS4 users can change their mind. Mostly those who have got broken AmigaOne and need new one. I think we have sold licenses to many ex-AmigaOne users. Of course it can work other way around, too.

Anyway there is not any specific target to us. We just make the OS we like and that is it

g_kraszewski 
Posted on 28-Oct-2011 19:55:39
#132 ]

@Daedalus

But Workbench with Lister is the most comfortable environment I've used for managing files since DOpus.

On classic Amiga I have been an enthusiastic user of Directory Opus Magellan. Then lister view, working in multiple windows, multithreaded design are natural to me, so is Ambient. From my point of view AmigaOS 4 Workbench is a step back.

AmigaBlitter 
Posted on 28-Oct-2011 19:56:57
#133 ]
Elite Member

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic_id=34001&forum=2&start=40&viewmode=flat&order=0

VooDoo 
Posted on 28-Oct-2011 19:57:52
#134 ]

uhm..what is MorphOS??

Why uisng OS4? simple , hard core Amiga user :) ;)

Amiga x5000 ı o2o ı 4GB RAM ı RadeonRX580 | SBlaster Audigy Fx - AmigaOS4.1 FInal Edition

A1200 sandwich :)

Croatian Amiga portal

Zylesea 
Posted on 28-Oct-2011 20:03:51
#135 ]
Elite Member

@ChrisH

It's always selling to some extend. I read your posts also as selling OS4 by praising Workbench features. Don't play the innocent - none of us is, there's always agenda (even if many ppl wil deny that).

Zylesea 
Posted on 28-Oct-2011 20:04:44
#136 ]
Elite Member

@VooDoo

Quote:

VooDoo wrote:
uhm..what is MorphOS??

Easy - http://via.i-networx.de/wim.htm

Fab 
Posted on 28-Oct-2011 20:13:20
#137 ]

@ChrisH

Quote:

Thanks for the tip, but it seems to be an almost entirely neglected feature, as it's still a million miles away from Workbench: Icons inside windows are still automatically placed, and so cannot be snapshotted.

If they have a real icon, they can be snapshot individually wherever you like (like in workbench). Same for icons on desktop (be it real icons or device deficons).

Quote:

When opening a child window, the parent window does not close (on OS4 this is slightly hidden option that I love).

At least it avoids the mess, but i still find that disturbing (why not just stay in the same window, then, would avoid jumping all around).

Quote:

Any hint as to where THAT option is hidden?

sys:prefs/ambient/advanced.conf : autosort = false

And about overlapping icons, it happens in Workbench (and Ambient) if the icons have conflicting positions, of course : http://fabportnawak.free.fr/temp/overlap.png .
This situation can easily happen and not on purpose, unfortunately.

But you're right this freelayout mode is neglected, because there's no great demand for it.

Quote:

That has never worked for me, but at the time I was using the default "browser" mode.

The drawer icon needs to be a real icon, and it will work in spatial mode.
The browser mode has an inheritance concept and mode is propagated, which means that if you snapshot a disk root in list view, all subdirectories will show in list mode as well. On the other hand, in you choose to open a drawer in a new window, the drawer mode will be applied.

Last edited by Fab on 28-Oct-2011 at 08:14 PM.

Antique 
Posted on 28-Oct-2011 20:21:52
#138 ]
Cult Member

@amigadave

Well, here is my amiga story...

I had first a500, then i got an used a4k in 96 or 97. Don't remember now(getting old )
When it broke in hmmm. 2000 something i lost interest. And started with other things. Until one time a friend of mine said he had got a new amogaone with os4. He was kind to take it to me and show it,even let me loan it for the weekend. And i was sold. This was with update 3 i think. By that time there was no longer a1's for sale. So i found a used SE from england. Worked nice. Upgraded to an XE G4 and used that until the cpu fan fell off and machine stopped working. Then i used the SE until i could get me a sam440ep. Then i sold the SE,XE and My 2 a4k one with ppc card inside. From the 440 i went to 460 early this year. Have now sold that.

And you didn't need help to start a war either i see.

I like os4. Even if the progress can be slow at times and kas1e says aos4 users are in 30-50% dumbs and fanboys. Well, thanks for that kas1e. You didn't have to tell the whole world im stupid.

So if os4 goes belly up in the future, i wil not join the mos train. Reason is that some devs and users have made that decisiton for me with their crap/poison and sales campains.

rob_d 
Posted on 28-Oct-2011 20:40:22
#139 ]

personally i couldnt say why i still use os4 loyalty probably but i still find it fun
but morph os and aros just dont appeal to me i want miggy on an x86 i will use win uae/amikit/amithlon
and mac os is better than morph os in my opinion and better supportred

gregthecanuck 
Posted on 28-Oct-2011 20:46:39
#140 ]
Cult Member

Quote:
Why does there seem to be more OS4 users than MorphOS users?

... because OS4 users get the women!!

Simple.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle