Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
22 crawler(s) on-line.
 99 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

amigakit,  matthey

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  7 secs ago
 matthey:  18 secs ago
 OneTimer1:  36 mins ago
 RobertB:  1 hr 16 mins ago
 ktadd:  1 hr 26 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 29 mins ago
 MichaelMerkel:  2 hrs 1 min ago
 zipper:  2 hrs 25 mins ago
 Hypex:  3 hrs 21 mins ago
 1Mouse:  3 hrs 30 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Alt Amiga OS
      /  Why does there seem to be more OS4 users than MorphOS users?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
PosterThread
OlafS25 
Re: Why does there seem to be more OS4 users than MorphOS users?
Posted on 13-Nov-2011 11:03:36
#341 ]
Elite Member

@mailman2

but the number of AmigaOS-Users have not increased either. Both are more or less stable (you could call it stagnating). The concept to use custom (exotic) hardware has failed for both.

Profile     Report this post  
wawa 
Posted on 13-Nov-2011 11:13:52
#342 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

68k users are still a devastating majority. which what it most likely remains at. the proposal of any ng solution has saturated the available user base, i think. do whatever you want:

http://amigamap.com/index.html

what i really wonder about, is that mos user count on that chart is so low. perhaps they and aros people either have not been reached or do not care to register, as i dont. (would have to sign down for my a1k2 and a4ks, even though they ocassionaly run aros, anyway)

Last edited by wawa on 13-Nov-2011 at 11:14 AM.

zerohero 
Posted on 13-Nov-2011 11:33:58
#343 ]
Team Member

@amigadave

Quote:
If that is true, then maybe the OS4 users are just more full of hot air and must express it more often.

My own observations, and this really is only me, suggest that maybe the AmigaOS 4.x community deals with the soicio-emotional side of things, while MorphOS community are more instrumentally oriented. Chosing either, I think, is based on socio-emotional needs anyway, most of us already have a Windows/MacOS/Linux box to do real work.

This is my own interpretation based on quite a few years of reading both AmigaWorld.Net and MorphZone, and other sites as well.

HenryCase 
Posted on 13-Nov-2011 11:45:27
#344 ]
Cult Member

@wawa
Quote:

wawa wrote:
@HenryCase

Quote:

You can believe what you want. My point was that none of us know what level of sales volume is required before the price can drop, which is why you should assume that the price will stay consistent.

exactly what i want to tell-

Glad we're in agreement then.

@amigadave
Quote:
amigadave wrote:
If that is true, then maybe the OS4 users are just more full of hot air and must express it more often.

(Sorry about the hot air comment, it was just a joke and trying to add some levity to this thread, no offense intended. You must admit that threads here grow much faster and longer than anything on the MorphZone.org forums, so it would appear that the MorphOS users on that site are less likely to express themselves as often.)

A more accurate comparison would be to compare morphzone.org with amigans.net, as amigaworld.net is a cross-platform site. Doing so, you'll see the level of activity is roughly the same.
http://www.amigans.net/
http://www.morphzone.org/modules/news/

@amigadave
Quote:
amigadave wrote:
Hopefully some time in the future, both teams will find a common hardware platform that they both like and will port their OSes to and we can have more than just the Pegasos2 systems that can run both AmigaOS4.x and MorphOS3.x. Until that happens, not much will change as far as collaboration, or cooperation between OS4 and MorphOS third party developers.

I agree that price of entry is a barrier for increasing awareness of what OS4 can do. I believe this will be fixed with the arrival of the OS4 netbook, should it pan out in the way it's currently being presented. This device should make it much more likely that more Amigans have both systems.

g_kraszewski 
Posted on 13-Nov-2011 11:46:36
#345 ]

@mailman2

MorphOS team lost chance to produce a dedicated hardware, but the number of users has not increased.

This is plainly not true. Number of MorphOS licenses tracked unofficially has increased from 580 to 1240 since Mac mini release. It means 213% rise. Check your facts, then go to conclusions...

Cheese 
Posted on 13-Nov-2011 13:49:05
#346 ]

@g_kraszewski

and a direct link to the graph:

http://www.mm.pl/~recedent/wykres2.png

"Delving into the past can be a dangerous exercise." -hyperionmp

"I've been a supporter of "REACTION" GUI because is an Amiga OS thing." -Snuffy

"I personally prefer a vision of do'ers and makers rather than

zerohero 
Posted on 13-Nov-2011 14:02:20
#347 ]
Team Member

@g_kraszewski & Cheese

How many of those new registrations are new users? I would guess a substancial number of those are old users registering MorphOS for their Macs?

kas1e 
Posted on 13-Nov-2011 14:07:35
#348 ]
Elite Member

@zerohero

I know that at least 3-5 russians buy mos-licences for macs (before they never user morphos). Also from time to time i see threads there and there, that someone are new to morphos, and he buy a mac, and want to know what morphos is it.

Support of macs, bring more (new) users to morphos, that is for sure. Through not sure if it bring any new developers, but pretty possible as well.

zerohero 
Posted on 13-Nov-2011 14:11:48
#349 ]
Team Member

@kas1e

I don't doubt it brought in new users, but I'm wondering how many new users in relation to old users registering another machine.

Last edited by zerohero on 13-Nov-2011 at 02:12 PM.

OlafS25 
Posted on 13-Nov-2011 14:23:24
#350 ]
Elite Member

@zerohero

And how many AmigaOS users are count as more as one because they own several machines? And where are official numbers (or at least good estimates? I somewhere read a thread that estimated ca. 600-700 AmigaOS users (from a download) but there are far higher numbers around.

zerohero 
Posted on 13-Nov-2011 14:28:16
#351 ]
Team Member

@OlafS25

Yes, but this is the problem with these kind of statistics. There are no official numbers of users, neither for AmigaOS 4.x nor MorphOS, so we're all just guessing.

As I've said before though, most polls indicate that the number of users are about the same for these two options.

OlafS25 
Posted on 13-Nov-2011 14:39:00
#352 ]
Elite Member

@zerohero

Both (MorphOS and AmigaOS) are stagnating and becoming smaller not bigger (developers and users leaving. I had contact in the last months to several developers who owned AmigaOS and left the platform completely. That is the biggest loss). So instead of discussing who is smaller it would make more sense to discuss how to attract additional users and developers for the platform as a whole (f.e. by getting more software to both platforms).

Last edited by OlafS25 on 13-Nov-2011 at 02:48 PM.
Last edited by OlafS25 on 13-Nov-2011 at 02:41 PM.
Last edited by OlafS25 on 13-Nov-2011 at 02:40 PM.

wawa 
Posted on 13-Nov-2011 14:47:48
#353 ]
Elite Member

@zerohero

from hyperion support forum we can at least assume that there is more than 300 os4 users, if you consider the number of registered accounts an indication. of course im not sure if some users didnt create multiple accounts due to several licences they own, but i consider it unlikely. also i don think users that registered due to game ports support weight much.

Last edited by wawa on 13-Nov-2011 at 02:48 PM.

redfox 
Posted on 13-Nov-2011 15:20:10
#354 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Quote:
from hyperion support forum we can at least assume that there is more than 300 os4 users, if you consider the number of registered accounts an indication.

True. However, not all the OS4 users have registered at the Hyperion support forum. I finally registered a few days ago, long after the support forum was established.

Of course, I've been registered at the main Hyperion (download) website for many years.

---
redfox

Last edited by redfox on 13-Nov-2011 at 03:32 PM.

g_kraszewski 
Posted on 13-Nov-2011 16:53:59
#355 ]

@OlafS25

Both (MorphOS and AmigaOS) are stagnating and becoming smaller not bigger (developers and users leaving.

Another myth about MorphOS not backed up by any evidence.

DiskDoctor 
Posted on 13-Nov-2011 21:44:16
#356 ]
Cult Member

@thread

I just wanna say an off-topic thing.

Been here and reading all forums for like three years now. That's the first cross-system thread which is as much long and does not end up on fights.

I skimmed the thread, focusing on start and most recent posts. And I see no much fight here. And that's the first time for last three years I can see this.

Is the war over at last??

DD

Zylesea 
Posted on 13-Nov-2011 23:19:50
#357 ]
Elite Member

@mailman2

Quote:

mailman2 wrote:
@amigadave

Quote:

I don't know why Hyperion has not ported OS4 to the G4 MacMini, or other G4 Mac models, as it would surely increase their user base and sales of OS4.

MorphOS Team released MorphOS 2.4 with support for Mac Mini two years ago,

October 12, 2009.

MorphOS Team released MorphOS 2.6 with support for really cheap g4 year ago,

On October 10th, 2010.

Since two years hardware for MorphOS costs about 80 Euro.

Since one year you can get hardware for MorphOS for 10 Euro only.

MorphOS team lost chance to produce a dedicated hardware,

but the number of users has not increased.

I thinkthe user base has increased if you compare users just before teh 2.4 release with user base now. And for a "lost cahnce" of dedicated hardware...
Well, why dedicated hardware at all? Just use any hardware that's suitable. If in a few years supply of ppc Macs is too low and computing power too little and no 3rd party ubeable ppc hardware available nothing prevents to produce new powerful hardware by then *if* demand is there. Or just switch architecture. But why wasting time, money and resources now for new and expensive hardware that doesn't offer any benefit over already existing hardware?

Mechanic 
Posted on 14-Nov-2011 0:09:54
#358 ]
Elite Member

@Zylesea

Quote:

mailman2 wrote:
Quote:

I don't know why Hyperion has not ported OS4 to the G4 MacMini, or other G4 Mac models, as it would surely increase their user base and sales of OS4.

But why wasting time, money and resources now for new and expensive hardware that doesn't offer any benefit over already existing hardware?

Those questions have been answered many times.
The answers do not fulfill the Here-and-Now point of view of too many people and are thus unacceptable
to them.

Just as you have started your question above, 'But why wasting time......' only demonstrates that point.

I'll not bore those people with an explanation, who cannot see beyond today.

Just think of it as a different way of seeing the world. Just different, not wrong.

Simon 
Posted on 14-Nov-2011 0:23:41
#359 ]
Cult Member

For almost 9 years I organize the Belgian Amiga Club Meetings and this is what I see.

classic AmigaOS mainly - if not only - used for games, some occasional exceptions in the 8 years of our existence not accounted. The first nextgen OS to show up was MorphOS 1.4.x with two or three regulars ... this didn't change for years and when OS4 came out they were easily outnumbered including by myself who bought a µA1. We are speaking 2006 here.

This variated a few years but all I could see yesterday at our meeting that both OS4 and MorphOS is loosing terrain or at least not gaining it. The classic gaming crowd is still there, it even grows... probably wondering what the nextgen point is anyway. You're not getting new users among them. OS4 machines broke down including my own ... no OS4 machines at all yesterday. I don't think that ever happened since OS4 came out. 2 MorphOS machines yesterday including mine and 3 machines with Aros.

Therefore the only next gen OS that tastes like an Amiga that is actually gaining users AND developers is Aros. Altough it's just not there yet to give you that Amigafeeling, it's coming closer every day. That while Red&Blue always seem to wait for the next piece of compatible hardware that is faster or cheaper...

For me AROS is the underdog... the dog that runs away with the bone while the other two are fighting.

The Belgian Amiga Club on FACEBOOK !

The Belgian Amiga Club Website

djnick 
Posted on 14-Nov-2011 2:16:27
#360 ]
Cult Member

I will shortly add my opinion why there is more OS4 users than MorphOS.

I love to use system that has Amiga name on it, even MorphOS looks much better.

I would personally like to merge OS4 and MOS and to be one unique AmigaOS... I don`t see reason why there is Aros, MOS and OS4 when can there be only one unique OS.

I heard there is in the making MultiOS [or something like that] - an OS that will start Linux, MacOS and PC software all in once. German programmers are developing it.

Such a great idea. One OS and everything works everywhere!

Think about it.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle