Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
15 crawler(s) on-line.
 143 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  10 mins ago
 pixie:  11 mins ago
 BigD:  38 mins ago
 matthey:  52 mins ago
 AndreasM:  1 hr 22 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 23 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 30 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 54 mins ago
 Swisso:  1 hr 58 mins ago
 amigang:  3 hrs 6 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Alt Amiga OS
      /  Why does there seem to be more OS4 users than MorphOS users?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
PosterThread
Mechanic 
Re: Why does there seem to be more OS4 users than MorphOS users?
Posted on 31-Oct-2011 14:23:35
#281 ]
Elite Member

Why does there seem to be more OS4 users than MorphOS users?

AmigaOS is more ...... er .......FUN!

Profile     Report this post  
Zylesea 
Posted on 31-Oct-2011 19:33:06
#282 ]
Elite Member

@Mechanic

Quote:

Mechanic wrote:

Th efun part may be debateable, but os4 has of course many more dancing bananas , while MorphOS must live with the annoying Mr. Banana.

wawa 
Posted on 31-Oct-2011 19:42:15
#283 ]
Elite Member

@Mechanic

Quote:

at least there is more funny conspiracy being discussed all the time.

Mechanic 
Posted on 31-Oct-2011 20:05:26
#284 ]
Elite Member

@Zylesea @wawa

Such is life.

One minute

the next minute

Fairdinkem 
Posted on 31-Oct-2011 20:08:57
#285 ]
Cult Member

@Fab

Have to say what I liked most about MorphOS is the fact it was a lot like Directory Opus Magellan.... I was one of the heretics back in the day that bought Magellan cause I wanted to try the workbench replacement mode because of all the new cool feature etc.

jas_mc 
Posted on 31-Oct-2011 20:33:33
#286 ]

I think spatial versus browser style has pros and cons, and preference is largely a matter of personality type.

I'm the sort of person who has several windows open, even in Linux and Windows. I right click to do "open in new window" far more often than is necessary when I'm using Firefox. I'm also prone to saving documents under a new name when I'm editing them, even for fairly minor edits, to the point where I multiply documents to unhelpful levels.

Some people just like to preserve where they've been, so they can go back and open something different and have multiple things open at once. I don't think it's an objectively *better* way of working, but there's definitely a personality type that likes to do things that way.

jPV 
Posted on 1-Nov-2011 12:03:34
#287 ]
Cult Member

@jas_mc

Quote:

jas_mc wrote:
I think spatial versus browser style has pros and cons, and preference is largely a matter of personality type.

I'm the sort of person who has several windows open, even in Linux and Windows. I right click to do "open in new window" far more often than is necessary when I'm using Firefox. I'm also prone to saving documents under a new name when I'm editing them, even for fairly minor edits, to the point where I multiply documents to unhelpful levels.

Some people just like to preserve where they've been, so they can go back and open something different and have multiple things open at once. I don't think it's an objectively *better* way of working, but there's definitely a personality type that likes to do things that way.

At least in this MorphOS (and Magellan2) case spatial and browser style aren't that exclusive. You can still have as many windows and locations as you want open with browser mode. You can use it just the same way as spatial, but then you can also do browsing and click buttons for functions when you need it. And in browser mode window you can move quickly on the path history with a single click to open something different.

Last edited by jPV on 01-Nov-2011 at 12:33 PM.

pampers 
Posted on 1-Nov-2011 21:09:21
#288 ]

@amigadave

I choosed MorphOS because it was my first try after couple of years, when I completely forgot about Amiga. When I decided to come back it was my first choice which I don't regret at all. For me MorphOS with Ambient is the same speed and response as OS 3.x was with Magellan.

MorphOS lacks of few apps which I use on daily basis with Windows but hopefully it will be soon nearly gone (ok, dualboot with OSX will be needed to use PS4, still..)

I've seen and used OS4.x on several ocasions (beginning with my A1200 with BPPC and BVision), Sam 440, Amiga4000 PPC, AmigaONE). It was after the MorphOS 2.4 was released with great idea of MacMini G4 support. Something that would even make me to buy AmigaOS 4.x - just to have it. Simply I would not be able to use Classic Amiga OS4.1 or MorphOS 1.4.5 with MacMini sitting next to my Amiga1200 (or even A4000).

MorphOS 2.7 is the 100% Amiga system for me, doesn't give a ####e about brand or sticks, sorry. Amiga was always a great OS system for me and I think MorphOS followed that patch in a proper way.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 1-Nov-2011 23:24:41
#289 ]
Elite Member

@Fairdinkem

The the main reason to use Directory Opus Magellan is that it where Asynchronous, while Workbench3.1 was not, so when you copied files or formatting partitions you where forced to wait until the operation was done or do it from shell or a file manager.

This was later fixed in AmigaOS3.5 whit AsyncIO, so now there is no point in using a file manger if just going to copy some files.

An other reason was to unpack achieves, but now we have UnArch that's setup whit def icons, so no need for file manager anymore.

I only use the filemanager when I like to compress drawers, but I have started using it less for this too, what I do now is when I like to make a package of my application is write in to the Makefile so I can simply type.

Make all
Make lha

and then the software is ready to be uploaded to OS4Depot.net. (Whit spelling errors of course.)

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 01-Nov-2011 at 11:32 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 01-Nov-2011 at 11:28 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 01-Nov-2011 at 11:27 PM.

weiseb 
Posted on 2-Nov-2011 10:58:04
#290 ]

@Fairdinkem

Funny I am one of the loonies who think Ambient is not DOpus enough.
I am still using Magellan II on Morphos.

jPV 
Posted on 2-Nov-2011 15:21:31
#291 ]
Cult Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Sounds like a massive underuse ;)

amigadave 
Posted on 11-Nov-2011 7:01:47
#292 ]

As I tried to say a few times before in this thread, my question was not why do people choose to use OS4 or MorphOS, or AROS now. It was to ask why, since MorphOS has been in existence longer than OS4 and a usable version of AROS, why did not more people switch to using it as a next step from AmigaOS3.x.

The answer is, as far as I can determine, is that too many people using AmigaOS3.x did not want to change to a PPC OS. 1. hardware price of the Phase5 boards to run it in the beginning was very high and limited to maybe only 1,000 to 2,000 or so boards produced. 2. most Amiga users were forced into using Windows PC's for work and naturally migrated into using them at home as well, because they either needed to, or wanted to be able to work from home. 3. many people migrated to Windows PC's or Mac's to better access the Internet because of the limited progress of web browsers on the Amiga and the lack of speed due to stagnation of the Amiga hardware specs at 68060/50MHz speed with limited graphics cards that were soon so far behind mainstream PC's they could not cope well with the massive expansion of Internet technologies that were always more and more graphically demanding and our RTG cards with 2mb, 4mb, or 8mb VRAM were woefully under powered compared to PC's and Mac's with 32mb, 64mb, 128mb and more VRAM.

The few Amiga users that stayed at the front of new developments with Phase5 PPC cards in their A3000's and A4000's progressed to MorphOS1.x and later some of them were able to run AmigaOS4.0 on their Phase5 PPC systems while waiting for AmigaOne PPC systems to be built.

Perhaps if more original Amiga users had been ready to make the switch to PPC system when MorphOS was first developed, there would be more MorphOS users now than there are OS4 users? Or maybe it is due to the fighting and comments made during the "Bad Old Days" that stopped many Classic Amiga Users from trying MorphOS1.x. There is no denying that brand name loyalty has a lot to do with the choices that many Classic Amiga users made back in those days and still has a lot to do with the choices of some today.

I regret voicing my curiosity by starting this thread. Although I did want to understand the apparent gap between the number of users and why there do not appear to be more MorphOS users, when it is clearly a very nice OS and is very Amiga "Like" in many ways, stirring up all the hate and conflict that any discussion always brings with it when comparisons are made between OS4 and MorphOS, was not worth trying to satisfy my questions.

There clearly are still too many people on both sides that want to perpetuate the conflict and bad feelings to ask these kinds of questions in a public forum. I am not sure if/when the fight will be over for some people?

recedent 
Posted on 11-Nov-2011 8:50:31
#293 ]

@amigadave

Quote:
the Phase5 boards to run it in the beginning was very high and limited to maybe only 1,000 to 2,000 or so boards produced.

As far as I know phase5 produced something like 10k PowerUP boards.

Belxjander 
Posted on 11-Nov-2011 10:05:40
#294 ]
Cult Member

@amigadave

MorphOS was not very prominent enough for me to even recognise it was around at the time,
and I had a negative impression of it when I did hear about it.

I chose to see what would happen with a new PPC based machine as what I was knowing of
PPC enabled Classics was generally MorphOS brining Linux alike features.

If I had to choose between the Classic AmigaOS, Linux or MorphOS without AROS or AmigaOS4.x
as a choice...

I would still choose either Classic AmigaOS or Linux to work with.

having said that however I have gotten to see some AmigaOS4.x machines and they interest me
in a way that MorphOS never got from me, it is as simple as that.

I personally see AmigaOS 4.x as a more natural progression from the Classic series,
and still hold out hope I can actually get my own copy of that working on a PPC Enabled board.

I know I will remain with limited funds and I will also need to seriously look at some means of
static safe storage as I want to expand on device drivers.

Tomppeli 
Posted on 11-Nov-2011 23:37:06
#295 ]

Can somebody tell me what is this "spatial mode" ? Snapshotting/Snapshotted icons ? (I didn't read the whole thread.)

From the post number 273:

Quote:
And something definitely lacking in workbench (which makes it a nightmare to use):

??? I don't get the point of the 2nd last picture and complaint. If one wants a quick access to the one of directories then just "Leave out" its icon onto Workbench. Or add it to AmiDock.

Quote:
Or integrated xad/iso archive browsing:

??? Maybe it confuses MorphOS users that archive view and directory view looks different (on AmigaOS). Well, archives and directories are two different things.

@amigadave
Quote:

Maybe people likes AmigaOS better or finds it better.

amigadave 
Posted on 12-Nov-2011 4:30:46
#296 ]

@Tomppeli

From my experience, very few AmigaOS4 users know hardly anything about MorphOS and it's capabilities. With little to no knowledge about something, it is hard to make an informed choice.

That is why I try to educate people all over about MorphOS and then they can make up their own minds from a different perspective than they had when they did not know what MorphOS was really like.

I don't try to shove MorphOS down anyone's throat, I just let them use my MorphOS computers and decide for themselves. Ask anyone at the AmiWest Shows from the last 4 years and they will tell you that I make no attempt to force anyone to make any decisions about switching to MorphOS. I just provide the opportunity to learn, so they can make an educated choice.

I don't know how many OS4 users have since become both OS4 and MorphOS users in the last 4 years, but there are a few that I know about, so that makes me feel like my time has not been wasted.

HenryCase 
Posted on 12-Nov-2011 10:24:49
#297 ]
Cult Member

@amigadave
Quote:
amigadave wrote:
From my experience, very few AmigaOS4 users know hardly anything about MorphOS and it's capabilities. With little to no knowledge about something, it is hard to make an informed choice.

I agree with you that such knowledge is vital when making an informed choice.

However, could the same not be said about few MorphOS users knowing much about what AmigaOS4 can do? Of course, they can say they've seen the screenshots, and read something about it, but without using the system for themselves then the same level of knowledge you attribute to AmigaOS4 users will be found.

Increasing our understanding of all the systems on offer will help us build bridges, but let's not make this a one sided argument, all sides would benefit from learning more, and that includes (many) MorphOS users.

Last edited by HenryCase on 12-Nov-2011 at 10:25 AM.

cha05e90 
Posted on 12-Nov-2011 10:36:04
#298 ]

@amigadave

Quote:
From my experience, very few AmigaOS4 users know hardly anything about MorphOS and it's capabilities

An the opposite is true as well. This is why a Pegasos II is such a nice machine, you can use both OS with it. Whatever you want to do - you have the choice of which Amiga(oid)-OS to boot.

itix 
Posted on 12-Nov-2011 11:28:07
#299 ]
Elite Member

@Tomppeli

Quote:

Can somebody tell me what is this "spatial mode" ? Snapshotting/Snapshotted icons ? (I didn't read the whole thread.)

Nope. In spatial mode you dont have a toolbar and new drawer always opens in new window. Spatial mode is a classic Workbench mode but you still get auto-sorting and icon scaling, for example (they are disabled elsewhere).

Quote:

??? I don't get the point of the 2nd last picture and complaint. If one wants a quick access to the one of directories then just "Leave out" its icon onto Workbench. Or add it to AmiDock.

I didnt know you can have shortcuts in Amidock. Anyway, what if you want a quick access to all directories at once?

It also serves another purpose: if you go one level up from a root dir you get this volume/assign window just like in ASL requesters.

You can also remove drive icons from the desktop. In this case you can use volume/assign window to get an access to those drivers when they are not shown in the desktop.

There is also one legacy feature in Workbench I never really understood. In WB if you leave out its icon onto Workbench it wont be shown in its original path anymore. I t is illogical when you can still access it using lister mode or using show all in icon view. It could be better show its icon always was it left out or not.

Quote:

??? Maybe it confuses MorphOS users that archive view and directory view looks different (on AmigaOS). Well, archives and directories are two different things.

Is there a screenshot of archive view in Workbench window? I have never seen it and I honestly didnt know Workbench would have different visuals for archive access. I always thought it was done using external software.

Last edited by itix on 12-Nov-2011 at 11:35 AM.
Last edited by itix on 12-Nov-2011 at 11:28 AM.

vox 
Posted on 12-Nov-2011 12:05:50
#300 ]
Elite Member

@cha05e90

Quote:
An the opposite is true as well. This is why a Pegasos II is such a nice machine, you can use both OS with it. Whatever you want to do - you have the choice of which Amiga(oid)-OS to boot.

More common hardware is needed. There is no sense in superiority war, when both have its pros and cons, MOS being generaly more polished and optimized and done from zero, but OS4 effort shouldn`t be left aside no way. So many years of struggle.

So, sad there is no OS4 for MacMini, having again, common platform with ability to use PPC linux and MacOS X is wize choice. As well as affordable, leaving also more funds to support software (OSs and apps development).

Since OS4 has better hardware situation, hope that MOS team will really target AmigaOnes and SAMs in the future, even that Lime nettop. In world without much PPC hardware this is also almost only choice, beside consoles. And its can`t hurt OS sales and awareness. Both camps exchange skilled users can only bring more mutual ports and projects.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle