Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
24 crawler(s) on-line.
 167 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

-Sam-

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 -Sam-:  59 secs ago
 RobertB:  24 mins ago
 Gunnar:  35 mins ago
 OlafS25:  43 mins ago
 pixie:  44 mins ago
 Rob:  58 mins ago
 blmara:  1 hr 24 mins ago
 miggymac:  2 hrs 7 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  4 hrs 35 mins ago
 DWolfman:  4 hrs 44 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Alt Amiga OS
      /  Why does there seem to be more OS4 users than MorphOS users?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
PosterThread
jPV 
Re: Why does there seem to be more OS4 users than MorphOS users?
Posted on 30-Oct-2011 9:11:42
#241 ]
Cult Member

I've always been hard core Amiga fan and never used any other than Amiga operating systems as my main system since moving from C64 to Amiga. Since new hardware has been standardized close to mainstream and raw power or hw tricks aren't that important anymore, it's mostly being Amiga operating system fan nowadays, not the hw fan.

Currently I'm using MorphOS as my main system and despite its name, I can assure it is a real Amiga operating system too. It's just missing that infamous "the official name" status. We just have to accept the fact that name doesn't tell everything anymore. I'm not going to buy those Android tablets, PC setups or bathtubes which have the Amiga name. You have to look the content and not the outfit today.

In fact, MorphOS is the most familiar next gen operating system for me as an old Amiga power user. I've been using most of its software components already with my classic Amigas, like CGX, Poseidon, MUI, AmiTCP/IP, TurboPrint, AHI, SFS and many more. Also old 68k system files like filesystems, libraries, devices, datatypes etc still work on it.

I can read some shallow claims that MorphOS isn't like Amiga because it has slightly different directory structure (heck, it's just keeping system files in separate dir. Many people do that with classic Amigas too, there's great shell command called Assign, you know. Having user C, Libs etc dir separated from system ones is a good thing.), Ambient isn't like Workbench (I've been using Magellan2 for over decade on my classic systems and Ambient is very close to it and thus more familiar for me than plain WB. And you can disable its features to get it like Workbench too.) or system prefs system's outlook is different (I count that as very minor point). I actually find OS4 more alien for me, because it has more completely new components like its USB and network stacks, *nix like libraries, Reaction GUI (which I never got familiar even with H&P updates to 3.x) etc. And yes, I've had A1XE with 4.1 in my use too.

Anyway, I don't want to say which platform others should use, but I just can't tolerate people spreading false information or calling MorphOS just an "another platform" or "amiga like platform", like it would be only resembling but alien to Amiga OS. It is as full Amiga operating system as any can be nowadays and great continuation to original AmigaOS.

Profile     Report this post  
LoneHaranguer 
Posted on 30-Oct-2011 11:36:35
#242 ]

I'm running Windoze and wishing I could be using a real computer

The SAM board isn't quite powerful enough for my liking. I've been waiting for the new X1000, but, since I haven't had a reply to my email, I think I'll be waiting a bit longer.

So I'll be waiting for the netbook, and hoping that MorphOS wioll be ported to it too so I cazn dual boot.

I tried installing AROS on my little netbook, but it didn't recognise the network or graphics adapter, so I couldn't go online and I couldn't get any resolution but 640x400, and couldn't drag screens.

I'm planning (when I get a few moments) to install AROS on one of the PCs I have sitting in front of me, and hope that it can find the graphics and network adapters.

I've got 3 A1200s and 5 A500s, but I rarely bring them out. I'd have to buy some new equipment to network them, and I'd rather spend the money on something a little more modern. I also have a CDTV that a coworkers brother recently gave me (along with 3 of those A500s and one of the A1200s). It has occured to me that if I were to sell some of these, I'd probably raise enough to get an X1000, and maybe a Mac Mini as well. Or I could sell my liver ...

I've pretty much decided to track down a G4 Mac Miini to try out MorphOS, though I still prefer the Amiga style interface. I still haven't given up hope of finding some Mac user who wants to give one away

I've gotta get one Amiga or another running. Actually, I'd like one of each.

$adddam 
Posted on 30-Oct-2011 11:59:21
#243 ]

@Fairdinkem

"they are just software apps I like to use on any operating system and I find them to be better developed on AmigaOS4.1."

no complaints or starting a flame here just out of curiosity: what are these apps, at least what type? its a bit strange to read statements like this esp. as for me sometimes it seems there are too many good programs exists/coming to morphos considering the time i have to play with them:)

reading this thread and the likes here and there it seems to me that i hit the nail when i said, moprhos is for those power users who used their upgraded amiga system(s) continously, followed the latest developments and if they didnt have the latest and greatest stuff at least they dreamed about to have them - ppc cards, gfx cards, sound cards tons of hdd space, big res. monitors, etc - and them used heavily customized/patched aos full of 3rd party stuff like mui, mcp, ahi, cgx (or p96 for the record), also a large number of them had some tpye of phase 5 card (be it gfx or turbo, esp. if they had a ppc:) - so it was almost natural to them to switch to morphos, as they used, knew and loved the core parts of the os for a long time and also knew the brilliant hw makers, whom kept the amiga (os as well) alive and founded the base of -and even started- the evolution of ppc ng systems what we use today, almost alone as a company. these ppl mostly didnt like os3.5 (nor 3.9) as in many ways it was a downgrade to them existing 3.1 system with all that 3rd party stuff/hacks (true you could set up a system like that based on 3.5/9 as well, still, while clean 3.5 was a major upgrade over a clean 3.1 it couldnt stand up against a nicely maintaned, patched 3.1 system with all that 3rd party stuff). renamed classact over mui fe.? so when they saw morphos coming from the ppl whom sw/hw were used by them, i think the choice is obvious. not to mention it was available:)

i myself was one of these lads, having a 1200(t) with 030/50, later 040/40, using a multisync monitor with aga (what a pleasure to use multiscan productivity on such a system, esp. if you wont go under 128 cols on wb but mostly prefered full 256 - eyecandy above anything:), hdd, cd-rom (later burner), and a custom made (hungarian) 20 bit soundcard sitting on the clock port. i always used and loved mui since i've got my first 12k with hdd, had all the comfort and eyecandy hacks and tools i could find and liked and was able to use (birdie, mcp, magicwb, later newicons, etc... just to name a few). i used this system up to 2003 (never had enuff funds to get a ppc and a gfx card duh i purchased a mikornik z2/z3 board and a picassoII but never got them working in my setup dfue numerous reasons), then the mainboard died, so i gotta have a computer asap. not able to get any expensive amiga hw the only thing i could get for practicly free was a crap celeron333 so i became a win98 user. man, i hated it, not a single hour without bashing winshit and missing me amiga using it. but later i upgraded the winbox also started to use to windows (not likin it ofcoz:) and at the high price of a complete amiga ppc system it was out of question to get one - so i've stopped to follow the amiga world for a few years. the situation looked rather depressive anyway at that time as it seemed all hope is lost, no new systems and/or real development for amiga and unlikely if there be any in the foreseeable future (didnt know nuttin about morphos at that time, despite that it existed by that, which i found rather strange years after, not that it would change anything for me if i did) so out of the amiga world for yrs then in 2005 i've found that amiga is not only alive, but it has modern hw and os - in the form of 2 rivaling system and a divided community. first i was simpatizing with os4 mostly coz of the name and everything, but at the time os4 was not out only very early screenshots existed, while moprhos was there, there was available hw for it, and when i saw those wonderful screenshots of beautiful ambient screens, ibrowse with fantastic new mui look, learned that this os uses ahi, mui, cgx, etc by default and it was kinda like i wanted amigaos to become, i was buyed. yet in my heart i wanted os4 to be the same, it has really more familiar (outdated:) look on shots, had the name, the ball, so while i really liked mos deeply inside somehow i wanted to be an os4 user:) mainly 2 things converted me totally into morphos: 1nd, i could see by time that os4 wont be "morphos with the amiga name" soon, if ever, nor in features nor in quality, nor in any areas what important for me, 2nd, the pegasos were much cheaper then the later became available a1s (and the story of those wasnt appealing either), this way they were more popular in my country (of poor hosueholds:), means i could try them in live (what i couldnt do with aos for a long time) and lastly there was a very good offer from genesi on the last remaining g3 peg2's, so i decided to take a loan and get one. at the end i couldnt got a peg from this offer (even if bbrv later even offered a peg2g4 at g3 price as a result of the incompetence of a local dealer, but thats another story), but as i have the money i got a 2nd hand peg2/g3. never regretted that invest, even if - mostly during 1.4 times - peg/morphos caused some nightmare for me. since 2.0 its my main system, and it is really the amiga i always wanted. true things could be much better, but i never hoped (max. dreamed about) to have a amiga(like)system in 2011 which i can use for the most of the things i use a computer for.

i used aos 4.0 and 4.1 for some time, and while i like a lot of things in it, theres no way i could switch to it. it would be like using a plain 3.5 after a yrs old, heavily customized and known 3.1 system - a downgrade in many areas + even worse as os4 doesnt have morphos compability as 3.5 had for running 3.1 apps (after all they were the same os:) so i could perfectly understand that the more advanced morphos did not appeal those who used only plain 2.1-3.9 and/or used only offical add-ons for their amiga systems - never or rarely mui/ahi and stuff. they most likely has found morphos a bit (or very) alien, while os4 seemed to follow almost exactly where 3.9 has stopped.

it became a very long post, sorry, all i was wanted to say is a few line (morphos=power users, os4=regural/or older users who stopped using it after c= busted). sorry 'bout that, but when memories came what can an amigan do?:)

Antique 
Posted on 30-Oct-2011 12:25:28
#244 ]
Cult Member

@$adddam

I had a a4k with micronik tower(a huge one), lots of zorro ports. cyberstorm ppc 604e 266mzh/040 40mhz, cybervision64,several hds,araidne 2 ethernet card,an ata controller of some kind, a gvp scsi controller,some midi stuff, etc.... i used some warpup/powerup, don't remember which, cgx v5 i think i did buy at some time. But never tried mos.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 30-Oct-2011 12:52:41
#245 ]
Elite Member

@$adddam

Quote:
even worse as os4 doesn’t have morphos compatibility

That's because the two operating systems are not the same, not developed by same people, different designs, its a bit like asking Microsoft to support OS2 from IBM.

$adddam 
Posted on 30-Oct-2011 13:21:42
#246 ]

@NutsAboutAmiga

i was not asking for anything, just used it as a hopefully understanable example. if you'd read the quoted sentence further, then it should be obvious (the quoted part in itself indeed can be misleading)

@Antique

sorry maybe forgot to mention that my theory ofcourse not fits to anyone and there can be - and are - exceptions and different stories on both world. but as i've found out through forum posts from diff. os4 users its some kind true in most cases. not intended to offend anyone.

cheesegrate 
Posted on 30-Oct-2011 14:24:41
#247 ]

@$adddam

Yes but your theory was mainly about 3.1 with addons vs the official path of 3.5/3.9. I think you are on the money with it and i bet antique used the latter/

"Look behind you, a three-headed monkey!" - Monkey Island

Shufflepuck 
Posted on 30-Oct-2011 14:56:04
#248 ]
Cult Member

Wow, took a while to go over the whole thread.

Please go to the first bold word included on this reply if you don't want to take a stroll down (my) memory lane, it includes a personal opinion on both AmigaOS and MorphOS.

As jas_mc and many others I've very fond memories of my time with the Commodore Amiga as a teenager, started with an A500 and shortly after a plain A2000; it was all about Gaming / Deluxe Paint / Trackers / X-Copy for me, booting WB 1.3 just to write some Notes.

Abandoned the Amiga and switched to a Pentium 75 with Windows 95, where I was doing the exact same thingie, except I had to wait for the OS to load, so I ended up using MS-DOS 6.x exclusively for a long time (playing Quake from DOS, never-ending sessions with Fast Tracker 2, PC-Engine and Gameboy emulation…), while switching to Win just for Paint Shop Pro. The advent of the Internet changed almost everything, getting a reliable dial-up service provider with a 14.4 (later a 28.8) modem where I lived (I remember paying a ####load for being online just for like 1 hour a day…) was a nightmare, using Netscape/Opera, adding RAM and stuff. Shortly after I started to loose interest in computers, I simply had not enough money to catch up with the whole 3D cards craze, a SNES was just enough for my gaming fix, my electric guitar replaced the whole mod/tracker needs.

Fast forward to 2001 I started working in advertising so they put a Mac in front of me, and never looked back. I regained interest in computers and bought a PC laptop, tried every possible Linux distro at the time, but something was missing… A friend of mine told me, have you tried AROS? "EROS what?" was my honest to god reply.

I became aware the Amiga - albeit a very different beast as opposed to the one I remembered - was still alive. I learnt about MorphOS, the whole Gateway/QNX project, and yes I tried AROS first. Still unripe for my tastes, it had not enough tools to keep me interested. At that time I read some articles by Elena Novaretti and MorphOS, was really intrigued, but had not enough money to buy a Peg, while (if memory serves me well), the AOnes were around the corner. I decided to wait, wait, wait, for the 3 OSs to mature a bit, I also didn't want to have just another gadget gathering dust in the closet, and in the meantime bought Amiga Forever to reaquint myself with the Amiga, and finally learn more about "Workbench" (now called AmigaOS, what a surprise, he he).

Was not following the various Amiga fora at the time, had not idea of the red/blue fights (well, I knew there were factions, but I'm sincerely surprised by the amount of bad blood and nastiness polluting the scene back then), and "invested" in a second-hand A1200 as well. Fun for a bit, good old memories coming back, and thanks for all the fish. Sold it back and then started firing up E-UAE from time to time, it was enough for my retro fix.

Fast forward (again) to a couple of years ago, "the Amiga monkey" came back, started following the Amiga fora, and I bought a Sam440 Flex shortly after seeing the infamous "Why use AmigaOS 4 in 2009" video. This was exactly what I needed, to get a pause from my daily work on OSX, to have "something different but at the same time familiar" to play with, even if I switched it on for like 1 day a week, to test new stuff and muck around with OS4.1.

I loved it, the gorgeous look and feel, Workbench's spatial metaphor, the responsiveness, it was like a cure for homesickness, just a way to relax by doing common stuff like playing music, browsing, filing away pictures, etc. I knew I could do it faster and better with my Mac, or PC, I could play newer/better games on my iPad, but you know, you can't argue with your heart, sometimes. The only drawback was as said earlier I was just able to swtich it one a week if I was lucky, I travel a lot, and not having a portable Amiga was a big hindrance.

I'm not going back, however I sold my Flex months ago as I was planning to buy a 460, but now that the AmigaOne netbook has been announced I'll wait. In the meantime I received a MacMini for free (me lucky ####), so I'm now having a pleasant interval with MorphOS 2.7.

Do I like it? Yes. It's fast, compatibility is great, Fab's OWB is an excellent browser, but overall it's in some ways too much of a departure from the Amiga I "know" and love. Am I being conservative and/or diehard here? Probably.

But let me explain, and this factor I think poses some interesting questions (something AmigaOS developers I'm sure are facing); Ambient is pretty advanced, it's one of the many/possible/direct/indirect EVOLUTION of Workbench and at the same time MorphOS is one of the many/possible/direct/indirect EVOLUTION of AmigaOS 3.1. I'm throwing AROS in the mix as well.

So, how's going to evolve AmigaOS and still be AmigaOS? For some it has already evolved in MorphOS, for some it's something we'll experience with 4.2 or 4.3 or 5.0, or the new Workbench, or whatever will come from Hyperion. Look at Mac OSX, no-one's arguing it's not the direct successor of OS9, albeit it's a complete overhaul. Look at Windows 8, and the whole Metro stuff. Some may like it, some may not, some will say who cares, as long as the average user can access Facebook and download TV shows, who cares.

In my opinion as it stands now AmigaOS it's a modernized version of AmigaOS 3.x, it attracts more or less a thousand of ex Commodore Amiga users, who grew with the thing (at different levels) and don't want to let it go. It's passion, you can't let go so easily your first love. I think we Amigans are lucky to have what we have after 25 years, being AmigaOS 4.1, MorphOS, AROS.

Enough with my rant, I didn't want to go too much off topic, however to reply to the first post by amigadave:

Quote:
So, with that long winded explanation of my intentions and curiosity, why do most of you think there are more OS4 users (specially in the USA) than MorphOS users?

IMHO there are more OS4 users because (beware the brand-name game!), it's called AmigaOS, a rule that applies even in a micro-market like this one. I think there are plenty of users who - like me - where not "here" during the big-duck contests bewteen devs or the lawsuit extravaganza era.

Cheers,
Shufflepuck

Last edited by Shufflepuck on 30-Oct-2011 at 02:56 PM.

jPV 
Posted on 30-Oct-2011 16:59:34
#249 ]
Cult Member

@$adddam

Quote:

$adddam wrote:

all i was wanted to say is a few line (morphos=power users, os4=regural/or older users who stopped using it after c= busted).

That is actually pretty well thought (and the longer version I didn't quote). If everybody would realize that and we could stop arguing and have something like "AmigaOS Home" and "AmigaOS Pro" :P Each for its own purpose.

Fairdinkem 
Posted on 30-Oct-2011 20:09:21
#250 ]
Cult Member

@recedent

Quote:

recedent wrote:
@Fairdinkem

Quote:
I won't give any examples they are just software apps I like to use on any operating system and I find them to be better developed on AmigaOS4.1.

And I've just found a gazillion of software apps that are better developed for MorphOS but I won't give any examples either :)

WOW!!!! a GAZZILION???? I have looked hard and didn't find that many apps for MorphOS you should show me a few links

The reason I have given no examples is because I want to keep this thread friendly and I did not want to insult the developers and I will not be baited into doing so. Developers are important for the Amiga Community no matter what operating system they are developing for, example the likes of Fab and Kas1e and the rest of the team that has ported the likes of Odysey (I think that is how you spell it?) browser.

I was just sharing my journey not in sighting a flame war, I was not generalising the whole collection of developed software. There is some very well developed software on MorphOS, I made mention of one of them which was the browser that made me try MorphOS in the first place and the fact that the operating system is based on MUI which I loved because I used MUI registered back in the day.

Zylesea 
Posted on 30-Oct-2011 21:31:12
#251 ]
Elite Member

@Fairdinkem

Quote:

Fairdinkem wrote:

WOW!!!! a GAZZILION???? I have looked hard and didn't find that many apps for MorphOS you should show me a few links

http://aminet.net/
http://downloads.morphzone.org/index2.php
http://geit.de/deu_grunch.html

Sums up to exactly 3.1416 GAZZILION überapps

I haven't found many non stable MorphOS apps. Look to important programs available for MorphOS and their counterparts on OS4. For example OWB on MorphOS version is that much better that it got ported to OS4 eventually, same is true for MPlayer. Either name apps better on OS4 than on MorphOS or the arguement is just void. I am sure there are some OS4 programs that may run better than their counterpart on MorphOS, but I don't know of any. Put your cards on the table.

xeron 
Posted on 30-Oct-2011 22:02:19
#252 ]
Elite Member
From: Weston-Super-Mare, Somerset, England, UK, Europe, Earth, The Milky Way, The Universe

Quote:

all i was wanted to say is a few line (morphos=power users, os4=regural/or older users who stopped using it after c= busted).

I'm not sure I like the insinuation that MorphOS is so clearly superior that the only possible explanation for someone liking OS4 is that they weren't really power users of classic Amigas, not really technical perople and/or stopped using Amigas after Commodore went bust. In my case, i'm a technical person (software engineer by trade), I used Amigas right through the bad times. I had 030 and 060 accelerators when they were cutting edge (i've had Blizzard 1230, Blizzard 1260, Cyberstorm MkIII 060, and a CSPPC before). I had a Cybervision 64/3D when that and the PIV were the best cards available, I had a Repulse soundcard, I was one of the first to get a Mediator 4000. I spent thousands on Amiga stuff over the years.

And yet, I got an AmigaOne XE and went the OS4 route. I even invested a few hundred in a second-hand Pegasos, a new case, brand new hard disk, keyboard, monitor, everything, to try out MorphOS. I had it set up right next to my A1. I liked MorphOS a lot, but I still preferred OS4, and when I needed some cash, one of them had to go. The Peg went, the A1 stayed.

I know i'm not the only one, but if it makes you feel better about your choice to tell yourself that the OS4 users must be all non-technical people who don't know what they're doing, you carry on telling yourself that.

Cool_amigaN 
Posted on 30-Oct-2011 23:02:57
#253 ]

@xeron

You are on the exceptions' side :P

9/10 OS4 users, that I have met in real life and chat about, used stock OS3.x variations or slightly customized OS, for sure not heavily patched systems. They could live without AHI, MUI, DOPUS etc.

IMHO, as I have stated previously in this thread, MorphOS is different from OS4.x in many ways. Apart from 68k app compatibility as a sharing basis, there is a whole different UI approach that distinguishes both platforms from each other. Here's an example, imho, it's 2011 and WB doesn't have a back button, Though severely wrong approach from UI pov, OS4 users seem fine with it. Why? Because it's acting exactly like the original.

I 've shown MOS and OS4 to ex-amigans: When they show MOS, it just couldn't directly remind them AmigaOS, I had to tell them. When they saw OS4.x they could right from booting WB ,in a mere of seconds.

Last edited by Cool_amigaN on 30-Oct-2011 at 11:03 PM.

$adddam 
Posted on 30-Oct-2011 23:11:20
#254 ]

@xeron

excuse me but never said anything about "only possible explanation", quite the opposite, as no really black and white thing in the world and no single answer to any question nor absolute truth in any matter.

as i clearly pointed out before and do it again: my "theory" of course not true for everyone, but based on what os4 users told 'bout them story posted over the yrs and very recently in this very thread it seems to be true for many of them (and also for morphos, that part i know for sure not just by my own example). in my view the person who used amigas only for games (a500) or used one only upto '94 and therefore couldnt know the following developments surely wasnt a poweruser, what just a simple word defining a long time amiga user with heavily expanded hw and customized os. if you dont fit in this group then dont apply my theory (which again, is not about every last os4/mos user out there, it cant be) for yourself.
and please dont put words into my or any others mouth what never been spoken: never wrote morphos is so clearly superior but it is/was more advanced (progressive would be a better word as it was already used by someoen here) in many areas therefore looked alien to ppl who never used/liked 3rd party hacks/add-ons + mui/cgx/etc.. for whatever reason it might be. theres no comparison on my side regarding the superiority of these systems but a way to try to understand and explain the whys.
a single person is always be a single person whom experience could not explain a whole bunch of ppls choices/actions, but collecting an x number of opinions, answers, stories, etc.. from x number of users and try to make a possible explanation out of them, where the "truth factor" goes higher with increasing number x in my opinion is a valid method to understand things better. and again, that explanation will be always true for only for a part of a group not for the whole group, and certanly wont be the "only possible explanation". perhaps my english is really that bad that some got hard times to understand what i wanted to say, but as i see based on some other replies it would be true only for a few readers, and some of them may see hostility there even where theres none.

"tell yourself that the OS4 users must be all non-technical people who don't know what they're doing" that part is absolutely untrue and pls quote me where i was anything similar, if you can then i'll edit it as it must be bad language usage there, nothing more. i never said os4 users being non-technical and certanly havent said that os4 users dont know what they doing.

im really curious about that are there some ppl who really just read every 2nd line of a post, or just some words of their choice (could be tiring to read such a long post i admit:), or is my post has really that hard to missunderstood, despite the numerous times i've tried specified my no-hostile, no-offending attitude in the post (or havent i?:)

KimmoK 
Posted on 30-Oct-2011 23:21:58
#255 ]
Elite Member

Again I got sad about the fact that the resources of our niche are split.

I wish that one day AOS4 is so good and the community so friendly that everyone want to help each other and the OS (even if they support also other flavours).

Silly me.

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

wawa 
Posted on 30-Oct-2011 23:55:05
#256 ]
Elite Member

@$adddam

Quote:

im really curious about that are there some ppl who really just read every 2nd line of a post, or just some words of their choice (could be tiring to read such a long post i admit:), or is my post has really that hard to missunderstood, despite the numerous times i've tried specified my no-hostile, no-offending attitude in the post (or havent i?:)

on my part, seeing such a massive post, i admit i have to concentrate to read it cautiously through. maybe you should try to post shorter?

Last edited by wawa on 30-Oct-2011 at 11:55 PM.

$adddam 
Posted on 31-Oct-2011 3:57:33
#257 ]

@Fairdinkem

i guess you'll hurt noone if you tell in what areas do you feel os4 stronger or has better developed apps than morphos. only the areas, no need to name specific apps, so things like "internet browsing", "developing tools", "gfx/audio tools", or some libs/device drivers, some subsystem of the os - hope you got the point.
im really curious about this, and if you really dont want to tell this very offending (joking:) information on a public forum, pls answer me via pm (or tell only the apps in pm, any way would be sufficent, thx:). maybe i have to revisit my point of view about os4's sw library after you answered. thx in advance.

i for one really like os4's (and aros seems to be par here) screen draging feature, i wanted that for ages, i missed that a lot with winpcs and any other system i used - incl. morphos. theres even a dragon2 video on youtube what looks gorgeus, but its not/cant/dontwant to be released. i would love to have that, its truly a great, useful and unique feature which i dont understand why only morphos devs are "against" or not bothered enuff to try. but cant be all things perfect, and thats fine.

$adddam 
Posted on 31-Oct-2011 4:00:46
#258 ]

@wawa

taken, sometimes got the word and cant stop tha flow, sorry'bout that.

g_kraszewski 
Posted on 31-Oct-2011 7:23:52
#259 ]

@$adddam

You can also try to fix your "shift" keys on the keyboard. Then you will be able to use capital letters at the start of a sentence. It improves readability.

madtrekker 
Posted on 31-Oct-2011 7:47:40
#260 ]

@Cool_amigaN

"IMHO, as I have stated previously in this thread, MorphOS is different from OS4.x in many ways. Apart from 68k app compatibility as a sharing basis, there is a whole different UI approach that distinguishes both platforms from each other. Here's an example, imho, it's 2011 and WB doesn't have a back button, Though severely wrong approach from UI pov, OS4 users seem fine with it. Why? Because it's acting exactly like the original."

Whilst catching up on this thread, I spotted this, and thought it was an interesting point.

There are probably a number of different reasons why people might be driven to trying an alternative operating system, but for me, the main driver was that I hated the direction that Windows was going in (generally treating the user like an idiot and hiding "power user" functionality to the point where it was almost impossible to find). It's understandable that they'd take that approach considering the increasing number of non-technical users using computers, but it wasn't working for me.

The place where I'd say this started was in Win 95 when they replaced the original Explorer with (effectively) Internet Explorer, adding in stuff like single window navigation, back buttons and so on. Particularly coming from a background where windows had always worked the way the old Explorer worked (i.e. Workbench, RISC OS) I hated the new approach, and while you could sort of get it back to how it was, it still had the interface taken from IE, so it wasn't quite the same. And of course, later versions of Windows took this much further.

I tried initially moving to Linux thinking it was pretty much the only alternative, but found that had it's own problems, and the main window managers were basically trying to copy the approach taken by Windows anyway, so that they could appeal more to non-technical users.

When I discovered Amiga OS4 it was like a breath of fresh air - finally everything worked how I remembered and wanted, and Amiga OS is an operating system that rewards people who take the time to get the most out of it. It probably couldn't become a mainstream operating system in it's current form, but since there's no chance of that happening I think OS4 users are fine with that.

I haven't used MorphOS but from reading through this thread, I do get the impression that it's developers have made more of an effort to catch up with some of the changes that have happened to OS UI's in the years since the collapse of Commodore. Possibly the same changes might have happened to Amiga OS if Commodore hadn't collapsed, but I'd have probably hated them just as much as I did in Windows when Explorer was replaced.

Last edited by madtrekker on 31-Oct-2011 at 07:48 AM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle