Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
16 crawler(s) on-line.
 158 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 blmara:  6 mins ago
 miggymac:  49 mins ago
 Gunnar:  1 hr 17 mins ago
 pixie:  2 hrs 38 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  3 hrs 17 mins ago
 DWolfman:  3 hrs 26 mins ago
 cncparts:  5 hrs ago
 saipaman4366:  5 hrs 46 mins ago
 Beajar:  6 hrs 5 mins ago
 Rob:  6 hrs 8 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Alt Amiga OS
      /  Why does there seem to be more OS4 users than MorphOS users?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
PosterThread
Kicko 
Re: Why does there seem to be more OS4 users than MorphOS users?
Posted on 28-Oct-2011 19:59:51
#141 ]
Elite Member

@gregthecanuck

Im still waiting for mine :D

Last edited by Kicko on 28-Oct-2011 at 08:00 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
kas1e 
Posted on 28-Oct-2011 20:00:48
#142 ]
Elite Member

@Geennaam

Quote:

The point I would like to make clear to you is that it's not a matter of agreeing. It's a matter of accepting. No matter what you say, feel or do. It's ultimately up to Hyperion to decide what's a priority and what's not.

Seems you misunderstood me. I agree with "they start later", and the morphos developers was paid by Genesi, and on that "wave" they make the good base of code. That include even therems for Mui and so on. That with what i agree only, but i really do not care what protites and who have. Hyperion or not blablaberion. They can do what they want, and they will just have in end what they desire. And they in end will come to the way, to which they want to come.

Quote:

But to sum it all up. You cleary want priorities to be different, you clearly want to be part of the OS4 betatester team. But you are not an inch closer to achiving your goal in this way.

You might be a brilliant coder, you might even a brilliant inspirator to get others to do the coding work, but the way you express your frustration and react when other people don't have the same priorities as you, results in that I respect your work, might even like you on a personal level, but I don't want to have you as a collegue in a project team.

But you want to have a "collegue in a project team" who ? Those ones who will say to you "good work!" and "keep it up!" all the time ? Who never-ever will say you "common, be faster, do better". Man, you then just do not works in any real company, when they do any business.

To making good product (in any area, not computers), you should (SHOULD) be annoing, moaning, screaming, bittering, harish and everything what you dislike. Or, you will end up with nothing.

Quote:

Since I don't have any connection with the OS4 dev team, I cannot speak for them. But I wouldn't be suprised if this is one of the reasons why you are still not a part of it.

When you will be in any team, then you can speak for and have opinions based on it. But if you can't understand how to do good stuff, and what happens with "closed from eyes" companies when they in end give you good movie, good os, good software, good car, good anything" - then.. then you can say "good work!" one more time then for something which are not good.

Quote:

Just think about it.

I think enough about it, and that to which i come in my "thinks about" :

For 2 years i do (for free) a lot of "motivation work for others" on os4. Give users some ports from morphos , which noone want to do before (and i am even not programmer or coder). Give to os4 some ports from unix, as well as games, demos, mags. some soft and stuff (and that mean, that i in mostly time contact with developers who out of amiga world, explain them how good to have their game on os4, asking for sources, asking for "special amigaos4 fixes"). Do all that "harish moaning", which in end, in few areas help aos4 users to have what they have now. Promote os4 on the youtube, sites . Do a lot (A LOT) of betatesing for different kind of programms for aos4, which in end avail for public, and you even do not know that i was a betateser, and because of it progamm have x,y,z features (i.e. "working in team" with those programmers)

And i think for myself, why i do that for free, and those suckers, still can't give back something, even not money, but just making me betatester ? I even not say about sending me x1000 (for example), but that can be also logic, no ? Like "heyy kas1e, you do all that #### for free, so what about x1000 for free?". They want only free-volounters who want nothing from them to back ? Or what ? Or they want just users who will blindly follow to sticker , and they will have no PR, no coders, no motivators, just no one. Just someone who will just all the time repeat again and again like a mantra: good works, keep it up, well done, amazing, its just works. I.e. classic , standard words which many os4 users repeat all the time like the same cassette.

Last edited by kas1e on 28-Oct-2011 at 08:03 PM.

Karlos 
Posted on 28-Oct-2011 20:08:09
#143 ]
Elite Member
From: As-sassin-aaate! As-sassin-aaate! Ooh! We forgot the ammunition!

How things seem and how they are aren't necessarily the same. Is there any reasonable statistics for the size of the user base of either platform?

Antique 
Posted on 28-Oct-2011 20:11:55
#144 ]
Cult Member

@kas1e

I believe everyone is greatful of your work on os4 with ports,games etc. And bug reports. BUT do you seriously think this is fair to say?

aos4 users are in 30-50% dumbs and fanboys???

If you'd been in front of me calling me stupid i'd kick your ass all the way to china. You're good at what you do but i think you should consider the way you write. And a betatesters job is to moan and report bugs and give the devs some pain etc.. But if you write as you sometimes do, people will just dislike you. Not cos of the work, but the way you replay and write to others.

And why you not get the betatesting, i don't know and i wont try to guess.

And your complaints on ssolie i think is wrong. It's just his sence of humour, as others have said aswell. I think he has given fresh air in the os4 sails with more and frequent updates. And more openess to the users is also good. Nice to know a bit on whats going on at hyperion. I think the future looks bright.

kas1e 
Posted on 28-Oct-2011 20:22:46
#145 ]
Elite Member

@Antique
Quote:

I believe everyone is greatful of your work on os4 with ports,games etc. And bug reports. BUT do you seriously think this is fair to say?

aos4 users are in 30-50% dumbs and fanboys???

How else i should say ? Like "some users of amigaos4, are not very smart" ? Or how ? If that true, what can i do with it ? I say 30-50%, who force you to bring yourself to that 30-50% ?

Btw, just to be clear, is't its you who in every news write "good work!" ? I remember someone every time repeat that, but i can't remember who.

Quote:

If you'd been in front of me calling me stupid i'd kick your ass all the way to china.

Oh common. Your longer than my ? I myself can kick your ass when time will come, but start to talk about who and with who "can do if", are really strange, because it will never happens.

Quote:

But if you write as you sometimes do, people will just dislike you. Not cos of the work, but the way you replay and write to others.

I mostly prefer to be liked by my wife, childs , femaly and the persons who i like myself. But not from "somebody". And to be honest, i give a #### who will think and what about me.

Quote:

And your complaints on ssolie i think is wrong. It's just his sence of humour, as others have said aswell. I think he has given fresh air in the os4 sails with more and frequent updates. And more openess to the users is also good. Nice to know a bit on whats going on at hyperion. I think the future looks bright.

That was hes humor to say to user when he complain after update4 that ibrowse not works, "go and write mail to authors" ? What the #### is that ? ITs him should go , and be sure that all should works, and ask developers in the os4-team why it can not works, before writing such ####. What humor is that ? And who the #### worring about humor its or not ? You are making "humor" os ? Or what ?

flowi 
Posted on 28-Oct-2011 20:28:04
#146 ]

@kas1e

Quote:
For 2 years i do (for free) a lot of "motivation work for others" on os4. Give users some ports from morphos , which noone want to do before (and i am even not programmer or coder). Give to os4 some ports from unix, as well as games, demos, mags. some soft and stuff (and that mean, that i in mostly time contact with developers who out of amiga world, explain them how good to have their game on os4, asking for sources, asking for "special amigaos4 fixes"). Do all that "harish moaning", which in end, in few areas help aos4 users to have what they have now. Promote os4 on the youtube, sites . Do a lot (A LOT) of betatesing for different kind of programms for aos4, which in end avail for public, and you even do not know that i was a betateser, and because of it progamm have x,y,z features (i.e. "working in team" with those programmers)

Now kas1e, I don't think anyone here doesn't appreciate the good work you've done. But seriously, read what Geennam wrote.

Fab has several times said that he hasn't taken anything for the work he has done. But reading the last message you wrote gives an image that you're expecting a free X1000 as compensation for the port.

True, I believe the port required hard work, but do you think the port was harder or the initial work Fab did?

kas1e 
Posted on 28-Oct-2011 20:31:22
#147 ]
Elite Member

@flowi

Quote:

Fab has several times said that he hasn't taken anything for the work he has done. But reading the last message you wrote gives an image that you're expecting a free X1000 as compensation for the port.

True, I believe the port required hard work, but do you think the port was harder or the initial work Fab did?

Reread what i write. Ports from fab are not only reassons, there are a lot of other work, And i not ask for x1000 (that just example), i asking for making me betatester, to found bugs, for free !

But in reality, enough of that ####. Everyone will have what desire in end.

Antique 
Posted on 28-Oct-2011 20:35:14
#148 ]
Cult Member

@kas1e

Maybe it's you who's the stupid for saying others are stupid?

Maybe it's fault of ibrowse program and not the os itself? I think its coommon sense to check with program author first and then check with problems in the os...

I write that sometimes yes, got a problem with that? I'm i stupid for liking a mans work?

Chain-Q 
Posted on 28-Oct-2011 20:36:31
#149 ]
Cult Member

@Daedalus
Quote:
So just like OS4.1 then?

I'm not entirely up to date on this changing themes subject, but does OS4.1 still require a reboot to change themes? It did in OS4.0 times. And that's a bit more than one click. On MorphOS, you don't have to reboot. It can change themes on a per-screen basis (you can use more themes at once), without the need of a reboot.

nikosidis 
Posted on 28-Oct-2011 20:38:29
#150 ]
Cult Member

@kas1e

This is why I'm with AROS. I fed up with Amiga management. Amiga let me down so much in the past, that I have no trust in them. I think it is a shame that Hyperion have not sent you an X1000. Even in AROS world we have send some good coders hardware to work with.

kas1e 
Posted on 28-Oct-2011 20:41:40
#151 ]
Elite Member

@Antique

Quote:

Maybe it's fault of ibrowse program and not the os itself? I think its coommon sense to check with program author first and then check with problems in the os...

You even not understand the problem, right ?

If Ssolie (TEAM-LEAD) say to some user "go and write mail to author of ibrowse", whle ibrose included in the OS (!) , and ibrowse of course works, just need to go, and talk with developers of os4, or with betatester, before write such answers. ITs just not smart, unfriendly and wrong at all for end users !

Its not about "some programm", its about ibrowse, which include to os, and which of course work ! If not - not include it to os , but not need to answer like that.

Quote:

I write that sometimes yes, got a problem with that? I'm i stupid for liking a mans work?

No. But its stoopid from team-lead to say that if programm, which included to OS stop to works after update, come and write mail to author of it.

Anyway, imho enough of all of this ? I still will have my opinion, and you will have yours

eliyahu 
Posted on 28-Oct-2011 20:42:42
#152 ]

@Chain-Q

Quote:
I'm not entirely up to date on this changing themes subject, but does OS4.1 still require a reboot to change themes? It did in OS4.0 times. And that's a bit more than one click. On MorphOS, you don't have to reboot. It can change themes on a per-screen basis (you can use more themes at once), without the need of a reboot.

nope. you don't need to reboot. that said MOS is a bit nicer here: on OS4 you don't get a preview, for example. i can apply all sorts of changes on a per-screen basis via the screens prefs utility, but as for overall GUI themes, i don't think we can do that. (correction: apparently you can)

OS4.1 introduced a ton of intuition and reaction changes, making everything truly themeable.

-- eliyahu

Last edited by eliyahu on 28-Oct-2011 at 08:47 PM.

afxgroup 
Posted on 28-Oct-2011 20:43:10
#153 ]

@all

Did you understand what i mean in my first reply?? A simply question will end in this kind of posts..

cha05e90 
Posted on 28-Oct-2011 20:43:44
#154 ]

@Chain-Q

No, you don't have to reboot anything. You have to perform a double-click. That's it. You can use themes per screen with OS4.1 as well - I do this, 'cos I only use compostion on my workbench and non-composition on all other screens - and they have different themes as well.

Edit: Ah, eliyahu were faster...

Last edited by cha05e90 on 28-Oct-2011 at 08:45 PM.

kas1e 
Posted on 28-Oct-2011 20:47:09
#155 ]
Elite Member

@Chain-Q

Quote:

I.e. you ask if p96 still block refreshing and saying "close all the programms before" when you change a theme : then yes, its still the same. And do not belive to any aos4 user who say that changing of theme its "single a click". Its single click to choice, but you will not see the differences in realtime, until you reboot, or, untill you close all the windowses, and amidock) :)

@nikodis

I remember how Genesi (or that was bPlan ?) who kindly send a lot of HW to different persons, and to coders, and to motivators, and even to translators. They even send machines to democoders (a lot). As i remember, they send machine to Kiero to catch up him with morphos. That was right choice should to say.

eliyahu 
Posted on 28-Oct-2011 20:48:49
#156 ]

@kas1e

Quote:
I.e. you ask if p96 still block refreshing and saying "close all the programms before" when you change a theme : then yes, its still the same. And do not belive to any aos4 user who say that changing of theme its "single a click". Its single click to choice, but you will not see the differences in realtime, until you reboot, or, untill you close all the windowses, and amidock) :)

so long as windows are closed, no problems.

-- eliyahu

kas1e 
Posted on 28-Oct-2011 20:51:31
#157 ]
Elite Member

@eliyahu

Quote:

so long as windows are closed, no problems.

Yeah, but still. And more annoing is to close amidock :)

number6 
Posted on 28-Oct-2011 20:53:17
#158 ]
Elite Member

@kas1e

Quote:

or Toolmanager. Heh.

eliyahu 
Posted on 28-Oct-2011 20:56:09
#159 ]

@kas1e

Quote:

you have to close amidock on your system? i've never had to on my SAM, although my dock is still mostly the default setup. that would be annoying. stuff like this -- if it isn't already -- should be tracked somewhere. maybe hyperion might consider making a public bugzilla available which shadows the one used by developers and testers. that's how things worked in the opensolaris project before larry ellison borg'd sun.

anyway, don't get too frustrated. these machines are supposed to be fun. the second they aren't, take a break or something. chance are things will be pretty much the same when you get back.

-- eliyahu

kas1e 
Posted on 28-Oct-2011 20:59:38
#160 ]
Elite Member

@eliyahu

Quote:

you have to close amidock on your system?

Yep. But i think its because my amidock not default one, with all that resizing, transparency and so on, so maybe one of features do that blocking.

Quote:

anyway, don't get too frustrated. these machines are supposed to be fun. the second they aren't, take a break or something. chance are things will be pretty much the same when you get back.

Yeah, you are right, need some chilling anyway for now :)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle